Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: bugs?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5747082

I get these on my brugs and have no idea what they are? I know the picture isn't great but maybe someone has an idea what these are an if they are harmful.

Thumbnail by robinz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5749048

if you disturb them, do they fly? it looks like whitefly to me.
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5751215

No, I can't detect any movement at all, even with a magnifying glass. I can't see any wings or anything. I almost wonder if they aren't egg casings or something like that.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5751223

I was guessing they are the shed skins of aphids, but you probably would notice the aphids.
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5755120

I think you've nailed it because, I've got aphids. I've finally got them under control. I had no idea they shed their skins. Ick!

Thanks
Marilynww
Homosassa, FL

November 11, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5778645

I agree it's white flies. If you touch them with a fingernail (I know you don't want to) they will fly or at least move. They are all over the leaves, mostly on the underside, of my confederate rose bush. The old home remedy of a soap (without grease cutter) and water solution sprayed on the leaves will kill the bugs and not harm the environment. If the solution will not stick to the leaves, add a tiny bit of cooking oil so it will stick. My preference thought is to let the LADY BUGS eat the white flies if they aren't too busy eating aphids!
robinz
PNW, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #5785272

Well, actually no matter what they are they are gone. I've started vacuuming my brugmasias. I know it sounds weird but I suck up so many aphids and other things and I don't have to use pesticides, especially in the winter in my house. I started about a week ago and I'm really getting a handle on the aphids and whatever else I had in here. I've also started using a humidifier in hopes it will help keep the mites away. We shall see. I just know that the leaf drop on my plants is slowing down considerably.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America