Photo by Melody

Weather: October Daily Weather IV, Trick or Treat?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 113, Views: 947
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5724437

Howdy everybody
I can't believe we are over 200 post on the October III thread.
So for the first time ever here's the 4th thread for a month.
Here in Jax we are dancing with threats of cold weather.
55.2 F / 12.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Steph how was that game?
Marylyn did the rabbit die?
Joey that DNR is?
Marsue love that rose.
Sally I have 2 Hibiscus similar to Adina's if you want me to try and root them for you.
Sharon all of you are in my prayers.
Kelli and Ric enjoying it all.
Claire isn't it beautiful this time of year.
Ya'll come by with your pictures and weather and oh well just about anything.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2008
5:57 AM

Post #5724862

12 F / -11 C
Clear/Dark
Sidney; Thanks for the new thread~it's great to be part of the busy group here. Nice seeing that you and Marylyn met; bet that was just great.
Music2Keep~fingers crossed:) so much snow already and winter's barely begun. Hope JW will love it.
E_B~the moose seem to have a huge loop of the neighborhood and we're part of that. They love the willow, birch and other shrubs.
bp~what do you do with the apple juice? Jelly? Sounds great having it.
kelli~hope all's well. Time for a hike complete w/wildlife; a good day for all.
rann~hopefully things are turning around and time will have it all sorted out.
MySharona~I'd loved to have copied/pasted your comments; wonderful job. End of the day and I'm so far behind. My sister and I have been having a wonderful visit.
My newly married grandson and his bride, leave tomorrow for their honeymoon over in Ireland.
Have a great day se_eds and ric.
hi marsue, kwanjin, Deb and Stephanie.
Marylyn~I look forward to the photos, too.
10pm and will check in tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
10:12 AM

Post #5724973

Good Morning!
E_B Great pictures! I dont think the pictures are dull at all.
Sally Id say Yum too LOL! Ill have to give herring a try. I dont know if Ive ever seen it sold herehmmm
Ric Your project is looking good!
Joey Fingers are crossed! Good Luck :) Thats a beautiful path. I know you enjoy walking it everyday.
Sidney I like all the coleus lined!
Kiska- I know you GS and wife will love Ireland. It is so beautiful there. Nice picture! Can you smell the pine through the snow?

45.5 F / 7.5 C
Clear
Windchill: 44 F / 7 C
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Today
Sunny...breezy...cooler. High 60. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to near 30 mph.

Definatly the coolest day this season and I am loving it! I know I'm going to here "It's so COLD" all day at work. I'll be able to start my Fall walks at lunch :)

Gaillardias are blooming. Someone (Callie?) sat on the other half and broke them.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
10:38 AM

Post #5724997

Good morning!

It's another freezing cold day here today. Partly cloudy, light breeze and frost, around 23F.

Sidney - that bed of coleus is stunning :-)

Sharon - very pretty Gaillardia and brug :-) How's Gary doing?

Joey - nice to see you back! Good luck on the job application! That looks like a very nice trail for a walk :-)

EB - beautiful photos of the mill and covered bridge. Nothing dull about them ;-)

The British media seem to be picking up on the fact that the British ministers' over-reaction might not have been justified ... we couldn't be happier about that! :-) LOL Still waiting for that appology ...

Well, hope all of you have a great day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:06 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5725084

http://www.indefence.is/News/News/~/NewsId/10

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:07 PM
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5725238

Good brrrr-cold morning! We woke to almost freezing weather this morning, a full month before our average first freeze date! I still have some tiny plants to get in the ground, but they might just have to spend the winter in my enclosed sunroom.

The Cowboys WON!! Woohoo! What a relief. Now maybe the sports guys on the radios, TV, and newspaper will leave those guys alone and talk about something else for the week. (Yeah, right! LOL)

Fair

34F
(3C)
Humidity: 62 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.56" (1034.9 mb)
Dewpoint: 26F (-3C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.
Today: Sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Tonight: Clear, with a low around 43. South southeast wind around 5 mph.

Here's an American Beauty Berry from a local display garden/nursery.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5725651

7F
highs to upper teens and low 20's with wind 10-15mph.
MySharona~sounds as if you're ready for cooler weather. Gusting to 30 is pretty breezy.
I think your guess could be right~sorry, Callie, you get the blame:))
No noticable fragrance to the spruce.
stephanietx~that American Beauty Berry is gorgeous. A month early for the first frost; best leave those babies in and not put them out in the cold:))
rann~sounds like winter for sure; cold, and I know it's dark longer, too. Not good time to try to keep one's spirits up, but we're pulling for you/country.
The momma moose tried to get under the protective fencing, made for that purpose, in order to reach the delicious apple branches.
I was standing indoors, just above, in the sunroom for the pic.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5725701

I can't comment on everything. Suffice to say that I enjoy each and every post. Makes my day.

Someone asked when the ski resorts open here. They usually open around the middle/end of November. A few times they've opned in October but that's rare.

40F with 71 for later. Good for working in the gardens. I got a new electric cultivator. Gonna play with it today!
Feels like: 38F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 73%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:54 AM
Sunset: 6:27 PM
UV Index: 4 Low

JM fall colors.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5725853

Sidney: I was wondering if we would make it to the end of October without starting a new thread--looks like we've broken the record! LOL Lovely coleus, as usual!

Joey: hope you get that job you want. Pretty pic of the old wagon road. We used to own a farm that had the old wagon road to St. Louis from Little Rock that ran across it. Most of it was obliterated, of course, but there were a few places where you could still see the wagon "ruts". Makes you stop and think about what the pioneers had to experience to get from one place to another, doesn't it?

EB: gorgeous photos of the "old mill stream" and covered bridge--not flat at all!

Kiska: Our trees are just beginning to turn--certainly no snow on the evergreens down here! A honeymoon in Ireland for your DGS and his bride--how wonderful!
Momma moose is a hoot--she's really wanting those apples!

Sharon: maybe we can exchange gaillardia cuttings in the spring! My Oranges & Lemons for your "whatever its name is". :o))
Kelli: Your "Thanksgiving" cactus is confused--it must think that it is an "October" cactus--LOL

Rann: it would certainly be nice, to say the least, if Mr. Darling would apologize!

Stephanie: My MIL has a beauty berry in her yard--she didn't know what it was--now I can tell her. :o))

Celia: nice fall colors on the JM.

We had our first frost last night--earlier than usual. I hope the flowers will bounce back and keep blooming for a while--warmer weather due in a couple of days. We'll see.

Today Sunny
High 55F
Precip 20%
Wind: NNW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 48%
UV Index: 5 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:26 AM CT
Avg. High: 69F
Record High: 83F (2000)
Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 32F
Precip 10%
Wind: W 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 6:17 PM CT
Avg. Low: 44F
Record Low: 24F (1997)

The petunias were still blooming prettily a few days ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5725985

Rann Gary is ok. He has a bleomycin dose today and tomorrow he goes to Jacksonville for a pet scan (to check for masses). I love timelines and CYAs LOL!
Stephanie The American Beauty grows wild here. Its very pretty and the birds and squirrels love them :)
Kiska I enjoy the cooler temps because I can actually get outside and play. I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) on the head. Its very embarrassing especially in the summer months. Mama Moose followed her nose LOL!
Celia The JM is so pretty.
Marsue Sure, if Callie doesnt kill the plant LOL! Petunias are so hardy and pretty :)

55.2 F / 12.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Wind: 8.3 mph / 13 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 20.7 mph / 33 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16

It's so nice outside! Monarch came through yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5726663

Quoting:Marylyn did the rabbit die?

Sidney, what kind of rumor are you trying to start?? ROFLOL What rabbit where? :-)

Rann, I'm so glad the truth is finally coming out and Iceland is getting back their reputation and credibility ... I hate how the media skews things to make stories bigger, even if the story ends up being fiction by the time they're done. And don't get me started on politicians.. ugh... I'll be very glad when Wednesday comes and our election stuff is done for a while!

