Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Kalwerbossie, Rabassam, South African Geranium (Pelargonium sidoides)

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Perfect shot of this beauty!
I have had this plant for years now in my garden, it is one tough little thing, in the ground with 1/2 day sun, gets ignored yet keeps on going!

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks honey! I'm hesitant to leave it outside - our 17 may do it in. It goes into the green house for winter.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Eeek, yes, that may be a bit too cold. You need to move!

Long Beach, CA

I use this as ground cover in Long Beach, CA. It forms nice, large clumps but it doesn't seem invasive (so far--in the ground 3 years from a cutting, so far). It works as a xeriscape planting because it's very drought tolerant, likes the beach humidity and salt air, and tolerates both our 90 degree and 40 degree days. (Long Beach is same climate as South Africa).

Easy to propagate by clipping the babies, just like the spider plant. My original came from a soft wood cutting, and it took a lot of failures before I got one that rooted. All the babies rooted, so now I have lots of them. Drop the baby on moist soil and forget it for a few weeks, it will take off. I don't fertilize.

Supposedly the roots have an excellent antibiotic quality, and the plant has almost been wiped out of S. Africa by poor people who harvest it for the drug industry. I'm thinking about trying to farm the stuff because it really is easy to grow, doesn't seem to attract aphids, whiteflies, slugs, or spidermites (knock on wood) that everything else suffers from. Maybe it's that substance in the roots that is repelling them. Sort of an unknown plant, but seems to have lots of desirable traites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.