Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

October 26, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5717744

I swear, Sharon, you have to be related to me! How can we have so many of the same memories, if not? I remember my grandmother making stack cake and I remember a little green apple called Limbertwig that my grandfather loved. They stayed green and made the best fried apple pies! Maybe your tree was a Limbertwig. I wish I had my grandmother's recipe for stack cake, but I'm saving yours instead. Something else I recall that I love to this day is buckwheat pancakes. Granny always had a flour bin and she kept the wheat flour and buckwheat flour in the bin. Oh, those pancakes. So good and, now I realize, so good for you.

Granny's family was from Buncombe County (Asheville), of English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish descent, so I know many of these dishes you and I both recall were brought with the early settlers from the mother countries, as were many of the peculiar phrases Granny used. Oh, how I love and miss my grandmother! She was a feisty little lady and she and my grandfather never owned a car. We were fortunate to live close enough to town that they could walk anywhere they needed to go and walk, they did. It was not uncommon for them to make three trips to town on Saturday: early, early in the morning to what we called the curb market (a farmers market), then back to town for shopping later in the morning, maybe another time later in the afternoon for groceries from the "Dixie Home" (Winn-Dixie) and the A&P.

Ah, well, I digress. I so love your articles for they speak to the memories of my own family.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 1:25 PM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5717932

When my computer gets home from the shop, remind me to tell you of my own Welsh, Scottish, Irish, etc ancestors. Sounds kin to me!
Thanks for writing, always nice to hear from you.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

October 26, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5718564

I'll certainly do that. Kin in spirit if nothing else, methinks!
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5719335

Memories for me too. My dad's mother made what she called dried apple cake but sounds very much like the stack cake. Yum! Hers would have about 12 layers each less than a half inch thick with the cooked and seasoned dried apples in between and on top.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5719507

Exactly, some did make them like your grandmother's. I liked the apple butter better though, because I liked the filling to be smooth, not chunky. The difference is only in the straining, and right now I could go for either!
Thanks so much for writing.
Sharon
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5719578

I have never heard of a stack cake or using apple butter in cakes, but my grandma had a green apple tree. They called them July apples, but the correct name is Yellow Transparent. http://www.acnursery.com/acn_apple.php?id=yellow transparent
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5719887

Well, actually, granny's filling was smooth cause she had cooked it down. Wow, haven't had one in many moons - she has been gone at least 30 years. I loved going to her house.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5720087

Might be the same tree, Kelli, I will look at the link. I can remember it, but it has been gone a long time.
Plantnutz, yes, the cooking is what is important, but some folks would leave it lumpy and I never liked that.
Nice memories, yes?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5721575

Yellow Transparent...Granddad had one of those trees...we kids were not allowed to TOUCH that tree..."that's your Grandma's tree that she makes apple sauce from so don't touch it!"

He would let us go up in the orchard to play...with firm instructions to "only take the apples that have fallen to the ground"...HMMMM anyone knows that forbidden fruit is better so...we'd pick some.

He would stop us as we passed back through his yard...look at an apple and say "you picked this off the tree"...we finally figured out that he could tell because the fruit that had fallen was brown on the end of the stem...SOOOOO we we smart...or smartelecks...we'd dab a bit of dirt on the end to make it brown!!

He died when I was 12...and there is so much I still wanted to know from him. Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5722003

Nice memories, right Jo? And maybe a smile or two? There is a lot we can learn from our older relatives, mine are all gone now, but somehow I can resurrect memories quite often. I'll see a flower and remember someone, or sniff a scent and remember another.
Thanks for writing, I guess you are back home now with lots of new memories.
Sharon
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5722453

Sharon...We ARE the older relatives...at least I am!! LOL Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5722457

Well, yeah, Jo...there is that!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dried apples debi_k 8 Oct 27, 2008 2:17 AM
Thanks! wind 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:13 PM
great article as always Dutchlady1 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:17 PM
Apple Butter greenbrain 3 Oct 27, 2008 4:32 PM
Nice phicks 2 Oct 26, 2008 5:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America