Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 130 - The Big CHILL Begins !!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 185, Views: 1,523
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5719339

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/913547/

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008

Post #5719341

Good evening all...High of 59 * here on the hill today...53* now...I got the last of my plants including my 4 roses potted up, just in the nick of time...They are calling for a cold front here tonight, and maybe even the *s* word north of us...I have a big Rosemary bush in a pot that needed to be brought in as well...

I felt a bit better by noonish today, and went to town...Didn't have any choice...We were out of milk and bread and a few other necessities, so I had to go...I got some more potting soil and finished up what needed potting to move and/or hold over winter...
I came home from the grocery, put everything away and started a big pot of Chili...Got the sheets off the beds and in the wash and hit the porch to finish up out there...I got the last of the porch items washed down and brought in and stored in the library..Since Paul is not coming here, that room is empty, or was, and I am using it to store things that are ready to be moved...As I box up, they go in there, along with extra furnishings from upstairs that we are keeping...

Thanks for the thoughts Robin..you are right...I am worn out, and not ashamed to admit it now...I look around me and cringe...More time to do this will certainly help...

Glad to be of assistance Sue...Sorry I couldn't find the big one.. I never use it anymore so you would be welcome to it...

Robi.. I hope you and Nora had a good drive.. time out to recoup is always good...Ask Sue Taynors... LOL I fortunately get that most every day thanks to my job...

Bons...I sure do hope you are feeling better...This corn cutting with all of the mold on it here is killing me...They still have the huge fields (over 200 acres) across the road to do yet, and I just know I am gonna wish I was dead when they do... ;-((

Jim has a 9am at the Base with his Neuro Surgeon in the morning, and then I am on for work after Noon...IF they need me...no call yet, so maybe I am off...I can use it...I need the extra day to catch up the nothing I did on Saturday...and I do mean nothing... I stayed in my jammies all day...I did do some online house hunting over in MI to find a rental in the event there is a major delay...I told the Kid not to evict those young folks that have small children without them having a safe place to go just to accomodate me...Life over there is tough enough without that...

I missed Cookies Weenie roast last night, but I honestly wasn't up to it...I couldn't have eaten a bite, and I dreaded the drive down as much as I wanted to see her and Bro Bill...It has been a long time since I have felt this bad...back since Thursday night...Bad Headache, and serious abdominal pain...with results from both...Hasn't been a pleasant few days...Nuff said...I am eating Chicken noodle soup tonight with lots of oyster crackers...Hopefully it will stay down...

Have a good night, and a wonderful day tomorrow...

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 7:01 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5719410

Aaack! I forgot about my rosemary!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5719725

LOL ... Sorry Darius!!! Hope you are in time!! Mine survived in the High Desert in CA down to the low 30's but not sustained...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5719762

Melissa...Give Big E a hug and tell him congrats...They will do terrific in the finals!!! They have already achieved a Major Goal!!

I am still holding your Brother close in my Prayers in the Smoke...as I hold you and Randy and the rest of the Family...I miss you lots!!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5719802

Dusty, glad that you are feeling better,or at least to the point that you can think of food. Yesterday, I had a bowl of chicken broth, plus some juices, and today hasn't been much more. I cooked some noodles in chicken broth, and got a few of those down.

I am better, but this has taken the starch out of my britches. Went to take Mr. B for a ride, only a mile, and I was major whipped.

Melissa, you have every right to be bragging on your boys. Even if they don't win a game in the playoffs, they have already made you proud.

George and Sue, your wine talk last night almost did me in. Just the thought of another headache!

msrobin, glad that you had a good trip, and got to visit with all the folks you mentioned. Sorry that you will not get the opportunity to visit Lana. Hope your DH finds another job soon, er, after he is done playing in the woods!!

Back to the couch, I don't think we have heard from Marcy for a few days, hope everything is okay with her.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5719818

If i dig up my rosemary can i put it in the basement by the window ? and will it hold over to spring ? i got a big pot i can put them in . I got oregano too. Basement gets lots of sun from this window.
Yeah i heard snow too ? wow. I guess i can say goodbye to my raised beds this year . Just aint gonna happen unless i do it tomorrow. Prograstination is my weakness and it got me uhg.
Dusty glad your feeling better.
Went to visit inlaws and see how MIL was holding up with the death of her sis. I think she is ok. She talked about everyone who was there and all the gossip in the family. LOL .
Bonnie i hope your feeling better too
gee where is everyon e?
i got more pumpkins for pie's
that is all
sue
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5719992

Sue, could I twist your arm for a pumpkin pie recipe made with real pumpkins? Since doing this canning and freezing stuff the taste difference is like night and day from store bought. I want to make a "real" pumpkin pie!
Geo
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5720050

Sorry Bons...I too tried the chicken broth thing...won't go there...
Suffice it to say it lasted less than an hour...No call tonight, so I am off the whole day tomorrow...I will use it to get firmly reaquainted with my clean sheets and pillow after we get back from the Base...
You all know, I am not one to go crawl in my hole, but whatever this bug is, has a cattle prod on my hinnie...I have yelled *Uncle* every hour on the hour since Thursday night, and haven't had but a few hours relief...
I told Jim and Sue, if I didn't know better I would swear I was having a Gall bladder attack...Serious pain...but that thing got yanked in 1995...
I feel like such a wussie...

Sue...grab that Rosemary tonight, and bring it in the basement...You can pot it tomorrow...Tell Hunky Big T I said hold the flashlight...All of the back deck pots need to be down there too...

and with that, I am off to my tub and my rack...I am fried...

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5721438

Sorry to hear you are feeling badly, Dusty and Bonnie. I hope today brings you both some relief.

The annual Weinie Roast was good. Weather was just about perfect for it. Cold enough for the fire to feel good, but not so cold you couldn't enjoy it. Lots of good food, my favorite part. There were about 30 there. A smaller group than most years, but everyone did seem to have a good time.

I've been trying to keep up with reading everyone's posts. I won't try to mention everyone by name cause I'm sure that I'll miss someone.

Love you guys!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5723038

I hope both of you feel better soon.

Someone say snow? I looked out the window about 8:30am and there were snowflakes dancing around in the air. They looked really nifty with the fall colors behind them, for the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and illuminating a section of trees. It was really pretty.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5723140

We had about 3 dozen snowflakes this morning too. They were floating about sooooo slowly that I didn't realize at first what they were! Snow showers forecast for tonight...

I've been in and out of the cold all day, cutting and installing more shelving. I'm putting all pantry stuff that is not liquid (and can stand to freeze) on shelving on the back porch I enclosed in spring. I had hoped to get the door installed today too but that didn't happen. I also need to install some wiring (a receptacle and a light switch) but I am loathe to get under the house! The inside pantry needs additional shelving to accommodate all the new stuff I put up this year, but it will have to wait for my next social security check to purchase materials.

I have a nice fire going in the wood stove so it's nice and toasty compared to the damp cold outside. Feels good!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5723920

No flakes but a nice drizzle for an hour or so... I WAS looking for flakes.
We finally fired up the furnace today.
I stayed home to get the new HD Directv Sat done right and it was brisk out there.
(Robyn finished the room wrap)
Of course our 8-12 appointment ended up being 2 PM...
But it was well done and we no longer have a ground dish.
He found a signal from the roof.
This REALLY helps as we no longer need short hedges... LOL!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5724054

When winter comes it does it all at once, I think we had every kind of precipation that is know in a short period this afternoon, rain, sleet, snow, even had some sunshine, so just about everything that could happen meteorogically it did it today. Only in the ORV!! In a couple of days we will be back in short sleeves again.

Feeling much better today, was able to stay upright abour 4 hours before I had to lay down, so that is progress. I sound like I escaped a TB hospital, with the coughing and hacking. But at least everything is breaking up, and getting out.

This morning, I sort of tested a new software program which allows you to scan documents and to type them and print them. This will be very helpful to me, as I do lots of statistical reports for some of the organizations I volunteer for. Plus this will aid in my church work, and really some with things that I need to do personally. One of the organizations bought it for me, so my investment is learning to use it. I consider it to be a great deal.

Didn't get the geraniums in, so they will be toast in the morning. Ah, that is sad, but since they were grown from seed, not too much lost.

Dusty, you feeling better? Sure hope so.

Joyce, that weiner roast sounded good. I used to love to do that with a bon fire, and in cool, but not cold weather, sort of a rite of autumn.

Marcy, still waiting to hear from you!! Is the colder weather affecting the surgical sites? We are gonna have to buy you kneee warmers for the winter.

Jazz, tell Joel rabbit season opens here on Saturday. He may want to make a trip down some weekend to see the older Jackabees in action. Hey you are welcome to ride along, maybe we can fire up the grill, or maybe have a fish fry for you all. Hey, bring your furbies, and we will let the "kids" have a family reunion!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #5725124

Bonnie, do you mean an OCR (optical character recognition) program? I have one, never think to use it.

We are supposed to get about an inch of snow today... but VERY WINDY along with the cold temps. Wednesday and Thursday nights are forecast down into the low 20's... Brrrrrrr, time to find my silkies and the hood for my jacket.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5725317

Darius this software is called Form Pilot, and seems to be just the ticket for filling out those tedious forms.

The weather liars did again, supposed to be a heavy frost, with the first real freeze, I was up early, and no signs of either, so will not delay getting those geraniums in today
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5725382

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, no matter how much I mound and mulch my rosemary will not survive winter in the ground?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5725445

Not likely... Rosemary doesn't like colder than maybe zone 6b. Mine in 6b thrived, getting to five feet tall, but here just a zone colder, I have lost all 3 (outside) in the last 2 winters. I've never had much success with them indoors in pots, either. Not enough light or humidity... or maybe both.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5725561

I've tried twice to overwinter Rosemary, but by about January it is really struggling, so I gave up. I just plant it every year. I might cut mine back and mulch it heavily this year to see if it could make it. That is if it isn't already toast.

Glad you're feeling better Bonnie. We love the weinie roast. Bill and the boys always have bonding time after everyone leaves, sitting around waiting for the fire to burn down.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5725609

Drat!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5725794

I've had rosemary survive up to 3 winters before finally getting a winter that was severe enough to kill it. I've had one going in a pot for several years now. I keep it in a window that gets morning sun in a cool room during winter, and on the dry side. It usually looks kinda cruddy by spring, but perks right up once its outside. I did find that cuttings root easily from it, so I'll probably try some more outside next spring.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5726265

I have spent the morning filling out church forms for the comming annual meeting this Sunday. What a PITA that is. However, I know that I am better, because I have been up almost 6 hours without requiring a rest!!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #5726274

Oh, poo, Robin, was hoping to get to meet you too! Hi everyone. Have been trying to keep up with reading the posts but, between painting and tearing carpets out of the house bunny show season has started again so busy with that, too. In November I'm hoping to be in Springfield, OH, Lancaster, OH, and Zanesville, OH for shows. Anyone close to those?

