Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Wheat - you can live without it!: excellent article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Wheat - you can live without it!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Wheat - you can live without it!Replies: 4, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

October 30, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5732076

This is such a timely article for me as two of my good friends were recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. Your straight forward and practical way of changing your cooking/eating habits is most informative. Thank you!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5733807

I wish it were all true - I just fielded a call from my DD who is finding it difficult to spend $6 for GF bread instead of 99 cents for ordinary bread and has sort of fallen off the wagon. Apparently her celiac disease is getting MORE symptomatic, as she's feeling crappy, and all of the other bad symptoms are worse. So she's giving away her macaroni-n-cheese and going back on the rice-n-beans.

But... thank you for reading and for writing! I am always happy to hear from readers, especially after hearing from children, AKA young adults.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

October 31, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5735364

My understanding is that it is very difficult for many people to stay on the wheat free diet. I can only imagine how "young adults" might behave. I think what happens is that it is so easy to cheat when feeling better. And then the symptoms come back. I have a friend who is 56 years old and has been dealing with it since she was in her 20's. With lots of ups and downs. Hang in there!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5736814

Thanks, as if I could do it myself! who really knows?

It turned out that DD#1 had food poisoning yesterday, and ended up in the ER getting rehydrated! So yesterday when she felt "icky" and was throwing away all her cheap gluten, she was making all kinds of vows not to eat wheat again. today, who knows?

Thanks for your good wishes!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

November 3, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5747528

I am finding this thread so interesting - I am 61 and was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago, after suffering for 20 years. I was diagnosed in London while working there. Other countries are much more aware of this condition than we are. It is important to know that celiac untreated greatly raises the change of developing certain cancers and non-hodgkins lymphoma. It is crucial to stick to the gluten free diet! I have recently found recipes for cakes, etc that are gluten free and no longer struggle unless I am in a restaurant. Beware of all the things that have hidden gluten - there are many websites to help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Wheat - you can live without it! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting! cathy4 9 Oct 31, 2008 2:27 AM
Article phicks 0 Oct 29, 2008 2:45 PM
celiac-sprue krfleet 1 Nov 4, 2008 9:27 AM
Complete recipe? Patriciajoy54 1 Nov 4, 2008 10:20 PM
Me too! lortay 3 Jan 22, 2009 7:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America