Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Flowers from yard to vase - fall and winter series

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 185, Views: 891
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5747989

Continuation of http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/847523/
which was getting too long

To recap - One of my main goals is to have cut flowers from my garden on a year-round basis. The bonus comes in when the flowers provide beauty to the garden and can be brought indoors to provide joy there. It is often hard to tell from catalogs what plants may look like in the yard, and how they would behave as cut flowers. So, I would love to see what works in your garden. Fall and winter are especially hard to find flowers for arrangements. But I have seen many creative ways of making arrangements with non-traditional materials and am looking forward to seeing all of your ideas.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 11:34 AM

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 11:36 AM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5748913

One of the mainstays in my fall garden is the white Japanese anenome above which was posted in the original thread. Amongst the fall flowering bulbs, I like the Nerine bowdenii. I have two different varieties - a lighter pink one shown here.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5748916

and a darker pink one.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5748921

They make great cut flowers and last a long time. They can bloom anywhere from mid-October to the beginning of December in my zone, depending on where you plant them and how much sun they get. I let them overwinter in the ground.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 4, 2008
8:53 AM

Post #5750225

Hi Dianne, Thanks for the new thread. What lovely Nerines! They are such a pretty flower. You still have lots of flowers
Which is great. I have a few of the dark pink ones but for some sluggy reason only 1 flower appeared this year!
I like the way you have grouped both colours together in your stylish container, lovely shape!
I will try to find something in the garden to join in your thread! Thanks, great job.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5752734

Hi Terri - I like that comment "sluggy" reason LoL... One of the perks of working in a lab is the variety of glassware that you come across.
Looking forward to seeing what you find in your garden this time of the year.

My ginger bloom time was weird this year - normally the Hedycium coronarium (white ginger) blooms first (Sept/Oct) and then the H. gardneranum (yellow ginger) blooms a little later (Oct to as late as Nov). This year, I got the reverse. the yellow ginger started blooming in August, peaked in September for the ones shaded areas, with one or two scraggly blooms now. Here is a pic of one of my yellow ginger clusters. They are in the same spot, but one stalk is dried up, one is opening, and the third is about two weeks from opening. So, in order to get enough stalks to make an arrangement, I planted these gingers in three different places in my yard.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2008 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5752749

But, the blooms are so spectacular, that even if you only have one, you can still use it. The smell is not as powerful as the white ginger, but is still a very delightful fragrance.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5756296

The white butterfly ginger, Hedycium coronarium, is the flowering ginger that most people are familiar with. It is the classic scent for perfumes. In the hot Sacramento Valley, however, the plant itself suffers from the heat and the leaves are often scorched. I have this in my backyard, partially hidden behind a brick planter. In the tropics and cooler areas, it would be a much prettier landscape plant. If you look closely at the flowers, the spent flowers tend to cling onto the flowering head.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5756298

But, if you pick off the dead flowers, and leave the fresher ones, it pretties up nicely. Each individual flower lasts about a day or two, but each head can have up to 10 or more flowers.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5756330

And finally, if you group a bunch of them together, it gives off a wonderful scent. Somebody, way back, had asked about using white butterfly ginger as cut flowers. So, I would say yes, it is possible, but it takes some babying to pick off the spent blooms on a regular basis.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 6, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5759196

Lovely! Wish I could smell them from here!
All those huge leaves are perfect for a bit of manipulation... get your stapler out. Lol!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5806464

Asters are good flowers for the fall season. I got some seedlings of this blue aster from a fellow gardener in Sacramento about 4 years ago, and it blooms mid Oct to late November - don't know the variety. It does get leggy and needs some support.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5806479

Here it is in a vase. I added some lantana to the mix. The lantana blooms long into the fall season here in zone 9a. We have had a very mild fall so far. Temps in the mid 70's for the last two weeks.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5806482

And a little closer view.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 19, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5808855

I don't have a chance to get to Dave's Garden during spring/summer/early fall months, but enjoy reading and posting in the winter. I notice that most of the folks posting here seem to be from warmer climates. So I wanted to post a few bouquets that some of the northern folks could enjoy growing and bringing in. I'm not the best floral arranger, but still enjoy it.

May bouquet: [Weigelia, clematis, lychnis viscaria, and pyrethrum (painted daisy)]

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 19, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5808859

close up of May bouquet

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 19, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5808880

Another May bouquet:
Hesperis (dame's rocket), baptisia, aquilegia (columbine), allium, and a siberian Iris which was too tall to get in the photo

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 19, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5808888

Summer pink bouquet: [Tall garden Phlox, Malva and Agastache] (sorry not clear photo)

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 19, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5810134

Hi Dianne, Your Aster's are a lovely splash of colour in the garden!
The arrangement with the lantana added is gorgeous, such a lovely subtle blend of colours.
Love the way you 'arranged' them in the vase, immitating how they look growing in the garden, great technique!

