-
AuthorContent
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2001
2:54 AM

Post #12639

Hope someone can help. What is the best way to root a cutting of Vinca minor? Found a stem on a variegated Vinca which was all pale creamy yellow. Took a cutting... Will this root in water, or should I try it in soil? Thanks! John PS I am not sure this even has enough chlorophyll to survive...
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2001
12:32 AM

Post #123787

Hi John,
I've only rooted Vinca major from cuttings but I think Vinca minor would work the same way. The best way is division with some roots but cuttings can root. Since both of these vines make roots along their stems where they touch the soil, I would lay the vine piece down horizontally in good soil, cover the stem but not the leaves, and keep it evenly moist...not soggy but don't let it dry out. My major vines rooted easily this way...it may work for your minor one. Good luck :)
Trish
Pardancanda
"down the Shore", NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2001
3:17 PM

Post #138841

Thanks, Trish! John
luvublooms

October 3, 2001
3:32 PM

Post #138856

I have these ,both the minor and major.And I can only grow it w/a rooted division.The variegated one takes a good while to get established.But it will not die on you if kept moist when first planted.
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2001
2:20 PM

Post #139559

I have the varigated and it has never bloomed. I wonder if it needs more moisture. It is in a very dry area of the yard.
luvublooms

October 4, 2001
2:27 PM

Post #139563

Cazique, this probably flowers every other year for me b/c I didn't see it bloom this year.I like this trailing vine b/c it gives great contrast among your vinca major or other dark foliage.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America