Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: URGENT BLOODY WORM STOOL!! ANYBODY HERE TONIGHT CAN HELP?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 32, Views: 218
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5706400

See pics..I think it might be cocci. It is in my frizzle and silkie cochin brooder.
Pics can hopefully help you. It is NOT like TRUE blood red, that's why I thought nothing of it when I saw traces a few days ago.

I give medicated started chick food and sometimes fresh spinach and grains, fine grit, and sometimes fine corn. Change water 2-3 times a day, clean cage w/ clorox disinfectant wipes and rinse with water and REPLACE rubber shelf liner and paper towels every to every other day!

Please help...I just want to make sure
I JUST RECEIVED a few things to put in the chix med cabinet in case of emergency. One being Sulmet Drinking Water Solution (Antibacterial). I am very careful and won't use antibiotics if I don't have to, but bloody stool always worries me. Esp since I contracted e-coli 2 years ago!

~music
Here is the first pic..then I found 3 more poops in a row minutes after- sorry to those that think this gross...

(edited to add the word NOT to true blood red)

This message was edited Oct 22, 2008 10:29 PM

Thumbnail by musicnotes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5706406

This is the same poo showing the snottiness of it...

Thumbnail by musicnotes

musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5706408

This is a fresh one found 5 minutes after this one

Thumbnail by musicnotes

musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5706420

And another soon after that shows the worm-like thing. I found this wormy thing in 3 different poos...all about the same size, kinda snotty and blood at the end, but when breaking the wormy thing, there is nothing different looking than poo inside. Does that make sense?
thanks

Thumbnail by musicnotes

copperstone
The Dalles, OR

October 23, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5706518

Musicnotes, I don't think this is ccocci. Please, if you possibly can, take the "sample" and get a vet's opinion.
With the blood showing though, I wouldn't fool around about it. Some parasite infections can kill an animal very quickly.
CS
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5706605

That is similar to what Anya's poop looked like when I took her to the vet. They found no cocci, but very high bacterial levels and treated her with an antibiotic. I'd go with copperstone's suggestion, take a fresh sample to the vet and have them run tests.

In the meantime start them on unfiltered ACV in their water and garlic in their food. I think TF even mentioned something about cayenne in my thread about Anya.
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5706613

Here's a link to that thread in case you want to browse what they told me...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/905207/
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5706635

They are only 2 weeks old. Where would they have got a parasite from? They've only been in the brooder. I have only used SMART WATER (a water w/ electrolytes added), never tap. What is ACV? I just added sulfet to their smart water.
Any ideas?
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5706663

Probably from eating poop, dirty food, drinking contaminated water, or ... I'm not sure where they would have gotten it. It sounds like you clean quite thoroughly!

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar. Its supposed to help with the acidity levels of the drinker, making it less inhabitable for bacteria.

My parents drink it every night with honey and swear by it keeping them healthy! folks on here give it to their chickens! :)
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5706667

Found what ACV means...thanks.

Let me add a little more info. All are playful and appear happy. They get their smart water from a bird feed (like a cockatiel that hangs from the front ot the brooder bin...none of their poo gets in it. I literally change their bedding almost every day, and even p/u poos when I see them.
Their poo is not watery.
Thanks again,
~music
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5706703

I side on coccidiosis but heres some questions.

How old is the bird?

Has it lost weight and has a thin breast?

Does it sit hunched and appear cold?

has it been in contact with older birds or thier poop even if they just walk threw it?

Blood in the poop of young birds in my experience is always cocci and i have allways treated it as such i don't put much faith in vets (just my opinion) unless they know chickens and their diseases and in my experience most only know dogs and cats.

I read the post above and would like to say medicated feed contains amprolium which controls cocci by vitamin deprivation and if you give them any sort of vitamins you are counter acting the amprol and it is not protecting your chicks from cocci.

musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5706719

OK...read the thread...thank you for that..because I am not a full member, YET, I can't search. Would really like to see similar pics.

I have no poultry vets close to me, and barely get correct care for my pups, let alone take a chix there.
So...not sure if I can get the poo tested.
I read on that thread that I can't add acv to antibiotic water or it will neutralize. Is Sulfet an ANTIBIOTIC as well as ANTIBACTERIAL?

Can I still add garlic to the water with the sulfet in it.

Sorry for all the questions, but in the middle of fixing my pox birds, hatching the pox chicks, and now this. When it rains, it's actually a monsoon.
~music
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5706749

Hi Harm,

How old is the bird?
they are 2 weeks old - 1 is silkie and 1 is frizzle and I have a little serama chick in with them because they mothered her by herself

Has it lost weight and has a thin breast?
No, in fact growing like a weed

Does it sit hunched and appear cold?
No- actually been playing in the sandbox and pecking at his reflection in the brooder wall. NEVER cold...actuall, the feet of the blue frizzle were really hot.

has it been in contact with older birds or thier poop even if they just walk threw it? Yes...they came to me with a 5 wk old white silkie and their first 3 days together, the big silkie shared the brooder w/ them...that was 1 1/2 weeks ago. She (russia the 5 week old silkie has large healthy poos, is very playful..esp in the sandbox with the month old serama chicks outside.

Thanks

EDIT- RUSSIA, BLue (frizzle) and PUDGIE (silkie cochin) all moved in last week. Russia appears to be clear, and the baby serama that I brooded them with is fine, too as far as poo. Put it this way,,,I would have NEVER knows there was a problem if I hadn't saw the blood.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2008 11:10 PM
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5706798

They may have got it before you recieved them when their stool becomes bloody that means it's in the severe stage and unless the chick was sick you wouldn't know it had it until this stage.

