Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Jelly repair

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spredndjoy
Laguna Niguel, CA

October 28, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5726680

I made a batch of grape jelly which came out more like a thick grape molasses. Does anyone know of a way to get it back to a jelly like consistency?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 28, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5727026

Sounds like it needed more pectin. But I'll bet it makes great pancake or waffle syrup.
spredndjoy
Laguna Niguel, CA

October 30, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5731546

I checked further and only one jar came out as " grape molasses." So I made a batch of vanilla ice-cream and when it finished I made grape swirls throughout it with the one jar and it is the best grape swirl ice-cream imaginable.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5731575

now thats using your head for a quick fix... Wish I was closer as I might be at your door step for a sample...LOL

Janet
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2008
6:23 AM

Post #5732381

Unless they're terribly overripe grapes have plenty of natural pectin and don't need the commercial kind.

Jelly/marmalade can take up to 6 weeks on the shelf to set, so an unset jar in a batch isn't necessarily an indication that it won't eventually firm up.

You can re-cook the jelly to bring it to the set point but there's a risk the jelly will end up tasting caramelized and less fresh, so really your method of swirling it through ice cream is by far the better option.

Carol
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5757554

I had the same problem making mulberry jelly.
But I think mine didn't get as thick because I wouldn't use all the sugar that it called for. Way too much sugar.
So instead we have mulberry syrup for waffles and pancakes ^_^
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5757727

This is going to sound weird or counter-intuitive, but jams with commercial pectin have much more sugar than traditional jams without it.

It's like a self-perpetuating cycle. The commercial pectin helps set the jam but needs more sugar to work.

Ironically, unless you're looking at a reduced-sugar pectin or something like Pomona pectin (which could jell water), you will have better luck reducing sugar in a jam that doesn't use the commercial sort.

Carol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America