Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Wheat - you can live without it!: Very interesting!

Communities > Forums > Article: Wheat - you can live without it!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Wheat - you can live without it!Replies: 9, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5729392

Great information, Carrie, thanks for putting it all together in an easy to understand article.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5729467

I'm glad you found it easy to understand, this could have been chapter one of an encyclopedia for me! Thanks, but I'm still figuring it all out. ^_^
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 29, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5730337

Great article! We can all use more variety in our diets, anyway, but for people who have this condition, it's very helpful. Our health food store deli/bakery has a lot of 'alternative' items available and I often try their wheat free baked goods. I'm sure going to try those cookies!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5730371

Good luck! Once you get addicted to them . . . well, you're addicted! Thanks for your comment.
britbrighton
Ancram, NY

October 29, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5731100

Nine people in my family have Celiac (children and adults) and three good friends and their children as well. We find it easier to live the diet because we support each other. When we host a party it is always GF (gluten free); too bad for the minority regulars in our family. Before our diagnosis we were all avid bakers and we have been experimenting with gluten-free baking/cooking for nearly 14 years. I don't know where you get your enthusiasm from. Our family has ridden the wave of hope and we all feel sunk. I spend an absolute FORTUNE on gf foods, mixes, flours; especially for my kids who can't get a regular school lunch because Celiac is a long way from being recognized in the lunchroom. Their lunches cost about $5 a piece to make, whereas a typical school bought lunch is $1.75 a day. All you regulars should feel lucky you don't have to explain to your kids why you can't buy them gluten-free mock-cheerios because it is a whopping $7.25 a box as opposed to regular Cheerios at 1/4 of that price.
Besides the exorbitant dead-lock on GF prices that rival gasoline these days Gluten Free food will just NEVER compare to wheat foods. GF baked goods are tolerable at best but the worst is the pizza. A Gluten-Free pizza is an insult to the taste buds...that I can't recover from. Everything else about the diet, I can deal with. Yes, you can live without wheat but realistically its no joyride. Carrie, I do intend on trying those recipes and I thank you, (however pessimistic I am) for writing the article. We NEED more people to understand about this disease and the diet! :)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2008 5:44 PM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 29, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5731166

It's easy for me to talk, since I don't HAVE to eat the GF foods and I don't have children. I have no doubt it's as difficult as you say, britbrighton, and those prices sound awful. This is not a cheap resource, either, but you might find something you like - I've liked everything of tried from them (I wait for sales - at least shipping should be less for you!): http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?select=C76&byCategory=C454

Now, I'm going to have to make amendments to that cookie recipe because of the butter - but lessening fat is no big deal anymore. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5731277

Well, I'm not COMPLETELY optimistic; she went off to college living in a house with 2 other wheat-eaters, and all of a sudden when it was her shelling out $5.99 for a loaf of GF bread vs. $1 for a loaf of normal bread, she fell off the wagon. And promptly got a canker sore the size of Alaska and didn't feel well. (Maybe not asymptomatic anymore?)

But I still think if you stay away from processed food, you might be ok. I don't know what to tell your kids though. This is not, by any means, the definitive treatise on living GF - but a lot of folks are blogging about it these days, with exciting recipes, very few of which I've tried. I read a whole blog on GF breakfast!

Do you eat hot cereal at your house? Try cooking buckwheat like oatmeal, add nuts, raisins, cinnamon, chocolate chips, brown sugar, butter, cream, applesauce, dried fruit, whatever. You can cook quinoa the same way.

Good luck!!!!! My best to all CD folk out there - it is certainly no fun, to say the least.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5731284

Also Amazon occasionally has good prices on bulk amounts of GF stuff. (!)
britbrighton
Ancram, NY

October 30, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5731713

I LIVE off of buckwheat. It is a nice fortified breakfast. The hardest is the kids though. At school there are the mom's who bring in cupcakes for birthdays that they can't have :( pizza parties :( doughnut breakfasts :( all those little things that make me feel sorry for my kids! So my kids will watch while the rest of the class eats these great things...thats what makes me so upset. They do like the things I make at home, thank goodness. On the positive side, I couldn't have healthier kids on all this organic food! We are definitely going to do the bulk thing. It saves me the headache of shopping!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 31, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5735385

Just posted a GF (I hope) cookie recipe http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918695/
My DH loves meringues - perhaps the kids would like this one.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Wheat - you can live without it! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Article phicks 0 Oct 29, 2008 2:45 PM
excellent article! roybird 4 Nov 3, 2008 4:56 PM
celiac-sprue krfleet 1 Nov 4, 2008 9:27 AM
Complete recipe? Patriciajoy54 1 Nov 4, 2008 10:20 PM
Me too! lortay 3 Jan 22, 2009 7:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America