Hope everyone is feeling better. Lots of sickness going around already :( My DB and SIL have both been ill.

Lana

Was in Amish country recently for a bunny show and found this dog kennel. Isn't it the cutest! Wish I had the money to get one for my girls(little house dogs)!

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5726304

Here's one of my new litters of bunnies. They're a bit over 2 weeks old now. Have another litter in the box and two more due this week.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5726312

They are so sweet! I would get nothing done, I'd want to be holding and petting bunnies all day!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5726370

Come on over, Joyce. I have plenty of bunnies to keep you busy ;) http://www.daisypatchrabbits.homestead.com

Jucie, a Holland buck

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5726399

Where will you be in Springfield, and when?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5726629

Hi, Everyone!

Having decent enough day time weather, in spite of the cold nights. Thankfully, nice days are hanging on for awhile, but I much prefer spring! Just can't get too enthused with finishing clearing out the garden and flower beds.

Bonnie, glad to hear you are feeling a little better1

Lana, I'm really sorry, too. We'd have been staying close enough for me to visit often...if you could have put up with me, that is. Bunnies are gorgeous!

Just been piddling around putting outdoor and pool stuff away and cleaning up and rearranging in the house. As DH just said this morning, it's disheartening to have to leave, but at least it's not a rush getting everything done and it'll be easy to set everything up again if we get to spend any time here next summer. Just a few more years till retirement!

Hope everyone is feeling better and recovering!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5726973

Geo here you go for the pumpkin recipes
i started a thread on it and this is what i got so far for the yummies.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911908/
Hmmm kids want to do 4-H and i was thinking bunnies ! hmmm who do i know who has bunnies ? LOLLLLL
might be looking you up Wvdaisy. Good to see you posting , them are som cute bunnies oh so cute. :)
not much here . nice morning and then wow got realy cold out !!!! and windy
Darius hope you get things going with your projects. Sounds like you got a few.
Hey we might be doing a KY trip , Dh is buying a skidsteer ? and its in Louisville ? or bowling green ? cant remember LOL anyhow would love to come by and meet up. LOL Dh don't know this yet buwahahahaha
Ds still has diarrea ? go figure , it can't be my cooking , could it ? Buwahahahaha ... Hmmmm ?
stay warm everyone and cuddle up with a loved one or a loved furry friend :)
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5726985

Sue, I am 50 miles east of Louisville, if you are up for that. Would love to have you.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5727014

I love the dog kennel, how cool would that be if you modified it a tad for a chicken coop.
too cute
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5727151

Joyce, Springfield is Nov 9th I think. Not sure but most shows are held at fairgrounds.

Sue, I usually have plenty of bunnies. You'll need to find out from the 4-H leaders if they're allowed to buy their rabbit or must have the breeding pair and raise it themselves.

dovey, they had coops too but just the building not fence and all like the kennels :(

Lana
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2008
7:45 AM

Post #5728678

Mmmm, bunnies are so soft. I'm always afraid I'm going to get chomped by one. Those teeth are so long! I must have been bitten by one when I was little or something. Dogs and cats are much sharper-toothed that buns, but I pick them right up. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5729051

Lana are you talking Springfeild OH ? im close to their. :) Good to know on the buying or breeding thing. I m still new to 4-H
Bonnie i will check it out iwth DH and see. He might want to go to the corvette plant too LOL
Not much here this am , bad dreams all not long ugh didn't sleep at all. Lots of coffee today
Going to buy a Elliptical trainer and i got Dh to let me put it in our bed room so i can watch tv LOL we have one tv an its in our bedroom . We usually don't like tv in the bedroom but . The loft wasn't ready or the basement isn't finished soooooo. Well i get lonely when dh is gone lol
cold one here folks . But the weather should turn warm on friday ! wow
lots to do today and i m not dressed "ack"
have a great day everyone
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5730348

Lana
Which Amish country? Point me in the right direction... that's the problem with the Amish, no websites *sheepish grin*

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #5730402

LOL, dovey!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5730478

When my sister visited we took her to Amish country, in Ohio somewhere. We had fun, but I did not see any chicken coops as cute as that one.

You should have heard me, don't take a picture, that's rude, he's gonna see you, don't take a picture, oh my gosh he's gonna see you, that's rude.
Now in the back seat is my mother and my sister saying, oh get a picture, it's that sweet, oh look at the buggy, did you get a picture, oh he's getting closer get another picture.

I really didn't want to treat him like some kind of side show. Wouldn't you just hate that?

Thumbnail by dovey

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5731605

Amish or Mennonite country is about anywhere in southern and lots of NE Ohio.
Plain City near Columbus, Union City near Dayton, Adams County, Brown County, Dover Ohio...

A tip ... look for chickens wearing bonnets... These are Amish Chickens...
The turkeys have beards...

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5731705

Ric, hehe, that was corny, but laughable.

We have Amish friends in Lagootee, Indiana, and we visit back and forth. DH met them through dealing with the horses. We were invited to spend the night several years ago, and that was quite the experience. We arrived after dark, no electricity, oil lamps, okay, I can do this. No entertainment, I can do this, was shown to bed about 9:00, I don't know whether I can do this, but with the aid of meds, I did. In the summer, no AC, open windows, okay, I can do this. Got in bed, I was sleeping on the side of the bed just beside the open window. Awfullest stink I have ever smelled coming through the window. Didn't have a clue what I was smelling. Meds kicked in and I slept. In the morning, after a very non traditional breakfast, cheese and crackers, I went outside to smoke and investigate what the smell was. 2 Turkey houses, and 1 Pig pen, combined. Never have smelled that since. I don't do overnights there anymore. They are very easy to entertain when they visit with us, turn on the TV!! They are fascinated by it!! Matter of fact when they arrive, usually don't get a good hello, until they are in the family room.

Today was my first day out since I got sick. I am feeling better but did the grocery/errand thing, and I was plumb tuckered out when I got home. Had a little rest, cooked dinner, and declined to go to Bible Study tonight. So bet I will sleep well tonight.

Sue, just let me know if you are coming, I don't think we have much planned that couldn't be changed, and would love to show you around the "home place".

Dusty, we need to hear from you, are you on the mend?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5732050

I know a Turkey with a beard...Two of them in fact.. I'm married to one of them and the other just posted...But he's mah Bro an I luv him...;-P

I'm okay Bons...Like you, I'm trying to mend...Been another rough week..
First time ever, I hated to go to work...I absolutely dreaded it...I am ready for retirement...and guess what Sheila the Dispatcher gave me tonight...
I got an official company jacket with the logo on the back, and she said she had shirts for me too but forgot them at home...I have been there since last Feb. and they just now get me shirts and a winter jacket...They can keep the summer knit golf shirts...I'll wear the jacket til I leave, and I may buy it cause I like it, or I may turn it in with my keys and cell phone...

Saturday AM, I leave the VA with Paul loaded up and headed for Murfreesboro, TN...Depending on how whipped I am, I may head straight back or spend the night at his Moms...I would like to get back home so I can sleep in on Sunday and rest up for next week...

I don't have to worry about getting home from work in time Tuesday for voting...I was off Monday to take Jim to the base, so we voted early...
I knew as sure as I counted on getting here, something would happen...

I spoke to my Son last night, and the kids in the house over there are having a hard time finding a place to go, so I told him to not push it...They have very small babies, and the reason they sold was they were about to bankrupt because the boy lost his job some months ago...He inherited the farm from his Granddad, and hasn't been able to work it...
I have been online hunting down places to lease so we shall see...I'd sure hate to move in the dead of winter, but oh well... maybe by Christmas I hope...
Oh Yeah...Interesting news today...The son we moved up here to be near that didn't bother to check on his Father during surgery 3 weeks ago has bought a home and property in Lynchburg...Interesting...

I'm off to my rack...I need to be at the yard by 6:45 so that means leave here by 5:45 and up by 4:30 or so...

Hey Jules.. if you are lurking.. I have Sprouts!!! Wassup wid dat?? LOL

Have a great day tomorrow all...

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5732764

Thanks for the tip Ric... ;-p

*LOL* @ Dusty's quip

Is this anyone you know?

Thumbnail by dovey

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5732892

LOL Bonnie iwth you taking meds . Good thing you had them ! :) Thanks for the offer Bonnie but i think i m staying home on Friday. :( just got to much to do around here and i told DH to go himself . I m really bummed . I was looking forward to a road trip . I think he is relived i told him to go himself LOLOLL he can get in and out and not worry about me going potty every exit !
HA Ric !! on the turkey beards and bonnets lollllll
not much here
sorry to hear the move is delayed Dusty . We moved twice in Jan and it sucked !!!! I feel your pain .
got pumpkin in the oven roasting away for pie .
dovey love the turkey . I hope to get my own next spring for the holidays . Oh that reminds me i have to order soon .
well i guess i should get going and get dressed
have a great day
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5733331

Just dropping in to say hi!

Started out chilly and frosty on my hilltop, but is already sunny and 50* with a projected high of 66*. WhooHoo!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5733478

The neighborhood grocery sells Amish Turkeys for Thanksgiving.
Yeah we always figured they needed to get them going about Halloween weekend so they could be delivered on time.
Horse drawn wagons don't do many miles/day...
But of course they would have to be live and then butchered in the parking lot on Thanksgiving Eve...

We got the freeze last night...
Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5733499

making pumpkin pie
from a real pumpkin !!!

Thumbnail by taynors

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5733651

LOL!
A Turkey making a pie!

Good Luck Sue!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5733678

Sue, I want that food mill!

Got a freeze here last night too

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5733712

Ric !!!! :P LOLLLLLLL
its a great food mill Neal. I love it !!! expecially with tomatos
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5733753

Mmmmm, pieeeee. Speaking of pie, does anyone watch Pushing Daisies? I love me some Ned the Piemaker. :) There's a big push on to save the show, as it's in danger of being canceled. That can't happen, you hear me? It's the most creative, eye-popping, warm, funny, intelligently-written show on TV.

Check this out:
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b66177_pushing_daisies_in_danger_can_it_be.html

I love it...Fans are going to send daisies, daisy seeds, cards, letters and even pies to ABC this whole coming week. People are encouraged to send something to arrive EACH day next week. I love it! :) You can send your goodies to this address:

ABC
500 S. Buena Vista St
Burbank, CA 91521-4551

Okay, that said, I need to get crackin' on my Halloween costume idea. Thanks to Chele, Critterologist and Neal for their ideas in chat today!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5733766

My favorite pumpkin pies are from butternut squash. Mmmmmmm More "pumpkiny" than "pie" pumpkins, with more velvety texture.

Dusty - sprouts on what?