It's a gorgeous day here! It was a bit nippy this morning, but now is a beautifully sunny 65 with just a slight breeze. It's going to be a bit warmer by the end of the week.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (36 min ago)
Temperature 65 F 18 C
Dew Point 27 F -3 C
Humidity 23%
Pressure 30.53 in 1034 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 37.9F / 3.3C

Some lantana in a park in Savannah, Georgia...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5726717

46*, sunny a bit breezy and I hung clothes out.

Joey, fingers are crossed!! It's a beautiful path and you're lucky to have it right outside your door!

Thank you Sugar! I was popping in mighty slow. Wow, cool record! There's getting to be quite a bunch of us! Thanks Sugar. Right now I have a red hibiscus a friend gave me and I gave a pink one away. I don't have a lot of room, but I'll keep that in mind. What a beautiful row of coleus!

Seeds, congrats on the tulips. I am not a fall planter!!

Kiska, we drink all of it! DD loves it, we share with those who donate apples and I'm taking some to the Thanksgiving/Christmas party DH's siblings are having. Our second party this year!! The snow looks good at your place:o)

Sharon, you are barely warmer than us today. I'm always amazed with the southern weather :o) Beautiful colors on the gaillardias. What is their name? I've never seen any like them.

Rann, you do wonder how such a mess happens and you wonder why things can't be solved with a little tact and dignity. It sounds like much better news anyway!! Wow, that's quite a timeline story. I sure hope ithis will all be behind you soon!

Stephanie, beautyberry is gorgeous! Especially when you can see it in person.

Kiska, I love moose caught in the act :o)

Kwanjin, let us know how that cultivator works, maybe a picture of your work. Is it for tilling a garden? Lovely JM leaves.

Marsue, I think abut the hardships too. It's so neat to have something like that survive. I love a dirt road, but there are less and less of those around too. Lemons and oranges are a really pretty plant. My neighbor has them. I love those petunias! Vivid color!!

Sharon, I wish beauty bery grew wild here. We are just on the line. My neighbor is trying them a second time. I love the flatness of the monarch.

Marylyn, I wondered about that too. I even went back to your ''good to be home'' post to see if I missed reading something :o) I adore lantana!!!

Iris ''Immortality'' just before opening. It's the rebloom bloom.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 28, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5726867

Hi, everyone ! It's been so cold last night and there was hoar this morning. Lucky the sun came up and it all melted...ugh! They say it's going to warm up a little, up to 73 at noon. That is going to be great for me, when cleaning the windows !LOL I just finished the terraces, such a hard work...no more blue words now!LOL
Kelli, yes, the hibiscus are going to bloom indoors , if I don't trim them back...which I won't do this year. I'll do it in February. Those roses are gorgeous!
Sally, yes, the hibiscus is an indoor plant here, we keep them in pots...big ones! Who are those sweeties ?
Ric, the windows are great, good job!
Joey, I hope you get the job!
E_B, that's an interesting and huge mill! Keep the pics coming, none of your pics are dull !
Sharon, I'm full with envy about the Thanksgiving cactus budding...mine isn't yet! Usually it blooms on Christmas and has a few blooms.
Celia, I hope you had some rest. Monty's fur is gorgeous!
Marsue and Billy, your Belles are so beautiful!
Buck is learning to eat a carrot !
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5726912

Adina, that warm weather will feel good on your window washing hands :o) I wish I had room to keep big indoor plants, especially if they bloom. Those are my grandsons. We made cookies using frozen dough I bought from a school kid.The youngest was saying yum!! Buck is beautiful!! And he eats healthy! LOL!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5726934

Didn't make it up to even 60F today. Normal HIGH is 70!!
Forecast:
Clear. Patchy frost after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming west around 5 mph after midnight. Along the Lakeshore...West winds 15 to 20 mph. Wednesday: Patchy frost in the morning. Sunny. Highs around 60. West winds 10 to 15 mph. AND..
a FREEZE watch. Now comeon!! Normal LOW right now is 50!

Stephanie: That's a month before our 1st freeze date, too!!
Joey: Looks like a wonderful path to walk each day. Good luck with your job apps.
Kiska: What? No moose today? LOL. OOPS! I just spotted momma-moose trying to get to the
apple tree! :)
Rann: So sorry about the way they've mis-characterized and mistreated your countrymen
in the news. Politicians! ...And you know, the apology is never as loud as the accusation.

Celia: Pretty JM. Ours is still green.
E_B: IF only my photos were all as good as your "flat" ones. :)
Marsue: Gorgeous blue petunias!

Sharon: I planted my Beautyberry specifically to attract Painted Buntings. Hasn't worked
as far as I've been able to tell, but I've grown to love the plant!
Adina: Buck is adorable. Love his ears!

I can't believe I have to actually turn on the heat before Thanksgiving! (I know. Quit complaining. Could be worse. Sorry. Thin blooded southerner.)
;>
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5727054

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 28, 2008
96 F / 36 C
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 25 F / -4 C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1017 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

A couple more pictures from Orcutt Ranch the other day. The tower in the distance is what I call a wind machine. I don't know what the proper name is. When it is to get down to freezing on still nights, they would turn these on to stir up the air to keep the freezing air from settling around the crops. I don't know how old this one is, but any others I've seen on commercial farms are much smaller. Orcutt Ranch still has a few acres of citrus trees but I doubt that they still use the wind machines.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2008 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5727055

pergola with Three Graces statue

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5727057

more roses

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5727063

a wind machine - This one has a fence around it and the gate is blocked shut by live oak trees, so they couldn't get in to turn it on if they wanted to.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5727288

Very cool pics, Kelli.

I used the cultivator today. It was fun and easy to use. It's has 2 aggitating tine heads with 4 tines each on them. It goes about 4 inches into the soil and turns it up. I got the topsoil turned in on the center bed in the back. MUCH easier than with a shovel! LOL It did well in the clay. Thanks, Black and Decker.

Pretty...Allysum?...Deb.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5727730

COLD!!!!!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
4:43 AM

Post #5728498

Here are some of our photos from the trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/commerce.acct/JekyllIslandTourForDGFriends?authkey=mv1i2HDLQR0#

From http://www.uswx.com/us/wx/tx/77024/?stn=KSGR:
Quoting:...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM CDT WEDNESDAY...

.FREEZE WARNING HAS BEEN EXPANDED. HIGH PRESSURE SETTLING
OVERHEAD...CALM WINDS AND A COLD AIRMASS WILL RESULT IN EARLY
MORNING FREEZING TEMPERATURES ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS.

Good grief!! We don't usually get freeze warnings until December! Maybe! Sometimes we don't even get them until February!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
9:47 AM

Post #5728713

Marylyn Lantana is a personal favorite of mine.
Sally My flower was mis-labeled (imagine that). Its a Goldalia Orange Dahlia. Your Iris bud is beautiful.
Adina Buck is adorable, such a sweet face!
Deb LOL Ive had the heat on for 2 nights now. Thank you to Canada for this cold blast. I needed it.
Kelli Neat pics!
Celia There is that big boy:) Monty is precious.
Pepper LOL!
Marylyn Freeze warnings here are West of Jax. We still have some warm air on the water for a freeze warning for us, but it is chilly here this morning! Love the pictures! The house is pretty, the girls sleeping awwww so sweet.

35.8 F / 2.1 C (but we're close)
Clear
Windchill: 36 F / 2 C
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.20 in / 1022.6 hPa (Falling)

Today
Sunny. High 63. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Record high yesterday at 59* (after 100 years). Prissy playing catch with her bone.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5728820

Record cold last night/this morning too :)

Striking the "moose" pose! It's mine, mine, minemineminemine :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5729044

It didn't get down to freezing here either... It might have north and west of the city, though! We haven't turned our heat on, but I did pull out our comforters for the first time since early spring..

LOL at Prissy's captions.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (39 min ago)
Temperature 42 F 6 C
Dew Point 39 F 4 C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.42 in 1030.1 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 39.9F / 4.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 46.0F / 7.8C
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5729293

Good morning!

It's warmed up slightly above freezing today, about 36F, fairly calm and mostly cloudy.

