Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: christmas cactus

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 16, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
morg708
McDonald, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5744263

when is the best time to transplant a christmas cactus? Where is the best place to keep it at this time?

This message was edited Nov 2, 2008 3:40 PM

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5745137

Over the past several months Ive received several inquires regarding Christmas cactus. The most often asked question was how I can get them to bloom.
Here are a few tips on how to ensure that you Christmas cactus will provide blooms for the holidays.

Use a sterilized potting soil that contains sand. They like well drained soil.

Dont over water, too much water causes the roots to rot. The most common mistake with houseplants is over watering.

This plant is native to Brazil, it prefers warm temperatures. Keep the plant between 70 and 80 degrees away from drafts.

Shorten the daylight period to between 9 and 10 hours daily. It needs between 14-15 hours of UNINTERUPPTEDF darkness at a temperature between 55 and 60 degrees. A fruit cellar or closet on an outside wall should provide this environment. The ideal time to begin this is the first day of autumn. If you begin now you should be ok and see blooms around New Years.

Move the plant to a sunny location after 10-12 weeks of this treatment and wait for the blooms to appear.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5745978

I take mine outside in late spring and keep them out all summer and just bring them inside away from a window the first of September for a month than put them in a sunny window. Mine are just starting to put out buds.
Vickie
morg708
McDonald, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5746169

Mine is starting to bud now too, but I think it needs to be put in a larger pot. Can I transplant it now?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #5746211

I'd wait untill they quit blooming. I've repotted and separated mine in the spring and they've done well.
morg708
McDonald, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5746256

Cando 1 Thanks so much for your help
camankin
Garfield, AR

November 3, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5746527

I've just been given 5 cactus. They are all blooming. One has limbs that are about 4 feet long! Do you think I should cut these off or let that keep growing? The man that gave them to me said he had the for about 22 years!
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

November 3, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5746603

I agree with above, repot it once it has finished flowering, you may loose all of the flowers before hand. We keep the one we have indoors, it sits on a North(ish) facing windowsil all year round. We are in Zones 8 or 9...but I wouldn't trust putting it outside since it is pretty cold at times, but other people do all the time. The first one we had must have been about 25 years old, and then it eventually died, it's my mams plant and she has replaced it since but the replacements don't seem to do so well :-(
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5792673

camakin,
Think i'd just about kill to see a fourfoot long christmas cactus.LOL It must be truely beautiful. What color is it?
camankin
Garfield, AR

November 15, 2008
10:35 AM

Post #5793093

Red! It's blooming now in his basement. I've got to move them in the next few week because he is moving.
I'll try to take a picture before I do.
JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 15, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5794070

Here are my Christmas cactus -- they always bloom about this time of the year. They stay in our sunroom year round and begin to set their buds in October.

Thumbnail by JeanK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JeanK
Deland, FL & Hot Spr, AR

November 15, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5794081

The white one. When we lived in Illinois, they were taken outside in the summer and brought in the house after setting buds. They opened around Christmas there.

Thumbnail by JeanK

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5794409

Mine wasn't blooming, so I googled around and found this site:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/xmascctus.htm
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5794469

I copied this some years ago.
Propagation

Shady conditions or filtered light are necessary for Christmas cactus to thrive. You can force bloom by setting the plant in a coolish (60 to 65 degrees F) location, where the light is low but not absent during the day. Do this soon for Christmas bloom. Do not let the soil dry completely, but water infrequently to keep the soil just moist. Watch for signs of buds at the ends of the leaves, and increase humidity and light when they appear. If buds appear too soon, hold them back by reducing the temperature.
The Christmas Cactus is easily propagated by taking short Y-shaped cuttings of the stem tips. A well-tended cactus will reach unmanageable size in time. To root cuttings for new plants, cut back shoots from the tips, cut at the second joint of each tip. Place cuttings in a moist peat and perlite, or peat and sand mixture. Water sparingly at first to prevent rotting of cuttings. After two or three weeks, water as you would any other cutting. When cuttings are rooted, pot them in a very loose mixture of good potting soil.

Re-potting
Plants should be re-potted every two or three years, or whenever pot is filled with roots and the soil appears to be depleted of nutrients. Christmas cactus usually is re-potted in the spring, but a plant which is unhealthy because of the root system can be re-potted at any time of the year.

I'm getting a few buds.

Thumbnail by rentman

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
8:22 AM

Post #5800034

JulieQ,
Thanks for the link. A great site for info. I was amazed at how old a lot of these plants get. Talk about a lifetime gift.
sasha10
Valsolda
Italy
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6057245

Last year around October I took my Christmas Cactus outside and fed it almost every time I watered it (about once a week). By November the plant was covered in buds and had grown significantly. The outdoor temperature should be about 20 to 5C. In the beginning of December I brought the plant in and you could hardly see the foilage it had so many flowers! I am looking for a photo of it and when I find one I will post it.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6075223

I bought another CC after Christmas(a white one) Guess i'll have to start collecting them. I wonder is there varigated or exotic ones?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America