Have had a sore throat on one side only for 4 days now, with no other sign of being sick. What is that about? Don't think I have had sore throat on only one side before. Odd. I think 3/4 of the people I work with are sick. Yesterday, a co-worker started me taking 50mg of zinc a day... she says it will keep me from getting a cold? Also gave me a bottle of sea kelp to take to boost my immune system. Says it has helped her a lot. Since I have asthma, I tend to go right from sniffles to bronchitis. So, not getting colds would be a big hit with me! I got some Zicam swabs on Monday, but after reading about all the lawsuits from people losing their sense of smell, I didn't use it. Amanda says the zinc tablets work better, and won't hurt the inside of the nose like the Zicam. She is from England and says they use Zinc tabs all the time over there. She only takes them when people around her are sick, not all the time. Takes the sea kelp all the time though.

Waving to all, time to leave for work!

Jules

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5733965

Cool Ricer, Sue... That's what my Grandma always called hers, which I now have. Neal, you can still buy them new, maybe Lehman's? The only difference is the new ones have a straight rod-shaped pestle that is round on the end, and my Grandma's has a cone-shaped one that fits the ricer better. By the way, my Grandma often made "riced potatoes", pushing cooked potatoes through the mill, rather than mashing them. Makes a lovely presentation.

Here's what I've been working on... not finished yet, but out of boards. I still have to decide on doors or curtains to keep the jarred foods in the dark to protect their vitamin content longer.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5733967

Here's part of the perpendicular wall of shelving...

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5733987

As long as I'm posting pictures... here's the "outside" pantry on the closed in but unheated back porch... It's all kitchen ware on one side, and foods like beans, rice and dehydrated stuff on the other. I really DO plan to get the door installed soon!

Thumbnail by darius

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5733992

WOW, Darius. As always, wow. That's a great storehouse you've got there.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5734256

Wish, I had someplace to put my canned foods. They reside on the floor of several closets, and when that room was used up, under beds in boxes!! Pretty hard to take pictures of that, and I am not dragging it out to do so!!

I have a ricer, strainer, food mill, like that, I call mine a food mill. I broke mine this year, and had to purchase one. My local hardware store carries canning supplies, and I think it was about 22.00.

Feelling better each day, now just need to regain my strength from being so inactive. Sure hope that this is my "annual" bronchitis, sinusitis episode, and I am home free. Like that will happen.

Jules, I take the ziacam tablets, and if you start them at the first sign of a cold, they really do help. I have never used the swabs. Will check out the zinc, and the kelp.

Gotta get to the kitchen to start prep for supper.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5734463

can you believe we are going trick or treating tonight !!! uhg just discovered it this evening LOL so what do you do Fri ? i guess football !! LOLLLLLL jeepers
Hey nice set up Darius , glad you put up some pics I can know show DH what i want down in the basement.
For potatos i use a spaetzle thingy. German dumpling . I do love it.
I thought it was called something else
So far so good on the pumpkin, lots of draining and one small cinderella pumpkin gave me looks to be about 6 cups of filling.
Next i will do the spices.
got to get kids out to trick or treating uhg... can you tell im not a halloween person . :P
Glad your feeling better Bonnie :)
bbl
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5734768

Evenin all... Got home before dark for a change...My Wheelie is getting a window replaced, so I got off early.. I have to pick it up at 8am...
Beef stew with roasted red potatoes for supper tonight since I got home in time to cook it...

Dovey, that pic looks just like Mah Bro with his beard... LOL

Bons...Sure am glad you are resuscitated and getting back to being vertical...I am still dragging, but likely because I couldn't stay off work long enough to recoup...I will likely be ready to kill myself by tomorrow night...They started cutting the corn in that 200 acre field across the street tonight...The dust is horrific already... ;-P

Darius...All I can say is.. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kimberley, sorry but I can't support that one...I can't stand that show... and that is likely why it is up for cancellation...Most people can't either so the ratings are belly up...I'm sorry if you lose it, since you are a fan and enjoy it...There are lots of them I don't like or care to watch, but I just change the channel, so it doesn't faze me one way or another...I actually watch very little TV anyway...

Juli.. I have tiny sprouts on the Plants in the pots, in the bin on the table, in the utility room!!! I trimmed them down and potted them all and put the pots in the bin...It is Very cool (low 40's) in there, but they haven't figured out that it is November I guess...????
I am with Bons.. The Zicam TABS not the swabs, are the way to go for cold/flu symptoms...Zinc is good, but C & D are too...

Gotta get the dins on the table... Have a good'un...
~~~~~~~~~~~~ at all...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5735146

Dusty, glad that you got off at a decent hour, and were able to put a home cooked meal on the table. I am still not eating well, just don't feel hungry, but that may be because I have been drinking fluids by the gallons.

Sue, now buck up, the kiddies enjoy the trick or treating, and it won't be long before they will have outgrown the need for mama to be with them. Enjoy it while you can! Great looking pumpkin. We have pumpkin pie about once a year, and it really doesn't pay me to buy a pumpkin and prepare it that way. Usually use a can of pumpkin pie filling!! I know, to be so industrious in other ways, this is one thing that the can provides all we need.

Well, we had had frosts before, but last night was the killing one. Sure hope that the things that bother me allergy wise are killed too. The allergies won't be all gone, until all the leaves are off the trees, as the mold on them is a major allergen. Dusty, I can't imagine having to breathe all that dust from the corn.

Has anybody talked to Marcy? I am getting concerned about her, I don't think she has posted in many days. If you have talked to her, post and let us know what is going on with her.

~~~~ to everybody.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5735221

Bons, I haven't but I will call her...I'm concerned too...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5735339

Just had a dmail from her, she is okay, just a little down, and feels that she has nothing to add here. Just therapy, and exercise related to the knee surgery.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #5736083

I love Pushing Daisies, fast paced dialogue... sort of an adult Dr Seuss like narration.

Darius, you pantry is totally fab, I love it.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5736227

Bonnie after doing all the work for my ( what i thought was 6 cups ) is now 2 cups !!! LOLLLLl I can see why peps do the can "ack" lollll:)
Ok last night was actually fun ! . we went into st paris and was amazed at how man peps there were . Very Norman Rockwell . Fire house had a BBQ and everyone new eachother , total fun. I guess i was so tramatized as a kid Halloween was just my "ick" holiday lol
So i m glad i went and the best part of it was Dh was there too. It was his first time with the kids. He always missed it being out of town.
So it was a good night. Much better than going to the mall and the candy was waaaaay better too LOL :)
OK i m stuck with no car, We sold the big truck and am down to one vehicle. Baking day !! got another 1/2 bushel of apples and lots of butter to make dumplings . Might do some apple sauce too
Figured out how to do wedges with my slicer thingy. But they are crinkley looking, should be ok ?
Darius that is a beauty of a pantry !!!
Gw i know my mom loves that show !! I have never watched it , might try it next time its on. :)
Good to hear Marcy is ok, sorry she isn't feeling to well :( therapy is hard not only on the body but i m guessing alot of mental issues come with it to make one a bit down. T&P to you Marcy !!!! wishing you well. Should i bring you a pie ? !
dovey i tried to find butternut but so far none :( i will keep looking . I have heard its good for pie
have a great day everyone
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5736229

Darius, I'm green with envy of your set up! Its beautiful! Yep, gonna show that pic to Dave- just what I want the pantry room to look like!

Kimberly, I love Pushing Daisies, can't believe its up for cancellation after all the Emmys it was up for! Just a few weeks ago I noted out loud about Ned, "Wow! dude's got some major brows!", and cracked up when his newfound twin brothers had them too.

dovey, I was just saying the other night how I love the dialog of the show- the quick, quirky rhythm of it. I've gotten so sick of all the reality tv, I'm liking the contrived, narrated shows that have a play-like quality.

Bonnie, glad to hear you're on the mend. Uuuuggg...I feel your pain on the yearly bronchitis thing. Thankfully I've had the last few years without getting it, not really sure why (stupid me .. still smoking). The only change I can think of, is I've cut out almost all processed food, fast food, and soft drinks. I'm sure that couldn't hurt, but don't know if that would have strengthened my immune system? And come to think of it, since I switched to rolling my own ciggies with American Spirit additive free tobacco, I don't believe I've had bronchitis. Hmmm...hadn't made that connection before!

Finally supposed to warm up today, so I'm looking forward to getting out in the garden! Got a bunch of iris and penstemons and a few columbine from some DGrs to get in the ground. For the first time this summer, all 4 of my big brugs have buds, and for 2 of them its the first time ever. I don't even know what color a couple of them will be. They're in the plant/craft room now and 2 of them fit under lights (attached high at the ceiling), and I'd sure love to enjoy at least a few blooms this year! But by golly, I'm determined to have boat loads of blooms next year! Those babies are staying in pots where I can water and fertilize them to their hearts content. It was so dry here this summer, I couldn't keep them watered in the ground and the buds kept falling off.

I've been feeling a little puny this week, slight, but constant headache and nausea- I think from sinus congestion and drainage. Started feeling a bit more normal yesterday, and this morning, so far, so good- yayyy! Feeling good and a warm, sunny day at the same time!

Everybody have a great day!
Neal
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5736235

Sue, where did your pumpkin go? Did it reduce to 2 cups?
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5736321

Darius...pretty as a picture!

I'm heading to Mall of America with my girlfriend for the weekend. Hopefully, I'll make a major dent in Christmas shopping while I'm there!

You all have a lovely weekend.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5736518

Obviously reality TV is very popular to many, but I dislike them.
Give me clever dialogue and quirky characters!
(BTW Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn were the best at clever dialogue)

Neal,
About that headache, how long since you had an eye exam? I've had what I thought was sinus pressure and headaches for years only to recently find out it was actually caused by glaucoma. I was totally shocked, didn't really know what glaucoma was. A couple of laser zaps (iridotomy) and I can't believe the difference.
Now I'm almost qualify as the poster girl for eye exams. Seriously maybe you should get checked.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5736524

Mall of America, isn't that the largest mall in the US?
Good luck.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5736527

It's pretty dang big! Has an amusement park in the middle of it!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5736547

I can't even imagine - Are you flying there?
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5736550

Yes, my girlfriend wanted a "just us" power shopping weekend and offered to buy my airline ticket. How could I say no??????????????

Just a fast trip. Coming home on Sunday.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5736594

I hope there is a Epsom salt foot soak waiting for you when you get home, sounds as if you'll need it
Have fun
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5736630

dovey, it has probably been a year and a half, or possibly as long as 2 years since my last eye exam. In the past my eye pressure has been ok, but its about time for a new scrip anyway- it seems my arms are getting shorter, LOL. I turned 40, and like the flip of a switch, I'm far-sighted! Wasn't Kate Hepburn just the best at that quick dialog! Cate Blanchett did an amazing job as Hepburn in 'The Aviator'- it was uncanny hearing her!

Cookie, sounds like great fun! I went there when my sister lived in the twin cities area. The network of sky walks is really cool, but I got turned around easily. Oooohh, my brother in law took us to a nice Italian place to eat there called 'Pronto's' I think. I still have fond memories of the scallopini and gnocci :-) Have a great time!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5736653

Oh Neal, I will look for that! Seems like we ate Italian the last time we were there. I love scallopini!!!! If it's available, that's what I always get!

