AuthorContent

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5718001

Funny that I discovered this article today because I'm making apple butter for the first time this evening. My apple butter was raffled off at a fundraiser, so now I have to deliver. I have other canned jellies, relishes, & pickles put up, but found this particular crowd to be fond of apple butter. When others found out that I was making some, they asked me to make an extra jar for them. I've lost track of whom I've promised it to, so I'm hoping that I make enough to go around. I didn't know that apple butter was so popular!

I especially enjoy your stories because my family is from rural NW Tennessee. Your stories remind me of their simple country lifestyle that I enjoyed while visiting as a child. Here's a link that you might enjoy of old wood stove recipes and one of comfort food recipes -- both from the Weakley County, TN geanology website. It's my way of reconnecting with the past.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/old_time_recipes_and_wood_stoves.htm
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tnweakle/comfortfoods.htm

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful stories.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5718196

Thanks for the links, you might see them as reference in future articles! I did not make apple butter this year, and now I wish I had. Nice to know that you make it, too. I'll bet your friends will let you know if you forgot your promise to them.
So nice to hear from you, thanks for writing.
Marigold42
Broken Arrow, OK

October 27, 2008
10:12 AM

Post #5720896

Thanks for sharing your memories of Apple Butter and Stack Cake. Now we never had Stack Cake, but then Mom was English/German and her cooking was influenced by her mainly German descent Mother and Grandmother. Her Apple Butter was out of sight.

The property we'd just moved to following a devastating house fire the summer I was 13 had an old Peach Orchard and a fair number of apple trees with extremely sour little green apples. Mom bought more apples from a neighbor's orchard that were red and one day that fall she made Apple Butter. I remember when she asked me to taste this wonderful, thick, spicy and fragrant paste. It was fantastic, my first remembered time to taste and eat such a thing.

We had Cast Iron skillets and we'd grease the skillet, toss in a couple of slices of buttered store bread and let it fry brown, on both sides. Each slice of bread was then carefully lifted to a plate and smothered with that reddish brown Apple Butter that Mom had canned. Wonderful. A meal in and of itself. Thanks again.

Marigold42
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5722070

Oh, I had forgotten about the apple butter on bread. My grandmother and mother baked the best biscuits, and I always had them smothered in apple butter, I remember taking them to school for lunch sometimes. I think I could have lived on apple butter. And your description is perfect: thick, spicy and fragrant, and reddish brown. What a great memory.
Thank you.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dried apples debi_k 8 Oct 27, 2008 2:17 AM
Stack cake memories Hemophobic 11 Oct 27, 2008 6:13 PM
Thanks! wind 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:13 PM
great article as always Dutchlady1 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:17 PM
Nice phicks 2 Oct 26, 2008 5:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America