Hello Ts Flowers and welcome. Thanks for sharing your beautiful bouquets! It's great to see all your pretty flowers and even better to hear you enjoy arranging!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #5811230

Hi Ts - welcome to this forum. It is nice to see such a different variety of plants - most are different from what I normally have in my yard except for the columbine and siberian iris.. And your arrangements look great...The malva and phlox that I grew several years ago only lasted one season. Plants need to be able to take a fair amount of neglect to survive in my yard LoL. What variety of clematis is that in the first photo? That is one plant that I would like to try growing too. When spring rolls around again, it would be great to see some photos of your yard.

Hi Terri - Thanks! I do have to make one qualification about the lantana - we share a strip of side yard with the neighbors, and it is their lantana that "strayed" close to my side. The excess water from their backyard sprinkler drains into that side strip, and I channel that water to the rest of my side yard. Instant watering - I have not had to water that patch of garden for the last four years. They tend to flood their yard periodically, so my plants in that area have to tolerate having their feet wet too. That is going to be a big savings for me if they ever finish installing water meters in the rest of Sacramento and we have to pay for the amount of water used...
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 20, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #5811332

lurking, but spring and into summer here!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 20, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5811703

Diane = soilsand up ?? If yes, thank you Diane and Terri for the welcome.

The clematis I believe is Mrs. N. Thompson..

And although I'd love to post photos in the spring, there would just be no time. I seldom get to Dave's Garden or other websites until mid-November through March. And then my business starts up and I'm way too busy.

But every year I try to accumulate some photos and always hope to take more photos of my bouquets but don't always get it done.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 20, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5811714

Here's a quick-to-make fall bouquet: (New England Asters and Physostegia)

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5813793

Beautiful, lovely shape. Thank you TsFlowers.

I dont have many flowers left! I had to try harder to find something interesting to use lol!
The Cornus stems are nice and red ... snip snip!!

Thumbnail by terriculture

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5813802

I like the lime green colour of the Choisya leaves... snip snip!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 12:12 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5813806

From Yard to vase...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5813814

The red fabric collar placed inside the vase made the water red, which added a surprise bonus!

This message was edited Nov 21, 2008 12:07 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5813827

Hi Sue! you still lurkin' then?? lol
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 21, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5814172

Terri you stuff is wonderful. Just makes me wonder how much time you put into each arrangement.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
6:09 AM

Post #5814978

Hi Terri -

What a neat arrangement using no flowers, but other interesting aspects of your garden!! Those are the kinds of ideas that I was hoping will pop up on this thread.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5816065

Thank you TsFlowers, I don't know about wonderful but I'm very pleased you liked it!
I always find coming up with an idea takes the longest, once I know what I'm doing the 'making' part is quite quick.

Thanks Dianne, It is quite a challenge really. Watch out for my birds nest coming soon LoL!
What have you got up your sleeve for the next one?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 22, 2008
10:38 AM

Post #5818549

Still lurking Tez, nice job with the red fabric! I too like the use of materials other than flowers, as I get quite alot of interesting foliage here, as you know. I have trouble coming up with ideas though, and usually cut way more than I need, and make a huge mess, by which time I'm sick of it all and throw it together, and wah-laa, an arrangement is born!
Hi Ts flowers, nice to see some new arrangements. what is your business that takes up so much of your time? (If you don't mind me asking)
Ah well, forums to go to and threads to reply to.
I'm off
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 22, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5820019

Thanks Sue. Candee is the ideas person around here!!
Anyway looking forward to the birth of your next arrangement!! (hope it's a multiple birth)
All the best, good luck!

Edited to get rid of my rantings. lol!

This message was edited Nov 23, 2008 12:42 AM
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 23, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5821997

LOL
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5844419

Yay, Dianne's back with the yard to vase saga. As always, your arrangements are beautiful. TsFlowers, your may bouquet is to die for. Lovely variety and colors. Terri, as always, yours is so creative, esp with no flowers. Hey Sue! Started lurking myself, but after all this, I'm totally inspired. Here's my series.

My fall/winter garden. Not really neat and tidy.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5844431

More.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5844433

Scratches from cutting the roses!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5844436

From yard to VASE. Blue girl roses with coleus, margarite potato vines, and ornamental grass.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 30, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5844494

Very lovely bouquet! The roses are just beautiful. Fragrant? That's one thing I like about my own roses as compared to commercial purchase is that they smell sooooo good. The commercial ones just have no fragrance it seems. The potatoe vine looks so nice. Perhaps I'll have to grow one and the blackie one too.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5844906

Hi Karma, How neat that you still have roses - and that is one cheerful bouquet. I have one thornless rose, but it has absolutely no fragrance. So, I guess we'll just have to put up with those thorns...LoL hope your scratches are healing.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5846307

Ts, thanks. You're right about the fragrance on garden roses. Mine smell pretty good, but you have to stick your nose in it to really smell it. I have the Blackie too, and they are really pretty. Reminds me of japanese maple leaves.