Is it time to dig the dahlia you gave me now that the tops are dead? This is my first year, but that little plant just bloomed her heart out and the color was to die for!!!! I surely want to have it for next year.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5736694

yep, I usually dig my dahlias after the tops have been frosted. Thanks for the reminder- better do that today while I'm out digging! Oooohh, the scallopini there was topped with lobster medallions and sun dried tomatoes!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5736774

Dang it Neal! Don't you know how hard it is to get slobber off the keys...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5736990

took pies out of oven . Then put in a crust for apple and a small dumpling turnover.
Neal ofter putting the pumpkin through a fine strainer , then draining it , i only had 2 cups !! "ack" wich was enough for two pies but small pies :)
Joyce you are a lucky ducky , have fun !!! big ~~~~ bye bye
I hate daytime tv , soap operas are my worse night mare !!! just can't take them .
Reality tv is getting way out of hand also. I do like the Weight loss ones Biggest Looser is my fav.
I like ER , Two and a Half Men , Greys Anatomy and Reruns of Reba .
well no car ... im sooooo bored , i have things to do but just don't wanna ! lol
bbl
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5737138

Yes and the little laugh, "ha ha", it was perfect.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5737250

I have a show in Springfield next Sunday. Since it's a 3.5 hr drive for me was thinking about going out on Sat and spending the night somewhere closer to there so I don't have to be up at 3:30am to be there by 8am. 3:30 is about my bedtime ;) Any ideas on a decently cheap place to stay in or around Springfield? The show is at the fairground. The bunnies will stay in the vehicle so no need for a hotel that takes pets LOL.

dovey, the amish country I went to is Puscarawas(sp?) County, Dover, Sugar Creek, Walnut Creek, Berlin, and Millersburg. Can't remember the route it's on but I go up I-77 and get off the Dover exit. It's south of Canton.

Lana
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5737272

Had this post started and sitting out on the screen for a few hours. Sheesh.

Dovey and Neal, you're definitely people who get that show! Dovey, your description of it being an adult Dr. Seuss is perfect! And it very much reminds me of Grant and Hepburn! The eyebrows thing tickled me, too. And how, this week, Olive caught the engagement ring the restaurant owner's daughter tossed behind her; Olive's saying "Sparkly!" and putting it on was sooo Olive. Kristen Chenoweth has a great comedic timing, and that voice to boot. We just love her.

There are thousands of very vocal fans out here. We just hope ABC will look beyond the outdated Nielsen ratings and see that.

Sue, I am getting a Cricut Expressions! Since I learned about Sure Cuts A Lot software (see http://craftedge.com ), I decided a Cricut wouldn't be so bad after all since I could cut whatever I wanted and not be limited to buying those expensive cartridges. That's my Christmas present, very early.

The Scrapbook store had a 20% coupon for the grand opening of the Zanesville store. Not only that, but they'd dropped their prices on the whole Cricut line and that immediately took $100 off the price, plus I then got my 20% off. I ended up paying less than I could have gotten it for used on Amazon. It felt so good to do the right thing and support a small business and end up saving money, too! I love a win-win like that. :D

Man, I really hope these guys can weather the economy. They're such good people and have become friends to so many of us. I can totally understand now the posts people have made in scrapbooking forums saying they're in tears because their local scrapbooking store (LSS) is closing. I think we women, in general, bond with each other easily, especially when we're sharing parts of our lives through this hobby and talking with each other while we work. Now that I've enjoyed the company of these great women and the owners, had this place to gather with them, to lose it would be horrible.

I've got to get crackin' on the costume. I have the spot cut out for my face, but have to do the rest. It should go pretty quickly. I hope so...The Halloween bash crop starts at 6pm and I might get there a little early if I finish in time.

Oh, check out this awful/wonderful costume I ran across yesterday. Isn't it awful? LOL
http://familycrafts.about.com/od/costumes/ig/Costume-Photo-Gallery/Eyeball-Costume.htm

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 1:51 PM

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5737360

I love this one
http://z.about.com/d/familycrafts/1/0/y/l/hcflowgard.jpg

Quoting:Olive's saying "Sparkly!" and putting it on was sooo Olive. Kristen Chenoweth has a great comedic timing, and that voice to boot.

That's my line, every time we get a catalog with jewelry I squeal "ooo sparkly stuff"

How does anyone get as cute as Kristen Chenoweth? here is a great YouTube of her singing "If" (You hadn't But you did)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gume4RcNU&feature=related

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5737411

GW i m soooooo JEALOUS !!!! you are getting a great deal on that ! man o man you are going to have fun. I just took out my " what is that one called again " ???? duh brain fart ... you know what i m talking about ? for die cuts . LOL i just look at it and laugh. So out of date and yes them cartridges are expensive !!!! but so worth it ! Hmmm might have to come over and play at your house ? lol :)
ok so the pies were a bomb !!! so bummed. The crust was a looser. the filling was good . SO i threw them away :( can't serve bad pie.
So i went out and did my raised beds . Loaded up all the old wood left over from the house. dumped them and made a bunch of rectangels and squares for the garden
DH is on his way home iwth the skidsteer . I will move the other beds with nice soil and he will teach me how to run the thing. No more shoveling !!! yaeah i got about 12 beds made . I m sitting with a beer and will go take a bath soon. Before kids get home
Well just looked at clock and it aint ganna happen :P so i shall just drink my beer.
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5737581

Cheers! Sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5737962

Neal come over and make pie with me : ) pwease . lollll
i got beer
cheers
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5738539

Evening everbody, I have been busy again today with paper work and phone calls. Had a stack of bills belonging to DMIL, and then started on a project for our church. We have a fund raiser every year selling pecans and I made fliers and sent them to various churches in the area, and have some that I will take to town and put up tomorrow. We also get the chocolate covered pecans, and they come in a fancy gold bag, which are good to use as little gifts. Yum, and they are good too.

Then I listed about 30 books on half.com, and some children's videos. Trying to get some stuff cleared out of the entertainment center, because we are gonna have to get a different one, as our new tv won't fit in this one. So I have been busy all day, and a lot of it has been on the computer!!

Sue, if you drink too much beer, you may have to throw out the pies made while imbibing!!

Know Joyce is gone, but hope she has a good weekend at the Mall of America. I haven't been, but I have heard that it is huge!! Dovey, I would need two tubs of epson salts to soak feet and the whole body

kimberly I have seen those criket machines, and they are way cool. I saw in informercial, and they were doing templates to decorate cakes. That would be something neat to play with.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5738768

Post to follow... Hit the wrong button...

This message was edited Oct 31, 2008 10:27 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5738920

Hi all.. Hope you all had a beautiful day today...It made it to 64 down in Dayton where I spent most of my day...55* up here now...

I got home late as I had to hit the bank by 7pm, then the Dollar store for laundry things and dog cookies...(They get 2 animal cookies for their breakfast with Dad and his coffee) Also had to get some Puppy Pads and Chow for our new arrival...Please meet Lily below...We got Rudy from a Vet friend of mine, and that seemed to help him alot...but today, one of my coworkers had these pups that he was trying to home for his elderly neighbor...No Way was I gonna pass up that lil smushed in face...LOL...and she was FREE!!! I was ready to take all 6 of them!!!
Jim was in tears when I unzipped my jacket, where I had her in hiding, and wished him a Happy Birthday (the 7th of Nov)
We have been home 2 hours, and he is still sniffing back tears...Poor guy, I shoulda known as Lily is the spitting image of Saki...He is happy now...I think...LOL
I can tell you one thing, she is a holy terror and will most assuredly keep him on his toes...I have already figured out that if she gets mouthy, she needs to potty...and she likes to attack my feet, while they are in motion... LOL

I hate to leave good company without responding to all but I need the shower and my bed.. Gonna be a verrrrry loooong day tomorrow...I am taking Paul home to Murfreesboro, TN in the morning...I am planning a down & back run tomorrow so I can rest Sunday...Creator knows, I need it...Been a long week on a tired and not well body...The last of the corn got mowed last night, and that mold and I are not dealing well...Since this is going for Feed and not Ethanol, makes me rethink my next trip to the meat dept at the grocery...Can't wait till I can raise my own...Meat not Corn... LOL

Have a great weekend everyone...Hopefully see you all tomorrow night...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #5738926

Whoooops .. Fergot the Pic!!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5738936

Aww, Dusty, what a cutie!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5738989

Ah Dusty what a great picture!

Defoecat, to heck with the epson salt, I would need drugs... and that's just to get me there :-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5739001

hehe, me too Dovey!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5739043

Thank you and Hush the BOTH of you ...I need drugs and a 50 yard Dump truck of Epsom Salts...I feel definitely rode hard and put up verrrry wet...

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5739104

Hi, Folks,
Everyone continues to be so impressively busy! Not me, though. I'm still trying to decide on what to put on the fireplace, now that it's all stripped down. I found some quartz that I really liked the other day-- still waiting on the price. Plus, is the quartz fireproof enough to put on the edge of the opening? So far my sister and I have looked at 4 different stores & abt 4000 magazines & can't find something we both like & can afford, but I'd like to get beyond the festive cinderblock look soon.

Isabella continues to recuperate and improve. I'm amazed, & grateful!!!

Sue, if you figure out the never fail pie crust, be sure & let me know. I love pie, but I've pretty much given up on crust & buy pillsbury instead. It's not that good, but it's better than suffering with a decent filling & inedible crust. I have a recipe somewhere with some vinegar--- sounds terrible, but it seems to me that it worked most of the time, even when it was humid.
The chicken pot pie I made a couple weeks ago, topped with puff pastry, was scrumptuous! Of course, puff pastry can't work when you want a two crust berry pie...
Oh, I tried the baked cranberries recipe from my 1920 cookbook & they were wonderful. The outer shell (husk?) of the cranberries got very soft, and they tasted yummy hot. Very different from the can of compressed goop, and much smoother than the boiled on the stovetop method.
I've been working on getting some bulbs in & squirrel & deer proofing (which takes a lot longer than putting the bulbs in the ground. I'm putting all my tulips in huge containers, & they're going to winter over in the "tomato house"-- basically a wood frame covered with netting to keep the critters out. For the daffodils that I'm putting in the ground, they get covered with chicken wire & dusted with red pepper powder, & then the chicken wire gets weighted all around the edges with stones. Maybe I should just buy flowers once a week at the grocery store!
I've also been needlepointing like crazy, to get a project for my sister done. It's going to go into a framework & get covered with glass & end up as a tea tray. I'm so excited, because she actually uses a tea tray. Needlepoint is kind of hard to make practical, after the first few throw pillows or eyeglass cases. Whoopee!

