Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

High Yield Gardening: wanting to put a raised be square foot garden bed.

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 268
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
topcat322
Gretna, LA

October 26, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5719905

My name is Teresa and enjoy gardening of all types. I am especially interested in square foot gardening. I am wanting to purchase some garden connectors. My garden spot is very long and narrow and runs along a fence. Of course I want to implentement veritical trellising for the tomatos , squash and the cucumbers and anything else that can go vertically. My big problem is knowing how many connector for a space that is appromaxitely 2 ft wide and and about 15 to 20 ft. long if any body has any ideas please send me an email. Thanks Teresa
joy112854
Crestview, FL

October 27, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5719998

Teresa: I know they sell the connectors on Gardening Supply, and they don't mind taking calls from potential customers with questions, they might be able to help you out. Other than that I am not sure myself, I've thought about what you are talking about also. Their phone number is 1-800-427-3363 and their email is www.gardeners.com Hope this helps some.
joy112854
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5721410

what way would you have to plant to get the plants facing north to south, two long rows or lots of little 2 ft ones?
johnnierotten
Hammondsport, NY

December 10, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5876332

i am not going to tell you to use or not use connectors...but...for about 30 yrs i have used rough cut 2" x 10" x 10' hemlock boards...just nail them together with galvanized nails. i use four of these on the sides and then make them 3' to 4' wide. i have 8 of them...it is more than enough and no leaching of chemical and inexpensive (save the cost of the rough cut hemlock) ..i have had them in place ten years and may only need to replace them in about 2 yrs from now...
very simple...i use t-bar and fence for tomatos, cukes or anything else that climbs...i use rebar 3' long and place them at intervals long and wide and tie together with hemp twine >>>i plant my peppers one to each square...so i get 4 peppers across a bed and go as long as i want and they are well supported...all very simple and inexpensive..wish i had some pics but it is winter here in n.y.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

December 10, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5876652

Has anyone checked out the above ground gardens at www.orcaboard.com ? Are they what you are talking about? Are these reasonable? I've thought about getting one eventually for planting my carrots and onions in.
joy112854
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5878049

johnierotten is giving you good advice.

I used deck screws - there are pics here;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/710489/
joy112854
Crestview, FL

December 11, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5879500

Lucky Texan: I clicked on taht link and you have some nice looking raised beds.
joy112854
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5880215

thanx - the planting mix has settled quite a bit but we just throw more compost on it - a little after harvesting and more in spring.

And the grids are gone now. If you want to try the one foot square grid approach, I suggest using string.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

December 11, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5881003

Lucky Texan: The string sounds like a great idea. How do I mark a post I want to refer to later on? I want to mark the one with the link you have for your above ground garden. That way, when the time comes for me to do mine I can refer to yours and get mine right.
joy112854
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5881640

Joy, since the Search function appears to be disabled, I think marking the page as a Favorite/Bookmark should work. Also, highlighting the URL and saving it in a Wordpad folder (maybe with a short blurb what it is) would also work. There is a way to collect 'tags' here on DG but maybe someone else knows how that works.(anyone?) Depends on how you like to organize stuff I guess. You could print it out too!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 10:42 AM
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5881815

Wish someone would would explain how to tag a DG thread. I've yet to figure it out.

On my Desktop I have a folder labeled "Gardening". When I run across a URL I want to save, I click on "File", "Send", and then "Send to Desktop". Once it on my desktop, I click on it without releasing the mouse button and drag it to my "Garden" folder, then release the mouse button. Often times I rename the URL title under the icon to something easy for me to identify what is inside.

Another way I save information if I don't want the URL, is to copy & paste into a word processing document and save with some descriptive name. Wordpad or Notepad would also work. I have a "Garden" folder in my "Documents" folder where I save all my gardening stuff.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 12:02 PM
joy112854
Crestview, FL

December 11, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5881838

Wow, printing sounds easier. (smiles).
joy112854
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5881983

Sorry, but I can never find anything in my paper stacks.
(sad)

Files on computers were made for guys like me. (LOL)

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

December 12, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5884643

TexasRock: Now, I don't feel so bad about the way my office looks. LOL I bought a huge notebook binder and have a triple hole punch, so when I print something out from the computer for gardening, in the notebook it goes, immediately, or it's lost forever. Kind of like my purse, it's the black hole, I put something in it and then who knows where it goes right? LOL The real mess is in my kitchen right now, I have 2 EBs and a GP in there with strawberries planted in them, they are going outside today, been watering them and keeping them in the house, I did line the floor with plastic underneath them and put towels by the drain off hole; but I guess you can figure how well that worked right?
joy112854

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8735441

>> explain how to tag a DG thread.

It is well hidden.
Upper roght corner, to the right of the "Search Forums" button/
It looks like a manila folder. Click that to add a "tag"

But I don;t know how to jump TO a tag! I also copy-paste tyhe Internet URL and sometimes the post number to a doc that I keep handy.

You do know that you can "watch" a thread? then, when someone psots, a link appears on your DG homepage until you have read that thread again. That's what I use to keep track of active threads.

Corey
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8753980

If you post on the thread then it will be saved in the threads posted area under the tab at the top of this page. The tab you want to cick on is "My Info".

We used corner posts from Gardners Supply. They are not cheap. Tex and Johnnie are right that you do not need to use them. We went with them at the time because we can use the corners to hold the ends of our enclosures. If you look at the corner of the bed in the photo you can see what we used.

The enclosures keep woodchucks out of the bed in the summer and hold up the plastic for winter gardening. If you don't have either of these issues then fastening like their sugests is a more economical way to go.

Thumbnail by SusanKC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 16, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8760606

Susan: I made an above ground bed of a kiddie pool from Walmart, it's about 6 ft circular and I filled it with garden soil, potting mix, perlite and was thinking about adding about 1 lb of dolomite to it to bring the PH to where it would be nice for collards and mustard greens but have some questions:
How many collards and mustard greens can I fit in there? How much fertlizer do I need to add, it has a soaker hose I put half way up in the pool so it will stay moist this fall and winter.
joy
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8760982

Go off of the spacing requirements shown on your seed packets.

We've never added Dolmite to the soil here. I've also never added it to a container. We have an issue sometimes with the soil being too alkaline and not an issue with being too acidic. We usually add compost and test our soil. When we have added fertilizer, we use the information provided by soil test results and the recommend spread rate found on the fertilizer package to determine how much fertilizer to add. You might ask someone on your DG regional gardening what they do.

Make sure you have drainage holes in the bottom of the pool.

I would put the soaker hose on top of the soil. You will need to look at the distribution of water to make sure your crops are getting water some what evenly. I use an "s" shaped layout for the soaker hoses in my beds. With greens I've been using a section of soaker hose that has two drip line spray fittings on it. I find that the water has better distribution over the seeds and I get better seed germination.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8762281

Seeing your Tags:

- - My Info
- - View your tagged pages.

Thanks, Susan! I never went there before!

Corey

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8763357

Corey,
And --- View your tagged pages as a cloud is the bomb! They're alphabetized!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America