Dianne, all of those came from one little rose bush. I was surprised to find that many. The most I've seen are 4-5. I probably have about 10 today. They may be the last of the roses for now. Oooh thornless roses? I wouldn't mind having some, even if it meant losing the fragrance. The scratches aren't too bad. They don't really bother me. Just looks bad. Thanks.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 1, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5847345

Hi Karma!! Nice to see your flowers, your roses are beautiful! Soz you got scratched but your bouquet looks lovely with the coleus and all. Thank you for sharing.
Garden roses are so much nicer than the shop ones. I have the Blue Moon rose and that smells fab, it's usually the first and last to flower every year!
Hi TsFlowers and Dianne, anything flowering in your gardens?
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

December 1, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5848740

Mine actually has a couple inches of snow on it. Seems kind of early to me, but...oh well.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5851045

Snowing? brrrr keep warm inside !

My Jasmine has some buds and a couple of flowers on it.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5851056

There's a birds nest in a tree, which gave me the idea for the next arrangement.
I didn't climb the tree and steal the nest, btw !!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5851066

Cornus stems make the tree, the birds nest contains painted walnuts (they look like eggs)
Jasmine is hanging around it.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5851072

The tree trunk is in a vase filled with other 'dead' stuff from around the garden.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5851174

Goodness you all have been quite busy in my absence.
Dianne I love your "lab" arrangement. Those colors are my favorite blends. It is kinda my home color scheme so how bout I borrow it as I am fresh outta fresh?

And TS, I'll also need that May bouquet, what a beauty and would look great on my mantle for the holidays as I am not decorating this year.

Karma I am amazed that you still have so many lovelies in your gardens. Most of our weather has been coming from the south, but I guess not your part of the south. Those roses are beauties, is that the true color? I ask because when it comes to a few mauves my camera seems to capture the color a bit different that what it actually is to the naked eye.

Hey Terri, you still got lanterns, mine disappeared. Your birdcage is another masterpiece of genius innovation. I really need to think more outside the box!

Hi there Sue, glad you and I are lurking!

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

December 2, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5851304

LOL...just love that *dead* stuff. Very nice!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5851332

Candee - you are welcomed to borrow any thing you want.

Terri - another masterpiece.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5851747

Thanks guys! you are all the bestest mates anyone could find! Your encouragement brings out these weirdo ideas. lol!
The lanterns are still there Candee, dunno what to DO with them next?!!
They have already been skewered, drowned ,threaded and opened up LOL!
Maybe they should just be stuck in a vase... What the heck!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5854582

Well I notice you didn't mention that you had glued the lanterns??????????? Now perhaps that would make for an interesting container!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5855514

I discovered Tulbaghia fragrans four years ago. It is a much better smelling relative of the common society garlic that is used in a lot of landscaping, but the beauty of this variety is that it blooms in the winter time and it makes a great cut flower. It spreads nicely, but is not at all invasive.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5855515

close up

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5855518

Also blooming right now is some, I think, paperwhites.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5855521

And pairing them together...

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5857876

That looks yummy Dianne, I love it.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 7, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5868512

LoL Candee, glued them together!!! now why didn't I think of that? ... watch this space !!

Dianne, Lovely you still have flowers! Daffs in December? That combination work really well together. Nice with white as the focal point . How many Mil in the 'vase'? lol
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 8, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5869582

Loving all your gardens, and really surprised you have soo much to play with still! My garden is just coming into its own, but will soon be sad with the heat, so I had best post some pics now before it does.
Here, there are Shastas, Echinaceas, rosemary and lots of other things

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 8, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5869585

this is a handbag vase I picked up at the markets yesterday ($11) Its glass and very heavy

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 8, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5869590

This is the shastas, rosemary and Echinacea in the vase, along with a couple of late/early chrysanthemums. I made it late last night, so not alot of thought or creativity went into it, but luckily the flowers are pretty enough for it not to matter! LOL
The vase reminds me of when Terri puts petals or leaves in the water! Terri, if you lived closer, this vase would be your xmas present!
Sue

This message was edited Dec 8, 2008 3:18 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2008
6:45 AM

Post #5869779

Very nice, Sue. I may have to steal your rosemary spikes idea.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5870055

Yes it does Sue in that arrangement photo looks like petals in the vase. What a great find. I am sure Terri will be asking for it on her next cyber visit to Aussie land!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 8, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5870669

Hi Lurker Sue! Your garden looks so pretty, not a weed in sight weedwoman whats going on? lol!
What a great find with the vase! Love it,.Thanks for my Christmas present, if I lived closer!!
The first great idea was seeing potential in that vase! The placement and height of the Rosemary is in perfect balance with the layering and width of flowers. Good choice of colours and textures to compliment the vase.

quote... 'not alot of thought or creativity' ... NONSENSE!!!! you're a natural.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5882196

Terri - nice perception. It is a 1000 mil "flask". Someone gave that to me a few years ago and I have never seen another one like that. Those old labware are so neat.