Re: Hallowe'en. My favorite costume ever was made from a big moving box, cut into two rounds & studded with raisins, worn over the shoulders like a sandwich board. That's all you have to do if you want to dress up as an oatmeal cookie.

Is anybody considering going to Winterfair (the arts & crafts show at the Northern KY Convention Center, Fri-Sun after Thanksgiving)? Lots of glass, ceramics, woodcrafts, needlework, jewelery, fiber arts plus sugared almonds & coffee to boost the stamina. I love to go but my sisters get worn out (I scooter). One admission charge for all three days! Am I tempting anyone?

Only a few minutes now until All Hallows' Eventide turns in to All Hallows/ All Saints day. One of my priest friends has a church where the kids dress up as Saints on this Sunday. The most daring was a guy who came as one of the (unforetunately many) saints who's been decapitated. He didn't make it too gory, but he was carrying a fake head around, while his own was hidden under a choir robe. I was never able to dare something like that, but I'd get out all the old registers of baptisms & marriages & deaths & leave them on the altar until Advent. Just to give the communion of saints idea some visibility, I suppose.

OK, guys, I'm off to needlepoint again. Everybody stay healthy, enjoy the extra hour of sleep this weekend, keep up with your therapy, & enjoy the dandy weather!
BBP,
Pat
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5739227

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
8:28 AM

Post #5739452

Oh, that little pup is SO cute! What a sweetheart!!

I had a great time at the crop tonight...Pooped, need to sleep. Before I crash, here's my costume. It won first place! :D Thanks so much to Chele, Critter and Neal for their input!

Thumbnail by gardenwife

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
10:37 AM

Post #5739550

Pat,
I love Quartz, besides being pretty, if your looking for a spiritual aspect Quartz is a stone of inner peace and it dispels negativity or filters away negative energy. Quartz is also a stone of harmony because it balances energies.

Dusty
I can smell puppy breath all the way to my house, love at fist whiff.

GW
Love the costume, it suits you *S*
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2008
11:51 AM

Post #5739639

LOL!
The Tongue!

Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5739673

Kimberly, that's so cute! Turned out great!

dovey, good thoughts on the Quartz, the benefits of using it that way didn't even occur to me, and I often display big pieces of quartz on the hearth and my meditation altar.

Dusty, AAAAWWWwwwwww...what a cutie!

Pat, so glad to hear the good news about Isabella. The beheaded saint costume cracked me up! Do you have trouble with critters digging daffodil bulbs? I've only had to protect tulips and crocus, but usually nothing bothers daffs. Except I did have a problem one time with my dog digging them because I had used bone meal (later started only using it under the bulbs and burying it well, and that took care of the problem).

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5740103

Dusty, what a cute pup! How big will she get?
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5740416

Hey, Neal,
I've had trouble with the squirrels digging up daff bulbs-- even some of the smaller frittilaria-- and either making off with them or leaving them on top of the soil for the deer to munch. You know: they dig 10 holes to fool the other squirrels, & then forget where they put it themselves, & go back to the bulb bed for reinforcements. I love the tiny daffs, so I've been catering to them unawares. This year I've gotten more big hearty daffs, so I should have some blooms next spring with all these precautions!

The red fox I spotted a few months ago is now a regular visitor, but he seems to be mostly a commuter, so not a problem.
Cheers,
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5740427

Sue--- I forgot to ask yesterday--- have you seen the movie called Waitress? It's out on DVD. It's a movie abt pie, and love, and more pie. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
Pat
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5740640

Rotten squirrels you've got there Pat! Good luck with your barricade.

Sue, forgot to mention earlier, great idea on the beer and pie making! LOL We'd have to do crust before the first beer though. One during the making of the filling, and the rest while they're in the oven!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5741159

No squirrel problem here as long as my neighbor Buster is alive. He loves squirrel stew and keeps the population down!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5741455

LOL on the beer Neal and Bonnie
Dusty WOOOOOGIE WOOOOGIE PUPPY so cute . The experssion on Jims face is a great one. He looks soooo happy . !
Gosh i have heard of vinager in pie crust . Something about making it more tender. I have a cake with vinager and its good.
Darius LOL on the squirrel . We have them buy the tons around here. Really need to get out and get hunting
saw a 6 pt buck in our yard , just strolling along as if we didn't exsist . Fun to see.
Got busy with the garden beds. Did the whole thing over. Dh said just use the left over lumber from the wood YEah on that one. So it does look better. Stripped topsoil off from other areas around the yard . ITs better soil than the ones i have been trying to amend the last two years !!! grrrrrr. duh. But we have to do 3 over again and get the better topsoil in. I really want to do 12 beds but i thin i won't ask to much of Dh .Eight is plenty for me right now ... i think.
Went to Waffle House for dinner, all i can say is " ... " there are no words to describe this WH. What is the attraction ?
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5741587

Sue, LOL! What is the attraction? You didn't have to cook at home!

Dusty, cute puppy!

Bonnie, is that new computer program working for you?

GW, love the scrapbook page costume! LOL!

You all sure made me hungry for pie! And beer! What a combination!

Loving this weather! Up around 70 in the afternoons. Getting lots done outside, straightening up my little shed, collecting seeds, pulling huge weeds, organizing as we put outdoor stuff away for the winter. Had a bonfire last night. Anyone that wants to come for the next bonfire, bring weiners and marshmallows! can't keep enough here! LOL!

Darius, is your helper back on his feet, yet? I have a major case of pantry-envy! Your shelves look so pretty with all those jars all lined up!

Lana, goodluck at the bunny show!

Hello to everyone else that I didn't mention by name. Think of you all and hope everyone is feeling well again.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5741609

Sue,
Here's the pie crust recipe, from Fran Gordon of---- well, I'm not sure exactly where she lives but she's in northern KY. I subbed for their minister once and I guess we ended up talking abt pie crusts!

4 cups unsifted flour
1Tblspn sugar
2 tsp salt
1 and 3/4 cups crisco
1 Tblspn white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 large egg

Put 1st 3 ingredients in a bowl & mix well with fork.
Add crisco & mix with fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
In a small bowl, with a fork, beat together water, vinegar, and egg. Combine with dry ingredients & mix with fork until all ingredients are moistened.
Divide into 4 or 5 portoins & shape into round, flat patties, ready for rolling. Wrap each piece in waxed paper & chill for abt 1/2 hour.
Lightly flour both sides of patty when ready to roll out & roll to abt 1/8 inch thickness.

That's where her instructions end, so I guess you should fill it up & throw it in the oven!
Then eat & enjoy...
Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5741793

The FPR is framed and sheathed!
We are beat!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5741881

Hey everybody, goshsmom that pie crust sounds really good, gonna save that recipe, and try it.

Sue, do you mean the waffle house was good or bad? Anytime I can eat without having to cook it, it is a good place!!

Ric, good for you. You can rest tomorrow!!

I picked up DGD about 10 this morning, and have not done much. Had to go to a visitation tonight, and ate at a local restaurant, was good.

Sunday are busy, so need to go. Don't forget to set your clocks BACK!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5741913

For me the attraction of waffle house was that they were open at 3 in the morning and cheap
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5742139

And they had 150 octane Coffee and Gri-its down south!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
9:19 AM

Post #5742748

Oh yes, the clocks. I thought I'd woke up early thinking it was 4:30 am, but I just realized I woke at 3:30! ...and while I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee, LOL.

Ric, LOL on the attempt at a Southern accent! Gotta get that extra syllable in there.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
10:31 AM

Post #5742775

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Darius!!!!...and Dave said to let you know that's from him too :-)

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #5742890

Happy Birthday Darius, I hope it's a beautiful day for you

Dove
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5742918

Darius we hope it's a WONDERFUL Day down in your Valley!!!

Ric & Robyn
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5742995

So I was thinking about how many ways you could finish this statement
The world can be divided into two groups of people;
Those who _______, and those who _______.

Like this.
Those who take showers, and those who take baths.

or...

Those who think trees have feelings, and those who take their meds.

Personally I think trees have feelings until they die, then they make great homes for wildlife (ok and maybe some firewood).

Edited to correct "to" to "two"
So maybe I should add

Those who use spell check, and those who still screw up even with spell check.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 6:11 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5743013

Happy Birthday Darius, hope it is a great one!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5743162

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Darius! So how old did you say you are? Oh, yeah, I remember, 29 and holding! Have a wonderful day!

Weather liars better not be messing with me...calling for low 70's thru Wednesday with upper 40's at night! WhooHoo!

Ric, pictures?

Dovey...those who are nice and those who are mean.

Enjoy the day...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5743249

yeah, hip-hip-hooray for the nice ones
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5743274

This was probably the trickiest part of the project.
(As I told Darius... no more 'baying' for me!)
Because of the order in which we had to do the job also the hardest to figure out.
Lots of angles... lots of trimming...lots of shims! LOL!
But while not actually a visual treat the most satisfying.

Thumbnail by henryr10

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5743322

Ric, looks great! You are sure going to enjoy having that extra space.

Goshsmom, thanks for sharing that pie crust recipe. I'll have to give it a try.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5743335

Here's the outside shot...
Off to work on the roof...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5743557

Ric, my compliments to the builders, it looks wonderful! Hey, I'm gonna try making some black bread... any helpful clues/recipes? And, have you come across a decent interior light that's battery operated? I need a light in the outside pantry... and NOT one of those crappy battery lights for a closet. I'll save wiring that room for next year.

Sue, Atlanta is the corporate home to Waffle House, and when I lived there, Atlanta had 217 of them. We called them the Awful House...

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! The Great Creator has gifted me with a lovely day to work outside a bit, finishing up the pre-winter stuff. My neighbor gave me some fresh venison... 2 shoulder roasts and a leg. I think I'll just clean away the bone and sinew, and freeze them for now; meant to do that yesterday but got busy elsewhere.

Later Tater...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5743761

Thanks Darius!!

It depends on 'which' Black Bread.
I have all rye to 1/2 and 1/2 w/ wheat.
Rye has about no gluton so it's very hard to get a good rise.
I use a cup of stiff black coffee in mine instead of water...

Here's my fav...
1 cup coffee
4-5 TBS of black molasses
4 TBS Vinegar
4TBS Butter
1 Square Bakers Chocolate

Boil to melt and Cool
Add yeast and let sit for about 15 minutes...

Then add:
3 Cups Rye Flour
1 TBS Coarse Salt
2 TBS Caraway Seeds
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
3/4 - 1 Cup Bread Flour

Knead 10 minutes.
Rise to Double
Punch and Shape 1 Loaf
Rise to Double...

Bake 375 for about 45 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suggest Malibu Solar Spots w/ a Remote Panel Collector for the lights.
Use 2 instead of the 3 provided.
They are Killer!
Ric

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5743790

Happy Birthday Darius!!!

Hi All...Made it back from Tennessee at 1:30 this morning...Took a while to get Paul settled in to his new digs, and show the sisters what needed doing for him, and we had to rearrange some furniture...They had no concept of the turning radius for both his manual wheelchair or the electric scooter...I am sure going to miss seeing him out at the VA but he wants to come visit us next spring/summer after we are moved ...

