Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: How do you do your passi cuttings and seeds

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 43, Views: 513
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5703308

I been thinking about trying to root some cuttings, but the one time I tried I lost em all. I have had some vines put up some new shoots and thought about seeing if I could try again before winter cold kills them back to the ground.

Also too , please, what is th ebest way to start the seed.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5711319

I use Straight Vermiculite in foam coffee cups i soak the seeds over night in orange juice i plant about a 8th deep i put the cup in a baggie sealed tight. i change the air every day i use a straw to add air keep moist but not really wet . for cutings i dip the ends in root tone and do the coffee cup method in a baggie use vermiculte allso in the cups paul
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5711336

Paul to the rescuse again! : ) Thank you for the information. I have even tried to dig these things up by the roots and transplant to a pot but have lost them.

Orange juice. Wow. That a totaly new idea on me. I just happen to have a small container of it in the fridge , so will give it a try.

Do you happen to know what is in the orange juice soaking that helps.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

October 24, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5711398

HI Starlight, It is the acid in the oj that helps to break down the germination inhibitors. I start mine like Paul, but I have also had success using a heat mat. I have also been successful rooting them in water and in sand. Hope that helps, Linda
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5712475

Cool. That so ttotally cool. Gonan post a link to here for the folks I sharing the seeds with cuz none of us know how to start em inside.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5749806

This is great information, i just got passi seeds from my mom who was in Nicaragua and ate this humongeous passi fruit about 1 lb big, wow, anyway i am trying to get ideas how to germinated it, Thanks guys!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5752155

One question I forgot to ask is how much oj do we use. is it ful strength or so much oj and so much water or what and does it matter what kind of Oj?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #5752257

Any oj ful strength Just enough to cover seeds Paul
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5752288

Thanks Paul. : )
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 4, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5752712

Hey!
I have had alot of luck soaking seeds in Seaweed(diluted) for a couple of days and just potting them up.. Some are easier than others to germinate.. Actinia being the easiest for me so far.. I have some sp JS I have had NO luck with ...LOL still trying tho.
As for cuttings I use floral foam and some rooting Horomone.. very easy process and nothing needy about it..just have to keep the water clean...I may have some seed to trade if anyone is interested.. I will list it on the seed forum...
Kylie
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 4, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5752758

Here is the Floral Foam Method I use..
This works so well!!!! Thank You msbatt!

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

Best of Luck!!
Kylie
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5752792

Thanks for postign that Kylie... I have a small block of lfoam here that I bought the other day to make an arrangement in, will cut some off and giv eit a try and see how it works for me. : )
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5758573

The foam is Oasis not just the foam to make arrangements, it is what they use for fresh flower arrangements. The Oasis is great for all kinds of cuttings. I did a Brug cutting the other day and it is doing great also.
Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 6, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5758766

Congrats on the Brug cutting!! I have never got them to take in oasis.. Did you use RH?
Kylie
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5759106

Yes, it was very wilted when I got it home and I cut 1/2 the leaves off and stuck it in the Oasis. By that evening it had perked back up and is doing fine now.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5760411

Great info I am certainly going to try it!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5888994

Hi,
I just got a small cutting of a Passi w/ a red bloom. The lady coulnd't remember the name of it but I saw the bloom on the parent plant it was red with the "hairs"? coming off of it. I have NO experience w/ these. Anyhow, I brought it home and it had wilted a bit, and stuck it in a glass of water till I could get more info. I had brought in a very small pot w/ African violet soil, and was going to dip in rooting hormone and put in that but after reading this am rethinking that whole idea.
Help?!
mj
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5889791