I don't have time for comments so I'll just wave high to everyone! Great photos :-)

We have a Christmas tree :-) I decided to buy an artificial one. It was pretty expensive, so I guess we'll have to go "artificial" for the next 4 years ;-) lol At least that's one less thing to worry about. I went out and bought a few Christmas presents, I'm trying to buy as many as I can before new shipments arrive at higher prices. Everything will double in price most likely. Inflation is now 15% and rising. Feels good to have that accomplished :-)

Have a great day eveyone!

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5729628

Good Mornin'! :D We are in the upper 30's at the moment, but no frost or anything. Places in Greenbrier Co. (next door) got 5" of snow & all we saw were flakes floating around. Princeton & Bluefield got a little over an inch, but it had melted off by noon. It was just more cold than anything. I tried eating lunch outside, but made it short & sweet, because the wind had a 'bite' to it. When I went back inside...my glasses did an immediate fog up.
At Dublin...
Clear: 39F
Feels like: 30F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 18 mph W
Sunrise: 7:45 AM
Sunset: 6:27 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Thanks for the 'well-wishes', everybody!
Sydney, DNR = Department of Natural Resources. It's a state job that pays $30,000, but after 2 years I can go to the Wildlife Manager's job that pays nearly $40,000. The state has excellent benefits, etc. So yes, this is the job of my dreams... :D I would get to 'mess' w/ Fish, & all other forms of wildlife.
Sharon, Prissy looks as if she's having lots of fun! Jack finds REAL bones. :) LOL! on the 'moose' pose! :D I found one large bone in my front flower bed 2 weeks ago. The big cat leaves him lots to play with...
Marylyn, Glad it didn't freeze for ya! Looks as if you all had a Great time! :D I think that we may get winter a little early here, too. :) What does the large 'cast iron' sign say in one of you pics? And they're all great!, btw! :D
Kelli, That wind machine looks very ingenious! Orcutt Ranch looks very interesting! ;D
Celia, Love the pic of Monty! :D
Deb! I can't believe that you have gotten so 'chilly' down there already! I do believe that we may have an unusually cold winter, by the way things are starting out, but we may be fooled all together. Everybody's weather has been so fickle the last few years that I would believe Anything!
Adina! Buck is such a cutey! :D How did you get him to eat a carrot? I have known a dog or 2 that likes apples, but a carrot? A very healthy eater you have there! :D
Rann, I'm glad that things are getting straightened out up there. I hope they get back to normal very soon...so you will have more peace of mind. :) And I'm glad that you found a Christmas tree! :D I love the real ones, too, but in the long run the fake one is the least expensive. Love the snow! :D
Marsue, This little road doesn't have any ruts left, that I'm aware of, but it's really neat. It goes to an old mill race...just below the house. Actually, the old mill was made into a house. Pretty neat. Not too much has happened to this little area in 200 years...well I guess you could say that there has been many changes, but you can still see traces of the old things. :D
E_B, Love the covered bridge & the old mill. The sites are so familiar to here, that it's almost scary! :D Gorgeous! Pics! :D
Kiska, Your moose is at it again! :D They love that little tree don't they? Have you heard from the family in Seattle? Are they still enjoying things there? And are you going to Hawaii before Thanksgiving or after? I know that you will have immense fun! :D
Sally! You still have Iris blooming!? Mine have all gone into hibernation. :D Thanks, it's my favorite place to walk. I makes you wonder how many & how often your ancestors had walked in the same place.
Steph! Gorgeous! bush! I love the color of the berries. :) Those are very unfamiliar to me here. It's definitely not a native.

Trivia for the day (week)...
Which of the following was not a TV weathercaster at some point in their career?
a) Bill Murray
b) Jane Pauley
c) David Letterman
d) Pat Sajak

Some more of my 'walking path'...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5729728

I'm meeting with my niece this morning so I don't have much time. Lovely pics, all. We've been having frost every morning for the past week. I't very pretty but it's affecting the plants.

42F with 72 for a high.
Feels like: 39F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 78%
Wind: 5 mph NNE
Sunrise: 7:55 AM
Sunset: 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5730038

Sunny and suppposedly 62 degrees outside. I think my thing is broke. It can't be that warm already.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5730103

I'm guessing D, Joey. Did you mean this park sign? http://picasaweb.google.com/commerce.acct/JekyllIslandTourForDGFriends?authkey=mv1i2HDLQR0#5262423675126233234

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5730224

Marylyn, Yes..that's the one. I tried to enlarge it, but I could only see the top 1/4 of it.

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5730516

BP: I meant to tell you that your grandsons are adorable. I'd be saying "yum", too, with all those homemade cookies around!
Sharon: lucky you to have a Monarch visit your flowers! Prissy looks as as if she is having a good time. :o))
Adina: I never had a dog that would eat carrots.
Deb: pretty white flower--whatever it is.
Kelli: more good pics of Orcutt Ranch.
Celia: Monty is looking as regal as ever. I fully expect to see a crown on his head one of these days! LOL Is that a money plant in your last photo?
Marylyn: I think a major portion of the south from Texas to Florida had a freeze warning last night. I know we did. Wonderful photos of your family vacation and what a lovely photo of the 4 of you looking very happy! :o))
Rann: so glad you were able to get a Christmas tree and get some of your shopping done before the prices go up.
Joey: I'll just guess Jane Pauley for the trivia--I really have no idea. Your walking path is lovely!
Pepper: we are in the mid-60's today, too. Much better than yesterday!

We are supposed to be in the lower to mid-70's for the rest of the week and no freeze warnings, thank goodness!
Today: High: 65F
Sunrise: 7:27 AM CT
Avg. High: 69F
Record High: 84F (1971)
Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 40F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 75%
Sunset: 6:16 PM CT
Avg. Low: 43F
Record Low: 25F (1997)

On the way over to my DGS's school this morning to read with the children, I spotted this Bradford Pear with a "split personality". Not only is it split down the middle as are most older Bradford Pear trees, but on one side the leaves are still green and on the other side the leaves have turned to a dark burgundy color.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5730526

Joey, your walking trail looks like an interesting place.

Maybe it will stay below 90F today. I've noticed that 90+ at this time of year does not feel as hot as 90+ in the summer. Even in the house, we've been letting the temp get to 79F before we turn on the air conditioner and usually by 77F we're dying. There's more to temperature than just the temperature.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on October 29, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 31 F / -1 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

The reasons most of you have been getting frost and I've not been getting rain are the same. The jet stream has a kink in it. Anyone know of a good atmospheric chiropractor?

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5730527

Joey: I guess "A", Bill Murray,

It didn't freeze here, although we did have some "patchy" frost, but very light. Forecast for tonight is the same. This is so far ahead of normal.

Rann: You can get candles and diffusers that smell like real fir trees, if that will help the artificial one seem more like the real thing!

Marylyn: Off to look at your pictures, now.

Deb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5730730

B...Jane Pauley. I'm guessing.

Cool pear tree!

Yes, Mau, I have money on my money plant. Do you want some seeds? I have tons and they're reseeding in the lawn. lol

Isis is mad after her bath.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5730997

Rann Weve had a fake tree for 2 years and no one ever realizes it! They look at it and comment on how pretty it is LOL! I spray a very light pine scent on it once its up. I always had a real tree before this tree. Im going with Bill Murray. Beautiful path. Reminds me of the one at Beaver State Park that still had ruts.
Celia- Hope you had fun with your niece! I want some money from that money tree LOL!
Marsue That is a very cool picture of the Bradford Pear.
Kelli Im personally thanking Canada for our cold blast, although I wish I could help with your heat wave.
Celia - Isis does look upset - I'd run fast in the opposite direction LOL!

60.4 F / 15.8 C
Clear
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h / 2.4 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)

Tonight
Clear. Low 40. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Patchy frost inland, but not here tonight. Isaboo practicing her Halloween Glare. Grrrrr get that sphagnum moss off me grrrrr

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5731042

It didn't stay below 90F. (Tomorrow they're calling for a high of 79. We'll see.)

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 29, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.93 in / 1014 hPa (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

Some of my out-of-control rose bushes. I don't get around to trimming every year and have been bad about dead-heading, so most of my bushes are taller than I am. The tallest ones have got to be around 8 feet.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5731210

Kelli those rose buches look like mine did before I trimmed them. LOL I haven't touched them in 4 years.

