Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Orb Spider? What kind?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Leeney4
Calabasas, CA

November 2, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #5742301

Saw this beauty and just had to know what it was. It loves to make a web between our pool equipment and a nearby bush - not the best of locations for a lasting web. Do you know too if they re-use the web or do they make a new one daily? I try not to disturb the web if I don't have to but it gets tricky to maneuver sometimes. I took both overhead and underside photos and had to use a pink background for one. In some photos you can see the legs look particularly "hairy" and jointed. It was probably about the size of my thumb and we live in So. California. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Leeney4
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Leeney4
Calabasas, CA

November 2, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5742303

Here is the underside of the spider...

Thumbnail by Leeney4
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

November 2, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5742850

This is a female orb-weaving spider (family Araneidae) in the genus Araneus. There are at least 12 species in this genus reported from California; several of these have roughly similar color patterns and a positive i.d. may require dissection and examination under a microscope. See http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/orb_weavers_genus_araneus for some examples.
Leeney4
Calabasas, CA

November 3, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5747450

Thanks suunto for the orb link. Someone else said it might be a potato spider. Is that an orb spider sub-set or a whole other group? Also, anyone know how long they use their webs? Are they daily weavers?
suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

November 3, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5747790

Some (but not all) orb-weaving spiders will 'recycle' their web; eating the remains of the old web before spinning a new one, often on a daily basis. I have no idea as to the specific identity of the orb weaver called a 'potato spider (see http://www.flowers.vg/flowers/spider-potato.htm); just for the record, the orange morph of Araneus trifolium sometimes is called a pumpkin spider.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America