Urgent rabbit help

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone bottle raised newborn rabbits. I adopted 1 of my 2 females out to a home where I thought she would get more attention. They told me their male was neutered. They returned her the following week stating she was too aggressive with their male. I went out to feed tonight and found 2 dead babies on the wire cage floor and 2 live ones on the ground 3 feet below the cage. I brought the mother in but she is not accepting them as yet. I held her to try to let the babies nurse but her milk hasn't come in yet. What would be best to bottle feed them with. I only have regular cows milk and just put out a request on Craigslist for KMR. Any ideas?

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I would get in touch with your local Veterinarian.. They should be able to give you advice where to get milk in your area. I don't think regular cows milk should work.. but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
One passed away this am. It was very weak. The other is going like gangbusters.
We'll see. I held mom this am and let him nurse for a bit.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

You can get goats milk in a can at the grocery if she refuses to accept him...It would be far better for him than cow milk..

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It's not unusual for a doe to reject a first litter. The few we had to hand raise we fed them powdered milk with a bit of sugar in it. We have also used the water from boiled rice added in with it. We had good luck with it. We've done the same for puppies but added raw egg for the added fat from the yolk. I hope the little one does well.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

The most important thing to know about hand-raising a rabbit kit is the doe only feeds her babies once or twice a day. So most people overfeed the kits and they die. I hope the doe has accepted them by now.

Lana

i cross posted in pets with photos.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I saw on the other thread that your rabbits didn't make it. Sorry to hear it. They are so hard to hand raise.

Thanks.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Next time you need rabbit help go to Central Midwest forum & find Dave719. He raises rabbits commercially.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

CajuninKy is right about the doe not taking the first litter. Kitten milk will work to bottle feed a kit but they don't usually make it I found the best thing to do is get them into a warm area and make a nest for the doe and hope they catch on. The reason for the warm area is the doe will move the straw all over until she settles down and her instincts kick in this takes a day or so sometimes and sometimes they won't that breeding We never consider a doe a production doe until she has litter she is taking care of
Dave719

Thanks,
As she came back to me unknowlingly pregnant, I wasn't able to provide a proper environment for her either which didn't help. I will be keeping her now so it won't happen again. It's too hard to find homes for them here so I don't want to add to the unwanted population problem in this area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images