Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: First year seed gathering

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 7, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ACWinOH
Sandusky, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5695550

I've been gardening for many years but decided to gather seeds for the first time this year so I was pleased to see this article. I have some plants screaming, "hey, here are my seeds!" like cleome and blackberry/candy lily, so of course I have scads of those and I saved dried heads of some favorite annuals planning to plant the whole thing because I just could not figure out where the seeds were, as in Melampodium and a lovely Marguerite daisy. Now I'll see if I can find the actual seed, but there's always Plan A - plop the whole thing in the ground. Thanks so much for this article! I'm so happy there are folks here willing to share what is obvious to them for folks like me who need Dick & Jane directions! - Carol
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5695581

It sounds like you're off to a great start!

I was looking at a dried Melampodium flower just yesterday, trying to remember what the seeds I'd planted looked like... I picked it apart, and I *think* I saw some bits that had darker things inside the pale straw colored flower fragment... I just saved the whole thing. LOL

Some flowers with teeny seeds will drop just the seed into your baggie if you bend the flowerhead down into the bag and rattle it around. :-)
ACWinOH
Sandusky, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5696783

I'm glad to see in another thread that seed snatching is a time honored gardener's trick because I uhm... grabbed some hollyhock parts hoping to have a seed in there from my vet's wife's garden. I have admired her hollyhocks all summer and asked about a teeny start and she just looked at me like I was speaking Klingon so when the flowers started drying out I grabbed some. I hope I appropriated the right parts of the flower!! - Carol
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5698500

Good for you, getting some hollyhock seeds! Hollyhocks form big pods (nickel to quarter diameter) where the base of the flower was... you'll see a whole row of pods on the old flower stalk. Inside, you'll find flat seeds packed together in a ring shape. I have trouble with a hollyhock weevil of some sort that burrows a little hole at the base of the seed and ruins them.

If you click on the seed snatchin' link in the article above, it'll take you to an article I wrote, and you'll see that you're in excellent company with your snatchin' endeavors!
Ucabutrfly
Bristol, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5701434

This year, I have become a "seedaholic". I have collected seeds from every one of my plants.

This was a very good year for me as far as my garden goes...this is the first year I have gotten to do what I wanted to do with it, and I have to say that it turned out VERY good.

So, many seeds collected, hopefully next years bounty... ;)

Good article,

Thanks critter
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5702178

You're welcome... thank you for reading & responding!

I see you're a new subscriber this year also. Welcome to DG! I hope you'll have fun trading your seeds and chatting on the forums this winter. :-)
ACWinOH
Sandusky, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5704717

Do you know where the seeds on the Calibrachoa (Million Bells) are? Thanks! - Carol
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5704745

I'd expect them to be pretty similar to petunia seeds... however... I think I've read that many Calibrachoa are sterile (especially the hybrids) and won't produce seeds at all, or won't produce viable seeds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America