Photo by Melody

Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings: You've done it again!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and WeddingsReplies: 8, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5721500

You have brought back memories for me.

We never had the Stack Cake as a wedding cake (or my memory is worse than I thought), but it was always our "Christmas Cake"...I always managed to be around when my Grandmother made the cake...she would let me have some of the dough to roll out for sugar cookies.

As I remember it we used reconstituted dried apples ...cooked and well seasoned with sugar and spice...or either just "canned fruit" which was like apple sauce Mom had made and canned...just not as fine...a little more chunky.

This is one of my BEST Christmas Memories...that and a welcomed TANGERINE!!

Thanks for another great memory, Sharon. Jo

Edited to add that My grandmother had 2 iron skillets she called "griddle pans"...she cut the layers to fit this skillet and baked them on those...they were about 10" across...they were also used to make pancakes...nice big round ones. J

This message was edited Oct 27, 2008 7:18 AM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5722035

Now you have brought back a memory for me. My grandmother had several iron skillets too, and always at least 2 of the same size, that she used for baking stack cakes and gingerbread. She too called them griddle pans. After she passed away, I kept one of them and used it for cornbread for many years, till finally it seemed to become thinner. Maybe it was my imagination, but it had been her mother's before her, and was well over 100 years old. I still have it, stored away, but I don't use it now, I bought another one for myself. I swear, nothing tastes quite as good in my iron skillet as it did in hers!
Thanks, Jo.
Sharon
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5722460

Did you make cornbread fritters in one? The sides on my Grandmothers griddle pans were only a little ridge around the edges. Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5722873

Yep, I did, also potato fritters. Still do, on my own griddle.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5723021

Can I come stay awhile with you? My DD invited me over for one of my very favorites last night...fried green MATERS!! Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5723065

Another thing to cook on the griddle.
Come right on, Jo...we would eat our way through the winter, though. I starve myself to death every time I write one of these articles. I think November will have to be my gingerbread month, though. Then the stack cake, then maybe shucky beans and cornbread...
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5724843

I wish you were here to help me out this Wed. night...My Church is having a Country Ham Dinner...140 tickets sold...and I am in charge of making cornbread for that 140...I have solicited some help though. Jo
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #5724895

Good grief, Jo...what a commitment. If you put sugar in your cornbread, though, I will disown you.

Wish I were there to help you, too...we would have a ton of fun. i only have two 8 inch iron skillets, though, so I wouldn't be much help. I make myself a batch about twice a week, to go with the green beans I no longer have in my freezer, since hurricane Ike wiped me out. 84 hours without electricity will do that. I have been buying cans of shelly beans and stocking up on them, since it is too late to find fresh ones that I can freeze again.
Well, now that you have made me hungry here in the middle of the night, I might have to bake another batch of cornbread...
Happy baking, Jo!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5725449

ARRRRRGGG...no sugar!! That makes them MUFFINS. Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Apple Butter, Stack Cakes, and Weddings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
dried apples debi_k 8 Oct 27, 2008 2:17 AM
Stack cake memories Hemophobic 11 Oct 27, 2008 6:13 PM
Thanks! wind 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:13 PM
great article as always Dutchlady1 1 Oct 26, 2008 2:17 PM
Apple Butter greenbrain 3 Oct 27, 2008 4:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America