Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Part of the Trade

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 3, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

October 20, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5695572

Propagating from seeds is more difficult than the many other ways of doing it. One does not see
what is happening once the seed is planted. Knowing where to look for seeds allows a greater
chance to increase one's collection while developing patience, skills. Great article.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5696022

Actually, I often have a higher rate of success growing from seed than propagating from cuttings... but I know what you mean about wondering what is going on with the seed once it has been planted! That's why I sometimes use the method of putting the seed in a bit of damp paper towel inside a plastic baggie, so I can monitor germination. :-)

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Thanks for reading & responding!
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

November 18, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5804314

Now that I think of it, that should be the way, instead of guessing.

Since we are in the subject... In the tropics the force of the rain drops is impressive. I made the mistake of starting a bed with 24 species of mixed seed for Southern states, during November a rainy month.
The
rain dispersed a great percentage, some plants bended with the force, the rest may survive. Thanks for responding. Until next.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5804484

LOL... I can imagine what a torrential tropical rain would do to a seedbed! I had a container of seed pots last spring that I moved up onto the deck... and managed to put them right under a little waterspout coming from the roof... they got jumbled and flooded, and I never did get a single sprout!

I guess our winter is your planting/growing season... or do you garden year round there?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America