Most gingers are grown for their flowers, but this is one that has really nice foliage - Alpinia zerumbet. This clump is in my front entrance.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5882204

I have another clump in my backyard that I let grow, and it has bloomed a few times. But, I like this plant for a non-flower arrangement this time of the year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 11, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5882237

Oh Dianne, you are so lucky to have such lovely huge leaves outside your door.
They look great in the complementary vase, Thanks!
I just paid 3.00 for 12 big Aspidistra leaves!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5882250

Hi Terri - I can't wait to see what you do with your Aspidistra leaves. I have a couple of clumps of those too, and they do need some trimming.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 11, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5882284

I'm attempting to make a Christmas tree with mine, Lol!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 11, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5882551

Hi Dianne and Terri, love the Ginger leaves. Is that the ginger called 'Shell ginger'? I too like foliage arrangements, don't I terri? Can't wait to see your Aspidistra arrangement also. I have a variegated Aspidistra in a pot, and was at a loss as what to do with it. Maybe I will try and sell some leaves! LOL. Thanks for the nice compliments on the handbag arrangement. I truelly would have given it to you!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 11, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5882747

and I truely would have been delighted to recieve it!
Terri
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5882758

Well I am so glad I have all these thread bookmarked cause you gals are just so special and I can't wait to see what comes from all your prizes.
I have never heard of these leaves and I know how creative you all are, so I will just put my feet up and wait!
The leaves are lovely.
I wish we had a reasonable florist nearby to get such lovelies in the winter months.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5906035

Sue - yes, that plant is also known as shell ginger.

Candee - your wait is over!!! LoL. I finally got around to cutting and arranging. Here is a photo of my Aspidistra elatior (AKA as cast iron plant in that it doesn't require anything special except no sun). Next to it is a Asparagus meyeri - foxtail fern though it is not a fern.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5906042

A little further down the fence where there is some afternoon sun is a Euphorbia, species maybe characias wulfenii. Next to it is a solitary nerine still hanging in there.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5906070

Mixing them all together for another green December arrangement - (noticed how I "stole" a bunch of ideas from you gals?)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 19, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5908015

Hi Dianne, Lovely all green arrangement, great colours and textures combined.
Who needs flowers? lol! Nice to see a BIG display. Thank you!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5908272

Well that is certainly a clever design. Doesn't look like any I have seen. The blue really adds to the greenery.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5914716

Dianne, cool foliage!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5922201

Thanks, everyone. Candee - the foxtail ferns are imitations of Sue's rosemary spikes, and the layers of greenery is inspired by Terri's choisya leaves. Must have done a good job "stealing" without being caught... LoL.

One of my favorite plants this time of the year is one that I found at a plant sale held by UC Davis arboretum folks. It is a Kniphofia (red-hot poker), variety Christmas Cheer. And, it has reliably bloomed for the last three Christmases. Took this photo this morning, and it has at least 15 spikes.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5922217

Sago palm leaves (Cycas revoluta) are great for arrangements because they last a long time after cutting- but the leaves are so big that I can only use them once in a while when I have something huge to arrange. This one that I have in the backyard is starting to develop pups.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5922230

Christmas cheer is one of those flowers that is large enough, and here it is paired together. This photo is one taken last year since I wanted to leave the Christmas cheer spikes on this year's plant to mature a little more. Merry Christmas to one and all!!!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 24, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5923301

Hi Dianne and Karma!! Happy to hear from you again. Season's Greetings my dear friend.
Love the Red Hot Pokers Dianne, that is a fine healthy group. I remember your arrangement from last year, nice to see it again, they do look stunning together. Thank you.
Merry Christmas all!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 28, 2008
9:33 AM

Post #5935262

Hey, I think I did the same combo at one stage! I will have to get somehting together for you guys!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5936001

yes dear Sue! we look forward to your next arrangement!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5936883

Hey Sue weed, glad to see you popping in.
Dianne, I swear this year I am going to get a sago palm and keep inside just for the foliage. Thanks for inspiring me with yours!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5936932

Candee, did you win the lottery? Sago's are mega 's here lol!
One day I'll get one, they are gorgeous.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5936988

Right LOL, they have some at Lowes from time to time very small but not that pricey!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5938326

If you are all nearby, I can give you pups from a sago palm that we planted over 25 years ago!!!! There are a lot at the base, but I have not gotten around to doing anything with them. My sister has rooted a bunch of hers, but it is going to be one of those "one of these days" chores for me...

This message was edited Dec 28, 2008 9:13 PM
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5938502

We have had several days of below freezing temps the last two weeks, and many of my frost tender plants are toast. But, the narcissus is still going strong.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #5938512

The firecracker plant (Russelia equisetiformis) has just a few flowers left on it, but the green stems are still fine.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #5938517

And the pair together. This will most likely be the last entry for 2008. Looking forward to a great 2009!!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 29, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5939858

dont count your chickens lol! maybe Sue will arrive with the last one for 2008!
Jolly good show Dianne! Lovely and fresh looking, like that combo! gives the delicate look you have perfected so well. Thank you.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5940962

Dianne I appreciate the thought but the postage would likely be as much as a plant from Lowes. I'll keep it in mind for the spring if you don't mind me askin again.
So glad to see you still have a few blooms, not much anything back here in the east.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 30, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5941358

btw, what is Lowes? do they sell plants and crafts? I've seen it mentioned many times, just wondered!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5941463

Terri - Lowes is a hardware store that also has a landscaping section. sometimes when some of their plants are stressed, they sell them at a really cheap price. Their regular prices are usually quite reasonable, but like all large chain stores, they have a somewhat limited selection. I actually meant that that arrangement above would be the last entry from me for the year...so...maybe we can get Sue to take up your challenge to post something nice and colorful ...LoL Get your camera ready Sue!

