Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Snow Seeds: Pumpkin Seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Snow Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snow SeedsReplies: 1, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IrisUniverse
Twinsburg, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5747451

I have become entrhalled with collecting seeds from my garden this year.

When my son carved his pumpking recently and my wife had me clean a cooking pumpkin, i just had to have the seeds from both pumpkins. I decided to clean the orange residue off the seeds by putting them in a bowl of water and then pulling out the orange strands (pumpkin guts) and eventually straining it all in a coffee grounds strainer.

Question: Did I inadvertently add moisture to the seeds? DId the seeds absord some of the water? HOw long do I have to wait for them to dry before I can put them in a seed container; ie. an old medicine bottle, with a air tight cover? Do I run the risk of any mold developing if I don't wait long enough for them to dry thoroughly? Yet I don't want them to totally dehydrate either I imagine.

Looking for advice.

Thanks,

Iris
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5747489

Iris,
Think of the pumpkin seeds that end up loose on the ground. It goes through a winter of rain/ snow/and maybe other weather conditions, but it returns with vigor the next growing season with no help from anybody. They are pretty resilient.

It depends, I think, on how long they soaked in the water,,,too much and the skin covering the seed might split, and that would be a problem. If you just rinsed them off, then they probably will be OK, particularly since they have been imbedded inside the moist pumpkin.

I think I would put them on a layer of paper towels, and just let them dry in a cool dry place, a garage, attic, top of the fridge, then later when you think about it, check to see if the paper towel is bone dry, maybe a month or so, then store them.

You've got the right idea, though...when I don't know a definite answer, I usually search the net till I find it, or just do what I said above, think of what happens when seeds are exposed to the elements for a winter, and whether or not they end as in a new seedling.

Good luck with your pumpkin patch next year, let me know how it grows!
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snow Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Another article to make us smile! KyWoods 9 Nov 13, 2008 4:01 PM
lol Kathleen 1 Nov 2, 2008 6:11 PM
Kindered Souls..... Gitagal 7 Nov 3, 2008 3:46 PM
Seeds of friendship Hemophobic 2 Nov 2, 2008 11:47 PM
Great Article roserairie 2 Nov 2, 2008 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America