Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: How do You keep your geraniums over the winter?

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5712427

Just a quick question: I have 10 hanging baskets with ivy geraniums and trailing vinca that I would like to try to save over the winter. At this point, I have given them all 'a haircut', due to their size over the summer. Also have 6 other plants to save. Are the results better to pull them and dry bare-rooted or keep them potted, store in the basement until spring? My mom has done both over the years, but now in her late 70's, has decided to just leave them in pots and store in the underground storm cellar. Says they grow back out just fine.. I've not attempted to save vinca before, but each little start you buy around here runs at least $2 each... and I have plenty to save. My SIL says to plant it in the flower beds outside and it will take root... !?
Have only been in this area since March, moved from SE Indiana south of Indy. Not sure how winters are here along the Ohio River/WV state line... Any general consensus or different suggestions?
Thanks,
Kathy

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5726388

Hi Kathy, I'm just now seeing this! I can't help with the geranium question, cause I only tried it once bare rooted and it didn't come back when I planted it out in the Spring. BUT, I can tell you that the info you got about the vinca vine is very true, and if you don't watch it, it can become a thug. Just wanted you to know!

Come visit with us on the chat thread, we'd love to have you!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5756889

If you have room for them in your basement, you can store them down there for the winter, baskets and all. Just water them very sparingly over the winter so everything doesn't shrivel up into dust. Stuff will lose its leaves and go dormant, but should bounce back in the spring. You can cut things back a good bit, too, first.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
5:09 AM

Post #5765357

Thanks, Gardenwife!
I repotted most of the geraniums into groups in some of my big pots. I originally cut the geraniums back to about 8 inches or so, similar to pinching in the Spring, but have since trimmed them back again. I think they like the cool basement, they don't get so thirsty! Some of the baskets I just left the plants in and hung them on hooks in the joists downstairs. Even with a little light coming in, the vinca has grown a couple of inches already, and the geraniums are adjusting to the lower light level. Of course, the cats think they're interesting, so I have to keep them trimmed back so they can't reach them!
My baskets that are now empty will be filled with evergreens and silk poinsettias for the Christmas holidays, can't wait for Dec! Have a nice weekend!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #5765507

I put a big, coconut-hull hanging basket of fuchsia in our utility sink in the basement. We have a dehumidifier going down there, so the poor leaves are already falling off. I'll see how it goes with it, though, just water it every so often so it doesn't get totally crispy. We can compare notes come spring! :)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5775788

Sorry, didn't catch up with your reply until today, hubby on vacation, so he's underfoot... LOL. I've been giving them a drink once a week, but they're finally starting to look like they're drying up. The Vinca looks much better than the geraniums, but time will tell. I also dug up my dahlias today (I planted 10 bulbs, and dug up a total of 42 rhizomes, of course they were mostly in big clumps), and repotted most of my other stuff I had on the porches.. I know I'm behind, but we had a decent week of lukewarm weather here last week and the plants were still green and happy. I even took out some of my houseplants to the back porch that gets southern sun in the afternoon.
I had 2 huge pots on the front porch that had Dracena, english ivy, ornamental grasses and begonias. I repotted all except the begonias, they had gotten too cool and were wilted, but the ivy had rooted in 3 places where it had contact with the soil, so I got multiple pottings of that. It looks really pretty in the smaller pots.
Have you ever separated a Boston fern? I bought one at Walmart this summer, and it is just huge!!! My son said he just used a sharp knife and cut his into 4 quarters and repotted them last year and they all grew over the summer... This is my 1st year having one, as I just never had the nerve to buy one.. Mine is currently in a 3 gallon size pot, and I have been bringing it into the living room (north exposure) to keep it in the light that it's used to. If I am to divide it, can I do it now or wait until Spring?
If you happen to have any ideas, I'll take them!!!
Thanks,
Kathy
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5775802

Ferns are not my forte, I'm afraid. I know they like to be misted in the winters indoors, and I am not good about remembering this. They shed so much, too, more fuel for kitty urps. LOL
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6192873

Hi you all
I was on the chat room and badseed told me to find the Ohio River Valley forum and here I am. Hope some of you see me as this will be bumped up. On thesubject of the geraniums I have done it both ways. I have some now in the garage window and they have actually bloomed during this winter. Also there are some in a brown shopping bag hanging on a nail. The last time I looked they had a lot of green so I believe both will be all right. You lose a few but reallty what have you got to lose.
Veronica

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6192907

Hi Veronica.

Come join us in the chat room. You're most welcome there!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6194666

I will if I can remember next thur. Do you get on Tue evening also?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6194812

Oh Hey Veronica...I get on it when ever I see it's open...but I meant the ORVG chat room...the coffeehouse. Glad to see you made it there. We have an RU in late May or early June. Please plan to come...maybe you and Lou can carpool!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6195531

Where is the RU? I got a d-mail from Lou and she and I are going to meet soon. The RU sounds like fun. What do you all do and how many people come?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America