Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Jelly repair

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spredndjoy
Laguna Niguel, CA

October 28, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5726680

I made a batch of grape jelly which came out more like a thick grape molasses. Does anyone know of a way to get it back to a jelly like consistency?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 28, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5727026

Sounds like it needed more pectin. But I'll bet it makes great pancake or waffle syrup.
spredndjoy
Laguna Niguel, CA

October 30, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5731546

I checked further and only one jar came out as " grape molasses." So I made a batch of vanilla ice-cream and when it finished I made grape swirls throughout it with the one jar and it is the best grape swirl ice-cream imaginable.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5731575

now thats using your head for a quick fix... Wish I was closer as I might be at your door step for a sample...LOL

Janet
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2008
6:23 AM

Post #5732381

Unless they're terribly overripe grapes have plenty of natural pectin and don't need the commercial kind.

Jelly/marmalade can take up to 6 weeks on the shelf to set, so an unset jar in a batch isn't necessarily an indication that it won't eventually firm up.

You can re-cook the jelly to bring it to the set point but there's a risk the jelly will end up tasting caramelized and less fresh, so really your method of swirling it through ice cream is by far the better option.

Carol
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5757554

I had the same problem making mulberry jelly.
But I think mine didn't get as thick because I wouldn't use all the sugar that it called for. Way too much sugar.
So instead we have mulberry syrup for waffles and pancakes :-)
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5757727

This is going to sound weird or counter-intuitive, but jams with commercial pectin have much more sugar than traditional jams without it.

It's like a self-perpetuating cycle. The commercial pectin helps set the jam but needs more sugar to work.

Ironically, unless you're looking at a reduced-sugar pectin or something like Pomona pectin (which could jell water), you will have better luck reducing sugar in a jam that doesn't use the commercial sort.

Carol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America