Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Migrating Bird

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 292, Views: 2,511
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #5724801

This bird has always bloomed around Xmas time,can this be the result of global warming???
Has never bloomed outside the greenhouse here.
Always a first time for everything!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

October 28, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5725521

Severe bird envy!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5726118

I guess I'm kind of lucky being in New Orleans. My BOP currently has 5 flowers & about 4 more on the way. This was planted in 2007 and has tripled in size since then. By next year, it should be constantly covered in flowers.

Thumbnail by jomoncon

plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5726161

I love my BOPs. When I had them in a pot they didn't bloom. Didn't know that you could plant them in ground. Did that. They bloomed. Had to leave some behind when I left Victoria, TX - too big for me to dig up - immediately bought some when we got back to Houston. It had a flower so I knew it would bloom again and soon. Planted it and it grew and bloomed gangbusters so divided it and it kept on blooming. Then we moved again 3 years after coming back to Houston. Had DS dig them and put them in big pot w/new dirt and they kept on bloomin. Today they have 4 blooms and 5 more on the way. The 38 Deg. temp we had this morning didn't deter them at all. Like I said: I love my BOPs.

Ann
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5726993

Lucky you all.
I heard they can take a light frost,with no damage.
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5727060

Have anyone of you guys grew, BOP from seed, Or a white Bird of Paradise
from. I would like to try them with our class.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5727363

I purchase both mine as plants. They take quite a while to grow from seeds & I wanted by white Bird of Paradise for privacy. That's a 6' fence behind these.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5727938

I inherited a large clump of Strelizia reginae near my front steps. They were flowerless, so I watered them a bit. Low and behold, they absolutely exploded with flowers and have many more to come forth. This is, by the way, the City of Los Angeles Official Flower.

I divided a clump of the nicholii (white Bird, or Giant Bird) and they are absolutely sulking, even with regular water. I have been told that dividing them is a risk for growth and flowering (of course, AFTER I divided mine). They take up to two years to actually come back from this, will grow VERY slowly, and will withhold flowers for the same amount of time.

jomocon, your nicholii are absolutely beautiful. I love this plant - drought tolerant once fully established!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5728249

Jungleman, I think you're right about dividing the nicholii. I originally purchased these 3 in gallon containers and since the containers were very full, I decided to divide up the containers to cover a larger area. That was spring of 2007, and they grew very, very slowly last year - maybe only a foot or so. This year, they must have finally settled down and have grown to the current height about an additional 4 feet this year - plus a lot of new babies. I think it will be another year or 2 before I see any flowers.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5728352

My white bird is at least 10 yrs old,and it kept busting out of every pot I put it in,so I divided it a year ago or so,has never flowered.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
6:24 AM

Post #5735884

Mine has yet to flower either. Someday if it does, Don, you will hear me shout with JOY clear from Texas! LOL!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5735965

I'll keep my ear facing south,just in case you let out a Holler!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5745118

plantladyhou - My next door neighbor in MD is originally from Victoria, TX. His wife is from Port Lavaca (sp?). My Priest came from there earlier this year. Small world.

I'm looking forward to planting BOP when I "officially" move to FL. Lived in HI for 7 years and I loved seeing them everywhere.
johnpeten
San Andres, Peten
Guatemala

November 3, 2008
8:11 AM

Post #5746468

Growing BOP Strelitzia reginae from seed is a long term project. They need a temperature of between 70 and 80 F. They may germinate in 10 to 12 weeks or as long as 12 months.
I have some seed in my Nursery but they will probably be forgotten before they germinate.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5748284

I can never get my flowers pollinated,for they only bloom inside the greenhouse,and always in the fall to early winter,never during the spring and summertime!
It's just now opening up all the way.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5748291

Poor lonely bloom in the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5749575

Lovely! I am so jealous!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #5750078

Thank,s love your swing set greenhouse!!!
missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #5751341

Thanks Johnpeten,
For the infor, So now I understand this will be a long project.
I do have heat mats and grow lights. I will be be doing this project
with children at work. Is there any more infor you may have
that can be helpful, like the kind of soil, should it we keep on the
dry out .
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5752927

Thanks Don! It was a necessity since we don't have the canopy on the patio this year. It is so full I don't think I could get much more in there. Lately the weather has just been gorgeous, so I have the two front flaps taped open so the air can circulate.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
5:18 AM

Post #5754156

Hopefully it will be a mild winter,enough extremes for one year!
johnpeten
San Andres, Peten
Guatemala

November 6, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5758673

MissG
Regular potting soil kept damp not soggy.
When you first see the seeds with their mop of red hair you may think somebody is playing a joke on you.
With such hard shell seeds it is helpful to soak them for a few days.
I am guessing that the purpose of the hair is to act as a wick to bring in water.

It is usual for children to provide something like Zinnias which are sure fire fast germinators and will grow on a warm windowsill. For me it was Mustard and Cress on a damp flannel.

John

Thumbnail by johnpeten

missg
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5760439

johnpeten, Thank for the infor and I will keep the Zinnias in mine.
Gale
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5760674

When in Maui in February this year I purchased the package of BOP seed as is the ritual. Planted all twelve in peat pots. Got discouraged and just put all of them in a pail. Early this summer was digging out lots of stuff and lo and behold one of them had germinated...in the dark with no water. I have it planted in my "nursery" pot and it has grown into 3 leaves about 12". This one is determined to live with or without my help.

I love yours, Don. You have great success going against nature. I'm in that boat this time. Went overboard on tropicals and now what happens when we have a frost???

Christi
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5761760

Have Mike run outside and cover everything with blankets!!!LOL
Thats what I do,looks like ghost are every where in the yard!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5762486

Have missed your subtle humour.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5764501

Arthritis has been killing me lately.
Celebrex,must not be working anymore!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #5764556

So sorry. Can certainly sympathize with the constant pain. Saps ones energy.

http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?FORM=MECA00&publ=be9d9177-4634-4322-9853-b31bbbd0483e&crea=STND_Search_feature_Image_SliderTreeHouse_160x600&q=tree houses#
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5765398

Love the tree houses!!!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
6:12 AM

Post #5765434

Neat tree houses! DS and daughter and friends used to have a really neat one in our backyard 25 yrs ago, nothing as elaborate as those pictured, tho. They ran an extension cord out there so they could take the little TV and a light out there. They hung out there for quite awhile. They really had some great times!

Don, sorry you're not feeling well. Does the cold weather cause more achiness? The extreme weather either hot or cold does mine. 'Will keep you in my prayers!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5765956

Oh, how funny. I clicked the tree house link from a newspage on Yahoo. I have no idea whatsoever how it got attached to my post.
Serendipitous, I would think. Glad you enjoyed it. You know my neighbor has a treehouse tripped out in victorian with a tv, ac/heat, refrig, microwave...all the comforts of home. It is for her hideaway...not the grandkids. He built an arbor and opened the fence between our yards so I can visit the treehouse whenever.

God is good everyday.

Christi

Thumbnail by LouC

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5766070

I purchased a White BOP this fall at Lowe's, it was about 1 1/2' tall. I repotted it and it is putting out new leaves. It is in the house for the winter.

I have some White and another color seeds to try. I didn't realize they were so long germinating. I thought Bananas & Passifloras were a long time germinating.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5766715

My white BOP is about 10 yrs old,never has bloomed,and has busted out of at least 3 pots now,the roots get so big and cramped,they just split the pot right into.
I have divided it a couple times,the biggest leaf is now at least 10ft tall.
I pray it will bloom one day!

Yes Jeanne,cold weather bunches me up something terribly.I ache all the time.
Praying for a mild winter!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5767140

Don, try a spoonful of Epsom Salt for the BOP. Can't hurt and might help.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5767466

Christi,You think a spoonful might help me as well???LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5769338

Can't hurt, might help.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 28, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5838945

There were quite a few threads about Bird of Paradise, so I didn't want to start a new thread with this... but I wanted to post a thank you to Jomoncon and htop for their help with my birds. Our Uncle Zach lived in New Orleans and had a BOP that he had brought back as a small plant from Australia back in the 50's (when you could still literally carry the plants on the plane with you). He also brought home a small staghorn fern. They were both gifts from his cousins (who still live in Australia), so he prized them. Both plants had grown huge in size over the many years, with the staghorn requiring an industrial chain for suspension. When Uncle Zach passed away post-Katrina, we split out three roots of the BOP to plant in pots at our house in Baton Rouge and cut off a start of the staghorn. The mama staghorn was donated to the Botanic Garden at City Park in New Orleans (look for it in the Train Garden... it's by far the largest one there!). Annnnyway, the BOP's hadn't bloomed at all since their move and finally had set a bud on one of the plants a few weeks ago... just in time for our weather to turn to frost. I contacted both htop and Jomoncon for advice on how to protect the plants and encourage the bloom. They were both kind enough to respond, which I very much appreciate! So, here's the long awaited bloom... 3 years in the making! I just had to take a photo of it when we first got home and saw it had opened (at night). I didn't want to take a chance that something might happen to it before I could get the shot!!! =P

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5839024

Don't get any purteryour than that!!!
Did your uncle grow his in the ground or in a container?
They can take a light frost.
Don
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 29, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5839099

Uncle Zach actually had the perfect place for his BOP. He grew it in a huge old stump that was decaying in the center of his back yard. It made the perfect naturalized circular bed. The BOP thrived there.