Ric that looks terrific...Plants are going to be verrry happy there in the winter...LOL

I am doing the laundry, and trying to get the kitchen cleaned up...Then I need to zip into town, and get a few groceries, and see if I can score some more packing boxes...
I am getting ruthless in what I am getting rid of, and what I am taking...I'm tired of packing it, and tired of cleaning it.. LOL

Have a great day, and enjoy this sunshine!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5744201

Thanks, Ric. I'll try the recipe when my rye flour arrives, and I shall look for the lights. Do they have an on-off switch? No need to have a constant light in that room...

Thanks for the b'day wishes, Dusty!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5744669

You are very welcome Darius...I hope you have had a super day!
I think the lights Ric is speaking of are solar powered??

Made it back from town, and have the last of the laundry going...
I got a monster boneless pork loin roast for $1.77 a pound at Krogers, and I divided it in 3rds and put 2 in the freezer and have the 3rd going for supper...I have some sweet potatoes to bake and I'll dig out a veggie...

I guess I am working tomorrow...My first is in Xenia at 9:30am...I was hoping to be off as usual, so naturally they called me...:-((

My kiddo called me a bit ago, and we may get into the house this month so we can be moved by Dec 1st...I sure hope so...This uncertainty is driving me crazier than I already am...I just want it over with...I will be sad to leave this house, but not sad to leave the neglegent owner of it...He promised a roofer in May and I have yet to see one and the storm caused more damage that has yet to be repaired...He should be ashamed not to care about this magnificent old structure...It is truly a HOME, and has been for us...

I am off to the kitchen again...and fold the last of the laundry...

Have a goodun...

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5744791

Dusty
Did you read your d-mails from me with the info from John Rice? If you have the daylilies in pots inside where it is warm, you should be seeing more growth than sprouts. I talked to John the other day, and he said he has not had a package from you with the one daylily in it, so am thinking you didn't see the d-mails? Would hate for you to lose that one. But now that it's been potted for this long, don't know how much damage it would cause to un-pot to send to John at this point. To bad we didn't know about this move - I could have had Janet stick your fans right back in the ground here, and I could have mailed to you next spring. If all the others I gave you don't make it, no big deal, but that one would be very hard to replace, at least for several years till mine re-grows into a clump.

To everyone else
Sue - if you want, I will **try** to get the butternut "pumpkin" pie recipe typed up here for you. I got it from an old Victory Garden show back when Chef Marion Morash was still on - I think it was back when it was Crockett's Victory Garden. I know I have been making them for years and years.

I have been rather under the weather, fighting off a cold, and being in more pain than normal, so have been quiet here and staying away from typing. Using phone to view posts most of the time.

My Aquarium photos came out bad. Could not get exposure - had to get so slow on shutter, fish blurred. Bummer. Still enjoyed going. Tried the tricks from Ric and Kimberley, but still could not get it. Camera wanted to use flash, but aquarium didn't want flash used, and also would have made glare on glass. So gave up after first few tanks and just enjoyed the fish.

Ric - went shopping for a new TV for my Mom for her bedroom yesterday. She wanted a larger one. But, being 83, she only wanted to spend $150. Can't buy much for that. So she gave up. But, I ran into a close out Toshiba 26" flat screen and I could not pass it up. I spend a lot of time laying down with my bad arm elevated, and my bedroom is the only place I can be comfortable - so I got the new TV for my bedroom and my Mom will take my old "regular" 19." The Toshiba was a floor model, so no box or anything. Only problem I have is that I have TimeWarner, and have a DVR. The DVR controller worked for my other TV sound, channel, mute etc - everything. New TV - only works for mute and will change channel. So I need both remotes so I can change volume and turn TV on and off. I guess I have to have TimeWarner out to re-program or something. I am normally pretty good with this sort of thing, but I have been through every menu etc and cannot find a place to put in any sort of ID code for the new TV if I could find the code (which I figure I can find online)... does that sound like something I would need to do - have them come out and reprogram to new TV? Or they might be able to do over phone like they can restart DVR? I tell you that HD TV is wonderful! So clear and bright and has wonderful color! I love it!

Waving to everyone!
Jules

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5745008

Happy Birthday Darius :) big (((())))) to you
Gosh thanks for the recipe :) sounds yummie
yeah i don't know about WH, i guess this one we went to just isn't the best one.IT had an "ick factor " Dh says the one is Georgia was really good !!
If i get bad food and have to pay for it , then it ain't a good. LOL :)
busy day today
got the garden beds made and it looks nice. I got 8, 12 ' beds. So glad to get it done . :)
went to Bob Evans and i like there menu . But if you ask for anything different , its like they don't get it ? what is up with that ?
ttyl
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5745114

Sue - Peel a butternut squash, cut into cubes, and I put mine in a steamer basket, over boiling water, and steam until tender. Depends on how big your cubes are how long it takes. Drain, and then when cool, squeeze the excess water out. I just squeeze it in well with my hands. The recipe calls for it to be mashed, but by the time it's steamed and squeezed, I have not needed to mash.

I find the best way to peel a butternut squash is to lay it on it's side, slice it across into 1" slices. Then, you can cut down the slices to cut the rind off. The rind is pretty tough and can be challenging. Once you have done it a time or two, you'll get the hang of it. Then, remove the seeds and stringy inside like you would a pumpkin before cutting into cubes.

NOTE: We do not like a "spicy" pie - this is actually at 1/4 the amount of spice that Marion did hers - so feel free to use more spice (see note after recipe!) Don't double the salt though!!! Also - I copied this from a VCR tape of the show - so the instructions don't sound "professional" LOL.

Victory Garden "Pumpkin" Pie
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teasp. salt
1/3 teasp. cinnamon
1/8 teasp. ground dry ginger
1/8 teasp. fresh grated nutmeg
1/8 teasp. allspice
1/16 teasp. cloves
2 eggs
1-3/4 to 2 cups butternut squash, steamed, squeezed, mashed, cooled - measure after squeezing etc
1 can evaporated milk

Heat oven to 425. Make your pie shell for 9" pie.
Combine sugar, spices and salt.
Beat eggs in large bowl, stir in squash, add milk.
Add dry ingredients and mix well, until smooth.
Pour into pie shell. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes
then reduce heat to 325 and bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set.
Cool completely before cutting.

(If you use a mixer to beat this, you may end up with stringy strands of squash on the blades - but after it's baked, it won't be stringy at all. So don't panic if it is not perfectly smooth.)
---------
We like Marion's spice combination a lot. I actually make this up instead of buying "pumpkin pie spice" and keep it in a jar. Mom likes it on baked apples, etc.
5-1/3 teasp. cinnamon
2 teasp. ground dry ginger
2 teasp. ground nutmeg
1 teasp. allspice
1 teasp. cloves
then, I use 1 teasp. of this mix when I make the pie - so you would use 3-4 teasp. to make the original recipe if you like it spicy with pumpkin pie spice flavor.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 8:40 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5745136

Thank you
sounds wonderful !!!!
got two butternut today
i have a hard time finding ground ginger ? its just not in our area for some reason ? i guess no one knows what it is ? cuz i get the "dumb deer look in the eyes " when i ask . I will keep up the search. I love cloves
thanks again
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5745486

Sue.. Kroger has it in the Baking/spice aisle
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5745577

Jules that's a great deal!

For the Manual on the TV (OR about anything) try here.
You will need to register but I'm pretty sure the Manuals are free.

http://www.retrevo.com/samples/Toshiba-manuals.html#LCD TV

or you can go straight to the Toshiba site..

For the Time/Warner Remote...
Here you go...

http://www.timewarnercable.com/centralny/customer/cable/remoteguide.html

Darius there is no On/Off switch (except on the solar panel) but it's low voltage so making one shouldn't be a big or expensive deal.
I'm thinking a simple toggle switch.

Well we got the room wrapped and the gaps are all foamed.
The rafter tails are trimmed. (THAT was a Bear... and I knew it would be)
Drip edge is done and a piece of facia board up...
Our Son Mat helped us out and his sheet metal tools made the drip edge a snap.
So next weekend we will start the trim and shingles.
Also we'll throw down some permanent roofing.

We're finalizing a GH design for the roof unit...
It will be a permanent wood frame w/ plastic this year.
Next year we'll re-glaze it in polycarbonate.

Here's an early morning shot of inside.
Still need to find a new door... lol!
The left is East so I'm facing South...
LOTS of light in that end...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5745595

Sue - if you have extra squash, and want to try something really good - Ina Garten from the Food Network did this with butternut - cube peeled squash and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 450 until tender and slightly browned and starting to carmelize. I put the cubes on a baking sheet lined with foil for easy clean up. Very good! Butternut is my favorite winter squash. Ina Garten, in my opinion, is one of the few people still worth watching on the Food Network. I would love to have the access to ingredients she has, and the money to buy what she does! She makes amazing things! Simple - but really good. Everything I have tried of hers has been very good.

Marion Morash wrote a wonderful book "Victory Garden Cookbook" that can be hard to find these days - but if my house was burning - it would be one of the items I would want to grab! I don't normally write in my books, but my copy is covered with 20 years of cooking notes! It is probably my favorite cookbook. She has a wonderful squash and chocolate swirl cake - sounds horrid, but is so good!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5745597

Here's where we left off...

Thumbnail by henryr10

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5745605

Ric - you are AMAZING!!!!
Thank you!!!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5745815

Juli...
They are all in the fruit cellar where it is quite cool...THAT one is being verrrrry quiet...but very far from being gone...It is extremely healthy...It was one of the first to seem to take to it's big pot... :-)))
Only 4 of the others had a small sprout...They aren't growing anymore... just sitting there in wait...All of them look terrific...No withering or more browning...I trimmed them down like you said to...Somehow I believe THAT one has spoken to the others and they are just waiting till spring to do their thing...I would never uproot him now...I am in the cellar at least once a week to relight the water heater so I see them then and they look great...I can't believe how good and healthy they look...Just sleepy... ;-)

Speaking of sleepy.. I am off to bed...Had a hot bath and it drained me...

Rest well all, and have a wonderful day tomorrow...

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5745888

Dusty, going by what John said - if you can, I would bring them out where they can get good light and warmth. He said they may get spindly, but should do better out in light and warmth than in an unlit cool area. John is an incredible horticulturalist, and best daylily grower I know - he makes his living growing daylilies in a greenhouse (which is sort of indoors) ...

Ok, off to watch 24 on the new TV... I am trying to make it through all the seasons before the new season starts in January. Several of us at work are doing this 24 thing, trading DVD's of the seasons as we get done with them. I am in the first few hours of season 3. I am a fairly new 24 fan. I rented all the seasons a year or so ago from the video store after seeing a few episodes on A&E in rerun and liking it. There is so much to that show, I am seeing a lot more watching it a second time, than I did the first time. Jack Bauer in HD!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5745935

Hey, everyone. I headed out with Howie before even checking e-mail or DG today. Happy birthday Darius, albeit a little late!

