Photo by Melody

Article: Itís Time to Plant Garlic and Shallots!: when to plant in zone 4b

Communities > Forums > Article: Itís Time to Plant Garlic and Shallots!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Itís Time to Plant Garlic and Shallots!Replies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5729175

Hi,

I planted some garlic, shallots and onions very late this summer and they still aren't ready to harvest. Can I leave them in the ground over winter and harvest them next spring or early summer?

Interesting article!

MollyD

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5729226

You may have a problem if they have formed bulbs already but aren't full size. I'd leave them in the ground if they aren't large enough to harvest (at least the garlic and shallots) and would go to waste anyway.

How the garlic will grow in spring might give you some interesting results, as each newly-formed garlic clove may try to make a head and they are all scrunched up together in the space for one head. If your soil is very loose, you might be okay.

I cannot help with the onions as I never grow them (except for a few spring onions). The shallots and garlic chould be mulched over winter in your zone... just be sure to remove it when it warms up next year.

~darius
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5729343

Thanks!

Yes the soil there is very loose. This was a new bed just made this summer using goat manure. I planted the garlic around the perimeter of the bed (mostly flowers) as a deterrent to rabbits. It's suppose to discourage them :-) but we also expected to eat the garlic when it was ready!
The shallots and onions are in the same bed but a different area. Plenty of room all around them to grow into. I will mulch them as soon as the ground has frozen so rodents don't dine off them all winter!

Thank you,
MollyD
scotlandbrook
Lisbon, NH
(Zone 3b)

November 3, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5747080

OK, I am in zone 4b. I just put my garden to bed with the soil well amended. I am interested in planting garlic and shallots. Is this the appropriate time following the instructions above?
Carol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5747376

Carol, either plant garlic/shallots immediately, or wait until next year. They need a bit of time to establish a root system before the ground freezes...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Itís Time to Plant Garlic and Shallots! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Garlic phicks 16 May 11, 2009 5:18 PM
Looks good... Sundownr 0 Nov 1, 2008 6:15 AM
Happy Birthday, Darius pajaritomt 1 Nov 3, 2008 1:22 AM
Thought they would decompose. Ludesia 1 Oct 20, 2009 5:35 AM
Dart's Gold ninebark scotlandbrook 1 Apr 10, 2010 6:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America