As Uncle Zach had no children or any other relatives here in the U.S., we really wanted to make sure that his memory lived on with the plants he loved. There's a small dedication plaque to him with his large staghorn in the Train Garden... and I plan to eventually split off more pups from our smaller "baby" staghorn as well as split out the BOPs to pass down to our children.

Here's the staghorn pup, 3 years after the split...

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5839131

What ever your doing don't stop,she's green and lush and beautiful!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 29, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5839167

Thanks! =)

Our baby gets a food processed banana peel three times a year and misting twice a week... and that's about it. We protect her from hard freezes (25 and below) with visqueen, but otherwise she's outdoors on a fairly protected courtyard wall through all weather, including 30'ish winter temps, a hail storm and two hurricanes. She's just a very happy baby!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5839226

BlissfulGarden, I'm glad if anything I said helped you out. Isn't it great to see that first BOP flower? You'll get more next year & even more the year after that. Be careful with fertilizer. Don't give it anything with high nitrogen, or anything else too frequently. I use Peters Professional Super Blossom Booster Plant Food, 10-50-10, in a weak solution about once a month.

I was at the City Park Botanical gardens about a month ago for the garden show. I was admiring all the staghorn ferms. Some are really immense. I may have seen your donated one & not realized it. What does the plaque say, so I can look for it the next time I'm there.

I have a nice staghorn, but after two years it doesn't seem to be growing very much. Are you doing anything special with yours? How much sunlight? Mine is in bright light, with no direct sunlight. I don't fertilizer, but give it a spray of water about once a week during hot weather.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 29, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5839260

Jo-Ann, the plaque is small and brass. It simply says "In memory of Zach T. Stanborough, 1915-2006". They normally do not post plaques by donated plants, so we were very grateful that they allowed us to have one.

The only thing I do with the staghorn is grind up a banana peel in a food processor and tuck it into the nooks and crannies at the beginning of spring, summer and fall. It's in filtered sunlight, mounted on a brick column underneath a large oak tree. I give it a drink with the sprayer once or twice a week in summer. This one started out three years ago with five leaves (fronds?) that I split off the mama. I'm actually not sure of the terminology, but you get the idea! =P
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5839283

I'm going to have to start saving my banana peels for the garden!
Jo-Ann
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #5846534

Me too! Great looking plants! I'm still waiting on my BOP to bloom...

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5875860

Seeing all these I now have hope for mine. It may take a few more years, I started mine from seed last spring. She's about 1 1/2 feet tall now. Thanks Don, you always inspire me.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5876086

Robyn,
You're welcome.
Seems to be growing pretty good from seed and faster than I'd think it would,to me these birds grow slow enough as it is!
I was watching Miami,CSI last night and in one of the scenes it should a giant white bop with yellow bird of paradise flowers,you never know what TV is going to show !!LOL

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5877938

I'll have to start watching more closely then, cause I didn't see it. Dang,. I picked up a white BOP at Lowes along with a ZZ plant for $3.00 a piece, thought that was a good bargain, they are both about a foot tall.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5878126

Yep,those are excellent prices!!!!
Lucky you!!!!!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5879267

Woohoo. I can join the BOP party now; my BOP finally bloomed this year (it's so hard watching those bloom stalks slowly develop). Second year in a row now - I can't believe I almost gave up on this guy.

Thumbnail by keonikale

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5879474

kepnikale, Aren't these just the most beautiful flowers? And we wait so long for them that when they do show up it's just wonderful. Now that it's starting to bloom, each year you'll get more & more.

I've heard that they will last for weeks if cut & brought inside. Actually, I seldom cut them off since they are so grand on the plant itself. Maybe when I start getting more blooms, I'll cut some off.
Jo-Ann
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5879628

Congrats!!!!
I know I can't stop looking at them!!!LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5879816

Loverly!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5879939

I've been tempted to cut one and bring it inside, but I wasn't sure how long it'd last. I hate just leaving it out in the garage; we could certainly enjoy it more in the house.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #5880451

Wish I could plant mine in the ground,the plant is so large now I move the pot around with a 2 wheeler!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

December 11, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #5880514

Kale, beautiful bloom! Thanks for sharing. =)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
7:49 AM

Post #5880616

I'm still waiting for a bloom...

We got snow last night...does that count for strange and unusual...not exactly "tropical" tho. LOL!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5881186

Beautiful bloom. Can't hardly wait for mine.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5881470

Jeanne,Oh your hoping for a white bird!!!LOL
Or maybe a penguin bird!!!LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5882726

Yep...the penguin would have felt right at home here last night!

My BOP is in my makeshift GH, so maybe there is hope for it yet! LOL!

Don, hope you and Patti are doing well. Happy Holidays everyone!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5882923

Happy Holidays to everyone as well!!!
In time it will bloom,just keep feeding it when it warms up!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5883495

OK! Will do! Thanks!
plantlover1942
Granbury, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6256754

My first msg on DG. Can anyone advise me. I have 3 lg Birds 24" pots They are at least 4-6 yrs old. Something happen this yr all the leaves are in very bad shape. Partially trimed back in the hopes of not losing the mother plants leaving center leaves and roots. Does anyone think they could make it in the ground?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6256920

Are these outside or inside now?
Unless in a micro climate,don't think they would make it in zone 8.
They can take a light frost but not much under 25* for a long period of time.
Have they had much cold and lots of moisture this winter?
mike_in_NZ
Atawhai,Nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6266751

You could try cutting them right back for the winter and see if they return in the spring. I think the roots would be able to survive in the ground provided the soil doesn't freeze too much.

Mike

plantlover1942
Granbury, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6271676

THANKS. They are in pots in the garage. Temps were really in the 60-70's several days. I forgot the nite it turned 45-50 and left out. Thats when I think the problem began. Leaves looked wind burned or sun burned due to being in the garage for several months. This week we are to have the 75-80's, so will give them some light and keep under the patio. I maybe need to trim a little more the new growth is trying to come out and I have a new baby. I will try to get pics before I trim.
mike_in_NZ
Atawhai,Nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2009
9:02 AM

Post #6283767

I planted one of mine in the garden in early summer which had spent it's whole life in a nursery and then indoors. The sun and wind burnt the existing leaves but the re-growth was fine as the plant adapted to the outdoors.

If you plant yours outdoors it too will adapt and temps of 45-50 won't bother it at all. In fact I had several other birds in the ground before last Winter and with temps as low as 35 they were fine.

Mike
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #6288798

Is there any hope that I might be able to successfully grow one of these in Raleigh, NC (7b)? I used to live in Tucson, and my neighbor had one on the corner of his house facing mine, and I loved (and miss) it! I would love to have one and see it bloom one day (I can be patient). Just curious what sort of "lifestyle" would be suggested for it in my area.

I have a deck which gets filtered sunlight in the summer, some full-sun yard space, shaded yard space, and will have a GH (hopefully erected this weekend) that will be in the shade most of the day in summer under deciduous trees, allowing for full sun in the winter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6289462

Unless you have a area with a 9 zone micro-climate,I don't think it would be possible,I'm a zone 7 here,and I don't think it could take a zero temperature for whole day without dying.
Even tho the ground hasn't froze here in quite some years,I still think it's still to cold.
I think like me it will have to be a container plant,and over winter indoors,for the flowering time is always around or after the Xmas holidays for me,and the cold would never let it flower.
You might try winter protection with a heat source,I over winter a washingtonia robusta a palm,wit the same zone requirements as the bop,by building a makeshift greenhouse and using rope Xmas lights wrapped around the trunk for a heat source,and it made it thru this
winter with flying colors,but then it was covered most the winter,unless it was going to be around 50* and then I would uncover until I got home from work and covered it back up for night time.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6289550

Thanks Tropicman. I failed to mention that I will have a GH for the winter months to keep it toasty, unless that would be too cold as well, in which case, it will be welcomed indoors with open arms. :)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6289594

If you don't keep your greenhouse at freezing or higher,I'd bring it inside the house for overwintering,but you could keep it out there until the temps do drop that low!
Good Luck
shelbsyd
Oakley, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6354257

I have Giant Birds and Strelitzia Birds of Paradise and this winter they were not happy. I live in zone 8b and the leaves look like crap. This was a cold winter, tempetures at night on the mid 20's. The base of the plant is still green, so I cut back the bad leaves and I see some new growth. I just don't know how fast these plants grow. I am thinking of taking them out of my garden because by the time they come back, winter will be here again. I have seen Birds of Paradise all over the neighborhood the past 5 years, so last year I decided to buy them, had no clue we would have such a cold, wet winter. Poor Birds. My neighbor has one that has to be 8 - 10' tall and it is all brown and shrively. He must of had it for a long time. Do you think I should give up on the birds? Can they grow inside the house as a house plant? How fast do they grow? Please advise. Thanks, Jennifer
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