I'll have to take a good look at that Sago palm and see if there may be some small pups suitable for rooting when the weather warms up a bit, just in case I hear from you Candee...

I got 5 spikes on my bird of paradise - can't wait for that to bloom. Slugs and snails are eating my orchids, and the frost got the brugmansia. sigh...

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5941566

Oh not dang slugs, pour some salt on them quick. Cannot help with the frost except to coverup!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5945906

Oh doh! now I see what you mean Dianne! Well there's still time for Sue to surprise us...
fingers crossed!
Thanks about Lowes. I cant wait to see your Bird of Paradise, has it flowered before?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5946213

Your wish is my command!
Echinacea

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5946216

Lime green crotons (at back)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5946219

Coleus (felt plant/ flame nettle)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5946222

Cordyline fruiticosa (Ti)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #5946233

Mash 'em all together in a terracotta wine bottle holder, and waa-lah! (I added frangipani blooms at the last minute, so didn't get the pic of them in the garden - Yet!)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5946248

Terri - I have two plants,. On one plant, I had one flower two years ago, two flowers last year, and 4 spikes this year. If it follows the law of proportions (hopefully it is a smart bird of paradise) I should have 8 next year.

The other plant, this is the first year it has produced a spike. Hoping that one will go forth and multiply (sorry, Candee. had your advice from the other thread on my mind Lol)
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5946267

Sue - I keep posting when someone else is posting. What a lovely, colorful bouquet!!! I especially like the red Ti plant. I only have the plain green one.

Those purplish hues would go great in the Christmas Cafe. So glad you popped in before the year is out.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 31, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5946292

I have been left alone to enjoy myself and get my chores done. Its Bliss! No one here asking for a meal or taking my seat at the puter! LOL. Its a bit hot though, 90 farenheit or there abouts! Whew! I got to go clean the BBQ, so if I don't drop back in, HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 31, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5946319

Well , would you just look at that! whoooo hoo !!

Absolutely beautiful Sue, with the sweetest little Frangipani (my fav flower for sure) to give the perfect finishing touch.
Thankie Thankie your'e a star! Happy happy New year.
This is your best arrangement in 2008, Wow you're going out with a bang!

Bring on 2009!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5947104

Sue those colors are smashing, my favorites. Hope you get a chance to pop in to the New Year cafe for one sip or 2 but if not a big warm and wonderful new year to you.
Dianne be sure to post your bird of paradise when you can. Do you think I could grow one inside.
Thanks for the lovely postings as I look outside at it snowing this morn.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6072485

January is almost gone so it is high time I posted something here. Flowering quince (Chaenomeles) is a nondescript shrub most of the year, but it is normally in it's full glory this time of the year with numerous spikes of pinkish or reddish blooms on leafless branches. I do not have a photo from the prior years where it is more representative of what it looks like, so I will sadly, have to use this year's photo. We had a really mild fall, and for some reason, my flowering quince did not shed hardly any leaves and had few blooming branches.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6072497

In a few areas of the plant where the branches dropped their leaves, I found some blooms. Since flowering quince is one of the earliest blooming shrubs of the year, many people use it as arrangements for Chinese New Year, which fell on January 26, 2009.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6079739

Very nice and dainty! Happy Chinese New Year Dianne.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6079775

Looks wonderful against those beautiful bricks! What a great combination.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6081556

Thanks Terri and Candee.

Along with Florida, California is home to a lot of citrus crops. I planted this meyer lemon tree (dwarf variety that I have to constantly trim to keep "drawf") about 6 years ago and it has produced fairly large crops. Not what you would normally think of as flowers,but fruits are technically a part of the flower. So, I am fudging a bit and putting it in this series.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6081563

And here it is in an arrangement. Dec/Jan/Feb is the peak time for these lemons, so I have given these lemon bowls as Christmas presents. The bowl is really the present part, but the lemons are also appreciated by people who bake.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6082181

What a luscious gift idea. I would love to receive something like that!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6083335

What a great crop! It must smell lovely Dianne. I would love that arrangement, pretty,fresh and fragrant!
Thank you for making this one.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6086616

Diane, you are amazing! Pretty fruit and flowers! Hi Candee hi Terri!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6086673

Hi karma how are you doing there, so nice to see you pop in!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6086923

Hi Karma!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6117763

Candee, I thought about you today when I was cleaning up the greenhouse. Your bloodgrass is still alive, just waiting to take off as soon as the weather warms.

Found some nice surprises in some forgotten containers in a neglected part of the garden too. Mostly containers of flowering bulbs that I left on its side since last spring! They're popping up like I've been taking good care of them. Guess they don't hold grudges. Hopefully I'll get some tall daffodils like Diannes's to arrange with.

