Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: No bread machine here so....?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 3, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5703817

If a recipe says to mix your dough and put it in the bread machine just on the dough cycle but finishes the baking of it in the oven----how do I accomplish the same recipe minus the bread machine? I forget. What all is going on IN the "dough" setting? I imagine just mixing and rising?

How long does that setting last?

And OT: I DID used to have a bread machine. I carted it with me through 9 moves across the country and only used it a few times. I just don't like the texture of crust in a bread machine. Or the lumpy hole made by the mixer attachment that has to bake in the bread lol. So won't be buying another machine, just wondering how I can convert all these great bread machine recipes into bread baked in the oven. Can you help!?
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 23, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5707554

What I'd recommend is to use the name and ingredients of the recipes to look up on the internet and find recipes that tell you how to make them without machine.

What's going on is the machine is kneading the dough for you to activate the gleuten in the flour, and the raising of the yeast, and possibly another kneading session. Each recipe is different in how many times you knead and rest, depending on the desired finish of the bread.

So what I'm suggesting is, say you had a great rye bread recipe with the machine. Take your machine recipe in hand, google 'recipe:rye bread' and then compare your recipe with the ingredients you find in your search and pick a 'from scratch' recipe that looks close to yours--for instance, if your recipe contains something a bit unusual like buttermilk, or eggs, or another flour like buckwheat, or coffee to make it dark, try to find a recipe with the same ingredients. They might be in different quantities due to the slightly different conditions in the bread machine--I personally haven't ever used a bread machine, but friends have, and I think I recall them saying the recipes didn't exactly translate straight from machine to 'from scratch'--but if they're close, try that one out.

Keep an eye out for descriptions of what the crust is supposed to be like and if it's not what you want, remember you can change that to suit yourself without hurting the bread itself. I mean you can make bread be soft, hard, crusty, slick and shiny, or studded with seeds, with different techniques. Decide what you'd like on the outside and go looking for perhaps another recipe that will tell you how to achieve that then apply it to your bread.

Did that help?
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5707848

That sounds like a good idea, compare recipe ingredients!
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 23, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5708505

that's kinda how I do it when I want to make something new, but I don't have a recipe. I read a *lot* of online recipes, comparing them, and you soon see the basic classic elements of the recipe--it's the ingredients repeated in the majority of the recipes--which is what I'm looking for.

Given a choice between a recipe that has me chopping onions and bashing garlic cloves and one suggesting I use canned soup and flavor envelopes, I'd choose the first. But then I've got time on my hands. Your needs may be different.

Hope your bread turns out well!

Melis

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America