April 2, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6354287

Shelbsyd, I have birds that had sad looking leaves last winter. I'm also in 8b (Louisiana). Pics of my first bloom are above (scroll up). I don't just trim the leaves when they look bad... I split them off at the base so that they don't gather too much moisture in the crook and then rot out. Too much moisture will cause you many problems. It's okay to just follow outside leaves down to the very base of the plant and pull outward to separate the leaf completely from the base. It will leave you a nice, healthy white base with the new green leaves coming out and a strong root stock. The plant may look a little small for a while as the new leaves come out, but I believe the plant is healthier in the long run. This is the strategy I've used for the last three years with my birds... after we transplanted very abused rootstock from their home in New Orleans post-Katrina. Good luck! Ev
shelbsyd
Oakley, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6354368

Thank you Blissful Garden for your advise. I will do that when I get home from work. I had no clue on how to take care of them. My poor plant will not be much of anything, but anything will help. This winter I will be sure to cover them. Funny is my Philadenroms that are planted near the birds made it with no problem, but the birds don't like the cold.
mike_in_NZ
Atawhai,Nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6364436

Hey Tropicman. Here's a photo of a recently bloomed Nathan Charles Hibiscus in our garden. There's a few more on the way. Looking forward to those!

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_in_NZ

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6364670

Oh man! she's a beauty,I just bought one today called Delta Rose,about the same color with a black eyed center,it doesn't have the ruffles on the outer leaves like yours does.
These new hybrid varieties here,are very expensive,$20 bucks for a rooted cutting,I wished I could have bought a bunch more,that had quite a few,but I already had spent my $50 bucks a week allotment!!!LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #6366223

oh thats a purty one!
mike_in_NZ
Atawhai,Nelson
New Zealand
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2009
7:28 AM

Post #6366307

Are you wheeling your plants out yet or still too early?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6366897

Normally I have them out ,but the weather is not cooperating ,8 inches of snow last weekend,and this week,were expecting a couple days of a hard freeze,so it looks like it will be another week or two!
Winds were blowing with gust to 60mph yesterday and today looks no different.
It blew so hard that it was blowing semi trucks over on there sides,closing down highways!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6367229

I am freezing!!!! I have to go out and blanket up my pots that I gathered together under the picnic table and the bbq grill.. lay blankets over the north and south fences... and I am too cold! what the heck!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6368041

Warming up now a whopping 39*,down to 26* tonite and 21* tomorrow nite!!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6368428

I guess putting the tropicals out right now would be like a death sentence.. Bleah.. I HATE THIS WEATHER!!!
( trying not to get too depressed) My piper nigerum has a new leaf! YAY! OH! trpicman is a flower frandfather.. the adopted children plants I am caring for over the winter have babies.. now what do I do?

Thumbnail by joeswife

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6369160

Feed and bathe them!!!!!!LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6370495

uhm.. they need to come home to papa... LOL
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6388249

I tried to germinate some from seed. They never came up. These were supposed to be orange and blue. Love that! I still have 2 seeds left, and I also have seed for the white one. I haven't tried again yet. Tropicman, do yours get over 6 feet tall like in that picture?

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6388271

I started one my orange and blue one from seed, Out of 10 seeds one germinated it took 3 months to get it now after a year it is about 3 feet tall.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6388301

Well. I guess I will try them again later. My kitchen counter is JUST COVERED with trays with little pots inside. I have them setting on heating pads set on low. Got stuff everywhere!!!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6388722

The white bird is around 10ft,but the orange and blue is about 4ft.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6388739

Wow. Now I REALLY want to get those seeds germinated! Don. Do you think they will fit in my bedroom with the bananas this fall? Ha! ha! ha!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6388775

Sure next year,but the year after that!Not sure!!!LOL
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6388862

You think I will get bananas this year? Yum!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6388878

How cool would that be.

I hsve 3 dwarf bananas here in the house that were doing good until last month and then they started dying like. I'm hoping they will come back when they get full warm sunshine. The 4th one seems to be still doing good.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6388906

Do you think they have been overwatered? Tropicman told me when he gave me mine and found out I would be overwintering in pots in the house to be very careful of that. He said its real easy to overwater them when in the house. I can tell you I had one he gave me that didn't seem to do well from the moment I put it in the pot. But I pruned it underneath where it was brown. Turned brown again. Pruned it until it was about an inch tall. You know what? It came up from the root! Now its 2 or 3 feet tall! Just itchen to be in the ground!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6388944

I water them like I do my brugs for the winter. Which is very little. I'm wondering if I didn't water enough though. Crossing my finger they come back.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6389025

I hope the do to! Losing a loved plant is like a death in the family.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6389079

My banana tree from you is unfurling a new leaf... I havn't seen it for two days.. amazing what happens in a 24 hour period.. thanks Don!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6389172

Dons great, isn't he?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6389425

yes.. he is a phenomenal Gardener and I can't spell ..going to visit him is like going to a tropical magical paradise
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6389477

Yes! Magical! Have you met his bird Spike?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6389533

oh yes.. met Spike, and all the rest of his Birds.. they are way cool!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6389583

He sent me a video of spike on you tube. He was funny!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6389588

bubba, you need to come up here for the seed and plant swap in May!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6389661

I would need to find a pill for courage first! I am not good at all in a car in unknown territory! Wouldn't be so bad on the road, but when I got into Wichita fear would take over! I don't even like to drive in Oklahoma City! To me, if you don't know exactly where you are going, its like getting caught up in a school of fish! Wherever they go, you go! My nerves are wound too tight! And you know, when I was young it never bothered me at all. Guess I've been through too much. Coping mechanism is out of whack!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6389774

awwww... I will be glad to take a road trip.. I will come and get you ! LOL really I could give you EXact route easy to get here.. maybe we can all get down there sometime.. there are alot of oklahoma roadsides I need to look around in for native plants on the way to where you are..
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6389806

What kind of native plants? I fellow dgardener a western red bud tree last spring. She couldn't understand why I was pulling them up and throwing them away. But I get them in my flower beds by the masses.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #6390101

Well I managed to get about 5 of my biggest bananas in the ground,and I'll bet you they love this rain!!!!!
Just hope a hard freeze doesn't come now!!!!!!

Debra, have you announced the round up yet here on Daves????
I really have had spring fever this week,spent all day outside working in the yard this week,glad I got a lot of things done before the rains came!!!!!
Just maybe it will bring another season like I had last year!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6391924

Don. Honestly! You are freeking me out and making me green with envy!! Even your grass is green!!!! Mine is still brown. Really? Is that this year? Its cold here today, but we have not had any snow and the rain is not expected until tomorrow. The winds yesterday gusted at 70 miles per hour with sustainable winds of 30. Almost as bad today. There are wildfires in Oklahoma City that started yesterday. We are used to having wildfires in Oklahoma, but they are usually in the country with livestock in danger and maybe a farmhouse or two. At least 100 homes burned to the ground in OKC area yesterday, many people in danger. Firefighters were frustrated because of the wind. About the time they'd get the fires out, the wind would gust and light them back up. Then last night the wind changed directions and put more people in danger. Bad deal. They are still battling them today.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6392398

LOL last year,but grass is green!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2009

Post #6392427

Yep. Mines brown. But we do have a little green peeking. Going to Walmart now for potting soil and eggs. My boys will mutiny if they don't have deviled eggs with their ham!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6477750

I finally took the plunge today and bought a BOP at Lowes. Unfortunately, because they don't have anything other than "Tropical Foliage" on the tag, I don't know what variety I have, but suspect it's a white bird. My short term plan is to park it by my pond to help reduce sun exposure to the pond and algae growth (until my lilies take over more). It has a few "trunks" in the pot, but I'm hesitant to divide and repot without advice from those of you with more experience than I. I'm not as worried about it flowering right now, and it does look rather cramped in the pot (so much so that when I mentioned it to the person at Lowes, they took an additional $10 off the pricetag). I'll attach a couple pictures if that assists in identifying its actual variety and any care recommendations.

As an FYI, it's about 7 feet tall if that matters at all.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by jlj072174

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6477755

Here is an up close picture of the base in the pot.

Thumbnail by jlj072174

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6477762

And an up close of a leaf.

