Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

October 27, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5722803

Is it true that you can not use cedar shavings or sawdust for bedding for chickens?I use pine but I have a cedar mill down the road from me and I could get them for free.If you can`t use cedar tell my why. Thanks green
Catscan
Lodi
United States

October 27, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5722912

It is pretty well established that cedar shavings can be toxic to birds and small mammals. It is apparently the volitile gases they emit (probably the same ones that discourage fleas) that can be dangerous.
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5723264

yes cedar and auromatic woods r toxic to chickens due to a chemical given off by amonia from pee mixed with them. small particals like saw dust cause respitory infections.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

October 27, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5723331

Thanks for the info
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5723660

But i been useing cedar chips for years under my straw in my chicken nest and hadn't had a problem and i also use ceder shavings in my dove and pigeon nest and it has always kept the mites down.

I don't use bedding for my chickens so i don't know about that and i don't use cedar or pine chips for my bitty's brooder had one get impacted from eating it and died i use paper towels.

jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

October 28, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5724156

Limited cedar, mixed with other shavings is ok as long as it is well ventelated. I buy the pine shavings for horse stalls. It's really cheap and smells sooo good.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5724388

It's only a small amount under the straw it really helps with the mite's when they are setting.
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5724551

I've heard of people using either for their chickens. The only reason we choose to use pine was from the limited negative things we read about it and also because it would not work for composting back into our gardens as well.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

October 28, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5725966

When I can get it reasonably, I use about 1/4 cedar to 3/4 pine. I've never had mites. One of the fawns came in with ticks and fleas last year and I didn't want to stress it with chemicals. I bedded it down in a playpen with cedar for a few days. The ticks and fleas were gone.

A few cedar boughs from the trees work well too. I remember an old Native American woman who would sprinkle cedar leaves under the sheets to keep out bed bugs. She remembered sleeping on beds made of cedar in the dirt floor cabin where she was raised. I loved spending the night in that bed with the cedar scented sheets.
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5726359

The Serama handbook says that BOTH cedar and pine should be avoiced in the BROODER, because as Silkie says "they emit volatile gasses that may be harmful. Aspen or other non-aromatic hardwoods are preferred."

I use it in my Seramas nesting box to cushion the eggs...but they are outside in the fresh air. I love the smell of cedar and would be so happy if ALL my wood items that the chickens use was made of cedar!

~music
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5726376

When my hens set the bittys always have that fresh smell of cedar and yes there is plenty of ventelation where my nest are.
musicnotes
Dunnellon, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5726781

Makes the bittys smell good, too :)
Catscan
Lodi
United States

October 28, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5726819

I wonder if "cedar" shaving are truely from cedar (genus Cedrus) or if they are largely from the native American "cedars" which aren't really cedars at all? We have true cedars here in CA but they are all planted in gardens.

The name "cedar" has been widely applied to many other trees with scented wood, including the genera Calocedrus ("incense-cedars"), Chamaecyparis and Thuja ("whitecedar", "Western Redcedar"), Cryptomeria (Japanese cedar"), and Juniperus ("Eastern Redcedar", "Mountain-cedar") in the family Cupressaceae; Cedrela ("Spanish-cedar") and Toona ("Australian Redcedar") in the family Meliaceae; and Tamarix ("Saltcedar") in the family Tamaricaceae.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5726827

Cat i got mine from a man who makes cedar furniture and i have seen the trees he use's so mine is the real deal.
Now i have bought the kind walmart has and it's not 100% cedar it has pine in it too and as far as being real i don't know?
InnBetween
Newton, AL

October 28, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5726974

I use cedar or pine, which ever are available. I like the cedar better. Never any problems with it. I say go for the cedar if you can get them cheap!
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5727988

I use just a bit of cedar in my dog house's along with alot of hay it seems to keep the fleas at bay.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America