I've been fighting a headache this evening and think I may hit the hay early. Tomorrow's the day my Cricut should arrive at the store. I'm excited! :D
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5746034

Evening folks, it has been a busy one here. First church, then home for lunch, a wee nap, then had to be at a District meeting of the church at 3:00. Got out of that at 4:30, picked up some carry out, came home, and ate, read a bit, and then watched Desperate Housewives. Won an ebay auction, and took care of the details of that. Now I need to look at some other threads, and then off to bed.

I am starting the cemetery data base tomorrow, and it will require me to be at the cemetery for about 2 hours in the morning, making sure that I have all the names recorded.

Darius, hope you had a great day. Do anything special?

Ric, wow, I am bowled over by the work that you have done on the plant room. Thanks for that bread recipe, may give it a try.

Jules, thanks for the pie recipe, and hope that your pain subsides quickly.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
7:15 AM

Post #5746429

Jules,
Time Warner will come out & reprogram it for the new TV. Employment must be up at TW because you don't have to wait a month for a servivce appointment anymore. They usually come within a day or 2 now! Hope you feel better soon.

Darius, happy b'day a bit late! I enjoyed reading your article on flax & flaxseed-- a couple weeks ago, maybe? I have 2 well-established flax in one bed, & a gorgeous dark red one that I just got this year. I'm worried that it has bitten the dust because all of a sudden it dried out, including the main stem. I think it might have gotten bumped by flying debris in the Cincinnati Hurricane of Sept.

Janet, what sort of cemetery project are you doing? If you're going to put it on rootsweb, the genealogists will love you! Last year I helped on the Knox county KY project to get all the Knox county marriages online. It was a lot of work for everybody, but it helps so many people-- including me. I was missing 2 marriages for my gr-gr-gr-grandfather (Out of the 7 he had in his almost 100 years), and there they were in Knox county. Something like one-third of people coming west in the 18th & 19th centuries went through the Cumberland Gap region, so getting those records available can really make a difference to those of us who don't travel well.

Have fun with your new Cricut, GW!
I'm trying to learn new photo editing software since my old, ancient Adobe Photodeluxe Business Edition that came with my first scanner disappeared when trying to install updates on my puter. I hate learning new software! :-(

Whiningly,
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
8:30 AM

Post #5746483

Having tossed and turned for 3 hours or so, I've given up trying to sleep (for now). Started planning Thanksgiving dinner in my head, then got up to look up the turkey brine recipe. I ordered a heritage hen from the farmer's market, a small one since there's just 3 of us. Bourbon Red turkey. Hope it's tasty since it's not cheap. If you haven't read Barbara Kingsolver's "new" book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, it's a good read and has a hysterical chapter about them raising this turkey breed.

Ric, the room is looking wonderful. (I'd never try to make drip edge, even if I had a good brake!) And, I guess I won't look for the lights you suggested if they are low voltage... sounds like I'd still have to run some wires? That's what I want to avoid until spring, when I'll wire the whole room 110v. I need to replace the low voltage path lights out front... the transformer is bad and I hate the light shapes anyway. Maybe I'll look for those lights to put there. Big box store?

My DG friend Bev (Sundownr) sent me a note today that she got bags of fresh pears from a friend, so I'm driving up there today to fetch some. Don't know what I'll do with them until I see them, but maybe some pear honey recipe from the canning forum...

Okay, off to try again to catch a few zzzzzz's.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #5746579

Morning Darius!
I cheated on the drip edge... it's preformed.
I used his hand brake and cutters to do a custom fit around the corners.
I've made drip... for 2 bucks a 10' strip it ain't worth it.
Lights and drip edge... yes Big Box.

Gonna be a LOVELY week here!
Low 70's!

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5746809

Darius, I found a battery operated lantern (LED I think and it takes 4 D cell batteries) in Walmart's camping department for about $20 when we had the power outage after Ike blew through. It's not bright enough for extensive reading, but it'd light up the room, so that you'd be able to see well enough to get through the room and find what you were looking for. And is just a good thing to have on hand anyway. We bought it and a handcrank lantern with a radio and cell phone charger.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5747322

Thanks, Robin. I did buy one of those at Lowe's Saturday. I have an old charger for D cells... need to find rechargeable batteries and see if the thing still works, or get a new one. The charger for AA cells is solar and I need new batteries for it, too. The Radio Shack brand rechargeable batteries aren't worth a hoot. We (Americans) put over 3 billion batteries per year in the landfills and I just HATE that!

I finally figured out why I couldn't sleep... I didn't take my morning meds until 3 in the afternoon, and my thyroid pills say take in the mornings only. So I guess it was the thyroid meds keeping me awake. Sure won't make THAT mistake again anytime soon!

Off to get a late breakfast, and the pears...

Ta,Ta...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5747482

Energizer's NiMH batteries are great, Darius. We have a Coleman rechargeable camping lantern. It has small fluorescent bulbs and works well for us out in the shed. We bought a solar-powered spot on clearance and just need to install it out there. It has a separate plate we can mount on the shed roof. The other thought we had was to mount it up by the translucent white skylight. Would that provide enough light to charge it?
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5747868

Hi all. Happy Belated Birthday to you, Darius!

We made it home from the Mall trip last night and had a great trip. The weather was unbelievable. If someone had told me that I would be walking in Minnesota in November in a sleeveless shirt and be comfortable, I'd have had to call them a fibber, but that is indeed what I did!

Got some great buys and I'm probably 80% finished with Christmas shopping now. That's a good feeling!

Hope you all are enjoying this wonderful weather!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5748413

I use rechargeables when possible, too, darius.

Joyce, glad you had a nice trip. This weather is wonderful isn't it!

Ric, that room is looking great!!! Lots of hard work y'all've done in there.

So, doesn't anybody know any reasonable places to stay around Springfield? I'm planning on leaving here Sat afternoon for the show Sunday morning.

Painting here so need to go. TTY'allL

Lana
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5748676

Well, my Cricut didn't come in today's shipment. I'm hoping for tomorrow. I'm also hoping the line isn't 2-3 hours long for voting. Think I'll get lucky on both counts? I just know I'm bringing a paperback with me to the polls! ;)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5749011

Hi !!!
Lana i am in Springfeild all the time , its only 25 min from me. I will check into it for you to see what is around and close to the Fair grounds :)
Gw bummer on the Circut , oh man you must be chomping on the bit for it. :)
Joyce sounds like you had a wonderful time. :)
Darius wow on the pears !! lucky ducky you are.Hope you get some sleep tonight . I have looked at that book , sounds like a good read.
Ric wow you've come along way on that project !! it is looking great.
daylilly_Ohio i m new to learning to love squash. your recieps sound very yummy. I too love Ina !!!! i have one of her books but its in storage and can't find it. I agree she is one of the last i like to watch on Food network. I used to watch Pbs on saturdays with Julia Child and Jaque Papan ( spelling ?) and Two Fat Chicks, boy i loved them !!! just not the same anymore :( To much Bobby Flay IMHO :)
still working away on the wood pile , looks like it could be 3 cords ?
have a great nite
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5749564

I had a lovely day (outside) today, traveling up the road and doing some fun shopping with Bev. Found a new state surplus store in her area, lots of goodies although pretty well picked-over until new stuff comes in next week. I did buy a case (2 dozen) of lidded 4 oz. glass jars, perfect size for the herbs and spices I buy from bulk containers at the natural foods stores. Over time, many of the ones I re-use end up with broken lids. Found some powdered buttermilk at another store. Lots of my recipes call for a cup of buttermilk and then the rest goes to waste.

Best of all, I came home with nearly 2 bushels of Bartlett pears! They will keep fairly well in my root cellar, so that gives me ample time to look and decide on recipes!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5749623

Wow, you all have been busy today. Darius, a state surplus store? In Ky, the only surplus is sold at auction which is advertised in advance, and it is mostly vehicles, and power equipment. I have pears that I need to do something with. Was thinking about canning some, to use in pies, and to bake. This year has been a good year for fruit around here.

Pat, it is me that is doing the cemetery project. I am recording and platting the older part of our community cemetery. The data base that I will make will be used mostly for finding relatives, and soliciting donations for the upkeep on the grounds. It is still an active cemetery, and the newer burials have maintenance fees built into the purchase price of the graves, but the older sections need to be platted an analized to see if there are living relatives. The historical society has already published the names in a book that was put together about 10 years ago. It was a nice day for being outside and visiting with the people who came through today.

This afternoon, I was out cutting down foliage of annual flowers that have already had a frost, and carting that off to the compost bin. I will be adding some leaves, and other yard waste, and hope by spring I have a good amount of compost to use.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5749712

Lana.. Sorry I didn't answer your question about places to stay sooner, The exit right before the fairgrounds has several hotels. Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, and one other that I can't remember the name of. The street they would be on is Leffel Lane.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5750542

Bonnie, down in this area, arrangements have been made for inmates of the detention center to do the upkeep on small cemeteries. Might be something worth checking out. BTW, finally got started on my leaf castings yesterday. I did not know I had so many muscles in my backside that could hurt so much. Apparently, being on my knees, leaning forward to apply the cement was a little too much strain. Did 5 yesterday and another 10 today.

Darius, great score! I've been contemplating ordering powdered buttermilk, margarine and butter to have on hand for baking. Just wasn't sure of what the reconstituted quality would be.

Joyce, glad you had a great time and got so much shopping done!

Lana, good luck at the show this weekend!

Ric, anxious to see the completed room!

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5750702

Morning all.

Did my "patriotic duty" first thing this morning. Took an hour with wait and vote time. I'm sure it could have been much worse and will be later! All the parking places were full, so I parked in the closed gas station across the street.

If I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk, I just use a tsp of lemon to a cup of milk. Always seems to turn out okay. I just don't care for buttermilk and sometimes it's hard to find a pint, so instead of wasting a quart, I just use the lemon juice.

Lana, if I was closer, I'd offer the use of our spare bedroom for you. It takes about an hour to get to Springfield from our house, so if you would want to travel that much the offer still stands.

Room looks great Ric!! What a difference!

Darius, you are such a go getter. When I grow up I want to be just like you! :-)

You might know the weather will be gorgeous during the week, and then turn cold when I'm off. :O(

Have a great day all!!!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5750811

I do the same thing for buttermilk, just adding acid to milk. I use lemon juice or white vinegar- whichever is handier at the moment. For baking, its that extra acidity that reacts with the baking soda or powder that you're going for, so it works just fine. When I'm using buttermilk as a marinade, I prefer the real thing though.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5750844

I vote for real buttermilk, although sometimes in a pinch I use homemade plain kefir in it's place. (not quite as sour)
If you don't use it fast enough perhaps freeze the remainder in 1/2C portions?