Thumbnail by jlj072174

bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6477783

Wow! Seven feet tall! I will try not to be green! I just bought my first bird of paradise, and its only a few inches tall. But then, I only paid just over $2 for mine. Tee hee hee!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6477807

It wasn't my objective to buy one that tall. As I mentioned, it happened to be a perfect size to provide shade for my pond to help control the algae growth I'm seeing. That it was a plant I actually wanted is a double-perk! :-) I am excited to find out exactly what species I have and how to properly care for it.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

April 29, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6478101

jlj, your plant definitely looks like the White BOP. Here's a link to the DG PlantFile:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2467/

In particular, compare your plant to the one by OregonCoastSeth (I think that's the name... 3rd pic down, I believe). Your plant very closely resembles that one, even given the size difference. If you glance over the comments of many, it looks like your purchase was normal size for one being offered in a nursery. Perhaps you could write to one of those folks who talk about purchasing one, especially if they live in your area, to see how theirs have performed and what they did to improve performance. Ev =)
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6478351

They like to be root bound,helps them come into bloom!
So they say!!!LOL
Had mine years,busted several pots by the overcrowding roots,but no blooms ever.
I took mine out of the bough and put in the ground for the summer!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6478548

Thanks Bliss and Tropic for the info.

Tropic -- do you then repot your's at the end of the season? I'd do the same, but I'm nervous about the stress that might put on the plant combined with the transition indoors for winter.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6479742

You scored a lovely giant white bird of paradise. If it were mine & I was going to keep it in a pot, I'd repot it into a larger pot right now, disturbing the roots as little as possible. Especially if you're not very concerned about it flowering.

Here are mine - still a little raggedy from the winter. I planted then 3 years ago for privacy. The were about 3' tall when I planed them. I had 3 very full pots, so I divided each of them in half. They were very, very slow growing that first year, but really took off after that. The fence behind them is 6' tall. The tallest one must be 10'. They've grown very nicely, and have even put out a few small pups. But no sign of a flower!
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6479777

Sometimes a plant has to be stressed a little in order to flower,I guess it will flower when it decides it wants to !!!LOL
So I'll just have to wait!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6479786

Do they have to be root bound to flower? If so, I have a long way to go. Should I put mine where it gets only morning sun?
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6480626

JoAnn -- If it would make it through the winter here (Raleigh NC), I'd put her in the ground. But I think that'd be too risky, given I'm a zone and a half off from the recommendation for this type of plant to be winter hardy. I thought I'd keep her in the greenhouse, but I think she's too tall for that even now.

When you say "disbturbing the roots as little as possible, do you mean I should try to take the contents as they are now and just put them in the pot and surround with new soil (in other words, not break up the soil around the roots right now)?

Thanks much for the advice!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6480838

jlj072174, your description of disturbing the roots as little as possible is exactly what I mean.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6481097

Yes morning sun and then gradually into full sun in a few weeks!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6481935

Thank you!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6487381

Thanks for the info on repotting...I have one that is in desperate need of repotting. Will do the same...bigger pot...add soil...do not disturb roots! Got it!

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6491018

Guess what I picked up tonight at Lowes -- strelitzia reginae! I couldn't believe they had them. I'd searched through there on every trip I've made there for months (I'm in there at least once or twice a week), and low and behold, tonight, I spotted two of them in the back of their new plants that have arrived -- almost like someone stashed them in the way back to hide them so they could buy them later. I've been on the hunt for this variety (even though I love the white bird I picked up the other night) as it's what we had in Arizona and I missed them, my daughter snapped a picture of me on her cell phone while I was hugging the plants. LOL

I feel like I just won the Powerball! :-)

Tropic -- question for you -- when you move your's outside for the warmer months, do you place them in full sun, part, or dappled?

This message was edited May 1, 2009 8:58 PM
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6491611

You have to post the picture of you and your new children!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6491845

I have a row of yellow groove bamboo that runs the length of the driveway,it provides great dappled shade for all my plants when I first bring them outside to harden off,for a couple weeks then she goes in full sun,until I bring her back in for the winter.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6492200

I haven't downloaded the picture from my daughter's camera, but here is a picture of the newest additions to the family. The two on the right are the orange birds; the one on the left is another white bird that appeared jealous the others were getting a new forever home, so I decided to bring her home, too. :)

Thumbnail by jlj072174

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6492204

Here are the bottoms of the plants. I'm wondering if they're root bound enough they might bloom (in which case, I might wait to repot them) or if they're too much so that they should be put in new pots now. Note the white bird (left) roots have force the container to be more a little more oval vs. round due to the growth. Lots of baby leaves at the bottoms as well. Thoughts?

Thumbnail by jlj072174

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6492667

Just Loverly!
Yes go ahead and pot up a size.
Then I wouldn't pot up until the roots fill that pot,hopefully blooms will come before that happens!!!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6496158

The plants are in their new pots now, and my daughter said to me last night, "Mom, I mean this in the nicest possible way -- our deck is looking like a tropical rain forest!" LOL

I have a question about fertilizer. What recommendations would you all offer in terms of the BOP? What kind, how often, etc. Thanks much to everyone thus far for their advice! Greatly appreciate it!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6496661

20-20-20,is just hard to beat!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6501447

My white Bop has been in the same pot I bought it in early last year and it looks like it's getting overcrowded but I'm not sure. I'll take a picture and put it on here after my dd wakes up and I can get the camera. I put my orange one in a bigger pot last year, now I'm wondering if it is too big since you say they like to be root bound. I started it from seed late 2007. Will get a pic of it too for your opinions.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6502138

I leave my Bop's in the pots,until it actually bust the pots,and believe me they will crack it clean into,roots are very powerful,thats when I repot mine.
There wasn't very much potting soil left in the pot either,seems rather cruel to me,but sometimes it's stress the throws a hard to bloom plant into a blooming cycle,I to the same
with my bougainvilleas as well.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6502188

I just got a bunch of small bougie plant, should put them in small pots? I wanted to put 3 to a pot.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6502852

I guess it would be alright,never seen that done before,don't know why you couldn't.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6502981

I wanted a sherbert look to the pot with different colors.

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6503622

We call that Neapolitan here!!!!
Like the ice cream!LOL
Should be pretty!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #6520425

Tropical Rain Forests are good! My kids and grandkids call ours "the jungle" or NaNa's jungle! haha!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6554322

How old do the BOP need to be to bloom. I have a white one about 4ft tall just got today. It has a baby beside it but do not the exact age. Mekos
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6555156

8 years and still in waiting here!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6557058

But your orange one has bloomed, right?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6557081

Yes it blooms every year,usually around Xmas time!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6557175

I moved mine into the full sun this afternoon. I can't wait until it grows!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6562450

Can the white ones live outside in the winter in zone 7, S.C. ? I'm debating putting it in the groun and not sure if it will survive the winter. Do they grow outside in N.C. ? if so they probably will here. How about it? Does anyin N.C. have one outside?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6562465

OH and how deep to plant them? Can anyone tell me so I don't kill mine?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6562694

I don't think it will survive in zone 7. See the plant files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2466/.

I always plant everything at the same height as it was growing in the original pot, if not slightly higher. Except tomatoes, of course.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6563405

Snapped a few pics this afternoon,here's one of the orange bop,it's about 6ft now,don't know how tall these will get too eventually,of course it's in a 15 gallon pot.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6563869

looking good there all of it
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6564531

Thanks,also getting things lined up for the round up coming May 30th here.

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6564829

Mine is a mini next to yours, but I'm still proud of it.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6564900

Mine was to at one time,it was only a 2 leaf plant when I bought it,but food and fresh air,and plenty of sunshine,she really has grown!
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6565169

Don- How long have you had yours?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6565722

Just guessing 10 yrs maybe!!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6568386

Don, here are a few of the things that I have grown for the RU,

Thumbnail by joeswife

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6696928

I have my first BOP flower of the season!! Plus I can see at least 2 more coming. I think this will be a banner year for the flowers.

Thumbnail by jomoncon

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6697429

What is your secret to getting to bloom in the summer time?
Mine always bloom in the late fall and early winter,inside the greenhouse.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6697447

Wife just informed me that I too had one in flower as well!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6697503

Tropicman. What are you feeding that bird of paradise to get it to bloom in such a manner? Ha! ha!
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6697515

(O_o) funeee!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6697569

LOOKS more IN LABOR!!!! Maybe painful. SO CUTE!! Never saw a blue one before.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6699126

He's my slug and mosquito eater!!!!LOL
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6700199

Hubby wants to know if he can get a cutting of that one!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6700216

He is very cute and reminds me of a dumb thing I did one time. I got this plant that was some kind of yucca about 8-10 ft. tall, I wanted it to look like it was blooming so I cut the bottoms out of white egg crates and shaped the styrofoam to look like little flowers. Got the ladder and climbed to the top of the plant and stuck a white flower on every tip that stuck up at the top. Before I finished so I could get down, a humming bird came and started humming the flowers and was quite upset there was no nectar and was all over me, like he thought I took it or I was in his territory or something. I almost fell getting down. We laughed till we cried at the hummers, and all I wanted was blooms.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6700266

LOL,I'll try to sneak up on him and get one!LOL

I hear you,my white bird of paradise must be getting to be 10 yrs and not bloom one,it has busted out of least pots,this year I planted her in the ground,she's putting out leaves but no blooms!!!!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6702187

Is there something particular about the stems when there will be a bloom on it, or does it look like the regular new leaves making their debut? Just want to know what to look for if/when the time comes for my BOPs. I have them all on the deck in their pots receiving bright light all day long. They seem happy there, as they're constantly spitting out new leaves.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6702333

If you notice how and where the leaves come on new from the base,the flower stems,will come up between the stem branches,in between the middle of the stems usually for me.and there will color at the end,you'll know right away its a flower,and not a new leaf.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6740000

Happy Birthday to youuuuu Happy Birthday to youuuu.. Happy Birthday dear Tropicman, Happy birthday to youuuuu
Here is a bloom I got to see, smell and touch last night at Tropicmans' house. I hope you gOt some chocolate cake, Don!