MJ,

The humidity needs to be high to prevent wilting. The easiest way to do this is to put the cutting in a gallon plastic bag that you blow some air into (open it and blow in new air twice a day--the CO2 from your exhaled air helps). Also, the leaf area needs to be reduced to no more than 2 square inches--just cut off part of the leaves. You can use Oasis foam cubes or small cups or plant pots with potting soil to root them in. Rooting hormone helps, but isn't necessary for some passies. A little bottom heat (75 to 80 degrees) also helps, but check to make sure they are not overheating. Temps below 70 degrees will delay or prevent rooting. If you are using Oasis cubes, you will see when they root. If you plant the cuttings in potting soil, the new leaf growth will indicate that you have roots. Most passies will root in 2 to 3 weeks. Once they have rooted, I transplant them into 12 oz styro cups, and put a clear plastic cup on top as a humidity dome. I start with 3 or 4 holes in the humidity dome cup, and cut a couple new ones every day for 4 or 5 days. Then the humidity dome cup can be removed.

Good luck!
Mark
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5889796

Here are some pics:

First, a Lady Margaret cutting that has 3 nodes. Note the Gulf Fritillary damage to one of the leaves--make sure you don't have any catepillars or eggs (or spider mites) on your final cuttings. The small flower buds show the direction of the growing tip, which is removed here, but to the right.

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #5889803

This next pic shows the leaves, buds, and tendrils removed from the bottom 2 nodes, and the leaf size reduced on the top node. You only need 2 nodes, but the inter-node distance was short on this cutting, so I left 3.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5889808

Next, the bottom node has been dipped in rooting hormone. The new roots grow from the node, not the bottom of the stem.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #5889817

The next pic shows the cutting ready to be "planted" into a wet Oasis cube. I really like these, but have had some cuttings root faster in small cups of potting soil--I think the fertilizer in the potting soil helps.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 14, 2008
5:55 AM

Post #5889839

Here it is planted in the Oasis cube, and ready to be put in a plastic bag or tray with humidity dome. If you are using Oasis cubes, you may need to press the foam in around the node--air space around the node may prevent rooting. I check the cutting every day, and keep them fairly wet (but not dripping). I did this one tonight, so when it roots, I'll post more pics.

I had no clue how to do this until 6 weeks ago. I had had a couple of failed attempts at rooting in the past because I thought the roots grew from the bottom of the stem, so I wasn't planting the node. So I stopped by a local nursery to get some rooting gel, since I thought my rooting powder wasn't good enough. The nice lady behind the counter explained everything (after busting out laughing at me-LOL), and now I have a tray full of rooted cuttings.

If your cutting doesn't make it, just get another one next time, and wrap the stem in a wet paper towel, reduce the leaf size, and put the cuttings in a plastic bag until you get home.

Mark

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #5889904

LouisianaMark,
Thanks!! Very good instuctions! Don't have any of the Oasis cubes ( not sure what they are but think might need to get some! ). but do have some small plastic pots and seed starting mix, african violet mix and regular potting soil and PH stuff. I see the nodes your talking about. I stuck the cutting in a glass of water while trying to figure out how to do this and it perked up alot!! So will go out in morning and do as you instructed but with soil.
ohhh, checked out your trade list...are those Porterweed seeds still good/available?
Thanks
mj
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5890672

Mark. Thanks for posting the tutorial. Now I know why I been havign such terrible luck with rootign the cuttings. Didn't realize with the passi's that the roots would only grow from the node.

I was beginign to give up on tryign to root anymore after many failures. You have given me new hope. : )

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5891512

Whowoooooooo Mark, great explanations, I''ve had some successes but only put mine in water and they took, some just did not do a thing and dried up!

Ella, great thread!
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 15, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #5892970

Hi MJ,

The small pot with potting soil should be fine. Just put it in a plastic bag until it roots. I still have plenty of porterweed seeds, and they are very easy to grow. If you want some (or anything else on my list), just send about a dollar of postage stamps (I have bubble mailers). I'm in the address exchange.

