Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings: dried apples

Communities > Forums > Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and WeddingsReplies: 8, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5717606

Sharon,
When I was young we would go to my grandma's and she would give us dried apples. Sometimes she would send some home with us. I used to love them, but haven't had them for many years. Great article, the stack cake sounds good.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5717875

Perfect timing. as always. Yesterday I picked the rest of the apples I could reach, and today I dry them. I will confess to using a new-fangled dehydrator, but when my first effort showed me 24 apples will fit in a gallon sized baggie easily, I was hooked. I'm printing out the stack cake recipe.

enabler *g*
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5717883

Thanks for reading the article, debilu, and yes, the stack cake was really tasty. It's always good to hear from you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5717904

Catmad,
You might as well bake two while you are baking, and I will be happy to test taste one of them for you.
Thank you so much for writing.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5718341

Hi Sharon! As always I so enjoyed the article and it was indeed "perfect timing". I have a new recipe book and it calls for apple-butter in several of the reciepes. Well this Yankee hadn't a clue how to make it!!!! lol
I really think you should change your DG name to 'Angel on Call' as you are always there for someone to lean on, re-kindle a forgotten memory, share words of comfort, even travel across the world to keep a promise and build a garden. Today your 'pixie's Angel' as I can now go try my new recipe's. Bless you and thank you for your uncanny ability to write vivid memories that we can all "see". :-)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5718402

Goodness, Pixie, your words bring me to tears. Happy tears, though. It is always so good to hear from you. I do hope the recipe is exactly what you need. And I also want to know how it turns out for my " Yankee" friend.
Thanks for writing!
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5720146

It's true, you seem to be just the one to make things better in many ways, Sharon.

I was just given at least a bushel of apples so I'll be drying and making butter and sauce...you should be sampling some one of these days.

Thank you for the new cake recipe - I love molassas and have it on hand, but no buttermilk.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5720265

Hi Paws, I thought of you when I reread my article after I finally got my computer back today. I thought: I really hope Paws sees this recipe, she could make apple butter for sure!
But you gotta get buttermilk. It just wouldn't be the same. And iron skillets. That's a for sure must have for the cake!
Can't wait for the samples.
Thanks, it is always so good to hear from you.
Sharon
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5720325

I'll get some buttermilk. I don't have iron pans any more though-they were getting too heavy to manage - I only have iron griddles, one and two burner sizes, so I'll have to see how it comes out in regular cakepans. I'll probably have to play around with times and temperatures.

I make something that others would call apple butter by the texture, but it isn't because it isn't so sweet. I should be working on apples right this minute, in fact.

Interesting that Bett tossed in some mints - I did the same when I made some applesauce last month. I've got lemon balm everywhere here. I was thinking it would be tasty in apple jelly, which I haven't made yet. No bee balm around that I know of, though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Stack cake memories Hemophobic 11 Oct 27, 2008 6:13 PM
Thanks! wind 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:13 PM
great article as always Dutchlady1 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:17 PM
Apple Butter greenbrain 3 Oct 27, 2008 4:32 PM
Nice phicks 2 Oct 26, 2008 5:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America