Thumbnail by joeswife

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6740019

Happy birthday tropicman. What is that flower bloom of? That is beautiful!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6740097

Thanks go here to find out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004736/#new
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #6740454

Hope you had a fun filled Happy Birthday!!!!!!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

March 20, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7643770

I'm hoping one of you northerners growing Birds can help me out with this question. I've had my Birds for many, many years... growing happily in very large pots outside. This was a winter for the record books. No matter how hard I tried to protect them, I just couldn't keep them warm enough. We were out of town for one prolonged period of temps in the teens and somehow the protection came loose. The result was complete browning of the tops of my birds. The roots looks healthy in the soil, but the tops and stalks are completely gone. I'm wonder... will Birds come back when there is absolutely NOTHING alive on top? Will they behave like elephant ears and spontaneous send something up elsewhere along the roots? These plants were babies from plants that were brought back from Australia via Army Air by hubby's uncle back in the 50's. They have sentimental value. The original plants were lost post-Katrina in New Orleans... so I want to save these Birds if at all possible. Advice would be very appreciated!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7643811

If the roots weren't wet and froze,you might have a chance they will come back,keep them warm and little on the dry side.I had one comeback,that was cold,and lost all its stems,and thats what I did,kept them warm and dry,until I saw a little growth re appear,before watering them.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

March 20, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7644533

Okay, I'll give it a try. I just had no idea whether there was even a possibility once all the stalks were gone. The roots look very viable though... so I'll keep hoping! Thanks for the feedback. =)
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7644809

I have the same problem with my 2 birds in New Orleans. My smaller one is in full sun, next to a brick wall. It has started resprouting already. My larger one, however, is in partial shade. It hasn't done a thing yet. I'm giving them both a few months before deciding whether to replace them or not.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

March 21, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7644956

Did you cut your stalk all the way down to prevent rot? Also, where did yours start resprouting? A pic would be great, so I could know what to watch for. We had an unhappy surprise last night, didn't we? The cold came a day earlier and got to lower temps than they predicted. We reached low 30's last night and it's currently only 38. Isn't winter EVER going to end?!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 3:31 PM
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7645322

I remember having a freeze warning the first week of May last year. Boy was I ticked. You'd think by then it would be safe to plant!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7645619

Here's the smaller BOP that's in full sun, next to a brick wall. I didn't cut it all the way to the ground - I left about 6" or so. This seemed to be where the dead part ended. The new growth is coming from center of the old growth. Just like new leaves normally grow.

Thumbnail by jomoncon

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7645739

I had to cut mine back as well. I had them in the GH, but they still got a little too cold, I think. 3 of the 4 appear to have a lot of green from the bottom to half way up each stem, but that's where I cut them (where the dead started). Should I cut them down further (even if it's green)?
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

March 21, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7645832

Mine were dead all the way to the base on top, but the roots still have life. There was nothing green to leave on top... so I cut them to the ground, literally. There's not a crown center for new leaves to come from, so perhaps I'm sunk. I'm going to leave them undisturbed probably for the whole summer and see what happens. Since they are in huge pots, I can just roll the pots to a less conspicuous area (but stlll in full sun) and let them be until they sprout or until I'm sure they are gone. Thanks for the photos and shared experience. I appreciate it!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7645882

The green will finally go to brown,so either way you can cut now or later.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7646028

Here is a picture of mine, post-surgery. :-(

Thumbnail by jlj072174

bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7646046

Nice greenhouse.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7646152

Thanks! It's my new one (my belated Christmas gift to myself). I needed more space ... who doesn't! lol.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7646240

I definitly believe in gifting oneself! Ha! ha!
withad
Warren Center, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7649636

My first ever attempt at BOP's started in Dec. I planted 6 each of the orange, Mandella's gold and white. 2 each of the orange and Mandella's have sprouted and are 6-8" tall. The white only sprouted 1 and is still just a little tip sticking up out of the soil. One of the Orange has it's second leaf but the rest still have just one. I live in upstate Penna. and have all of them in four inch plastic pots with 2 litre coke bottles over them. They have been in the little coke bottle terraniums since I took them out of the seed starter cells. My question is " Now what do I do " I am so afraid of removing them from the bottles for fear of killing them as we are still in the semi heating season here. They all sit around my laptop looking at me saying " free me free me " but I don't know at what point I should. Also, since it is only in the 40-50 outside but super sunny could I put them out to get soom natural sunlight. The only light the get now is from a small 40 watt desk lamp behind my laptop. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to loose any of them.
bubba1
Woodward, OK
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7650169

I have 2 white that are between 4 and 5 ft. tall, and one orange that is over a foot tall. They have many leaves. I have a floor lamp that has three adjustable lights, in which I have put 3 of those new fluorescent bulbs. The 2 whites are underneath this lamp. The smaller orange is in my bedroom sitting on my dresser underneath another lamp with the fluorescent bulb. They have all had new growth since I had to bring them in last fall. When they go back outside this spring I will have to harden them off first. If I were you, I would first start with seeing how they respond to removing their little terrariums. Last winter I germinated a banana from seed in a little solo cup inside a baggie. When I removed the banana from the baggie the banana wilted. I put it back in the baggie and sealed it. Banana stood right back up. So, (on the suggestion of Tropicman) I began gradually opening the baggie. When I was able to fully open the bag without him melting I took him out. Maybe you should try gradually lifting the bottles, leaving them in the spot they are in. After they have adjusted you could try hardening them off when the temps are warmer. How does this sound?
withad
Warren Center, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7651242

I think I will just remove the cover a little each day and see how they react. Thanks.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7651836

Thanks
Good advice
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7653741

I'm seeing signs of growth on three of my four birds ... that's a good sign.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7654000

Congrats!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7688230

OK I did it. I kept my white bird of paradise outside in zone 7 over winter and it is about 2 foot tall right now and looking good. I composted it and mulched it and left it outside. I went out this morning and pulled out the mulch from over it and it was green and growing. They do survive my zone with care.Woo-Hoo! Maybe it will fly this summer so I can see a bloom.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7688333

Congrats!!!!!!
Both your thumbs must be green!!!!
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7688539

Congratulations, especially after this wacky winter we just had!!

How much/what kind of mulch did you do for it? A fence around it filled with leaves or pine straw, or just a few-inch pile of mulch on top of the base? Very curious ...
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7689211

My Giant white birds didn't make it though the winter. We're in the process of cutting them down to the ground & will give them until around June to see if anything comes back from the ground. I'm kind of hopeful something will sprout from the roots since the roots seem to be pretty solid in the ground. The stalks were rotten almost all the way to the ground.
Jo-Ann

Thumbnail by jomoncon

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7689576

Well, first I cut it back to about a foot above ground and wrapped in newspaper then mounded dried leaves around it and then covered in mulch. Then a month later I saw green shooting out the top and thought for sure it was a gonner but low and behold when I went out to check it out and pulled the mulch away from it, it was still green and had put up about 6-8 more inches of green. Looks good if I do say so myself. I'll try to get a picture of it later today if the rain stops. It's been in the 90's here all week and today it is raining but suppose to be cooler for a while now.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7689781

Great! I'm hoping that rain come this way and washes away the pollen! Thx much!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7690717

Well, we got rain and cooler weather but I wasn't expecting the tornado we got. We were ok at my place but right around me it touched down and did real damage. Then they spotted 2 more but not sure on all the damage thus far.
Gonna be in the LOW 70's now for at least a week and 40's at night. WOW! I can like this weather.
You guys watch for the bad weather as it moves around. This one came up SUDDENLY with no warning till it was on us.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7691141

Glad to hear you're okay Mekos, and hope there weren't any lives lost or injuries as a result of the twister. How scarey! I saw the tornado warnings on the news last night, but they were in the southern VA area. Hope everyone is okay.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7692682

Hi all, we were all ok around here. The damage was awful but no people were hurt. Tops off buildings and trees down and barns destroyed and some trees on roof tops of houses but no one died, thank GOD. He was looking out for us. It moved over fast or there could have been more damage. These things can be replaced and fixed.
I'm enjoying the cooler temps. It went from 90's to 70 all of a sudden after the storm. This is good for me. Didn't do much for the pollen though. I got up to a yellow car and truck. I was hoping that would be gone for a bit but cooler temps. are good. I'll take that.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7692733

Duh, I forgot to send the picture of my BOP. That was why I posted, sorry. Here is my baby who made it through the zone 7 winter outside. I thought it did real well for my zone and being outside all winter. It has a spike where it was sprouting a new leaf on top.

