Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Passiflora parritae

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 12, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5711305

Any One Have this one? Pictures of it here http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/100132/

This message was edited Oct 24, 2008 11:40 AM
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5741763

Well ?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5741944

Paul, it seems you are the only one! LOL It's really beautiful - wish I did have one to show you.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5747632

Are those one of the ones that don't like heat? I don't care, I want it anyways lol.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5747889

It can take heat
mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5748123

Actually, parritae cannot take heat well at all -- maybe for several days, but the prolonged summer heat of the deep South will quickly kill it. It's a Tacsonia-type Passiflora, none of which can handle prolonged periods of temps in the 90s F.

Mark (zostropz) sold some this year, and you may also want to check http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com. Strybing arboretum sells some at their plant sales, but that's in San Francisco. My impression is that it's relatively easier to obtain if you live in the San Fran area, but even then it's difficult to come by. It is said to be very difficult to propagate by cuttings, and getting the plants to set seed is hard, since there is only one clone in the US, and it is not readily self-compatible. The best information that I've come by is that parritae is NOT extinct in the wild; rather, it is still known to grow natively in at least a couple places in South America.

If you're in Florida, you'll likely need a special cooled greenhouse to grow it.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5748179

Am in Florida and Mines Doing Good Paul
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

November 3, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5748488

Paul, I think I may have seen some on ebay at different times, but I am not sure who the seller is. Check them out. Linda
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5748506

I will I have a Small one It Did ok this Summer Got it from grassyKnowls seller most likely Mark
mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5748740

Paul,
I've watched the Grassy Knoll site pretty closely for over a year now, but I've never seen parritae for sale there -- are you sure that's the plant you bought from Elizabeth at Grassy Knoll? If so, did you have to special request it from her?

I know you grow a lot of Passiflora, but I'm still suspicious that your plant is not a parritae. I'm in North Carolina, and even though our summers are a touch cooler than in southern Florida, I know from experience that Tacsonias die pretty quickly in the heat, having lost many of them myself (my other Passiflora, on the other hand, flourish in the heat). Did you grow the plant indoors? Or in deep shade? No Tacsonia of mine has ever survived a summer outdoors here.

Might you have a picture of the plant? Even the leaves of parritae are pretty distinctive, and that may put my skepticism to rest. If you indeed succeeded in growing parritae in Florida, then your technique is quite enviable.
~Nicholas
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5749043

Ill Take a Pic Of it In the Am Paul
mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5766304

Hi Paul,
Did you ever get a chance to take a picture of your parritae?
~Nicholas
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5766703

No But i Dont Belive it is Now My Wife Bought It For Me E Bay Thought She Got It From Victoria Paul

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America