Dianne, your quince is really tall. Mine are stunted from being in containers. No signs of life from them yet, but I'm still crossing my fingers. Sorry I'm blabbering on your thread tonight.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 6:01 AM
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6118651

Thanks, everyone.

Hi Karma - it is always a pleasure to have you on this thread - the more the merrier. Because it is winter, there is not a whole lot going on, so it is nice to have you pop in. Glad you got some bulbs coming up. The regular single-cup daffodils are starting to come into bud now too.

Did you get some bloodgrass from Candee? If yours take off, maybe I'll ask her for some too LoL.

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6119276

NP Dianne, I made up a special batch for Karma and I babied them for weeks before I got the courage to send them, I was so afraid they would not be strong enough for the trip and Terri's teapot was no where in sight. When the weather gets nicer here, I'll pot up some for you and after a month or so will send it out.

Karma, glad you are seeing signs of spring, none here yet, but just around the corner.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 8:53 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6120324

lurking...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6122818

Hi Blossom - lurkers are always welcomed too.

Candee - I would love some bloodgrass - I remember seeing them in some of the arrangements in the threads here and really liked the way they look. Do you know the scientific name - maybe I can find some here??

Karma - in regards to the flowering quince that they sell these days - I don't think it is because you are growing yours in a container that is causing the shortness of the branches. The varieties that they sell are more ground-hugging, and do not give off long shoots that are good for arrangements. I bought some about 15 years ago, and was thoroughly disappointed. There were only blossoms at the base of the branches, and the rest of the upper part of the branches were bare. I dug them out. I saw a shrub at a friend's house, the old-fashioned kind, and dug up a side shoot and planted that. A year later, I saw some more in a vacant lot, and dug a small portion of that too. (I tend to go around the neighborhoods with one eye on the road, the the other eye for seeds and potential plants that I can scavenge) Those are the ones that you see in the photo above. So, if you see any of the taller quince in your neighborhood, you may want to ask. We have many vacant lots here with them growing wild. They do send off a lot of underground offshoots, and is easy to dig one. I have to constantly keep mine's in check, and hope that it won't be losing battle.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6123137

LOL, year round flowers from this garden, not gonna happen unless I have houseplants from November 1 to April of May...whaaah!! You are so lucky.. so must lurk and drool!!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6123355

Same thing here with my quince Dianne, must keep check on the new shoots and keep it trimmed w/n my reach. I planted some of the shoots at the cabin a couple years ago and then are really just now takin off, figures since we are soon to be out of the cabin business, this will be likely our last season there.
The bloodgrass is jus Japanese Bloodgrass far as I know. Here is the link to it in the plant database
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2547/

They refer to it as Cogongrass, Cogon Grass, Satintail, Japanese Blood Grass 'Rubra'
Imperata cylindrica
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6127301

Thanks Dianne for the info. Candee was so sweet and generous to share her bloodgrass with me. You will love it!

Hi Blossom!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6127911

HIya Karma...lurk lurk!! Man we had wind last night...
The garden was littered with shingles off the house today. Everything is still brown. Did not have the heart to take any pics. I still have branches littered alllll over from the ice storm we had and don't know how soon we can get to cleaning up that now that we are going into the "midstate monsoon" season...

Need to get some potting soil for those cuttings. That onry vine is some 40 years old. The parent is still in its original pot!! LOL! Finally a plant I cant kill! LOL!

Everyones gardens above look absolutely beautiful!

All I can say is...here is to spring and houseplants! (Must see if there is a thread started on HP's!) and remain to lurk here!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6139910

miniature roses

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6139914

onion flowers of some kind, (chives?)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6139916

Variegated Liriope leaves

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6139919

Alternanthera

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6139924

Grasses, (used the one that looks like mini bamboo) Everything was wet and droopy from the rain.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6139928

Turned it into a Valentines Day arrangement for myself.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 15, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6139931

And set the table for a romantic evening, (but then went out for tea, he,he)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6140033

...lurk...all is sooooo loverly!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #6140920

Hi Sue -what a lovely bouquet for Valentine's day. I am a baileys fan myself. Hope you had a great tea time and romantic evening.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6141267

Gorgeous and so whimsical Sue! The color on your alternanthera is so bright and pretty. Lovely lovely lovely!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6142496

Sue you are really somthing to be able to manage those luxurious gardens of yours they always look impeccable. Lovin the arrangement reminds me I have one of those bikes and the candelabra is quite unique and just my style, better put it away before my next visit or I make make you an offer you can't refuse.
Baileys, well need anyone say more, on the rocks or straight up or a splash in my coffee, there is no wrong way!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 15, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6142788

Hi Sue!! Lovely to see your garden and beautiful colourful plants, a treat for us today!
Your arrangement is so sweet, lovely colour combination and textures. Is that twirly wire with a bead on it ?? looks great! Extra special container, love it! Thanks so much. The background cloth is WOW also!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 16, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6145096