I recommend Amprolium in their drinking water for 5 days goes by trade name Corrid and no vitamins as it will interfere with the amprol.

I learned 5 years ago the hard way about useing medicated feed and giveing them vitamins i thought the vitamins would be good for them but they came down with cocci and 2 died and thats when i researched it and found out vitamins can't be used with medicated feed because vitamin deprevtion is part of how the feed works.

Going against others here i wouldn't give them the sulmet or ACV or garlic Chicks are very tender and their systems get upset easily and some things can make other things worse.
I have only used chick starter and clean well water on all my chicks for 5 years and they all turn out healthy and beautiful^_^
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5707723

OK...got up at 4:30 this morning to check on them...so worried I couldn't go back to sleep. They were playing!
They are eating their poo...even if I just cleaned the cage and there's a few poos, they pick at it!
At 9:30, I saw my baby serama cleo poop a little blood in hers too. and then she danced off over to Pudgie to wrestle :)

And Pudgie (black cochin silkie) has a very dark caramelly color poo...consistency of melted chocolate.

Harmony, I have to call around to find the Amprol, but had already put the sulfet in their water before you wrote this, because the bottle said, "FOR COCCI, etc". Do you think it OK to keep them on that until I can find a feed store w/ the Amprol?

Thanks again,
~music
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5707776

I don't have any experience with sulmet does it contain amprol?

I have only used amprol when i have cocci but it says its for cocci then i would use it.

They are spreading it among themselves if they are eating their poo chickens are drawn to blood for some reason.

I will check on the sulmet and be back
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5707798

I went to this site http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-soluble-powder.html and it said sulmet was for the Control of cocci.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5707819

Here is cocci informationhttp://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/coccidiosis.htm
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5707833

Found it!!! and yes the sulmet will cure the cocci http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_suls_sulmet-soluble-powder.htm
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5707872

oh...awesome. I had to order it through Jeffers, because I couldn't find it anywhere around here. So, I was afraid I would have to pay for overnight shipping...not that my babies aren't worth it, but I am just spent! Monetarily, physically and mentallY!

Thanks again..as usual, you saved the day :)
~music
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5707992

Your Welcome you can keep useing the sulmet and sorry if there was any confusion on my part.

I had only used the corrid and didn't know sulmet cured cocci I do now thanks to you.

I hope they get better I know all to well how it is to have a sick chickens and feel helpless^_^
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5708233

My thoughts are with you {{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5708632

Thanks-hugs back :)

Thumbnail by musicnotes

InnBetween
Newton, AL

October 25, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5714575

feed diatamacious earth to your babies. It's harmless to them, but kills paracites. get it at the health food store. I put it in all my feed to keep out bugs, but it's benifits are 2 fold. It also kills paracites in the consumer. My husband and I also use it in our food. Keeps us critter free too.
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5715066

Hey InnBetween,
Thanks for that. I was checking that stuff out on eBay and wondered if it was really as good as they said it was.
I will definitely get some. If I remember correctly, it is eco-friendly or homeopathic, too, right?
_~♫♪music♪♫
( o>
/,,) \
|'_,,'
InnBetween
Newton, AL

October 25, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5715882

yes. it's wonderful. biofriendly and all natural.
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5716948

Innbetween, I am only correcting your spelling so people can look this stuff up and find it. It's spelled DIATOMACEOUS ... I ONLY know that, NOW, after searching for EARTH (much easier to spell!) in eBay's poultry category. Going to buy some and sometime, I am going to get my link up of my new babies!!! It's been a crazy week and have only had time to pop in and drop a response or question here and there ;)

Thanks,
~♫♪music♪♫
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5717021

I use it in my nest boxes for all my birds and i add a little cedar shaveing and it keeps the mites out of the nest.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5717876

For anyone who wants to know, diatomaceous earth (DE) is made with the shells of diatoms. They are tiny creatures who live in the ocean. When they die, over time they build up at the bottom of the ocean and form a fossilized mass which is a sedimentary rock. It is harvested and crushed and that's what DE is. Their shells absorb lipids (fats) so the reason it works is because it dehydrates the soft bodies of insects like mites and lice, etc, so they die. It does not hurt anything on chickens though. It is advisable to wear a dust mask when putting it out because inhaling it is not advisable because you don't want tiny sharp particles in your lungs.
InnBetween
Newton, AL

October 26, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5718068

this is where I get my DE from. Good prices.
http://www.herbalhealer.com/
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5718271

Thanks...I like that website. I already ordered from someone on eBay 5# for $9.99 and $8.50 s/h, BUT I got 2# brewer's yeast and they are not charging extra shipping. So, not a bad deal, right?
~music
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5719032

How are the babies doing? Any better?
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5719556

They are doing great! No more blood clots. Traces of blood, but it is, like, a pinkish color. 1 more day of the sulmet and we'll see where we are.

In fact, I was just playing w/ them on the bed. I put a towel on the bed and bring a brood in, and my son and I have a "play date" with them. Good way to spoil them and get them a little more trusting and "cuddly" :) Oh! And a great way to get RARE Pics that you can't get anywhere else! heehee

Cleo is millie & myrtle's baby, born 9-22, Pudgie (cochin Silkie), and Blu Roo "Frizzle" are 2 that I bought with RuSSiA (pure white 7 week old silkie who is out with the FAB 4 Serama 7 weekd olds, now.) from a friend. They all take care of eachother, but Blu is DEFINITELY a roo...from his comb to his attitude!

Here's a pic.

Thank you!

~music

Thumbnail by musicnotes

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America