Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
Here are a few pics of some planters I just finished painting. This one is 3 feet high. Too late to plant anything this year any more, but next summer I plan on putting a spike in each "cup" with orange impatiens around the spikes. Kind of hard to tell in the picture, but the base is dark green and it turns to a lighter green as it goes up.
Yes, they're all sturdy and won't tip over. The 1st one probably weighs 50-60lbs.! The bases of the first two were made using a large plant saucer as the mold, but I added more cement over the bases later. The "cups" on the 2nd one are hypertufa pots and I used a bowl as a mold. Other than that, no molds were used. They were all made differently - which one are you asking about how it was made?
Michelle, glad you were inspired! It will be fun to see what you come up with.
Greyma, I'll post a couple of pics of the process.
For the stem I wrapped a plastic water tube in bubble wrap (to take up space so I didn't need so much cement) then in hardware cloth. (The plastic tube is so I can plant directly in the cups and they have a drainage hole.)
The cup part is formed out of chicken wire. I left the water tube long so I could just pull it down to make it even with the bottom of the cup as I worked. The chicken wire is wired to the hardware cloth stem.
They might be a little "weird" by themselves with no plants in 'em, but I see those as part of a big philodendron "yard island". Big philo's are sort of impressive, but really not that exciting... those planters would let people add some more variety and color to their Philo Islands!