Thanks Ladies! A glass of Baileys on ice for each of you!
Candee, my back aches with how tidy my garden is! he,he. *groan* I just don't take pics of the messy parts. I bought the candelabra about 12 years ago, handmade from Camphor Laurel wood. (cinnamomum camphora) I was on a motorcycle holiday, so posted it back to myself. I have seen them a few times since then, carved to the same pattern, (although there is about 10 different styles) but they are very costly since I first bought mine!
Terri, yes, twirly wire with beads. I got the idea from a very talented friend of mine who is extremely imaginative with her arrangements (another glass of Baileys?) Funny you should mention the cloth. he, he. I would have ironed it, but it's been such a long time since I ironed anything, I can't find the iron! he he. Just call me 'Wrinkles'
I get a bit lazy and rush a bit too, as I have no patience, and wish I could slow down and pay attention to the details (like making sure the floral foam is hidden) he, he. I know there are faults, but it's lovely of you ladies to be so flattering and to keep your criticisms so quiet! I guess its nice to just see an arrangement from time to time, or even just some pretty flowers.
Who's next?
Sue (Wrinkles_woman)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6146291

I don't see any any floral foam Sue! LoL Wrinkles are cool! only Real people have them!!
Ironing is not my thing either!! Warm clothes out of the dryer hand ironing and folding works for me!!
Drives me mad when the kids leave the clothes in the dryer, then they are all wrinkled!!!
I guess you hang yours outside in the sunshine to dry? LOL!

Candee, glad Sue reminded you about the bike you have been hiding all this time LOL!

Cheer's, it's nice with ice!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6238149

Hi Dianne, it's almost spring! nearly time for a new thread??

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6238158

little hellebore!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6238161

oops!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6238308

Hi Terri - welcome back. yes it is almost time ...but think I'll wait until true spring arrives. Lots has been happening in my garden, but I have been neglectful in going out there to take photos and cut blooms. I love those heelbores. Your teapot goes really well with your hellebore. I have two types in my garden now, the chartreuse one like what you have, and the purplish-pink tinged ones.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6239567

Thanks Dianne! They are quite difficult to 'arrange' because the flowers hang down and the stems are so short! Looking forward to seeing your chartreuse and pinky ones.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #6240955

OK - finally getting back to looking at the garden with an eye for arrangements. I got this chartreuse hellebore last year from a co-worker and it has grown a lot in one year. Can't remember the name of it off hand, but this growth habit and the leaves are quite different from the lenten rose.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6240960

and this is the purplish lenten rose

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #6240964

Still have a few Tulbaghia fragrans blooming. These are great winter bloomers - often from November to March

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #6240991

And, putting all of them together...

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6240994

Can't live in the Camellia capital of the world and not grow any... Here is my red one.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #6240996

And in a vase. The flower heads were quite heavy.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #6241009

My forsythia is still pretty lanky and sparse after over 5 years. Not sure how to get it more bushy. It doesn't get much light where it is at - that might be part of the problem. I found a branch tip that rooted, so if that grows, I'll plant it in a sunnier location and see it the second one will do better.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:49 AM

Post #6241014

I planted these chasmanthe also about 5 years ago, and the bloom time always happens just before a frost, and then it is toast. This year, it bloomed a little later, after most of the frost days have passed. Finally, got a couple of blooms!!!

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6241015

White callas are starting to bloom too - they will reach their peak here in April.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6241023

I got some orange chasmanthe last year from a friend in Berkeley - they were growing wild all over the house that she was living in. These orange ones are much more common than the yellow ones - my patch is small since it is only a year old, but I did get a couple of stems. I planted it in a sort of an isolated area to control it's spread. Here is a combination of the yellows, orange, and white.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6241519

Wow Dianne you have quite a lot showing. Lovin the camellia, oh I can almost smell them from here. Nice helleborus everyone, mine are just popping up, not sure why so late usually I see a bloom in February?
Dianne, do you trim your forsythia, seems the more I cut mine back the bushier it becomes. I have 2 that I never fool with in an obscure place and they are no bigger than 5 years ago.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6241939

Oh so jealous... my garden is still brown! May I present my mess! LOL!

EEKS!

Ribbet

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6250345

Thanks Candee. I have not done a lot of trimming, just a few branches for arrangements. There has not been a whole lot to cut, but maybe I will trim a little more vigorously this year.

Hang in there Blossom - things will green up for you soon.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6250713

Those are really pretty Terri and Diana!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6251632

...slooooowly it turns... Oh so awfully slow!

2 more inches of rain, then the wet froze...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6252660

Sorry to hear you are in the muck there blossom, we are in the windy city it appears! Much as the wind blows things are still soggy and I for the life of me cannot figure why? It was a relatively dry winter not tons of snow, but the ground is soaking. Soon, soon, soon.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6253281

Please dont mention wind.. Our roof is getting bad.. shingles have been coming off one by one or more daily with the wind here...It did thaw though... Just pray we got no leaks and can get it fixed before that happens ..Everything has to come at once... Grass greened up a bit but has away to go.. things are getting on a roll. Cant wait to see the doves start building in my wisteria again this year! They are hunting for spots now! But be a while yet before that thing is green!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6255368

Sorry, will stop huffing and puffin here. Seems you are really have a bad leak year blossom.
What a nice little mornin dove in you plant. I have never had anything roost in my wisteria, yours must be quite huge to attract the feathered friends.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6256030

Oh, thats ok dear, its just another day in paradise.. we will get through, we usually do. Keep the faith !

