Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Boca Bob's Watering System

Crestview, FL

Boca Bob: ok here is a thread for you to list the stuff needed to make a self watering system and how to do it, I'm anxiously waiting for a list of the materials needed and how to put it together, use pics if possible. I know I'm not the only one desiring this information and this is the perfect thread, please include that part about the barrel since I have a well on how I can do it also, so we are waiting......
joy112854

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I will take pictures tomorrow at Lowes and post them.

BocaBob

Just so everyone knows, its just a simple irrigation setup that's been available for years.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

well, its new and exciting to us. looking forward to it. I know I cant order in more until I fugure out how to water in less time than it would take with so many

Crestview, FL

BocaBob: You are the greatest and much appreciated here.
joy112854

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

OK here we go. The first item is a back flow regulator, not necessary needed to make the watering system work, bu recommended. It attaches to the water spigot from your house.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next is a water pressure reducer which is attached to either the spigot or back flow regulator

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next is the battery timer which connects to the water pressure reducer

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Now you connect your garden hose to the timer

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next you attach the hose fitting to the end of your garden hose

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next you slip one end of the 1/2 inch black pipe into the other end of the hose fitting. (no tools needed). Also do not unravel the black tube yet. It will be real easy when water is in it.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next - at the other end of the 1/2 inch black pipe, put on the end fitting to crimp the pipe. Looking good!!!!!!

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Now turn on your spigot and turn on the timer to get the water flowing. Now it will be esay to unwind the coil of 1/2 inch black pipe and place it where you want it. The pipe in the pic is 100 feet, but you can buy more or less. After you place the pipe, TURN OFF THE WATER AT THE TIMER.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Now right beside one of your EB's or planters or grow bag take the hole punch tool and pop a hole into the 1/2 inch black pipe.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Next insert a 1/4 inch vinyl coupler into the hole in the 1/2 inch pipe

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Now cut a length of the 1/4 inch vinyl tubing long enough to, for example reach 1/2 way down the fill tube of a EarthBox and connect the other end to the coupler you just inserted into the 1/2 inch black pipe.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a example of my Bob's GT Planter See the 1/2 in pipe?, the 1/4 in hose going into the fill tube? Easy!!!!!

Well that's all there is to it. After you have all your plants set up, You need to set the timer to the time you want the water to flow to them and if you want it daily, multiple times a day or once a week or whatever.

Now if you are working from a well, I would bring water from that well to a big barrel lets say 55 gallon or so. Then I would connect the 1/2 inch black hose to a pond pump (the next picture down) but you need power to that pump and a different timer (a electric i.e. Intermatic 7 day outdoor one)

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's the pond pump

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

And don't forget to buy a pack of goof plugs for your hole punch mistakes in the 1/2 black pipe

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to automate their watering needs. I'm always here for questions.

BocaBob

Crestview, FL

Bob: How would I carry the water from my well to the barrel, my whole home is on the well, I have two facets, one in the front and one in the back of the house. What is the purpose of the barrel? I was told that since I had well water, which tastes wonderful by the way. LOL, that I guess because it didn't have softeners in it and other stuff that city water has it might clog the tubes? I get by not having a water softner by using fabric softner in my clothes washer and have water softner should I want a bubble bath; but other than that, I don't add anything to my water. Don't know how far down my well is; but, I have a good pump, it's electric.
joy112854

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

joy112854 - I'm sorry!!!!. If your well water comes to a faucet then your just fine. I don't know if it will clog the lines or not, but I wouldn't worry about it. Hard water usually shows its ugly face when it is heated as far as I know. You don't need a barrel or pump at all. I misunderstood you.

Bob

Crestview, FL

Boca Bob: All I know is I don't have a water bill and don't have to drink bottled water, I can drink the water right from my facet. If it doesn't get hot, as I'm not boiling it, I should be ok, now the question is this, I boil my pasta in it, am I safe? I worked for Ionics as a side job once and saw some of the magnified pics of the stuff in the water in the Broward county area, and saw a list of what was put in it to make it supposedly drinkable for everyone, that is when I started refusing to drink city water. We are told to keep bleach out of the reach of our children when they are babies and here that is just what they put in the city water, chlorine and of course additives; to change the taste and to help with teeth development. Wonder what would have happened if man hadn't come along and developed all these additives you think? LOL
joy112854

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

For those of you who read my earlier post about using BocaBob's system and it cost me $75? That's because I went to HD and BocaBob went to Lowes. GO TO LOWES!!! They carry all the Mister Landscaper parts Bob posted in the pics. And, the price at LOWES will come up to approximately $35-$50 vs. my $75 at HD.

