Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Rooster Stained Glass Panel

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 39, Views: 516
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

October 26, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5718298

It's finished, a little late, it will be sent off soon as a birthday gift for my daughter.

I learned how to repair a piece that got broken on this panel after it was finished. Overall, it was a neat and challenging project.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

planolinda
Plano, TX

October 26, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5718366

very nice--your daughter will love it! who wouldn't?!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 26, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5718481

Beautiful work. I know your daughter will love it.

katiebear
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 8, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5764905

Oh gourd , that turned out just beautiful ! I think stained glass is the coolest art around . maybe someday... sally
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 8, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5764936

I just signed on a few minutes ago..

Linda, Katiebear, digger ... thank you.. I'm going to town on glass here.. I am enjoying this so much.. here is what I am working on this week and I am anxious for the next one... I've got some plans for a really neat project..

Here is a desertscape that is finally taking shape here 16"x20", will be framed also with cactus overlay, not sure which cactus yet, i've got some done but not too sure I like them. I'm stuck on this size for now. I guess I feel comfortable here, hopefully I can get a little different shape with the next one. I just started the foiling today.

Thumbnail by Gourd

kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

November 9, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5770639

You all have inspired me to try new things. I am doing mosaics for Christmas gifts and hope to take a few stained glass classes this winter with DH. I posted some picture on another site awhile back. When I get time I will post some here.
Great job Gourd!
Lyn
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5771232

Gourd, that will be gorgeous, as usual. Where will it hang ? It might be a great addition for a patio.

How do you foil ? By 'hand' or with one of the machines ? I have a Tiffany style lampshade class coming up that will require a lot of foiling and it is a process I have had very little experience with.
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5771752

Top Notch work, Gourd!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 11, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5778566

Thank you guys..

I foil by hand, I did purchase a foiler but it looks intimidating, and the instructions say you have to practice and after a couple of hours you will go faster... I figured by the time I practice I should be done with this... I may try it some day. they had one that looked like an old disc player and it seemed that at the class they were having trouble getting it to function smoothly, I am trying to remember what the gentlemen said he had to do to it ( I'll ask on Friday).. it seems that he had been fiddling with it trying to get it to work. The one I got is a GlaStar foiler. The other one that I mentioned above can be seen on the Glass Crafters Stained Glass supply on line site.

Here is a photo of the Rooster before it left this morning to Albuquerque, this shows the texture of the glass a little bit better than the first photo. I'm going to miss it.

Oh well.

Thumbnail by Gourd

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5779639

Your daughter's gonna LOVE it!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 12, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5782505

Thank you Ima, she called yesterday and said she really liked it and it made me happy.

Here is this desertscape soldered, I have to patina after I finish the overlay, I'm still not sure what to put on it.

Thumbnail by Gourd

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 12, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5783390

how about a coyote and a moon .sally
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 14, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5788185

That sounds like a great idea Sally, I've got to see if I can make it small enough.. I'll go try to draw a small coyote or two howling at the moon. I'll put paper cutouts on it first to see how they would look.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 17, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5802366

I can't find anything to look good on this piece. I may just put a moon up at one corner. Everything looks just too big. Maybe it should stay as is. I'm almost done with it.

On another note:::: I drew a chicken pattern the size of this rooster, it'll be a set.. for DD. And then I am going to make myself a set, I really like them.

edited for grammer (the older I get the worse my typing gets too)

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008 3:21 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5803311

looks ok to me as is . a set would be fab .i sure like stained glass , maybe someday i'll get a chance to try it . i found a guy that does it and he said anytime he's working on it , come down and he'll show me how . free!!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 18, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5803421

thanks digger, I just have to do the patina and polish, then put into a frame.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 18, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5803466

digger, be sure to go for a couple of classes, once you see someone do one, then you can see how simple it really is. I am a visual person most of the time, so it really helps when I see someone do whatever it is that they are teaching.. you'll have it down in no time.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #5804411

Gourd, I spent the most of summer digging out for a new room on the back of my mobile home , but am NOT going to tie up next year (summer) with lengthy projects that will take me away from doing what I want to do , and believe me ,stained glass is high on my list of want to's .I'm glad you said it was easier than most people think , so will really get into it, come spring when we return . how about glass? Is it easy to come by , or does it cost an arm and a leg ? I've gotten into painting on glass and have a hugh inventory of paint for folk furniture . going to paint , paint , and cut glass . DH is going to have to relearn how to run the washing machine. thanks for the inspiration ! Oh and of course , will be laying rock to make terraces and walk ways . that's a got to . hugs, sally
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 18, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5804984

I was so happily surprised when I started this class at the Senior Center no less.. Some of the glass can be expensive, but, there is affordable glass too. It ranges from the high end to the low end. Also, keep your eye out on freecycle and craigslist. And the ads in the Thrifty Nickel those weekly car/garage sale papers, I found 10 sheets of glass in one of those plus all the supplies and tools needed to cut glass.

