Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: unusual request

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 6, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

October 26, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5717844

Hi, I'm looking for pruned pieces of bamboo, a few dozen if possible, about 1" in diameter x 1-2 ' long (or I can cut them). It doesn't matter what variety. A friend needs these for breeding frogs, an object for them to lay eggs onto. Told you this was an unusual request. lol
I'm happy to pay postage or make a trade.
Thanks for any help with this,
Sheri
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5771425

I just have to ask, why bamboo???
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

November 9, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5771550

That is what was requested by my friend. He says that the particular species of frogs that he raises like bamboo for laying their eggs underneath of when a piece is slanted inside their tank. Apparrently, this replicates the conditions in their natural habitat.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5771830

Does it have to be fresh bamboo shoots, or could you go buy some of those bamboo stakes/poles that they sell at all the garden centers (around here they even have them at places like Home Depot)?
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

November 10, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #5773306

I have not seen any that are big enough in diameter. Besides, you don't know what chemicals have been used on them or where they come from, ect... Fresh and natural are really the only appropriate conditions for healthy spawn to be produced. The eggs are going to absorb whatever they come into contact with.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5773728

I'd make sure to ask a lot of questions then if someone does have shoots to offer you--many people use pesticides and things in their garden, or even if they don't use pesticides if the bamboo is a screen along their property line then their neighbor's pesticides could be on it so you'll want to understand the history of those too.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

November 10, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5774829

Yeah, I guess you are right about that. I figured not having to do that would be a given, but better safe than sorry.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America