Boo is so cute! Cat moss. Huh. Who would have thought there was such a thing?

Sharon, you can have some. I'll d-mail you.

It's almost Halloween!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5731211

Kelli those rose buches look like mine did before I trimmed them. LOL I haven't touched them in 4 years.

Boo is so cute! Cat moss. Huh. Who would have thought there was such a thing? ☺

Sharon, you can have some. I'll d-mail you.

It's almost Halloween!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5731359

Celia! LOL! "Cat Moss"! :D You've still got corn? And the tassels look pink! Neat-O. How do you give a cat a bath? But then I've only had the 'outside' kind.
Kelli, Those are some hefty Rose bushes! Wow! Hope that things cool down for you soon. LOL "atmospheric chiropractor"!!! :D
Sharon, your Isaboo sure is pretty! She looks likes she's coming up the chair after you for putting the moss on her! LOL Thanks...Are you talking about Beaver State Park in WV? If so, it's not too far from my house!
Marsue, thanks, Love the Pear tree! I've never seen one do that! When the big cat is out Jack will at least go on the 'path'. She must not venture down that far.

One more...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5731403

Here comes trouble...

Thumbnail by Kelli

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5731538

Ooooo! Kelli! Is he after your Koi?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5731573

He's after the goldfish, but the pond is covered with netting and line.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5731585

Kelli I'd be saying here comes lunch! LOL!

Freeze maybe tomorrow morning... for the 5th time MAYBE they'll be right this time.
I know Letterman was a Weatherman in Indy... so he's out...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #5732360

Not corn but Giant Reed Grass. This is a pic of the stuff we took out earlier. It had Halloweeny feel to it. I thought it was cool. No, it wasn't pink. I tweeked it with Picasa.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
9:17 AM

Post #5732475

Marylyn - GREAT photos from your trip :-) Looks like you guys had a wonderful vacation :-)

Deb - yeah I'll have to look into that, what are diffusers? I'm hoping there will be some evergreen branches available for Christmas to get at least some real scent in the house ... I have nothing big enough in my garden to clip for decorations.

Joey - that path looks so wonderful :-) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get your dream job :-) What is the "Big Cat" a puma???

marsue - that split personality pear tree is so neat :-)

Kelli - great photos from the Orcutt Ranch :-) They have a stunning rose garden there :-) Rose bushes out of control - what a thought - if I left mine alone they'd disappear ;-) lol Yours are certainly huge! Hope things cool down for you soon.

Celia -Isis certainly looks very angry! lol

Unfortunately things won't be going back to normal any time soon here, if ever. "Normal" doesn't exist anymore. Kiska's so right, that with the cold and darkness setting in on top of all these catastrophies it's going to be a horribly depressing winter.
It's taking an incredible amount of energy to try and keep my spirits up.

Oh here's the weather. Clear skies, fairly calm and 30F. Not quite light outside at 8:45 am. Sunrise is at 9:06 and sunset at 5:16 pm.

Hope you all have a great day ahead!

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5732519

Kelli Your rose tree is pretty : )
Joey This park is in PA, who knew there are 2 Beaver State Parks LOL! Its a beautiful area. I saw a Bobcat run across the road by the airport. He was beautiful, just a little lopey trot across the street.
Kelli Ive never had a heron that close, its gorgeous!
Celia Very cool grass!
Rann 75% inflation? Thats crazy. Oh, I really hope things settle down soon for you. I haven't read the latest article, but will get to it later this morning. Here is a link to diffusers. I use the Woodwick brand, but get them at a discount from my friends store. Fireside is my favorite scent. I keep one at work and a small one in the boys rooms. A large one will scent 3 rooms in my house. I usually use a Lampe Berger in the house. You can get differnt brands of diffusers that aren't expensive. Just remember if you get one that you have to flip the reeds once in a while.
http://www.bansheecandles.com/servlet/the-WoodWick-Reed-Diffusers/Categories

38.8 F / 3.8 C
Clear
Windchill: 39 F / 4 C
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)

Today
Areas of inland frost in the morning. Mostly sunny. High 67. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Amazingly I still have some Blue Days and Dianthus!

Edited to add: Another record low this morning

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 9:24 AM

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5732813

Good morning!

I'm so sorry the news is so dismal, Rann. :-( I can't even imagine how stressful it must be for you and your entire country.

It has warmed up here, Sharon, so hopefully it will there soon, too. Boo is definitely not looking happy about that costume. LOL

Joey, I really want to go for a long walk on your path! It's gorgeous and inviting... :-)

Kelli, that heron is beautiful! I'm glad you have the lunch counter closed off. LOL

Marilyn, my family is talking about meeting in Arkansas next year... It's a one day drive from nearly everywhere we would be coming from (Wisconsin/Ohio/Texas) and we know it's beautiful! Any suggestions on areas?

I bought stuff to make a bunny costume for the little bunny for tomorrow. I've been thinking about bunny ears all week... What shape are they, which direction do they point, how tall in proportion to the head, how do I keep them from flopping... Today I need to actually make them. Eek. LOL If it turns out well, I'll post photos. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (48 min ago)
Temperature 51 F 11 C
Dew Point 48 F 9 C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.35 in 1027.9 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 48.9F / 9.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 55.9F / 13.3C

Today Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5733125

Kelli: those are some huge rose bushes! With your warmer weather, what time of year do the "experts" recommend that you prune roses?

Celia: you've heard the old saying "Mad as a wet hen"? Well, you can change it to "mad as a wet cat"! LOL and how do you give a cat a bath? That's some neat looking reed grass.
Sharon: pretty purple flowers. If that is "Blue Days" it is mis-named--should be "Purple Days" :o))

Marylyn: you are correct--Arkansas is a beautiful state with lots of rolling hills and even some mountain ranges--the Ozarks, the Ouachita Mountains and the Boston Mountains. Our mountains are nothing like the Rockies, however, as our highest point is still less than 3,000 ft. above sea level. The east and southeast part of the state consists mostly of delta farmlands (and a swamp or two) but even the "flatlands" have their own appeal especially to the farmers--I am sure to them it looks like "money"! :o)). Where you decide to vacation will depend on what your family members like to do. Click on this link and you can get a free vacation planning kit:
http://www.arkansas.com/

Rann: are you able to get the Aromatique products over there? The Aromatique headquarters is right here in Arkansas. The company was started by a couple of women who started making potpourri in their homes and now it is an internationally known company. Aromatique has a potpourri called "The Smell of Christmas". It is wonderful! I received some as a gift last Christmas and it still smells like Christmas!
http://www.aromatique.com/

Today Sunny
High 72F :o))
Precip 10%
Wind: S 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
UV Index: 5 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:28 AM CT
Avg. High: 68F
Record High: 87F (1971)
Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 45F
Precip 10%
Wind: S 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 77%
Sunset: 6:15 PM CT
Avg. Low: 43F
Record Low: 28F (1980)

After our frosts on Monday and Tuesday nights, I still had some purple coneflowers and the Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia that were still blooming yesterday. The butterflies and bees were all over the few remaining flowers. I had a "bevy" of skippers, several bumblebees, two American Painted Lady BF's and two different types of sulphurs feeding on the flowers.
Here one of the sulphurs and a bumblebee share a flower.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5733133

Here are two skippers feeding on the same blossom

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 9:48 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5733141

and here are the two American Painted Lady bf's

edited to add: the Coconut Lime Coneflower (in the background) didn't survive the frost but the purple coneflower did--go figure!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 9:49 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5733151

Rann, thinking of you every day. Things do get better even when you think they won't. I'm very glad you have a tree. We've had an artificial one for years and it makes things easy to set things up for the Holidays.

Marylyn, that bunny suit sounds very cute. Small wires in the ears should hold them upright.

Sharon, I'm surprised Callie hasn't killed that poor flower off yet! LOL

45F with 71 for later. I've collected some seeds for winter sowing. First time, we'll see how well I did.
Feels like: 40F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 28
Humidity: 52%
Wind: 8 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:56 AM
Sunset: 6:25 PM

Flicker from Saturday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5733230

59n sunny and breezy.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 30, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5733287

19 dark w/starry sky.
Partly cloudy later today.
Highs in the 20s. Light winds
Sorry for lack of personal comments; I really look forward to my first cup of coffee and then, meeting DG friends here to get the day underway.
My sister leaves tomorrow; been a wonderful visit.
Yesterday's drive to Hatcher Pass/Little Susitna River.
My sister, SacValley.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5733393

Mau, we crossed.

