More birds from Down Under

PERTH, Australia

I hope you'll enjoy looking at the birds I'm seeing locally.

DH and I went to a large wetland area known as Herdsman's Lake a few days ago. It is three and a half square kilometres in size and never completely dries out in summer. The bird life there was amazing. The first bird we saw when we got there was a Rainbow Bee Eater. My aim this summer is to get some really good shots of this incredibly beautiful little bird that migrates to southern Western Australia from the northern part of the state to breed. It nests in holes in firm sandy embankments.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This is a shot of one of the many nest holes in a big, artificial sand hill, obviously there from when the lake is dredged. Dredging equipment was nearby.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

There were Cormorants all over the dredge, drying in the sun.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Now Margaret, the bee eater is one beautiful bird. You know how I find the Aussie wildlife so fascinating. Well done. Lee

PERTH, Australia

Thanks Lee. They really are beautiful birds. When seen in flight, the underside of their wings is the most exquisite coral colour.

There were White Ibis extracting tasty morsels from the mud. This is a small group preening themselves at the edge of a stream. The other birds in the stream were ducks and coots.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I'm not certain what these two birds are but they were at the beginning of a stand off. The smaller bird on the left had a yellow beak and whitish eyes; the other, larger bird had a blackish beak and green between its eyes and the base of its bill.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

I cann only imagine the color of the Rainbow Bee Eaters. Ibis are interesting birds. I remember reading in elementary school about a Scarlet Ibis. Have always remembered that. I find the ducks and coots interesting. You are certainly expanding our knowledge of Aussie birds and wildlife. Please, do continue. Lee

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

yes, it does appear as if they are in a stand off. what was the outcome? Lee

PERTH, Australia

A bit tetchy

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

It escalated to a pretty impressive display. Focus isn't sharp. Pity.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Black beak had greater bluffability and the other one flew off into a nearby tree. I managed to get a shot of that one a little closer and will post that one next.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Here it is in the tree.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Heavily cropped for detail.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

I see now the outcome. Margaret are they herons? or Egrets? Lee

PERTH, Australia

Lee, I'm not sure and will rely on Resin's good nature to ID them. I think the larger bird may be a Great Egret.

Willie Wagtails, those plucky little birds that harass the Ospreys will attempt to chase anyone or anything away from their nest. The pair who had this nest gave themselves away by their behaviour. I could zero in on the nest by their increasing belligerence which would ease off if I moved away from it. I took only one shot as I didn't want to distress them. They use spiders web to anchor the nest to the branch.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Another shot. I have no idea if it was the same bird as the area is so bushy in parts that it is impossible to keep track of a bird's movements.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

A pair of Crested Grebes were displaying. The weather turned dark and windy at the same time and I couldn't get a decent shot, but they were wonderful to watch.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This will give an idea of how windy it was. Hard to have a good feather day in weather like that.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Herdsman's Lake is about five kilometres from the city. That isn't smog, it's misty because of salt driven wind.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Margaret, I love the one of the bird which is on the branch. For some reason, It reminded me of me, somewhat anxious or something. Now, the 'good feather day' had me laughing til the tears were running down each cheek. Haven't laughed like that in months. You have made my day and it beats the heck out of a pain pill.
Do cont to educate and make me laugh. Lee

PERTH, Australia

Mountain Shelducks, Pacific Black Ducks and a Black Swan sheltering from the wind in the bullrushes.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I'll do my darndest, Lee.

An Australian White Ibis in flight (duh).

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Another shot of the Ibis.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Just a few of the Ibis. I didn't see any Straw Necked Ibis that day. Plenty more opportunities before the place becomes riddled with Tiger Snakes.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Nankeen Kestrel.  These little birds of prey are fairly common around Perth.  I often see them hovering above the embankment at the ocean.  It was so windy I was having difficulty holding the camera steady and this bird was blown off the pole several times.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Same bird in flight.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I've never seen as many Swamphens as I saw that day. They were uncharacteristically flighty (intended). This one's saying "I'm outa here". So am I. For now.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Hi Margaret, Wonderful pics! I believe your egret with the yellow bill is a Great Egret and the black billed one is a Little Egret. Check this site and see if you agree.

http://dl.id.au/g.php?c=1&f=150

Pelle

PERTH, Australia

Thanks Pelle. Yep, I agree that the yellow billed one is the Great Egret. The only difference with the other one is that the area between the eye and the bill was very green. The closer shots I got were so appallingly blurry, I deleted them in disgust. I've just zoomed in and cropped one of the shots I posted. It's at about 3 million percent so the quality is really off, but hopefully the green can be seen.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
South Hamilton, MA

Great pictures Margaret. Lucy

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Margaret, you are a gem by posting all these picx. All of the birds are so interesting. Lee

Marlton, NJ

Here we are Margaret; still a Great Egret.

http://dl.id.au/g.php?c=1&i=54

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh Marg! Your pictures are spectacular! I cannot wait to see them in person ;o) Eliza is going to have such a good time. LOL

PERTH, Australia

Thanks Pelle. You're brilliant. Spot on and thanks for the ID's.

I'm glad you're enjoying them Lucy and Lee. There'll be lots more to come in the weeks ahead.

Kim, Eliza will have a ball. We've got a 7,000 litre koi pond out front and my pet chicken will enjoy the company. She'll be as happy as Larry.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh boy. A swimming area and a friend?! We better start pricing plane tickets ;o)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They're both Great Egrets; black bill is a breeding bird, yellow bill is a non-breeder (immature, or failed). The bill and face patch just colour up for the display and early part of the breeding season, by late summer both will have yellow bills.

Resin

South Hamilton, MA

No wonder they were having a staring match.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, sort of "Get out of my patch!"

Resin

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That is very interesting Resin.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey duckmother, maybe we can get seats on the same plane! I so wish I could join on one of those photos trips.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.