Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Any Spatzle makers here?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 45, Views: 270
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 20, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5696390

Does anyone here make spaetzle? If so, how do you form it? And if you have a recipe that would be great. I am new to it, and can't get it to turn out. (The recipe I had suggests forcing it through a spaghetti strainer. That sounds great, but didn't quite work.) Thanks.

-A

This message was edited Nov 10, 2008 2:45 PM

This message was edited May 23, 2009 4:28 PM
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5696445

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UE89

If you can get your hands on one of these, they work great! fits right over your pot of boiling water and slide the hopper back and forth, dought falls right in the water! Don't need the expensive Stainless Steel ones, the cheap one works just fine.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 20, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5696503

Thanks ladygardener1! One more gadget for the kitchen!
Kenarden
Bar Harbor, ME

October 24, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5711334

I agree w/ladygardener. The tool is very helpful.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5713751

I make spaetzle quite often. I do it the old-fashioned way and just pinch of tiny bits of dough...with buttered fingers, of course. :)
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5714694

MsK, I used to do them by cutting them off with a butter knife from the edge of the bowl, but health problems makes that task a real work out now. And I am a purest by heart, always make things from scratch the old fashion way but I am learning to cut corners.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5714848

You have to do what you have to do to get by. :)
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 26, 2008
7:36 AM

Post #5717420

What dough do you guys use? I prefer the little ones that appear to be handmade, and more like a dumpling than a standard noodle in form. What do you use for that approach? Is it just flour and egg?
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5718491

This is the recipe that I have used for years. It makes quite a bit, but spaetzle is a favorite with my little German-Poles!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaetzle-I/Detail.aspx
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5719452

Just made some today for supper.

2 1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1 cup water ( more or less- depends on the flour)
salt
some nutmeg

cut into boiling salted & a little veg oil in the water

One lady told me she puts some cinnamon in hers
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 28, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5723624

Thanks guys!
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5724270

I didn't realize that the recipe I posted doesn't call for nutmeg!! I always put nutmeg (not much, about 1/4 tsp for that size batch) in mine. I cook mine in chicken broth. MMMMMMM...gonna have to make some.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5724401

Is there any dish in particular that you guys make Spatzle with? I have only made these with the Chicken Paprikas.

I used an Emiril recipe but it was too long-winded I think. I can't wait to try these recipes. I pressed them through a larger-holed colander and it seemed to work very well.

The first time I had them was at a great neighborhood restaurant in Chicago. The Chicago Brauhaus I think. I'm not sure if I got the name right. It was over by Lawrence, Lincoln and Western (six corners). Lots of great food places within walking distance from that apartment. They served them with Goulash. I'll never forget how good that meal was.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5724438

My DH likes them with just butter, so I have them as a starch instead of mash potatoes or rice. Last night I made them with pepper steak and spooned some of the meat broth with the peppers and onions over them and of course DH slathered butter on his.
If you have left overs just brown them in a frypan again with butter.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5724447

I do like ladygardener does...I use them in place of potatoes or rice. My daughter likes hers with butter and cheddar cheese, son likes just butter and I like mine anyway you want to fix them...same with hubby.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #5724815

We just use an ordinary grater to make ours. We grate the dough on the section of the grater with the larger size holes. My grater looks simlar to the NorPro devise, minus the attachment. They are tasty with some Pfifferlinge (Chanterelle mushrooms) sauteed in butter.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5725516

Good housekeeping cookbook recipe. I add parsley in mine to go with either beef or chicken parikas/goulash/potroast/stew. In Germany they serve them the next day with sauted onions. We just cut them right off the bowl. They are not as uniform as coming out of the spaetzle maker. I have one that looks like a potato ricer, but larger holes makes nice long spaetzle (like spagetti). Then I have the one as in the link above. Hate washing the gadgets, so I just cut them off the bowl i mixed them in with a teaspoon, as did my GM and mother. The secret, with the all purpose flour is to let the dough stand for 1/2 hr. for the gluten to activate. Helene
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5725700

Quoting:The secret, with the all purpose flour is to let the dough stand for 1/2 hr. for the gluten to activate. Helene

I'll have to try that, thanks.
This thread is giving me a lot of ideas, keep them coming! Thanks A for starting this.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 28, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5725762

Thanks. I've never added nutmeg before, since I usually have the store-bought ones. I will try this this weekend. I have only had them with butter, and sometimes I sprinkle on a bit of Italian spice mix.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5726047