Thumbnail by mekos

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7692852

You all definitely had someone watching over you to keep you safe. Glad to hear no one was hurt. You're right ... houses, cars ... even plants ... can be replaced, but not people.

Thanks for posting the picture. So was the leaf that is growing start when you covered it for winter, or is that new growth? I'm going to have to try this with perhaps with one or two of my birds. They're probably going to be pot bound soon anyway, and I have a place where I'm taking up a smaller pond I have and will need to back-fill anyway. Might be a good protected spot for it in terms of wind. Is your's in full sun, or part?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7693016

I cut it back when I mulched over it and it started sprouting out the top during the winter. It is in full sun. I think wrapping it in newspaper helped and covering with mulch to hold on the papers. It was warm enough to keep growing under the covers. The top leaf is darker but looks moist and in good shape. Not dead looking. There was also a baby growing beside it but I haven't uncovered it yet to see if it made it. There is still 6 inches more of mulch over it right now. Didn't want to risk it if we get another frost and I forget to cover it. We usually get another frost around the middle of April when peaches are in bloom but this year it was hotter and they already bloomed. So I'm a little worried about uncovering it all the way down just yet.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7693084

Gotcha. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this. I'd love to try mine in the ground and have some full-sun spots to work with. Think I'll wait a couple more weeks before I put them there though, just to be safe. For now, if need be, I can truck 'em back into the GH.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7756847

Hi tropicman, I met you when I was in Wichita working, Debra brought me over to see all your beautiful greenhouses and plants. I also have a bird of paradise like yours, I have had these for at least 20 years...since I am in about the same zone as you I thought I would tell you mine only bloom in the early winter after I bring them in from the outdoors...go figure...

All summer long they grow and grow and stay beautiful green, but only have blooms sometimes after Thanksgiving...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7756937

Well, it's May and no other frosts came so I uncovered the rest of my white BOP and found the baby one. It is a lighter shade of green and so healthy but the tip of the big one which popped through the top during winter turned dead and came off but the whole plant is still growing and doing great. Definately still in good shape. I also found my dark burgandy festival grass which I was told wouldn't over winter out here either sprouting back up and just as shiny and dark and more beautiful than before. SO lots of mulch and good paper wraps do the job. We had the worst winter than we had had in I forgot how many winters, the weather people said, and they survived just fine. The tropical vines in my greenhouse however didn't. The power outage while in the teens for a week or more was just too much. Next year, gonna keep those in the house and the ones outside will just get a great mulch make over.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7757096

In some warped since we are lucky in the colder zones because we know it is going to get cold and stay that way. Winter was horrible for you folks in the south, I would hate to lose plants...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7757131

Well, I'm always zone pushing as the kinds of plants that just grab me are mostly tropical and it's just my little paradise because I'll never get to travel and see the whole big world of beauty and just can't help myself. Just got to give the right kind of care when you do this.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7757210

Mekos wanted me to come over and post about our round-up we are planning. I am new to this forum, bu hope you don't mind me popping in to visit and let this link for Mekos.
http://cubits.org/CharleyTheBigRedMule/thread/view/20356/
We are so looking forward to this round-up, hope to see you all there. I'll come back and visit fi you don't mind too.
Thank you.
Ridesredmule
Charleen
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7757262

Thanks RRM. If anyone is in or around the SC-Ga. area and would like to come, we're planning it in Augusta Ga. for September 25th. It's gonna be in a nice park with covered areas and water and bathrooms and a neutral place for all of us planning it. I'm going to bring some seeds and plants and hope to see some of you there. We can talk turkey and gardens too.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7757281

Yes Hap,I remember!
Same here,mine bloom right before or after Xmas time.
I finally have everything out and planted this year,now if things would just grow fast enough to please me!!!! LOL
Charlene everyone is more than welcome to chime in here,we welcome are gardening folks!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7757324

I beleive I fit!! Ask Mekos. but i don't have a bird of Paradise. but i can talk other things. i beleive we have talked before Tropicman.
Thank you for the warm welcome.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7757388

Tropicman, wish I could say the same about having everything planted. You are a zone warmer than me, but I am still getting in the low 40's. Does everything do ok for you if it gets that cool? I haven't put out the ee's or tropical hibisicus yet. Took the brugs out already. Coleus I am still waiting on also. You have been very busy...LOL

Was busy in the garden until thunder started and raining to way south of me...I am a little paranoid of thunder since lightening struck a little too close one time when I was on the porch... :D

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7757882

thatis enough to make you scared. Don't mess with lightening. Stay away from Screen doors too..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7758155

Honestly I never took it seriously until then. There was a rain storm going on but nothing major...I stepped out of the door to feed the dog who I can never get to come inside, as I was pouring food, lightening hit and I felt weird and jumped so hard I almost fell in the door along with the dog...the dog and I both have a new found respect for lightening. He wants in and I stay in...LOL
I felt weird for about 2 hours after that happened. New respect...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7758447

Oh MY! That was close. We had a neighbor once that got hit by lightning and everytime he went out if a storm was close he got hit again.Did it three times before he started staying in if stormy weather was forcast wheather it was close or not. He almost died 3 times. Blew off his toe the last time. He moved after that so not sure what ever happened to him after then. Weird. Doctors were baffeled as to why.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7758656

Don, I also have everything out and going, I wish I could actually see a banana this year. It is in full sun, the one you gave me, is that okay?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7758699

Hi Debra! Is our season long enough for bananas to be produced?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7758729

welll, Don gets bananas...
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7759100

Yep full sun
Plants can take a little cool weather,as long as it warms up in the day.
My plants saw 39* for a couple hours,and I couldn't tell it hurt them at all,it warmed up into the 50's later in the day.
Not sure they could take a frost though!
I also place plastic on the ground over the beds in early march to warm the soil up quickly.for about 3 to 4 weeks before I plant.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7759679

Wowzer guys, I did not think we could get bananas, I am zone 5a but we don't have that much difference in weather than I can see. Debra glad you posted that, I just never would of thought...I don't have mine in the ground. How hard are they to dig up?

Oh Debra, how exciting I hope you get fresh bananas, that is so cool!

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7762125

It usually takes about 3 summers of planting and digging back up to get bananas,I have done it in 2 summers.
Pink bananas you can get in one summer most of the time,but they are not edible.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7763185

Tropicman, if you know anything about ee's I posted a please id. Would you look at it and see if you can figure out which ee it is I have. One person did responde, I would just like a second opp.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9317182

Bump.

I see some faces I recognize from other forums. Helloooo. :)

A fellow DG'r sent me a clump of S. reginae this spring. He lives in TX. He dug it up from the mother plant. There appeared to be about 3 pups there all together. It had no roots and the way he shipped it made me fear that it would rot.

The leaves had all curled up, and it looked very stressed out. i put it in a relatively small clay pot, considering. I think it was 8'-10'. I just wanted it to sit on top of the soil without much water so it could dry out and root if possible.

Well it did (thank GOD - I felt bad it cost him over $40 to ship!!!). I had new growth over the summer in part to full sun. The new growth also appears to be curled (the leaves) but the thing was root bound (!) so it's now in a maybe 12"-15". Same thing - I just took the plant and all those beautiful roots and didn't disturb the roots at all. It's doing just fine outside and gets part sun now. Leaves still curled though.

I'd read conflicting information earlier. Now I'm reading this whole thread from the EXPERTS and wonder if Tropicman ever got his white BOP to bloom and whether the lady in Raleigh got hers to grow overwinter in my zone?

In any event, I will likely bring mine in overwinter. The question is about temperature. I've read they want bright/full sun in winter, though I see several comments here that suggest a compact fluorescent or LED might be just as good. What about overwinter temperature? The brightest room in the house happens to be occupied by my green iguana. It can get up to 80-90 degrees in winter at upwards of 50% humidity. I made the mistake one year of putting my orange tree in there till I found that it wanted cool temps. Didn't panic till all the leaves started to fall. H ah a.

I read that it's a water hog. I read that it wants a lot of fertilizer to bloom. Anyway. I'm all ears and eyes.

If there's a new thread on BOP somewhere please direct me to read it. I'm a novice but also in love with the flower and have wanted one for years.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

~Amanda

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012 5:04 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9317233

yes, he did, and somewhere I have a picture of it.. I know he also posted it on facebook. it was beautiful and took 18 years to bloom.. he has since moved to texas.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9317344

Well hey, Debra. It must be worth the wait.

Still need help!!! :)
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9317522

Mine has never bloomed. I guess I don't give it enough water. It's neglected!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9317557

I know someone in the propagation forum who has the white BOP and it blooms all the time. Pretty different from the orange variety I'd say.

