Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up: Grans Plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand UpReplies: 2, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WeeDave
Scotland
United Kingdom

October 24, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5712027

I'm ashamed to say i've only started showing an interest in plants for the past 6months or so. My mum inhereted this one from my gran after she passed away. It started to get too big for my mum so i talked her into giving it to me (Which has caused me to be intersted in other plants). I've had to re-pot it twice in the past 4months and now, finally, it seems to be happy. Is it a true Christmas Cactus? Also, according to my mum it has never shown any signs of flowering for at least 5 years and she's beside herself now as it has buds coming through. My gran was a very special woman to me, and this plant is the only living connection i have to her. She loved this plant, and i want to do her proud by keeping her memory alive through this plant. Yes, i realise it sounds strange but, I'd like to think my gran is still with me by making the plant go in to flower.

Thumbnail by WeeDave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5721868

I have one that a friend gave me that was her great grand mom's. I wish I had a plant that connected me to my own mom or grandma but...
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #8236478

According to this well written article you have a modern hybred Christmas Cactus. I think you are going to soon discover that it is one of the very lovely cream colored Christmas Cactus. I prefer the whites to light yellows to all others. Stand by...it is almost show time. Enjoy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I want one! KyWoods 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:11 PM
Thank so much doccat5 1 Dec 19, 2007 2:49 PM
Great article roadrunner 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:06 PM
Cool temps also will cause budding tommyr2006 9 May 4, 2011 6:24 PM
I have one older DaBenDan 3 Dec 9, 2011 7:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America