What do you marinade in Buttermilk?

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5750869

I have a new grandson, born last night in San Diego, Ethan (don't know the middle name) Larkins, 7lbs 4oz. *beaming*
He wasn't due until the 23rd and is a little premature so he's spending some time in an incubator.
I don't know how a 7lb baby can be considered premature?? Regardless his lungs need a little time to mature and the whole thing is very distressing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5750920

Congrats on the new grandson!

I have "done my duty" and voted too. I expected some wait, but there was none. Turns out only about 700 people total vote at the Seven Mile Ford precinct.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5750947

Congratulations on Ethan, Dovey. I'll be praying that those little lungs get strong real quick. Is this your first?

Bet it's killing you to be in Ohio when you really want to be in California!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5751539

Congrats, Grandmama! When will you get to see him? Bet you're itching to get on the next flight out! I use a buttermilk base (with salt, pepper, and various seasonings) to marinate chicken before frying, and for game meats, particularly venison.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5752138

Thank you all!
Ethan is my 8th grandbaby (oh my gosh - how can that be????)
I have a ticket for Nov 17th and I'm trying to work out something sooner.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5752612

I bet it never gets old having a new grandbaby. :) :)

I meant to post earlier, but I've been on the run this afternoon. Howie and I made a little video right before we went in to vote. Yeah, we're goofballs. http://www.gardenwife.com/you-still-have-time-to-vote
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5752894

Congrats Dovey!

Hubby and I got the kids out the door today then had our own errand to run. I had my sonogram today. There is definitely something wrong with the water out here!

We had lunch out. Hard to believe we crave LaRosa's. LOL The closest one just went in a few months ago and it's still about 25 minutes away. We've not been there yet but we can't really afford to eat out anyway. Since it was just hubby, me and Maddie, we splurged.

We got out to vote. Hubby voted during basketball practice and I voted during soccer practice. I guess that is the good part of living in podunk-hubby was in an out in about twenty minutes. I only had to wait about twenty minutes since I went during the time everyone is getting off work.

Dinner is almost ready and I'm hungry. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5752947

GW that is so cute !!!!! i love it. :)
hey all , been a busy day
Got the green house moved and am making it longer 20 ft. with some of the left over wood D-logs from the house.
got son to the dentist and he finaly opened his mouth. Took 3 visits lolllll
went to eat pizza, not good for my diet but we promised him if he opened up his mouth at the dentist he could have pizza. oh well.
dovey yeah for you !!! a new grandbabe how exciting . :) T&P to you and the family.
Bonnie i would love to do work at cemetarys , i just hope the church we go to has something similar. I would enjoy that . Don't know why? i have always just found cemetarys interesting ( yeah i guess i m weird )
Hey Neal big ~~~~~
Darius wow on the find of powdered buttermilk ok so how dumb am i ? i didn't even know you could do that !! ?? lollllll
well kids need to get to bed
hugs to you all
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #5753469

Evening folks, I did mostly domestic things today, mainly laundry, as DGD had to go home, and I always try to have all of her clothes clean.

Dovey, congrats on the grandbaby. Sure hope that his little lungs will get strong soon, and won't need the incubator.

Sue, I am on the Board of Directors for this cemetery, and it is a different kind of work. This project has been going on for about 18 months, and now that we have it all mapped, I will create the data base this winter.

Our voting precinct is so small, that there was no wait, and was in and out in about 5 minutes. Later on, I went back (DGD) was visiting a friend and the voting precinct is in their garage. I tried to get them to let Mr. B vote, but they couldn't find his name on the register, besides, I didn't know how he would register, and I definitely wanted him with my party!!

I buy the powdered buttermilk to bake with. In my Kroger, it is located by the canned milks. It will keep a long time in the refrigerator. It is great to have on hand, when you pull out a recipe which calls for buttermilk, and have none!!

Chele, what is that remark about the water? Is there something that you need to tell these inquiring minds? Glad that you got a meal out, and I suppose that Maddie will keep the secret.

Tomorrow is grocery day, so will be out and about, glad to be getting it done, as the weather liars are saying Thursday is gonna be much cooler.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5753509

Chele, what does that MEAN???
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5753511

Chele, what does that MEAN??? Is there a twig and berries?
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5753549

lol GW, I've never heard of it THAT way before.

When I read her post, I wondered when someone was going to say something. lol

Come out with it Chele...please.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5753689

GW the video was cute
We rocked the vote ( absentee ) weeks ago.

Thank you all for you good wishes and congratulations, Ethan is improving.

Dove
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #5754078

Aren't I just horrible? LOL

We got to see all of the baby's parts today and all are there in the correct number and working order so far as I could tell.

There were a few exceptions though...this baby has some extra parts that NONE of the girls had.

IT'S A BOY!

I told the tech we definitely wanted to know the sex as we had nothing for boys and have six girls. The first thing we saw when she put the dopler on my belly was boy parts. The little stinker had his legs up and a nice clear shot...like he was laughing at us.

By the way, Lalamchop calls it a "turtle". LOL

One of the local dads said it's the redneck water. Geesh!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5754555

Congrats, Chele!! You are rotten!...leaving that tidbit, LOL.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5754625

hahahahaha

Thanks Neal!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5754657

Congrats Chele. well 6 older sisters will either be a blessing or a curse! lol.. The good news is that you have enough tomboys in there to train him well in sports. Way to end your streak!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5754661

I told you already it was a boy. Didn't you believe me??> I know these things.(Somehow, and I don't want to know how I know them). I knew my daughter was pg before she did and she lives in Texas!!! This little prince will have it made with all the adoring sisters to dote on him. Congratulations and Craig and you and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers. That job has got to come along real soon. LOu
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5754708

Thanks ladies. :) I think I am still in shock. We had a pediatrician tell us 2-3 kids ago, that once you have so many of one sex, that is probably all you will ever have. Craig's uncle with ten kids, had five boys before he got a girl. His other uncle, with five kids, had four boys then a girl. I guess it's funny we had six then a boy. LOL We know a local family that had six girls and got mommy's tubes tied. Then she got them untied. Number 7 was a boy. Number 8 was a boy. Not sure if they have plans for any more.

Craig has still had no luck getting a job and it doesn't look promising. We are looking at other counties and states as well. I have an interview at Kmart today for a full time position. We have a maddening system that docks your benefits if you do anything to get ahead or help yourself but will hand you everything if you don't attempt to better your situation. It seems to me, it would be more wise, to keep helping those that are trying...

I keep wishing I'd find some older couple in a similar situation, maybe not able to keep up with a farm anymore and also not wanting to leave. I think it would be really great to share expenses, let us do all the work and keep them at home and out of a home in their golden years. My kids and I always enjoyed helping the elderly and less social people in our old neighborhood. It was great for all of us. I guess it's maybe a crazy thought. I hear all the time anymore about older people in the same situation as us and they are giving up too and losing their homes and trying to live on very little. My kids have never known a grandparent. Our old neighbor used to spoil them and we took care of her when she was fading away. It worked out well. Now we have Charlie across the road and we help each other out but he's as busy as we are and always on the run. LOL Good for him!

Well, we need to get Maddie off to school and I need to get ready for my interview. Wonder if they'll notice my "bump". :O
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5754734

They aren't allowed to ask you about your bump :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5754768

LOL Don't ask, don't tell? I've not mentioned it before until after I was hired. It turned out fine as I work as long as I can, up to my due date.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5754779

Chelle i know the pain , try and get ahead and they cut you back so you are never ahead. The way i got around that is cleaning houses. I got pd cash ! don't ask, don't tell. LOLLLLL of course cleaning houses in your condition would be hard .
So excited you got a boy. I will save my boy stuff for you !!!! course i don't have baby stuff , just the older kids sizes. I will look thought might have some Bob The Builder stuff laying around . I will save toys for you too ?
not much here , working on GH today again
Got my Julia Child baking book out and found a no fail dough . ! think i m going to try that .
Got lots of apples for apple stuff
Darius how are the pears comming along ? are you going to make pear honey ? that would be nice ! and yummmy.
I still got my dehydrator but just havin't used it yet. My vac and seal took a dump on me !!! grrrr. Discontinued item grrrrrr. from 2 yrs ago . They said i should never have been sold this model ! grrrrr. I have only used it twice. It worked great for my berries but i m doing meat and it just won't vacum !!! , it sucks !!! LOLLLL pun intended weeee
have a great day
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5755186

Sue, sometimes meats are a problem for a vacuum sealer, due to moisture. Try freezing the meat first (not in the bag you will seal it in), then make sure the bag is dry onside after you insert the meat to seal.

Chele... diversity is a good thing... even though he WILL be spoiled by the girls!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5756136

thanks darius. The woman on the 1800 number for the company said the same thing after i called this morning. Will try that also and them see if it works. She did say the gaskets were the reason they disconntinued this model . No parts for it anymore . Hope that isn't the problem and its just user problems LOLLLLL
woke up to 4 young deer in the front of the house. I lreally like that feeling.
We are putting a barn inside the woods and will be clearing out another area. Some really big tree's that are hollow and diseased will come out too. THey are such pretty tree's but the they are hollow and need to come out. We will clear about a 1/2 acre. Some area for animals too for winter bedding.
Still working on GH . But its up ,just needs the cover on it .might wait until spring.
cooking butternut squash for a pie. Dh wants coconut and DS wants pumpkin thank goodness DD doesn't like pie. uhg.
off to do dinner.
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5756146

forgot to say
"Craig does know the girls will play and dress him up like a girl ? don't you " ?ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5756252

YAY Chele!!!! Next best thing to twin boys! :O)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008

Post #5756326

Congrats Chele, that child is gonna be so spoiled, he will even smell!! That's so great though, now if things will just go well, and no surprises during the pregnancy, wishing you both lots of health, and t & p.

Gonna be bagging up some seeds tonight, I am giving some away for an SASBE, just to get some out of the house!!

Today was grocery/errand day, and it went well, and I was home fairly early.

DH is out washing the car and truck, maybe he thinks this will be the last nice day to do that.

I am off to the kitchen to finish supper, it is smelling good.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5756607

Boy, oh, boy!! I knew it!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5756721

Time for a new Thread...

We are continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/920597/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5756728

no pies tonight . Just got the filling and dinner is all cleaned up and i forgot my beer down stairs uhg. Hold on i have to go get it... Ok i m back. whew . IM pooped.
Weather is to get chilly this weekend. brrrrr. Got to get alot done the next two days.
Kids are up in the loft playing with cars hmmmm just waiting for one of them cars to come flying over the loft and hitting me in the face ?
not much here to report
hope you all are enjoying our nice weather.
Chelle so what kind of names are you thinking of ? Maybe a "boy named Sue " *Giggle.* OK i had to say it . hehehehe
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5756733

aaaah man i just typed all of that stuff !!! :P

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America