Bathing a dirty cat...

READ ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING

1. Acquire one (1) dirty cat.
2. Acquire two (2) humans.
3. Collect towels (placing one on floor and one on counter), washcloth, pet shampoo and plastic cup. (for rinsing)
4. Fill bathtub with warm water to about 2-6 inches deep, depending on size of cat.
5. Search for dirty cat. This may be difficult, especially if cat knows the sound of the tub filling and knows what is coming next. Under the bed is usually a good place to look. In the middle. Where you can't reach them, even with one human on each side trying to get said cat out.
6. Once you have cat firmly in hand, proceed to bathroom. If this is an experienced cat, they will try raking back claws down your arm, so, please, use caution with this step. Holding the back legs in one hand will help. When the bathroom is reached, make sure youre close bathroom door to prevent escape of cat.
7. Place cat in tub.
8. Grab cat and replace in tub.
9. Clear water from noses and eyes of both humans and place cat third time in tub.
10. Have one (1) human hold cat while the other (2) does the actual washing.
11. Place small dose of pet shampoo on washcloth and rub into fur. Make sure you reach all areas, top and bottom, avoiding the cats face.
12. Repeat above proceedure if cat is especially dirty.
13. Have human (1) hold cat in water alone while washing human (2) rinses bites and scatches on arms and hands.
14. Human (2) should stop crying and return to tub.
15. Rinse cat with plastic cup.
16. Once completely rinsed, remove cat from tub and place cat on floor towel, wrapping second around cat.
17. Drain tub.
18. While washing human (2) holds cat, first human (1) should rinse wounds from bites and scratches in bathroom sink.
19. Dry cat.
20. Once cat is towel dry, open bathroom door and release cat.
21. Heave sigh of relief.
22. Clean tub making sure to remove cat hair from drain.
23. A third towel may now be acquired for drying bathroom making sure to get wall, mirrors, ceiling, windows, etc. Lighting fixtures may have been affected, so, check these, as well.
24. Tend to wounds of both humans. Extra large bandages should be available but, if not, have one (1) human run to store and acquire more. NOTE: If bleeding is substantial or cannot be stopped, medical help may be required. Have numbers for Dr. available for emergency purposes.
25. If neccessary, call 911.
26. Once all wounds have been tended to, and ambulance and paramedics have left, field calls from neighbors about why they were there.
27. Have one (1) or both (1 and 2) get beverages of choice.
28. Sit on couch and toast the other on a job finally finished.
29. Argue about whose wounds are worse and whose hurt more.
30. Kiss and make up.

NOTE: This proceedure may take up to 3 hours, so make sure calendar is clear before beginning. Make sure next of kin are aware proceedure is about to begin.

31. The final step is optional. Sell cat, vowing to never have another cat.

Monty tried not to laugh. He was just glad it wasn't his turn!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5733409

ROFLMBO!!!

Monty - You were laughing at Isis - I know that smug kitty grin anywhere! Remember I have 3 kitties :)

Monty is handsome!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5733414

LOL!! If I ever did that to my cats they would never forgive me and would run away from home.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #5733482

ROTFLOL!!! I'm glad all the cats I have ever had were, for the most part, outdoor cats!! Since my DH thinks cats belong in the barn, he would never agree to helping out in the procedure described above! LOLOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5733503

It's funny...after the "torture" we put those poor cats through, they still come back for kisses and belly rubs! LOL And not too long after, either. Usually an hour or so.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5733551

My cats are outdoor cats too and trust me they would never, ever forgive us for that torture. LOL. Although Curly does like to drink out of the facuet in the bathtub. He goes to the toliet, then the tub, then back to the toilet to get a drink. lol
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5733830

Celia that is so funny. I used to have a cat and we bathed her once in a while. She hated it of course but always forgave us. lol

It's 6 pm and Dyson Dark ... it's that time again ...

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5734372

ROFLOL, Rann!! I like the multiplication tables in Iceland!! LOL

It's 4:11 p.m. and not Dyson dark--quite sunny, in fact. Sunset due at 6:15p.m.--I want summer back!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 30, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5734374

Rann, I have to make a correction for the communism, as I have lived it : they took not only the cows, but also the milk ! LOL
I'm sorry I can't comment on everyone...love all your pics and comments ! I'm cleaning and cleaning, hopefully we'll finish this week. Today we put on the frames and cleaned part of the windows. It was warm and sunny an dit's getting warmer...75 tomorrow!!!
Here's a few pics I took . First, another pink hibiscus blooming today.
Sidney, it'd be great if you can root some hibiscus for Sally !
Everyone have a nice day!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 30, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5734384

Some of the frames downstairs.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5734397

Very nice, Adina. That tile floor certainly is shiny! :o))
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5734440

Rann, your Icelandic investors sound a lot like my impression of Wall Street.

Adina, your floor is so shiny. Does it ever get slippery?

DH said that it rained hard for a minute down where he was, about 40 miles from here.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 30, 2008
83 F / 28 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 24 mph / 39 km/h / 10.8 m/s
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)

Get out your rain dancing gear.

A more well defined frontal system is expected to bring an
increasing threat of rainfall to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara
counties on Saturday afternoon and night. This system is expected to
weaken as it moves south of Point Conception... with just a chance of
rain across Los Angeles and Ventura counties Saturday night or Sunday
morning.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5734601

Kelli - sure hope you'll get some of that rain!!

Adina - gorgeous hibiscus and yes, very shiny tiles! :-)

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5734613

The good news - Gary's pet scan came back clear of all masses. He has one more cycle on chemo then he is done. We won't know about maintenance chemo until after the last cycle. Does that make sense?

Marylyn How is the costume going?:-)
Marsue Love the coneflower and butterfly pics!
Celia I cant believe that plant is hanging on! She just parks her little hiney on the side and rubs and sniffs. I wonder if it is in the catnip family? The Flicker is pretty, nice spotty belly!
Kiska Is that Little Sustina? Im always amazed at the amount of snow you get.
Rann- Thats hysterical!
Adina Im cracking up! The hibiscus bloom is beautiful! You must clean all day long your house is spotless.
Kelli Doing the rain dance for you!

64.2 F / 17.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.42 in / 1030.0 hPa (Rising)

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 47. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Well, this morning WX said we broke another record, but this evening they are saying we tied a record. It was perfect weather for the hot flashes! LOL!

My friend, Judy who owns my favorite store Divine Finds and her baby LuluBelle!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5735194

Well, I had a very full day today. I got 10 more bags of topsoil and got them spread, so that's done. I picked up 5 small houseplants for an aquarium terrarium I'm putting together. I cleared the kitchen table and put my picture holder and few pictures on the wall behind it. I gathered a few more seeds for winter sowing. Grocery shopped and got a pumpkin for tomorrow. Dinner's cooking now and Darrell is at his mom's getting our ladder and making sure she's eating.

Rann, I love that! Covers just about everyone. ☺

Adina, such a pretty flower and I adore your sunroom!

Sharon, gary is such a sweet boy. I know he's tired of the whole thing but you tell him Utah is still in his corner. Callie must at least TRY to keep some your flower alive so she can continue to flop on it! LOL

It was very nice today. Not too hot.

Fly-by of Saltair on the Great Salt Lake. People went swimming and dancing there and was OVER the water. It was a gathering place built in 1893 but it burned in 1931. It was rebuilt but closed again when the waters receeded. It closed once more during WW2 and reopened after. It closed for good in 1958. Some people blame TV for this. Who wants to go "clear out there"? Attempts were made to keep it open but an arsonist burnt it to the ground in 1970. In 1981, it was rebuilt and opened for concerts. It is used on and off but hardly anyone remembers it's there or visits, if they do. The water over the last several years has receeded again and it's difficult to get inside.The Beach Boys bootleg album Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 19, has a 1960's picture on the cover. The movie Carnival of Souls was filmed there. Several other movies have use the building as a backdrop. It's really a lovely building. I will head out there one day soon and get some better pics.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5735233

High was in the 60s today and sunny all day. Now it's Dyson Dark.