Boiled spaetzle ala Alfredo. depending on the amount you need to make. Disolve butter in some 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream, keep warm, couple of minutes before serving add parmesan cheese, salt pepper to taste after cheesem add drained spaetzle, serve as a pasta dish. left over ham, chopped in the food processor can be added as well...endless
This is my sp. maker- makes beautiful long noodles.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5726052

another view - the dough gets put into this end of the press.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5726082

copied from above link Helene

Dec. 31, 2003I lived in Germany for a number of years and I enjoy spaetzle. Milk was the liquid my German friends always used. Also, I simply use a grater (grating side down) to push the dough through...far easier than a colander and more uniquely shaped than the uniform spaetzle maker. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes after you have added all the ingredients so that the gluten can "relax". Good eating!
Was this review helpful? [ YES ]

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5726242

Here is a chicken paprikasch recipe with spaetzle.This goes together like horse and carriage: use a pot with tight fitting lid. Cast iron is ideal.
3-4 lb chicken cut up
3 medium onions diced- optional 1 clove of garlic smashed
1 red bell pepper sliced/diced
3 Tbs sweet paprika
salt and a dash of pepper
3 large potatos peeled and cut into wedges
2-3 Tbs sour cream
Saute onions and peppers in 3 T olive oil (butter is even better), until wilted, add chicken pieces, paprika salt pepper, stir,cover and let cook on low for 1/2 hr , checking often to make sure there is liquid. Set the potato wedges on top and let cook another 1/2 hr. (if liquid needs to be added, use white wine or water, not too much). you want some liquid to make the sour cream gravy. Before serving stir in the sour cream. Adjust seasoning.
serve with the spaetzle
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5734748

helene... I made your paprikasch recipe last night. Yum! Thank you so much. It is a keeper.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5734754

Oh yeah, I forgot... your apple cake is killer too!
trsinc

(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5747827

I love to reheat cold spaetzle in butter with little bits of onion. I like to cook them until they are browned a bit and the onions are caramelized. I'll serve just like that, with a little parmesan over top, with gravy, or with julienned, crisp sauteed, vegetables mixed in (and herb of choice).
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5767327

I grew up on the stuff. My grandmother and parents mixed it in a large bowl, tilted the bowl and scrapped it off with a butter knife into boiling water. Probably a knack to it so it doesn't clump up too much or is too loose but I think that is the way most German families once made it. Spaetzle was dinner when there was nothing else. A complete meal was spaetzle and spinach with a egg on it. I doubt my grandmother even knew there was a machine you could buy to make it.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5767378

D. There was a knack to it, you have to dip the butter knife in the boiling water between so many cuts to keep the spaetzle from sticking to the knife. That is the way I was taught, but the gadget is a lot easier.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5767566

lady . . . aha!...I figured there must be a trick. So you kept up a roiling boil as you drop it in too? Seems dodging the steam is a problem. Looked real easy when I was a kid but I'm sure it takes practice.

They might be on the net now but in the early 90s, a German restaraunt owner here couldn't find a spaetzle maker that turned out the quantity as quickly and easily as he wanted. My sis found one on a trip to Germany for him and became his hero.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5767912

You got it D_P. A good boil is the key. Sometimes I would just give the water a stir with the knife to keep things moving. The steam if a problem sometimes. And holding the bowl if you have weak wrists can be tough, I quit making them till I found the S. Maker, And I think they come out a more uniform size too. Ok, now you got me hungry for them again.
Don't find to many restaraunts that make them!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5768107

Saving the wrists is one reason we buy gadgets, isn't it? LOL!
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5768831

The spinach and egg sounds awesome.

I used to use the colander method but found that the dough was cooking in it near the end of the batch. I thought that the cutting it off the bowl method would be better but wow I needed to take a few rests! I want to get a gadget before I make it next time.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
5:55 AM

Post #5769167

pluto...another German classic is a raw egg in beer to chase a shot of schnapps. Heard tell that was my grandfather's favorite everyday on his way home from work.
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #5769199

I don't think I would be able to stomach that one!
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #5769234

The key is to use range free eggs. If you're lucky, you'll get a double yolker in your beer . . .

