Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Passion flowers & butterflies

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 7, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessaree
Anderson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5718463

These are blooming like crazy & the butterflies are loving them! I counted up to 7 on one flower today...just not good or fast enough with the camera!

Thumbnail by jessaree
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5727558

Very Pretty and lucky you to catch them on the camera. I have gulf frits everywhere and the only vine that is left is the alata-curuela (spelling?). My lady Margret I think is dead from a 3 gallon plant 3 months ago from all the cats eating it. My red like yours is suffering this ear too but in a seperate problem it just not growing. Very weird year for us..

Thanks for the pic and the reminder of why I am growing them!
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

October 30, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5731347

My passies never got to bloom this year. The butterflies ate them to nubs and as much as I wanted to see flowers, I could spray the plants. DH kept telling me to spray them, but I though how can I post host plants for the butterflies and then not let them eat... Anyway, that is a really cool shot. Thanks for sharing it. Linda
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5734083

The butterflies ate all mine one year, then the next year they way more than made up for it. They grew and bloomed like crazy. Maybe the same willl happen to you.
Maydreams27
Port Saint Lucie, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5734241

When mine were small and needing regrowth, I sprayed them so they would grow really thick and full. Then I stopped spraying. now their is a feast for them whenever they are ready. lots of eggs now
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5741949

All my Passifloras are being eaten by caterpillars - not a leaf left on them. The P. vitafolia is the ONLY one they aren't eating!
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5746824

Kay the cats dont eat my Vitafola either although it seems to be struggling this year anyway. By the wya how long does it take for seeds to germinate? The ones you sent havent done anything yet...
Maydreams27
Port Saint Lucie, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5759139

Sometimes seeds can take up to a year to germinate. The passi seeds are very hard to germinate and call for more patience than anything!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America