Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Galax plants

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 10, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
9:49 AM

Post #5693644

Greetings, I am so far behind, but hope to catch up. I now have a galax plant!. Has anyone tried to keep one as an houseplant for access to the lovely green leaves for floral arrangements during the winter months?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 20, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5694710

Hi Marcia, What is a galax plant? do you have a picture please? Nice to see you, looking forward to your winter arrangements.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5696183

here is one in the plant database Terri. Hi marcia, how you been doin? Nice to see youaround and hope to see your creations.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=galax
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 20, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5696268

That looks unusual, Thanks for the info!
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5696875

Hello, it seems that I have been so busy, but doing anything takes so much more time now and rest periods last a long time.
I have a few plants that have to get moved or put into pots for storage between the garage and the fence. There the sun never shines, so plants are protected from the freeze thaw cycle. I think I had snow on the tipped daylily pots through April. I will have over 50 pots (mostly daylily) being stored. I had planned on a plant sale, but we have run out of weather that would encourage folk to stop and think of planting.; which adds even more to the pile.
The garden is stuck in the "between" cycle. I had started to dismantle, sort and pot in anticipation of moving. Fortunately that didn't happen or I would be stuck between 2 houses as little is moving in this neighborhood now. That would have been a Very bad thing.
I first saw galax leaves in a wedding arrangement and was impressed with the sculptured, shiny effect. I will be keeping some indoors, available for use and out of the way of chipmunks running rampant.
I cut my rosehip branches today after I saw a squirrel getting his Vitamin C!!! He could have take the unripe tomatoes instead!
I have some branches cut from my curly twig willow. One actually is made of 2 branches, cut just below their joint area-thus a 7 foot V is formed. I have not decided what to do with it, may try to sell to local florist ; as it is a bit large to work with.
I do want to use some of the small branches for weaving..better get to that this week so that they can dry with the curls in place...moving it up on the "round to it list" :)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5698450

Marcia, don't overdo whatever you do. I know what you mean about the rest periods growing longer. Seems I just can't do as much, well doesn't seem it is a fact.
I have a number of the corkscrew willows started from just a twig and they are now 20'+ and we use them for arrangements and Steve is now making walking sticks with the larger curled limbs. Never thought of selling it to local florists, I know they sell it for an outrageous price at Michaels for just a small bundle of 5 sticks is $10. I saw a lady buying some one day in there and gave her my addy and told her to come by and get more when she needs it rather than pay such a stupendous price.
Wow, you still have tomaters on the vine, our garden has been dismantled since the end of August, nothing else to harvest.
So you pull up your daylilies? Mine come back in this zone but don't have near as many as you are contending with. Don't work too hard enjoy the freeze and take a chilly break from the garden work.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5702827

HI, the tomatos are green, were planted Really late and we haven't gotten a heavy frost yet,,haven't gotten any tomatos yet either.
The potting of the daylilies was to get a start on moving them, we had planned to be in a different house (larger yard) and house with no stairs..getting older.
Well, that hasn't happened..but I continued so that I could clear the one bed in the middle to seed into lawn. Then, if things change ..sigh...; we will have a lawn and be able to say that most of the plants along the edges will be moved..but giving them an idea of what they have to work with. This would also give me a place to put up a dog run ..I know..seeded lawn and dogs..but the one esp is SO allergic. She hunts through the flowers..tracking game and actually has caught some little stuff..then it is my thrill to dispose of the wee beastie and give Pippin more antihistamine...argh.
Hadn't thought of a walking stick..will have to strip the leaves and see what I get.
I also started from a few twigs and watch folks pay 7-10 at the farmers market etc for it. They also sell it in the floral dept of our grocery stores.
The smaller twigs are used for accent greenery in the airy, informal arrangements.
We have a few more days of low 50s and then down to 40-figure that I better get done what I need to do..as that cold weather is going to put a stop to gardening..esp in the one yard that gets so much wind.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5702966

Here is a link to a couple walkin sticks Steve has made.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/831879/

He had never done this before, but caught on real quick I'd say and they came out great.
We strip the leaves and let the limb dry for months, then peel the bark and let dry even more.
Wow, nice temps you still have there, we have had 2 more nights of frost here. Need to get out and get the dahlia tubers cleaned for storage, but been too cold for me to stand out there (getting old and cold here as well ).
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5706618

Those are SO neat. I think I have a dried branch around somewhere..unless I gave them all away (that might have happened). Love the wizard.
Stripped the leaves today, they had gotten dry and the high winds made them just fly away. I would love to have a neat stick to use, instead of a cane that I use occasionally-I got a Dremel set years ago and have yet to use it. Gonna do it this year!!!!!!
Will mark this as unread, so that I can keep track. I know that there are other ways, but with my memory...gotta use what you have. :)
Have tomorrow to get a few plants in the ground.
I am going to try a planter of horsetail, variegated (maybe sedge) and variegated bamboo. Need some new green to perk up the LR. Have taken cuttings from the disintegrating Ming Aralia. Hope that some take root. I haven't done it for years!! and
the large plant is just looking to worn to do a cutback this time.
Lots of round to it items for this week.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5707474

Please post your horsetail, sedge and bamboo, would love to see how it comes together. Sounds like you are gonna be busy for a bit.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5709394

Will do. It is a bit of a scramble..all those tasks that were put off...Mother Nature is swinging from fall to winter..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America