Took this a couple weeks ago. A bridge at Powell Gardens at Dusk.

Thumbnail by pepper23

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #5735976

Celia - That's a lot of history for the building. I looks very pretty from the distance. Please take more pics!
Pepper - That's a great picture! You don't see many wooden bridges anymore.

61.2 F / 16.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 42 F / 6 C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5.1 km/h / 1.4 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.45 in / 1031.0 hPa (Rising)

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly cloudy. High 67. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Short Tail Skipper on Painted Lady Hibiscus

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2008
10:36 AM

Post #5736020

Good morning! Happy Halloween to those of you that celebrate it :-)

It's cloudy, breezy and around 40F, with rain in the forecast for this afternoon.

Sharon - that is such wonderful news about Gary! :-) So happy for you :-) Thanks about the info on the diffusers, never heard of those before. I haven't seen them around, but I'll keep my eyes open.

marsue - I'm not familiar with the Aromatique products, not sure if they're available here. Thanks for the pointer, I'll look out for those too ;-) I guess I'll need to check out stores that sell aroma products ;-) lol

Marylyn - how did the bunny costume turn out?? Yes it is a very stressful time and we're starting to feel the negative effects of all this stress. There are so many people loosing their jobs these days that we're just very grateful that DH still has a job.

We don't do Halloween here in Iceland, although some people are trying to get it established. The toy stores have started putting out costume around this time and there are Halloween parties around... I'll make caramel apples, but that's about it for our celebrations. The girls might put on costumes, just for the fun of it ...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5736250

Good morning!

Sharon, YAYYYY!!! I'm so happy about Gary's news!

Celia, I'm looking forward to more photos of that building. :-)

I love the bridge photo, too, pepper.

It's warming up to the low 80s today, which will be nice.
Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (58 min ago)
Temperature 57 F 14 C
Dew Point 54 F 12 C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.42 in 1030 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 57.0F / 13.9C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 62.1F / 16.7C

The bunny costume came out pretty well, all things considered (mostly those "things" are my lack of sewing skills. LOL) The white sweatpants are too big... I bought the next size on purpose so she could wear the costume longer. The big bunny has a kitty costume sorta like this from 2 years ago, and she still loves it. I failed to consider, though, that these new sweatpants have no elastic in the top, so I'm not sure how well they will stay up. Oops! I sent extra pants, so she can change later if they become a problem.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5736251

Here's the back.. The pink slippers next to her were supposed to be part of the costume, but she wouldn't put them on, silly bunny.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5736848

That could not be any cuter, Marylyn! LOL She's adorable.

Rann, as for Halloween in Iceland, I think it would be neat. This is a pagan holiday but it should be shared by the world. Like Christmas, it brings people together. ☺ Joking aside, I DO think it would be fun for the kids. What do your girls think of it?

Pepper, it's very pretty and tranquil looking.

Sharon, there's quite a history there at Saltair. Maybe I can talk Darrell into going this Saturday.

58F with 68 for this Halloween day. I have plants to get in the ground before it rains. If it rains. The big storm should be here Sunday.
Feels like: 58F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 27
Humidity: 30%
Wind: 14 mph ESE
Sunrise: 7:57 AM
Sunset: 6:23 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5738090

Rann - We are so happy about Gary. He is excited about being independent again. He is already making plans. He has Asperger Symdrone. I think this description is a little vague, but he does have some of the symptoms. http://autism.emedtv.com/autism-spectrum-disorders/autism-spectrum-disorders.html
Marylyn Love the bunny suit! Way too cute and so much better than I could have possibly put together on my own.
Celia- Tell Darrell I really need yall to head up to Saltair for info LOL! How is doing doing with the smoking?

63.5 F / 17 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5 km/hfrom the North
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.39 in / 1029.0 hPa (Steady)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Breezy at the coast this evening. A 20% chance of showers mainly after midnight. Lows 52. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph except 15 to 20 mph early this evening at the coast

Oh, I forgot to mention that it is GA/Fl weekend...oh yay. The revenue for the area is wonderful, but we have to put up with a lot of drunk partyers...yay... and traffic jams...yay...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Largest_Outdoor_Cocktail_Party

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recreation and Community Services/Special Events/FlaGa/default.htm

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 31, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5738149

Kelli, the floor isn't that slippery, only if it's wet, but we have rubber slippers anyway.
I'm done cleaning the upstairs and I'm beat so I'm off to bed.
This is the floor in the GH after applying a special chemical liquid for preventing spots on the granite...it looks too shinny!
Happy Halloween everyone!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5738159

Celia: Great job with the photo of the Reed Grass.
Rann: I feel so bad for you all. What can we do do cheer you up? :) Does Iceland
have any kind of "harvest" time festival or holiday?
Sharon! You still have Lisianthus! Lucky. ;-> Mine are "green-housed". That's great
news about Gary!
Marsue: Nice to still have flowers for the bees and butterflies! (I love
those Painted Ladies.)
Kiska: I bet your sister had a great time, judging from your photos.
Adina: SOunds exhausting! House looks great, though.
Marylyn: Your bunny is adorable!

We actually did have frost yesterday morning. We have a frost warning tonight, but nothing heavy. Just enough to wilt everything. :(
It's a lovely evening, but strangely we have very few trick-or-treaters. It's about 730PM and we've only had 5 little bunches of kids. That's very few for us. Not sure why. Guess we'll have plenty of leftover candy. Oh boy.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5738276

High was in the low 70s today. I took advantage of the perfect weather and hand washed my truck. It took an hour cause it was filthy-actually beyond filthy but it was worth it. Now it shines!! LOL

Happy Halloween everyone and have fun trick or treating if you go out!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5738386

High this afternoon: 19F
Tonight
Clear.
Lows 5 to 10 above. Variable wind 10 mph
Have a great weekend.

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5738656

Good Evening! (hehe) Yes, I went trick or treating w/ JW & his mommy. A nice evening to be out. We only went next door & to my aunts house, which is in walking distance. Many of my family live in this little corner of town. :) DH 'baby sat' w/ Jack. Poor fella. All the unusual noise makes him very nervous. Almost as much as the fire works on the 4th of July. Actually, nothing comes that close. Fireworks petrify him. Yes, he's really gun shy. But we had fun w/ JW. I used to dress up at my factory job, so I dressed up for him & it didn't go over too well. I had to take my wolf mask off! I figured that the original would have been more scary! LOL
We've had frost here (in the trees) for the past 2 mornings.
At Dublin...
Clear: 45F
Feels like: 45F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 57%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:47 AM
Sunset: 6:25 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

This is for you all! http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/ecards/view.pd?i=421860910&m=3556&source=msne992 Enjoy! :D JW dances to it. :)
Deb, Like the Tombstone pic! Very Eerie! ;) LOL We never get any 'spooks', because you can't see the house until Christmas when the outside lights are on. :)
Marylyn, Love the bunny outfit! or is it...bunny's outfit? :D You did a fine job! Hope they got lots of candy...so they can share w/ you & DH! ;) Come on up & go for a walk w/ me! ;)
Adina, Your floor looks great! I've never seen such a pretty floor in a greenhouse!
Kiska, Winter is certainly here, for you! Now those are some cold temps! I'm pretty positive that you & Sac Valley have had a great time. I don't know about you...but me & my sis do an awful lot of 'yackin'. DH just sits & laughs at us! LOL! And my brother isn't any better! :D How are the loved ones in Seattle doing?
Sharon, your Hibiscus! is Beautiful! And it's so Wonderful that Gary got a good report! Yeahhhhh!!!! :D :D Do you go to the game? Or sit & watch things as they 'unfold'?
Celia! LOL!!! I had to ask...how to give a cat a bath! :D I'm glad that I never had to do it!LOL! You would be an excellent teacher! You go into such descriptive detail! :D And I love that Sunrise!!
Kelli, Hope that you are getting some of that rain! From the looks of the weather map today...you did. And I hope that it was more than what you were expecting. ;D
Marsue! You still have Cone Flowers! Wow!
Pepper, What a gorgeous bridge. I love the reflection. :D
Rann, I hate that the stress level is so high there...then again they are rather bad here, too , especially the folks that have lost a lot of money in their retirement funds. I hope that everything gets straightened out sooner that folks are predicting. If you need anything please, let us know. OK? And yes, the Big Cat is a 'puma' or we call them Mountain Lions. Jack drags in parts of fresh kill quite often. He won't eat his 'kill' (ground hogs, squirrels), but he will eat what the cat kills. Now go figure out that crazy dog. :)

The answer to the trivia is...A
Despite his role in "Groundhog Day," Bill Murray has never been a television weathercaster.