I had been telling people I wanted the BOP and I kept getting weird seeds - you know how common names of plants are . . .. I think one turned out to be the pride of barbados. POB. Ha ha. That's another tropical I need help with. Grew them from seed, gave a few away and kept one. It's about 10" tall. I just brought it inside for the winter. It may need transplanting.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9317823

My orange one blooms every winter my white has never bloomed but never read up on why not. My white and orange both go in the solar room and get full sun when the sun shines here in the winter. In the summer I keep it in part shade because we have horrible hot summers. But don't follow what I do because mine has never bloomed but has big healthy leaves.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9318118

Well if your orange Strelizia blooms every winter then that's what I need to know.

That's the plant I have, not the white BOP.

Solar room/full sun.

What about temperature?

Humidity?

Do you water it/feed it?

It'll be my first winter with it so i have absolutely no clue.

thanks.

A.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9318228

Amanda, glad to hear you have the orange BoP not the white one. The orange ones will bloom nicely in a pot once they get really good and crowded. Yes, you need to give it as much sun as you can, but they do well with dry spells here in the spring and fall. Lots of water and heat in the summer, so outdoors where you are, full sun and lots of water and fert. They'll eventually fill a really big pot, of course. But let them get crowded before you pot up or they'll not bloom until the plant is huge.

With any of these tropicals, you just have to think about where they grow as natives, and try to give them as close to those conditions as you can. They grow in full sun in the ground here, in huge clumps. the bigger and more crowded the clump, the better they bloom. In winter they have variable weather, from lows in the 30's to highs in the 80's. I wouldn't feed and water them more than what they'd get in nature - probably water weekly, fertilize monthly on the light side through winter. Increase when you move it outside in late spring.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9318285

Don ( Tropicman) sent me the pics since I couldn't find them..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9318357

Ha ha 18 years is a long time to carry a plant around . . ...

Dyzzy - thanks for the info. I guess the room I would put it in with the most light gets pretty warm and would be more humid than the rest of the house.

I suppose I will just start it in there and see how it acts.

Any thoughts on leaf curl? Not like the leaves are very malleable so once they curl, they don't unfurl.

Thanks again - I won't expect this girl to bloom this year. Might have I suppose if I'd left it in the pot I initially had it in all summer.

A.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9318576

Mine curl up their leaves when the weather gets dry. They might smooth out when you get it inside in your humid room with the iguana. We'd love to see a picture of that!

As long as you have good drainage in the pot, there's really no fear of overwatering it if it's in warm conditions, so try watering it generously with warm-ish water for a few days after you bring it inside. The leaves may plump up and flatten out. These are not desert plants. Lots of tropicals furl their leaves to conserve moisture - my gingers do that, too.

I was commenting to Deb that I really think the white BoP's are not good pot plants. I have 4 huge clumps of them taking up a lot of room in my garden, and even though I cut out the tallest trunks each spring, by this time of year they're up there tangling in the power lines, and the trunks are 6in. thick. They like lots of water, lots of sun, and unless you have a sunny 3-story atrium, and a football team or a forklift at your disposal you're very quickly going to not be able to house or move the thing. It's also going to take you 18 years to see a flower . . . so if somebody offers you a pup, say 'no thanks' and run!

Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9318749

Amanda, funny mine have never bloomed in the summer but usually between November and January I will get blooms from my orange bird in the solar room. My room is not overly humid altho this year I am overwintering some pond plants in a big tub so that is helping with the humidity. Mine is very pot bound, and I am not good at fertilizing which I know I should. I am on well water and maybe there is enough left over fertilizer from the farmers I don't need to...rofl, scary thought. They do take more water, in fact it and my big white I do not have drainage holes in the bottom of those pots. Well kind of sad to hear the white won't ever bloom but I love it for its leaf anyway. I have it in a huge pot and I have a 55 gal drum roller to move it around that I picked up at a car swap meet. The guy who sold it to be for 15.00 asked if I knew what it was, he said it was to haul 55 gallon drums of oil and stuff, told him nope it is to haul really large tropicals in and out...he just shook his head...rofl
Would love to see tropicmans place since he moved south, I was lucky enough that Debra took me by his place in Wichita and I got to meet him and it was amazing! I thought I had a lot of tropicals but I have nothing compared to him.
Bestus of luck.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012

Post #9319734

here you go Happ!

Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9319735

And

Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman   Thumbnail by Tropicman      

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9320020

O geez. I just realized by logging into DG just now that the darned plant is still outside in this crazy weather. It'll be the coolest it's been overnight - 40 degrees tonight with chance of snow/icy rain in the morning. I guess I should get out there before I get too comfy. We've got some high winds and light rain/sprinkles, but no where near being impacted like they are farther up the coast.

Thanks for the advice. the plant has been outside all summer. I'm pleased that she grew such nice roots. I'll let her sit by the back door where it's cool so the shock of coming in isnt' so great. Not high heat in the house, it's nice and big and old and drafty. Ha ha. Still, we have it around 65 deg. Wonder if I throw a plastic bag over it if it will warm up more gradually. -sigh-

How did I forget that plant! I also have 3 tropical hibiscus out there on the side of the house.

Will keep you posted. This is one plant that Rita, my 4' long green iguana, may not be fat enough to crush or knock down. ;)

A.

ha ha - never did hit the "send" button. Plant is in the house. Temp didn't get down much past 40 overnight.

Crosspost with TropicMan - nice setup! Especially for your birds . I'm excited to have this plant. Thanks Elaine for the words of advice. ha ha

This message was edited Oct 30, 2012 10:19 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9320240

Why hi there tropicman! Really a nice setup to say the least and the 'real' birds how great is that. Hope everything is going good for you... let's see you probably have 100 tropicals to my 1 ratio...rofl. Course compared to my friends I look like I have a lot and when it comes to watering it feels like a lot. Gonna have to look at those pictures closer tonight and see all the wonderful plants you have.

Amanda I hate that when I am all comfee and warm and I realize I have to go rescue something I have forgotten in the elements...especially if I have taken a bath and in pj's, then stomping around out there I really wonder how nuts I am.. ;)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9320310

Oh yeah Happ - I'm definitely crazy. But that's just every day news. Ha ha ha.

The BOP is now in Rita's room. Temp in there is about 80 deg. with 49% humidity right now. I just didn't get why the leaves stayed curled up all summer, even the new ones. We'll see what happens over winter.

Her basking area (the iguana) has to be between 85 - 95 degrees. So the room always stays warm. It's a 24/7 job since not everything is automated. I check the temp and humidity several times a day, and it's always one of the things I do at night before bed OR in the middle of the night, stomping around after waking up to realize I'd forgotten to do something else.

Enjoy.

A.

p.s. This photo was taken in January or February while Rita was having her annual checkup.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9320378

When the leaves curl up just might be to shield themselves from too much sun,I was giving mine morning sun,and had a trumpet vine shading it the rest of the day,Rita needs to meet Rudy,but hes brown not green ,but looks like Rita,but then all lizards look the same to me!!!LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9320388

Howdy - the clump came to me in the spring from TX where I assume it suffered from whatever in its box, arriving in that condition. I did keep it shaded for awhile, then let it have part sun. I'll keep a closer watch on it now that she's inside. I'm excited about it and may just decide to let her stay indoors.

What kind of lizard is Rudy? Rita is my first, but my BF has had before - he has named every one of his lizards (gecko, anole, etc.) Rita. We went thru the likely/probable names for a lizard her size (she was a rescue at about 1 1/2 years of age like Godzilla . . ... Then he told me about his habit of naming lizards Rita (lovey meter maid!) and we are thankful she happened to turn out to be female! I understand males are very aggressive during breeding season, which is coming.

She merits her own room because of her size and special conditions. In fact, we picked this house to move into because it fit parameters for her sun requirements - had to have an east facing window. She lucked out because it also has a south facing window. Best room in the house if you ask me! Wall to wall carpet, as well as her own phone jack.

It's a challenge keeping plants in there, especially large ones, because she's arboreal, but that's all part of the fun. :)

Keep you posted on the bird.

A.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9320404

Rudy is a bearded dragon

Thumbnail by Tropicman

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9320566

AuntB's Beautiful bearded dragon died a few months ago... she was devastated..
I have an aquarium heater stick if anyone wants it. Son brought me home a used tank and stuff, but it is holding turtles instead of fish.. go figger...
Don, the white knight you gave me finally bloomed this year. I love it. Thanks!
how long do I have to wait on those night blooming eps to bloom you gave me? Or day blooming or what ever they are..
sheesh!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9320735

Night blooming,when there ready they will let you know!!!LOL
Mine just finished blooming,so spring would be my guess!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9320744

I think I know where that saying came from a face only a mom could love ... rofl they are curie's

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 3, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9323919

When I took my huge BOP in a month ago to the g'house, it had a bloom spike. Not bloomed yet, and I really need to check for any more. It had 12 at one time this past January. It is hideously pot-bound...in a 20 inch pot and needs to be divided. I don't think I can put it in a larger pot, I will have to hire my son with the 50 ton crane his boss has at the workplace. I have all I want to move it with a heavy-duty hand cart.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9325152

Congrats,I never got 12 blooms with mine,being pot bound makes it bloom more,I always waited until the roots broke the pot before I potted up.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 5, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9325160

The bottom of the pot gets concave and it won't sit right. LOL Hardly any soil around the top of the pot, it is all root/plant.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9325166

Dang hate to have my bird break the pot cause I really like the pot...rofl and it is probably the only pot I paid quite a bit of money on...rofl. Bet that was beautiful with those spikes, I would of been so excited.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 5, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9325226

Here is mine with the bloom spikes.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9325250

Anna that is beautiful and it is huge! geepers... Those spikes are incrediable! I would of been so excited to say the least, when my big ee's have a bloom my dh cracks up.