:-)
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 12, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5782422

What happens when the egg enters the beer? Does it poach?
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5782440

Nah...it just makes the beer slimey. The egg poaches when it hits the schnapps and acid in your stomach.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 16, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5797109

Check out this guy's approach. I have no idea what he's saying, but he's impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-o7KN8VJM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5797271

That is so interesting. The first guy is basically showing how to shave spaetzle from a board into boiling water. Impressive fast. The next one is introducting a new spaetzle machine with recipe to make spaetzle. Explaining how to achieve various kinds - long short or fat spaetzle. Fun helene
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5798346

There are a lot of YouTube videos on making Schwaebische Spaetzle, in a variety of languages.

Here are two vidoes using a potato ricer to make the noodles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqONA3XepTY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsD_s75l0E&NR=1

Here is an English language, step by step demo of making the Spaetzle using the "knock the dough off the plate with a knife" method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8brHIfPrnE&feature=related

Here are two product demo videos (in German or German dialect) for Spaetzle making tools.

This one is a perforated plate that fits over the water pot. It looks something like a flat collander. One could use one of the pasta/steamer inserts to accomplish the same.
The "SpaetzleWunder"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqqbG6ja9aM&feature=related

This one is a hand crank machine called a "Spaetzle Hex" or "Spaetzle Witch" that has interchangeable plates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi0OYXqXieE&feature=related

Both of the product demonstrators say 100gm flour to 1 egg plus small amount of salt as the basic dough recipe. The SpaetzleWunder demo includes a small amout of cream of wheat (Griess) and water in the dough.

Most of the videos use a soft dough and describe the dish as Schwaebische Spaetzle. My family makes a slightly firmer spaetzle dough which could be a regional variation.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5801092

[HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]
[HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]

These are spaetzle machines just like the picture I posted previously - not potato ricers.
also Griess is "Farina" not Cream of Wheat.
not that it matters, since no one would need to pay the price for these machines.
Helene
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 17, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5801559

Yeah. I love the arguments that break out in the comments over the authenticity of the foods.

Look up chicken and dumplings if you're from the south and in need of laugh. Not one of them resembles anything I know.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5802247

Cream of Wheat is just a brand of farina that has become synonymous with it. When we make Griesskloese, we use Cream of Wheat if our usual brand isn't available.

The Spaetzle machine in the picture that you posted looks and functions exactly like the potato ricer that my mom brought with her when she immigrated from Germany. I'm pretty sure that a potato ricer would work just as well.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5816741

Made this dish today, and I thought I'd share. it is a Croation Dish but used throught Europe in one form or another.

Perhaps some one here has different version of this.

1 large Head of Cabbage. Set in boiling water, and remove leaves as they softend. Stop when you think they too small to hold any filling. Chop the rest.
2 lbs of sauerkraut

3 Lbs of either ground pork, chopped chuck, or chopped meatloaf mix, or pork and some ground ham.
1 lrg. onion minced
3 strips of beacon minced, fry slightly, optional
2 whole eggs
3 tbsp. of sour cream
1/3 cup of long grain rice, uncooked
salt and pepper to taste
Mix well.

Take a cabbage leaf, place it in your palm and put 2 tbsp. of meat mixture in the middle of the leaf toward the core. Bring both sides over the meat mixture and roll toward the end of the leaf.If more meat mixture than leaves, make meatballs and put on top of rolls.

Place sauerkraut in the bottom of a 5-6 qt pot, Juice and all
place the rolls with seam side down on top of the sauerkraut
you can add fresh hock, or kielbasi on top of this. Place chopped cabbage on top. Cover with 2 qts or more water. Cook for 1 hour. You can also steam some hot dogs towards the very end of cooking time

meantime make garlic sauce

3 tbsp. of olive oil, add 3 large minced cloves of garlic. sweat a bit, do not let it brown. add
4-5 tbs. flour and brown slightly, add 3 tsp. of sweet paprika. set asside. Rue.

When rolls are done, remove from pot. Add rue to thicken the liquid. You are looking for a gravy like consistancy. Add more flour if necessary. Place Rolls back into garlic sauce, let boil for another 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning of sauce. Nice with mashed potato. Salt boiled potato or spaetzle.

This freezes well. Can be cut in half of course. Helene

MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5818205

That sounds like something my husband and daughter would absolutely LOVE! They are Eastern European food junkies, lol.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5820473

I don't like cabbage and it does not like me. This stuffed Cabbage is a bit sauer (kraut) and the garlic sauce is very delicate. This I love - only once a month in winter- because it freezes well is a plus. Helene

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America