Nite All! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5738765

Nope, no rain here. Just light cloud cover.

Forecast for Sunday...

Rainfall amounts south of Point Conception are generally expected
to be less than one quarter of an inch... with local amounts up to
around one third of an inch possible in the mountains.
Temperatures should fall on Sunday as well due to the colder
airmass behind the front.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5739203

Well, we DID get some rain. Just enough to wet everything, including my battery powered ghost! I had to run out and get it before it shorted.

Joey, yup! You asked!

Deb, I love that pic of the tombstones. Lots of atmosphere there.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5740215

Good morning. How was everyone's Halloween? We had...ehem...13 trick or treaters. ☺

59F with a high of 71 for today. I still haven't gotten those plants in the ground. I'll get to them today. Darrell is home to help me. Elderberry, bird's nest spruce and Harry Lauder's walking stick.
Feels like: 59F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 42
Humidity: 53%
Wind: 8 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:58 AM
Sunset: 6:22 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5740419

Well, we had a grand total of 4 trick-or-treaters! LOL Now I have a whole big bowl of tootsie roll pops which I'll have to hide from myself! Several of the churches in our area had "Harvest Festivals" in lieu of celebrating halloween, which keeps the kids off the streets and cuts down on the trick-or-treaters. It's a good thing, in my opinion, given the number of "crazies" loose in the world today.
Sharon: your friend Judy is very pretty and her little friend is very tiny! Such good news about Gary. Thanks for the link on autism--it was very informative. An educated and informed public is a more caring and understanding public, in my view. I hope the folks who attend the "World's Greatest Outdoor Cocktail Party" don't get too rowdy this week-end!
Marylyn: a darling costume for a precious bunny!! :o))
Celia: the history of Saltair was very interesting. Nice sunset (or sunrise) photo--silver rather than gold.
Kiska: I am sure your sister's visit was especially welcome since it came on the heels of your daughter's-and-family's move to Seattle. Hopefully, it made the transition to a quieter house a little easier for you and your DH.
Joey: cute card! You still have ferns this late in the season?
Deb: spooky picture--LOL! Yes, I still have flowers--both the coneflowers and the Gaillardia are still blooming. I forgot to mention the Knock-our Roses, too!
Adina: A beautiful greenhouse--we should all be that fortunate!
Pepper: I love photos of bridges refelected in water. So pretty!

Today Partly Cloudy
High 79F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 63%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:30 AM CT
Avg. High: 67F
Record High: 82F (1978)
Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 48F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 85%
Sunset: 6:13 PM CT
Avg. Low: 42F
Record Low: 18F (1993)

We are unseasonably warm but it feels good!

Here is photo of a tree in my neighbor's back yard. The smaller trees are turning color but the large oak trees are slower to change color.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5740538

We had no trick or treaters. I don't think trick or treating is the big thing that it was when I was a kid. My parents used to get 100 kids, including kids from other townships that held trick or treating on another day. (Trick or treat was usually on Halloween, but the townships has the right to choose another day, like have it on night that wasn't a school night. They also regulated the hours of trick or treat - 6 to 9 or something like that.)

We got about 0.1 inch of rain around 5:30AM and a brief shower around 10AM. From the looks of the radar map, it looks like we could have another shower before noon.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5740644

Yeah! Kelli! You got some rain! :D We have set times here for trick or treating. (just like in the 'oldendays' ;) All of our neighbors get all of the action. My aunt gets around 300+ ! If she gets less than that she gets really upset, because she doesn't know what to do w/ the candy! :D
Marsue, Yes, the ferns (Christmas) are wild & are w/ us throughout the year. :D They grow around the wild Holly.
Rann, Speaking of Holly ... did your seeds do anything for ya?
Celia! LOL! I showed DH your recipe for washing a dirty cat & he said...O..M...G! LOL!
This is the warmest it's been in a week or more!
The weather at Dublin...
Clear: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 5 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:48 AM
Sunset: 6:24 PM
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Today's trivia is...
Which of the following is a criteria for issuing a severe thunderstorm warning?
a) Pea-sized hail
b) Winds > 58 mph
c) Cloud-to-ground lightning
d) Heavy rain

Have a Great Day!
Joey
(I hope that I haven't already sent you this)

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5740753

Adina Your floors look mahhhhvelous!
Deb Thats a creepy picture of the cemetery! We didnt have any trick-or-treaters. I didnt expect any, but had a little candy on hand just n case.
Pepper LOL I hand wash my car. Im very picky about how its done and what type of soap is used, etc I cant help it I love my car :-)
Kiska - Great picture of you!
Joey Awwwww JW got scared? I dated a guy once that went as Beldar Conehead. The really young children freaked out. Love the card thats too funny! Ewwwwwwbad Jack bleeech LOL I know he cant help it. Just like Prissy cant help rolling around in dead fish on the beach. Pretty ferns.
Kelli Hoping you get more rain soon!
Celia- You better get busy with those plants! Jeff, Gary and Justin always become my pack mules. Thats a beautiful marker.
Marsue Our church has a festival too every year. I think thats the reason we dont get trick-or-treaters. And yes, it is a good thing. There are way too many weirdos out there that want to cause harm. The Maple is very pretty.
Kelli I remember going trick-or-treating when I was a kid. We would come back with bags and bags of candy. We lived a block from the Elementary school. We (inc our parents) knew everyone in a 10 block radius. There were nights that the whole neighborhood played flashlight tag and flashlight hide and go seek. We had soooo much fun.
Joey I cant imagine 300+, but that is probably what my parents got. We would come home with a full bag and head back out. Im sure Mom recycled all that candy LOL! Thats a beautiful picture and even if you have already posted it (I dont think you have) who cares?! The Trivia, well Im going with B. I think the hail has to be larger than pea sized, not positive on that though.

Im going to ask a favor to please pray for my friend Judy. She is beginning to wonder if she may have to close her store. I really hope not. The shop was a dream come true for her. Im glad Christmas is coming soon so that boost should help. Little Miss Lulu Belle is the most precious dog. Jeff has decided that (God forbid) he wants a mini Chihuahua when Prissy passes on. Then he felt bad for saying it because we dont anything to happen to our Princess.

Well, I bumped into some already drunk fans at the grocery store. It was 11am and there they were yelling Go Dawgs and singing Who let the Dawgs Out? Whoop whoop. It would have been cute and funny, but OMG but stay wherever you are staying. Dont venture out on the streets and possibly cause harm. I really dont mind partyers just keep safe.

Jeff and I aren't sports fans so we don't go to the games. If I were given a ticket I would go, but I'm not spending the money LOL!

Boo killed the moss...

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5740802

oops - forgot the weather!

65.5 F / 18 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 49 F / 9 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the NW
Wind Gust: 9.7 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft / 2286 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Low 58. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%

It's not going to make it to 60*.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 1, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5740953

Sharon, what a great news about Gary, thank God for that! Love your hibiscus too...I always wanted one like yours!
Marylyn, love your bunny and the costume looks great, don't be modest, you really are talented for sewing!
Joey, did little JW have a costume ?
Marsue, what a beautiful tree!
Deb, that was quite a freeze you had ...brrr!
Celia, great pics!
Kiska, you are looking great!
Rann, same here, many are celebrating Halloween with parties in clubs, but no treats. Our treats are on Christmas.
It's been exausting today, but I've done cleaning the windows downstairs. Not much to do, just the floors and to put up the curtains. Already have the one in our bedroom. It's been warm today too, but a few clouds. Finally the plumber came and put up the lights outside.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 1, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5740987

The GH today, with all the plants inside !LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #5741091

16 F / -9 C
Sunny.
Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s.
Light winds
Halloween; only gkids came; can't imagine 300, either..
My sister flew back to Calif yesterday; had a wonderful time; yes, lots of chatting and playing w/glass, too.
My family in the Seattle area is loving it there. Thanks to "Skype", we see and talk for free on the internet. A wonderful use of technology.
We made some "birdhouse bling" for the new feeder.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5741506

All right, some birdhouse bling!