I see you are zone 4, I hope to do a greenhouse in the next year and it looks like you have a solid north wall? I am zone 5 and was curious if you had any tips for me and what you like or don't like since we are both snow birds...rofl. This will probably be my only shot at this greenhouse so want to do the best I can.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 5, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9325303

Happgarden...here is the story of our greenhouse project.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/365081/?hl=Greenhouse project

That will give you a good idea but I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9325457

Thank you Anna for the link, I love it.
I remember reading about that a million years ago...rofl. It is amazing, and I reread it all again. Doing all that and having cows and property and a life, you all were some pretty busy people that summer.

DH and I have built alot of things, and had to laugh about hiring someone to help... ;)
Wish I had a building left over like that. I saw a forum where someone took an old single car garage and turned it into a greenhouse/room.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2012 2:50 PM
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 5, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9325698

No cows anymore...well, not of our own. We have about 60 of the neighbors' here "boarding". LOL The Spousal Unit feeds them. And we do relief milking and chores for other farmers in the area. Good money in it. Still have the g'house in operation too. Still board large tropicals for other people.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9326015

Looks like Thanksgiving bloom time????
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9326030

Hm, I don't know. They take FOREVER to open. One thinks that they have to think about it before opening. LOL I would say more the beginning of Dec.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9335343

Anna_Z - what fun - that's a nice little operation you have going. Wish I could get paid for all the plant and animal relief I do in my neighborhood. Hah ah.

And Tropicman - your beardie is precious - I think they're adorable!

Wanted all to know that the BOP is doing very well. Leaves are not uncurling, but I looked at the square holes in the bottom of the pot I only just transplanted into a month or two ago and there are already roots to the bottom of this pot!!! I could not believe it, really, but she is growing like crazy.

She is close to a south facing window and gets a good blast of full sun for an hour or two with the low angle of the sun. The iguana's ambient temps read between 70-84ish and humidity is between 35%-65% on any given day (this is dependent on the heat in the room (high heat forces down humidity) so night time is usually higher)(currently have 2 humidifiers going - one is your basic cool humidifier from the drugstore and the other is a high end warm steam bought off ebay 3 or 4 years ago).

Rita needs this as she tends to stop eating/drinking in the winter as part of her reproductive cycle. Most lizards indoors live in a semi-chronic state of dehydration, I was told by my exotics vet at NCSU, so I try my best!

I don't know if I'll have blooms this winter, but it sure would be exciting. ;)

A.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 17, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9335402

My BOP has a 2nd bloom spike coming. And the other one will not be open by the beginning of Dec. I'm thinking Christmas probably is a good guess. I will let you know.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9335653

you all are going to make me want to buy a BOP dang it.. *sigh* the addiction continues.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9335895

Don't do it, Deb. They take years to get root-bound and big enough to bloom.

I had one of my huge 20ft. BoP clumps chopped down last week, my garden helper will be digging it out on Monday. This will give me room for lots more fun things that won't whap me in the face as I walk by!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9348742

Debra and I would have to cart our BOP in and out for winter anyway. Looking at the thing in Rita's room makes me think it might have to stay indoors always. It will become to big to remove from the room with a hand cart as you all describe!

If she were out in a greenhouse that'd be different.

Growing like crazy . . . at least one nice large paddle shaped leaf that is not curled. No complaints so far. Thanks for all your input. :)

A.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9348814

No blooms on my bop but it is a pretty plant. I so far have been carting it in and out, but there is nothing easy about it... and yes mine whacks me in the face everything I try to go out the patio doors...rofl.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 3, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9348822

My monstrosity up in the greenhouse has 2 buds. This is the varigated one, not the white one that will never bloom. LOL
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9352831

Need to post pics as it progresses..since I really will never have one..so l can live vicariously ...lol
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 8, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9352920

It opened a couple of days ago, so it should be nice at least through Christmas.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012

Post #9357177

How fun, I love blooms that last and last, it really makes it worth while.

Nothing on either of mine...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9361561

I'm perplexed by this bird. The new leaves coming out of each joint are not really tall, but they are very healthy. And they are still curled!!! :/

What the . . ..?!

It's warm and humid in that room and it has plenty of water. Does it need food? I read that it's a nutrient "hog", but that shouldn't make the leaves curl!!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9361838

Post a pic can you

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9427378

Bump.

I have decided that the roots to shoots ratio (?!) is off. I just bought a nice tall plastic pot to put her in, and I think once she has enough room her leaves will unfurl. :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9427595

Tropicman, are you sorry you missed our feets of snow...rofl.

Hope that works for you Amanda. Think mine have been in the same pots for ever. Maybe this summer I will get around to repotting mine.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9431246

looks like amarillo where Tropicman lives gets snow too!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9431344

Boy that is insult to injury...rofl. Move south and still get snow.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2013

Post #9438244

yep drifts to 6ft!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9438566

Wowzer there tropicman...I only got 4ft drifts across the driveway, me and my little car have to drive across the field to get to the main road...

Hope your greenhouses faired ok thru all of that...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9438978

true that, Don. Miss you guys!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9440558

Greenhouse almost collapsed!Had to put 4 center braces up to hold the roof up

Thumbnail by Tropicman

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9441048

Oh tropicman, good thing you noticed what was going on...good grief...I was afraid of something like that when you said you got that much snow. How are you heating?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9441349

oh dear, is it really sturdy now?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9441357

Ouch! :S

Tropicman :o) How good to see you posting!

I never did make it to the States, so much happened here, but am wondering how the plants that I had sent to you are doing? Are they still alive?
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9445592

Happ,I have 2 propane heaters,and a barrel wood stove to heat the greenhouse,stays above 60* at night.
Deb,yes it is safe now 4 new center poles to hold the roof up,it is very sturdy now.
Lilypon,sorry to say I lost them,not sure the reason as it was mid summer,they faired thru the winter time,but those 100* plus days was just too much for them,even when I moved them into the shade,leaves continued to fry,lost many palms as well due to the heat and sun as well.Living here in Bushland Texas is a lot different than Wichita Kansas,cool mornings and evenings and hot during the day,except no humidity and no dew points,very very dry,no matter how hard I work in the garden during hottest time of the day,never sweat at all...Now in Wichita you walk outside at 7am sweat just pops out on your fore head before you even do anything!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9445805

Are those normal temps for Bushland? or like us just a horrible horrible summer with lots of temps above 100 and yes lots of humidity...

Think I have decided the midwest has the worse of the worse as far as weather. Can be below 0, can be above 100, can be wet, can be dry, can be windy, can be calm, can change in a few hours...weather in the midwest is really unstable. It is amazing anything grows here. I heard we have summers like Georgia and winters like Minnesota...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9446439

I just want a continual season like I used to have in Oceanside, California.. nice all year around ... LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9446469

Dear Don, I am going to find someone to do this for me... look at this link and explore the mechanics of this solution to draught. Tell me what you think..
http://oasisdesign.net/greywater/divertervalves.htm

Miss you guys a ton..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9447458

Happ, that's one of the MAIN reasons I moved to Florida - nice weather 95% of the time. I don't live in hurricane alley, but at times, it drops to 40 for a few hours. I rough it through those rare times!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9447937

rofl...Kay I sure feel for you in Panama City... LOL You are in a beautiful place, I have been there and then the beaches were amazing. Didn't realize hurricanes were rarer there. Maybe I should move south with you... ;)

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9447981

I would love to have you move here!!!! Prices are on a parallel with Kansas City, Mo. prices!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 13, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9448651

Ah well I'm glad it had a happy, though short life, with you Don.

I went through your posts and saw the Clock Vine blooming so was very happy to see that. :) Now I know I'd have an awful time growing it here.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9453305

Texas like Kansas wait 5 minutes and the weather will change!!!LOL
Will get back with you Deb!
Lilypon,I think to grow the real exotics,you just have to live there,even greenhouses just ain't the same as the real thing!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9453308

Deb,how to you plan to filter the bad chemicals that might harm your plants?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9454196

the sand cloth and charcol filter seems easy to me.. but there are lots of other ways, using root systems .. look here...
http://www.greywater.com/ go to the samples picture link.. you will be amazed..
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9461203

initial start up cost will be costly,but over time will pay off,would definitely cut your expenses on bug control and fertilizing!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America