Don't forget to check out the local stained glass shops for Scrap glass, they sell it for a couple of dollars a pound and if you go in person, they let you pick your pieces. Hobby Lobby is the only source here (don't for get they have 40% off coupons) you could be buying on tool at a time, but, there are stores that make doors and they also have sheets of Architectual glass that you can buy, it is mostly clear, but it has some neat texture... also, come to think of it, I don't see why we couldn't ask for their scrap glass. Just keep all these in mind..
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5805020

alRIGHT!! Looks like I'll be making lots of contacts ,come spring . darnit gourd , if you (or me)lived closer , we could go bumming together .lol ,thanks. sally
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 18, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5805109

Oh, don't I wish we lived next door to each other. I go by myself, and sometimes it gets darned lonely. But I get excited anyway. lol, then I come and share here. My DH went to ABQ to take the rooster and he stopped at a shop there and got me some scrap glass and one of the owners of one of the shops sent me a box full of clear scrap free, some really neat pieces in there too.. I want make a Hot Air Balloon panel with most of the small pieces, it will work out great and I'l'l use mostly clear for one of the Hot Air Balloons. Also ask on freecycle for any scrap stained glass, you never know. IF you start stocking up a little here and there, you will have enough to start your first project..

If you have a restore, go there, I found a couple of pieces there also.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 18, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5805802

going to get my son to build me a viberating shaker for sea glass too . want to mosaic with it. can't wait till spring .he does stainless steel fabrication ,so he can make me a good one . sally
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 24, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5827206

Hey guys, here's Mrs. Rooster, meet Ms. Chicken.. hopefully I can get her done by Christmas time to join Mr. Rooster at my daughter's house.

this is the pattern I drew, I changed a couple of things on the Chicken during the glass cutting stage at home. My instructor has been gone a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to surprise her with this panel. I have about two weeks to get it done before she gets back.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 24, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5827215

I tried to use some of the same glass and colors, just a little bit different.. here it is before foiling, I'll start to foil today.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 24, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5827225

Sally, did you get that glass vibrator? They have the tumblers at harbor freight on sale or you can also use a coupon when they mail them out..
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5827241

Beautiful----I love the curved lines & colors!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 24, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5827253

Thank you ima!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 27, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5836183

Happy Thanksgiving!!! not a turkey that's for sure!

It's done!

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 27, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5836193

I played with the Picasa program a little bit and managed to put the photos side by side. This is how they will look together.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 27, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5836199

Here is the desertscape framed, some of the glass is water glass. IT is hard to see the water glass on the floor.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 27, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5836204

Here it is against the window, hopefully the waterglass sections will come thru. They look like mirages in the desert.

Thumbnail by Gourd

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5836270

I really like the way your background pieces flow together in the chickens designs---nice job! And your desertscape is beautiful, 'specially with the light behind it! I think not adding the moon or coyote was a good decision.
Congrats on getting them both finished!
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5836277

Wonderful, beautiful, exciting and just plain cool. They are really neat pieces of art and anyone will be proud to hang them in their windows. Good work Gourd.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 27, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5836595

Thank you both, I'm really happy with the desertscape, one of the Ladies at the center wanted to buy it to install it on her back door. I'm glad It wasn't finished at the time, she said she would take it as is. I'm debating on where it will go because it really looks prettier than the photo shows.

I think my practice is over though, it is time to start on my 10 windows. They are 10" by 4 ft long each. I've been playing with a pattern and after the holidays, it'll be time to go to work on these. Thank god they are all the same size and I'm going to TRY to be consistent with the design so that I can be done by Spring time. You all may not see me for an awful long time..lol (wish me luck)!!!!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5836647

That's ambitious! I hope you'll start a blog on DG and take pictures all the way through showing your progress...I've done that on a couple of mine, and it really helps me to be able to look back when I get bogged down and frustrated. And I can send the link to my friends and get their encouragement----you know everyone here will be rootin' for you!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 29, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5841033

I'm getting myself ready for them..lol.. have some beveled items coming that I ordered this week.. they will go on the windows. I am so excited, finally got a theme that we can live with for the kitchen. Also, got enough beveled pieces to insert in the backsplash ( only a few will go on there). Hopefully I won't ruin the house by the time I'm done.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 5, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #5969517

Gourd,
beautiful! I'm trying to catch up on everything . will check out harber freight wed . digger
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 8, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #5981529

Thanks digger,

I've made five sets of grapes that will go into the windows and have more to grind, i'll take a couple of photos this week. I really need to clean around the house and empty stuff out, it is driving me nuts.. I collect everything you can think of.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #5981808

I love grape designs, and I'm cogitating about some in tile. Hope you'll post pix!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 22, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6037082

Collect everything? My kind of people! digger

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 272 Aug 9, 2014 2:11 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America