So far we got 0.3 inches of rain. That's more than I expected. We even had some thunder, which we rarely get. Also the temperature is below 90F and the humidity is in double digits.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on November 01, 2008
66 F / 19 C
Overcast
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the North
Pressure: 30.11 in / 1019 hPa (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4300 ft / 1310 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5741513

Adina: How nice to have an indoor space like that for your tender plants!
Kiska: LOL. Love your birdhouse bling. :)
Sharon: We have Christmas ferns, too. Ours go a bit flat over winter, but bounce right back in spring.

Joey: Very pretty river pic! No idea on the trivia, so I'll guess "C" - lightning.

Had a lovely day today, high of 72. After tonight, we are back to "normal" temps, with overnight lows near 50, instead of the 30s and low 40s we had this past week.

Cosmos, growing by the highway.
Deb

PS/A total of 31 trick-or-treaters. Doorbell rang a grand total of 7 times. Not as many as usual, by a long shot.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5741515

Oops, Kelly, we crossed. Congrats on the rain! Every little bit counts. :)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5741542

BLING, is right! LOL I love it, Kiska! It's good you can see them. What's "Skype"?

Adina, it's been such a pleasure watching you and your house progress. It's lovely.

Well, I finally got the last of the plants in the ground. I picked up some bulbs and now I have THOSE to plant! LOL

Here's the bird's nest spruce.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5741568

Oh dear. I crossed with 2 others this time. Sorry girls! LOL

I love it when pretty flowers are planted along the sides of roads, on purpose or not.

Kelli, we going to get your rain tomorrow.

Here are the other two plants. The Walking Stick, which is a filbert tree, is in the front and the elderberry is behind it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5741573

Helps to add a pic, I'll assume...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5741591

And just for fun, this is the fragrant sumac from this morning.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5741598

what a cute little spruce! I'm going to have to look that one up. :)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5741637

It is cute. This is the real name. Picea abies, Nidiformis
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5741748

adinamita, what a gorgeous piece of real estate I can tell from its structure that you put a lot of time and planning into it. You certainly deserve to be able to relax and enjoy it for the next 50 years or so.

The weather was beautiful here again today, high 68 sunshine and light breezes.

kiska, love your 'birdhouse bling'.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5741757

http://www.skype.com/
It's a site for free calls using a computer and video camera. WMart has them for less than $50; it attachs easily to your computer. We have it on the laptop, and can then carry the computer/camera to show what's going on up here.
Glad you've got some rain, kelli
Adina~won't be long till you can really settle in for the winter; the projects will be nearly finished and you can relax till spring.
Deb~the cosmos are beautiful; glad it's going be warming up there.
kwanjin~love your pics, too. Lots of varieties to enjoy.
Thanks, too, for the nice birdhouse bling comments.
17 now; 5pm. Getting colder tonight.
Lows zero to 10 above
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5741762

sorry to have crossed, se_eds.
Thanks; your weather sounds ideal:))
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5741776

Sharon GREAT News!!!

Marylyn Great Costume!

We had 4 Treaters... but we always go around the corner to the big street and hang out w/ the neighbors... and pass out our candy there.
Perfect weather! and then we sat around a fire until about 10:30.
Today near 70 Sunny and Calm.
AND we finally got the room framed and sheathed!
Tomorrow we'll work on the roof details... maybe some trim too!

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5742338

Sounds great, ric. Look forward to update pics, too.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #5742530

Sharon, both of our girls are PDD-NOS... not quite the same as Asperger's, but there are a lot of similarities.

Joey, I'm guessing D for a warning... the other things would probably bring on a watch, though. (I'm usually wrong on these, so take my guess with a BIG grain of salt, everyone else! :-) )

Last night we went to the fall festival at our church, too. I always feel a little guilty doing that, because we do get a lot of trick-or-treaters here. There is an apartment complex across the big street from our subdivision and all of those kids come here. I'm sure there were plenty of other folks home to give them candy, though. The girls had a lot of fun at the festival, though, and didn't come home with TOO much candy. I remember bringing home loads of candy and emptying the bag before going out again, too. My mom would gather it all up and dole it out a bit at a time (after she got the bags away from us... we ate a lot before then, though!) I suspect there were probably years that we didn't eat it all before the next Halloween. :-)

Today we went back to Dewberry Farm, which was really fun - and I'm both totally exhausted and REALLY sore! LOL I'm glad we get an extra hour to sleep tonight! Charles and I spent a lot of time running up and down ramps and helping the bunnies on zip lines. They had a blast! We got some much needed exercise! I took 3 Advil when we got home!! LOL They took a bath, and fell asleep pretty quickly. I've been doing laundry for church clothes (oops... blush...), but the last load is in the dryer now, so I'm going to bed, too.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53pm CDT (29 min ago)
Temperature 63 F 17 C
Dew Point 57 F 14 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.27 in 1025.2 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

Both bunnies, as we were heading to church. I made the kitty costume for Joy a couple of years ago and it still fits.. She plays in it fairly frequently, which is always fun. :-) Next year she's probably going to need a new one. I hope she doesn't pick anything too difficult! I can handle sewing fake fur around the edges of a sweatsuit... I don't know about anything more complicated than that! LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5743542

We got our rain! Yea! The plants around here so needed it.

RIc, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Marylyn, your bunnies are very cute. The one on the left looks like my old bosses girl, Ellie.

57F with 63 for our high.
Feels like: 57F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 45
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 21 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:00 AM
Sunset: 5:21 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

Storm clouds building. Yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5743852

Adina: love the exterior lights! You certainly need every inch of that greenhouse space, don't you! LOL
Deb: pretty cosmos!
Celia: pretty sumac. I never heard of a Walking Stick plant--how unusual!
Kiska: I wonder if your birds know how lucky they are to have that kind of "bling" on their birdhouse? LOL Skype is great, isn't it? However, you don't have to have a camera on your computer--all you need is a microphone.
Marylyn: little bunny and big bunny are both precious!
Ric: glad you got the room framed. Looking forward to photos of the completed project!

Another beautiful autumn day!
Today Mostly Sunny
High 75F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 52%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:30 AM CT
Avg. High: 67F
Record High: 84F (2003)
Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 46F
Precip 0%
Wind: SSE 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 81%
Sunset: 5:13 PM CT
Avg. Low: 42F
Record Low: 28F (1991)

I saw two checkered skippers in my garden yesterday. It was a "First" for me.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5743976

Last night it got foggy again. At times it was so thick you couldn't see past the front of the vechicle. This morning there was remants but it has burned away now that the sun is out. It is 72* outside now and the leaves are coming down like crazy. Can't even see the yard anymore.

Birds nest in a Black Locust tree.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kiska

(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5744230

8*F~ clear and sunny. Highs to 20's.
Marylyn~the bunnies are so cute~great job w/costumes. My gd loved to wear her costume year round, too.
marsue~ I forgot; I "Need" a camera for Skype, but others may not:))
Saw them this morning, they were playing outdoors in summer clothing in the middle of winter:) Very pretty flowers and butterflies.
kwanjin~good for the rainy day. The storm clouds did well.
pepper~nice photo of the nest~foggy days/driving are just awful.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5745432

It's been a nice day and I think it was partially because of the rain. Very mellow rain, falling softly and making me relax. I spent the day with 2 of my DBs and we watched a couple of movies and ate pizza.

Weeping cherry changing colors.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5745440

Anyone want to start the November thread?

It stayed below 70F today.

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on November 02, 2008
65 F / 18 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016 hPa (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4500 ft / 1371 m
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5745587

Come one come all! New thread here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919526/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America