Linda

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda - I went to Lowes today and bought a whole watering setup including the Orbit timer. Total spent $68.96 plus tax. I bought everything listed above in the pictures except the backflow regulator. Of course that doesn't include the pond pump.

BocaBob

Thanks, Bob. Good to know I didn't get taken to the bank by going to HD! Still haven't managed to turn my system on yet! Still have time before my plants start guzzling like pirates! But, I'm more concerned with being ready for the Spring tomatoes, et al!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda - I went to Tplants house on Saturday and installed the same watering system on 25 Eathbox's. Took me 1/2 hour and it was up and running.
Good luck with yours

Bob

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Yeah and I must say It makes my life a lot easier and 1/3 of the cost of the EB people.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bob, thanks for sharing. What great easy-to-understand plans.
This thread is a keeper!

Shoe

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Bob, very helpful.

If anyone needs/wants a Microsoft Word document of BocaBob's Automatic Drip System instructions above, just send me your email addy in a d-mail. I just pulled out the section that starts with the first piece and ends with the buckets and put them into one document for ready reference.

Linda

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Thanks sweetie, you are fabulous, I printed out one copy off the computer so I could send on ahead to Mike to study. LOL He will be the one putting it in if it gets done.
joy112854

Thanks Joy,
Does that 11-28 mean a b'day is about to happen?

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Yepper; but I'm not adding the years these days. LOL
Boca Bob: Is there any difference between the watering system you are selling on the market place and this one?
joy112854

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Thought I'd post this for those of you who just want to print it off...

Mister Landscaper back flow regulator
Water Pressure Reducer
Batter Timer (Orbit Brand)
Mister Landscaper Hose Fitting
Mister. Lanscaper 100 ft Poly Tubing
Mister Landscaper End Fitting
Mister Landscaper Hole Punch/Goof Plugs
Mister Landscaper vinyl coupler
30 ft coil of black vinyl tubing

OK here we go. The first item is a back flow regulator, not necessary needed to make the watering system work, but recommended. It attaches to the water spigot from your house.

Next is a water pressure reducer which is attached to either the spigot or back flow regulator

Next is the battery timer which connects to the water pressure reducer

Now you connect your garden hose to the timer

Next you attach the hose fitting to the end of your garden hose

Next you slip one end of the 1/2 inch black pipe into the other end of the hose fitting. (no tools needed). Also do not unravel the black tube yet. It will be real easy when water is in it.

Next - at the other end of the 1/2 inch black pipe, put on the end fitting to crimp the pipe.

Now turn on your spigot and turn on the timer to get the water flowing. Now it will be esay to unwind the coil of 1/2 inch black pipe and place it where you want it. The pipe in the pic is 100 feet, but you can buy more or less. After you place the pipe, TURN OFF THE WATER AT THE TIMER.

Now right beside one of your EB's or planters or grow bag take the hole punch tool and pop a hole into the 1/2 inch black pipe.

Next insert a 1/4 inch vinyl coupler into the hole in the 1/2 inch pipe

Now cut a length of the 1/4 inch vinyl tubing long enough to, for example reach 1/2 way down the fill tube of a EarthBox and connect the other end to the coupler you just inserted into the 1/2 inch black pipe. And don't forget to buy a pack of goof plugs for your hole punch mistakes in the 1/2 black pipe

This message was edited Nov 19, 2008 7:32 AM

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

araness- nice consolidation!!!!

BocaBob

And also a half inch connector if you have to extend your half inch line like I did when I cut it to short! Was listening to Rush Limbaugh and was distracted for a moment while making the cut. Had to go back to Lowes and bought two just in case. Didn't finish up today as I have to bury some of the 1/2" line so I don't mow over it and cut it up. Be great when I'm finished. Probably tomorrow. I'm going to look into Bob's auto-fertilizing system for my roses. Maybe my son will buy it for me as a Christmas present? I'll have to start hinting!

araness --- You really impress me! Nice goin--

Pine Island, FL(Zone 10a)

I can't thank you enough for this thread. I'm off to Lowe's right now. Hopefully they haven't gotten clever and changed their suppliers on me....

Nope! I was there yesterday to buy some goof plugs and some connectors as I expanded my system a little.

Paw,
Can you hook up different types of ends?? I need some drip irrigation types to water the maters in the larger 20-gallon tree containers. Then I need some to spray the broccolis to keep them cool. Then just plain ones that fill the eBuckets.

Can I mix and match the different ends coming off the same main line?

Sure! I got all mine except for a few pieces from Bocabob at www.Instagarden.com. He can really advise you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.