Starlight, I was doing the same thing--and figured I just didn't have the green thumb. LOL

Clemen, I've read on some other threads that the roots that form in water may be more fragile and difficult to transplant--don't know though--I've never tried it. Both the Oasis cubes and small cups of potting soil have worked well for me (50% success or better). I had just about given up on some aristolochia gigantea, but they finally rooted after 5 weeks. In the future I may try a diluted fertilizer solution to water the Oasis cubes.

Mark

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5893146

ok...African violet potting soil it is with root hormone. I have a left over Ocean Spray Cranberry juice bottle I can make a little greenhouse out of..???
Will get envy off for Porterweed...whoo hoo!!! Do you have paypal? I can just paypal you the postage if ya want.
mj

This message was edited Dec 15, 2008 6:41 AM

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5896034

Mark, read your comment about the cuttings in water, well the last four ones that gave me roots, i potted them, two gave to my friend, the other two left them here in NY and I KILLED them, sniff sniff!

My sweet friend from RI gave me some of those cubes you are talking about, I am going to try them!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5896084

Mark next time add a small amount of Peroxied paul
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 17, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5899963

MJ,

Don't worry about the postage--its Christmas time! I'll just go ahead and send em out. Is your address in the exchange correct?

Paul,

What's the peroxide for?

Mark

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5900288

Mark,
It sure is!!!!
Thank You!!!

Paul, I'm curious about the peroxide too.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5901020

it stops the water from turning green it all so adds Oxygen to the water i use it when ever i root in water paul
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

December 27, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5933358

Here is the cutting after 2 weeks. The roots started to show a few days ago. This one is ready to be planted in potting soil.

Mark

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5933423

How Are the Fruit Doing on yourLM ? Paul
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2008
9:10 AM

Post #5946733

Thanks everyone for this great information! I've had no luck getting cuttings from any passiforas. Plan on using oasis cubes in my next attempt.

You can purchase oasis at the Dollar Tree for $1.00...It's a generic brand and not as good of quality as the florist shops use, but should work just as good for rooting projects. I can't tell the difference between the two brands of oasis but my daughter, the florist would never use the generic in her floral arrangements.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

January 2, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #5954176

Paul,

I thought I had responded to your question about my LM fruit, but I guess not. I got a total of 6 seeds from 5 fruits with the LM x caerulea cross. Those are soaking now. My fruit from the nephrodes pollination dropped a few days after it snowed here a couple of weeks ago. Will try again this summer.

Cannagirl,

I've never tried generic foam cubes, but the Oasis cubes are soft and crumble fairly easily when dry (they are not the hard foam used to make fake flower arrangements). If the generic ones are similar they should work fine.

Mark
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #5954199

When Doing Cutings Make Sure that you Takeing a Growing Tip
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #5956958

Mark, These oasis blocks from the Dollar Tree are just like the ones you refer to. Flower shops use these to make fresh flower arrangements. My daughter calls them "generic", but if you think they'll work, I'll sure try them.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #5963013

phicks..
I really think that is one of the "keys". Myself being included, I think too many of us just grab a piece of the plant and assume ( you know what that means don't you??), that it will grow. Finding the right "spot" is sooo important. ( This from someone who did her "research" later...rather than before...
mj

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 11:36 AM
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #5964521

Phicks. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to try adn take some cuttings when the vines first start coming out of the ground and are abotu 4-6" tall. Do you think better success might be found?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #5964535

maybe

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #5997255

Mark,
got the seeds today...and a nice surprise besides the Porterweed seeds.THANK YOU SO MUCH...if there's ever anything on my list you'd like just let me know!!
Now, off to find a spot that isn't occupied that will be suitable to start these.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6097879

Kylie2x,
I used your Dollar Store floral foam method and now have 3 rooted cuttings of my Lady Margaret. Worked well w/ a Variegated Hibiscus also...Pipevine- well, the verdict's still out on that one. Boy those things are touchy.
Thanks for the tip...now I'll probably buy the local Dollar Store out of their floral foam.
mj

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America