Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

PlantFiles Pictures: Kalwerbossie, Rabassam, South African Geranium (Pelargonium sidoides)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5730963

Kalwerbossie, Rabassam, South African Geranium
Pelargonium sidoides

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76764/

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #5735872

Perfect shot of this beauty!
I have had this plant for years now in my garden, it is one tough little thing, in the ground with 1/2 day sun, gets ignored yet keeps on going!
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5740151

Thanks honey! I'm hesitant to leave it outside - our 17 may do it in. It goes into the green house for winter.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5742450

Eeek, yes, that may be a bit too cold. You need to move!
southcherry
Long Beach, CA

February 14, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6139390

I use this as ground cover in Long Beach, CA. It forms nice, large clumps but it doesn't seem invasive (so far--in the ground 3 years from a cutting, so far). It works as a xeriscape planting because it's very drought tolerant, likes the beach humidity and salt air, and tolerates both our 90 degree and 40 degree days. (Long Beach is same climate as South Africa).

Easy to propagate by clipping the babies, just like the spider plant. My original came from a soft wood cutting, and it took a lot of failures before I got one that rooted. All the babies rooted, so now I have lots of them. Drop the baby on moist soil and forget it for a few weeks, it will take off. I don't fertilize.

Supposedly the roots have an excellent antibiotic quality, and the plant has almost been wiped out of S. Africa by poor people who harvest it for the drug industry. I'm thinking about trying to farm the stuff because it really is easy to grow, doesn't seem to attract aphids, whiteflies, slugs, or spidermites (knock on wood) that everything else suffers from. Maybe it's that substance in the roots that is repelling them. Sort of an unknown plant, but seems to have lots of desirable traites.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America