Things are not all that bad...we have had worse! Just once though I
would like to have a nice peaceful day, you know the kind to read a book, or sit in the sun, not do anything.. just kick back and enjoy life...

You know, go down to the frog pond, listen to the birds too, toss a line and jussst relax. Zzzzzzz...

Oooh snort.. mmmm.. pardon me for dozing off again.. just need some rest.. the frogs have been really yammering and hooting and hollering ! Its sheer music to me ears.. but it goes on all day and all night here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953765/

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 12, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6256727

Hi Dianne! Lovely arrangements! Is that a new vase in the first arrangement? very nice. Like the variety of greens in that one. Your camelia bush is stunning! Love the yellow orange and whites, nice shape!

Thanks Karma! How is your garden looking?
Candee, yours will be flowering soon!
Blossom, chillax!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6259224

Chillaxing here! So far were we are we are good. No need for paddles for the creek yet! Catchyall tomorrow.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6259830

Thanks Karma and Terri - that vase in the first arrangement is actually some kind of labware that is no longer used. There are some grooves on the side in which you put glass plates and section off several areas. Maybe for some chromatography work. I have had it for a while, but have never found the right arrangement for it. The greens in there is one branch from the green hellebore - complete with leaves. It was a big, substantial stem.

Oh blossom, I wish we could be like star trek and beam you out here to Seiad Valley. I was able to lounge about today, read a book in the sun, and just listen to the river flow. There was a low of 24 degrees at night, but warmed up to the 50's in the day. We are fairly high up, so the sun feels even hotter in this area.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6260309

Thanks soils! Well, right now, we are not suffering any disaster and the flooding on my ranch is normal, but in town.. I am not getting any traffic coming by the house here so that tells me things are probably worse there. I have not heard any radio reports. I am good for provisions and such. And yes, it would be a blessing if things would warm up. More rain is predicted in a few days.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 14, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6266122

Dianne, I'm facinated with your vase/labware, with the secret shelves LoL !
Do you have the other glass plates for it?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6281496

Hi Terri - I may have the dividers somewhere. It will come in handy if I want the arrangement to be spread out, but not deep.

In honor of St. Patrick's day, here is a photo of one of my euphorbias in bloom.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6281503

And here it is in a vase. I have not grown too many green flowers before, but I am getting partial to them now. This plant is pretty versatile since I was able to use just the vegetative stems in an arrangement earlier this year, and then again when it blooms.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6284147

Soils those are really beautiful!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 18, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6284781

Lovely display Dianne! Sounds interesting!!!!! you could fill the lower part of the labware with something else LOL! shells, stones, glass beads, other foliage ...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6286214

Thanks, Blossom and Terri.
Winter is fast coming to an end (though Blossom has been waiting for this day forever LoL)

My thalias are near their peak now. I wanted some pure white daffodils for my white planter, and I chose Thalia because the brochure said that it was fragrant. But, it is one of those fragrance that I don't really like - not as bad as the paperwhites, but still not something that I would buy for it's fragrance. It does come back and multiply very well.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6286217

here it is paired with a few of my other daffodils.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6287456

Still waiting...tick tick tick!!!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6288978

Lovely greens Dianne and those thalias are quite interesting and new to me. LOL blossom, we shall get there!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6289113

Soils, now you know you can always dig up those horrible smelling thalia and what not bulbs and send them on to me!!

BEG!!! LOL!

I have a huge heart and lots o room for them!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/958032/#top

Pop on over to my GPS and take a peak of how a few of them are arriving to me now!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6289357

hehehe!! Here are some in my garden! They are coming! I got these from beautygirl several years back!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 20, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6296494

Lovely display in the garden Dianne! Where is the white planter? They look pretty in the vase with the other daffs.

Blossom, it wont be long now!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6296930

Time for a new link soils...elles is on dial up!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6298039

Hi Blossom, If you were close by, you would be more than welcomed to dig some up. LoL.
I'll see what kinds of seeds I can round up this year to send to you - those are much easier to mail than plants.

I was going to start a new thread today, but I was in such a hurry to leave the house for work that I forgot to bring the camera. But, I am at home now and will start off the new thread.

Terri - I did not mean that the planter is white LoL; I wanted part of my yard to be a white garden, but my garden is not big enough. So, since we had these brick planters in the back yard, I decided to designate one of those planters for all white blooming plants, hence the "white" planter. I planted some herbaceous peonies there that was supposed to be festiva maxima, but turned out to be more Sarah Berndhart pink, so that plan was foiled. But, I did not have the heart to dig out the peonies, so it is a sometimes white, sometimes pink and white planter.

Here's a photo from my "pink" planter to end this series.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6298097

Okay everyone - spring on over to the new thread!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965543/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 21, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6298571

LOL!!!! and LOL!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6298639

LOL!! Its PANK soils PANK! LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America