Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: The nice thing about being a Great dane -

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 143, Views: 1,511
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5748061

You can sit where ever you like, sofa height is no problem...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5748062

And if one sofa is taken there is always the other one!

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5748065

And you get tons of love from Granny.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 3, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5748241

Great pups! Do they help in the garden.

Mine like to dig, and chase mongoose.

Here they are reading the news.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 3, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5748263

All Braveheart needs is a beer in one front paw and the TV remote in the other! He'd be set for days.

katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5748627

LOL! Great pics of all of them!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5748796

My friend has a great dane...and I swear he thinks he's a person..is this pretty much all great danes?
fleurone
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5748829

Such great helpers in the garden too

Thumbnail by fleurone

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5748960

LOL Fluerone - that just about says it all about Danes doesn't it? What a beautiful animal, what is his name?

Great picture of Metro's dogs reading the newspaper!
fleurone
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5749027

Absolutely, real LAID back!. Danes are amazing. She is called Gypsy :)

I have a much better picture of her in the sun lounger but couldn't find it tonight.

Here she is feeling a little poorly ( awhile ago )

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 7:56 PM

Thumbnail by fleurone

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5749499

They are all so precious! Cute!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5749624

Accepted by Braveheart as he liked to sit in my lap. What a treat.

Princess Kilikina

Thumbnail by LouC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5749634

I want that kitchen. Baaad. LOL
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5749660

Will try again. Was supposed to a picture of BH sitting in my lap. This is our love, Jenny in her wonderful kitchen. Just think fresh bananas everyday.

PK

PS. Have lost 20 pounds since then.

Thumbnail by LouC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5749737

Great pic!!
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5749838

Braveheart and Gipsy are surely making all the Great Danes proud!

Love Dave's dogs as well, such passionate readers!

Also, loved the kitchen, and the bananas! And Jenny, and Christi, and Granny!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5749993

Whoo...should have insisted that I cleaned up the kitchen before pictures were taken! PK the pictures took me right back to last February...how nice to see your smiling face on the lanai again! ^_^.

Gypsy is just gorgeous, such beautiful markings - and such a typical Dane. You can see that my two are very old because of their grey faces, almost all their markings are gone now. They do love their comfort don't they? The only time my two get off the sofas is to move to the two twin mattresses we have on the floor for them - and yes, you're right Rj, Danes have no idea that they are dogs, they are very goofy - just like Marmaduke!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5751220

Two of the most gentle dogs I have ever seen in spite of their size. Braveheart and Sandy are jewels.

I look at the pictures often, Jen. Still seems like a dream.

PK
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #5751742

LOL...Jenny...I was thinking what a wonderfuly clean and happy kitchen that is!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5752269

Her entire house and yard is immaculate.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5752944

'Looks REALLY clean to me! I'd be happy if mine looked that good!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5753156

Mine too!! Heck I would be happy to just have cabinets with doors that aren't crooked. LOL
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2008
4:32 AM

Post #5754043

Thank you all for your nice comments! Acually Pepper, when we moved in it really was the kitchen from H***. Most cabinet doors were missing, draw fronts missing (but that didn't matter because most of them didn't have any bottoms anyway), black tile counter which was only half there, one wall oven (avocado green) that didn't work, and the cook top was fed by a propane gas tank that was fed through a LARGE hole in the wall from the lanai. The kitchen sink had been leaking for years and the wood underneath had rotted so it had a most interesting tilt to it, have you ever had a sink that water would never drain out of completely because of the angle? We also had Harvest Gold formica butted up to the black tile as a eating area. We managed to live with it for about a year before I gutted it down to the bare walls - which I had to have replaced before we could start new. We found interesting collections of mummified mice underneath everything, together with dry rot and termites! As you might guess, we didn't buy the house for it's looks, but it is a nice piece of land! Six years later and I am still working on it!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5755012

and you have done a fantastic job.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5755145

Yikes!! I've seen some pretty bad kitchens cause my dad remodels but your old one sounds like the worse one. Glad you have a new kitchen!! :~)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 5, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5755151

Looked at first post----ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To cute!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5764447

Oh, I get such a kick of seeing Braveheart park himself on people's lap like that. Maybe I'll get to shake his paw one of these days. All the TZG canine auxilliary are such loves.

And that kitchen... I love the bananas. What would you have cleaned up? I have a saying when we have company. As they enter, I tell them: "We have cleaned up as well as we could. If you see anything that bothers you, we have ample supplies of rags and cleaning products. Just ask.". Nobody ever asked. As the nefarious Martha would say: "It's a good thing".

Take care, all. Aloha and mahalo for sharing your pictures.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5764481

More pictures of Braveheart in Margaret's lap. Isn't she a beautiful lady? And a super personality besides.

Princess Kilikina

That is Jenny's mother I am referring to.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5764490

What a fantastic couple. Beautiful, handsome, generous, humorous, what more can I say??? This is a "top shelf" family.

Thumbnail by LouC

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #5765425

I agree!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 8, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5766701

No objections here.

Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5767981

Oh shucks, you guys! How very nice of you...I am blushing furiously and not quite sure what to say.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5768529

LOL!! And I will embarass you more by saying I agree with them.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5769100

Jen, you don't have to say anything...just keep being the sweet, loving, considerate friend that you are...You are an inspiration to us all! Aloha!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5769339

Amen.
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5778967

I also agree to all the above!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 11, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5779472

My goodness! I get on-line to look at pics of some of my favorite Danes (Hamlet eat your heart out!), and I find that we have decided to praise the heck out of one of the sweetest ladies ever. Okay, I will add my admiration to the list. But actually, I think that all of you guys are the greatest. Don't know what I'd be doing sometimes without my DG fix.

Thank you all for being all of you!

Yokwe,
Shari
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5779722

I know of another couple that is over the top. IslandShari and her JB.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5779727

Some people even smile with their eyes.

Thumbnail by LouC

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5779769

oooh...on my living room couch one year ago.. sniffles
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5779803

How have we moved from Great Danes to our favorite people? Just a natural progression I would guess.

And here we have our host...the one and only...Rjuddharrison...Randy!!

Thumbnail by LouC

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 12, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5780153

Love the pic of our dear Randy...but the other two should be burned! Ha Ha. Sure do miss you guys!

Yokwe,
Shari
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5780268

All of the pics are great. And Shari, you know we aren't gonna burn your pics! LOL
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #5781016

Oh what great memories! Hard to believe it's been a year. They say "Time flies when you are having FUN!". So, I guess that's proof we are all having fun! I agree Shari...love the DG fix! Y'all are the greatest!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #5785205

Loving seeing the pictures of "smiling eyes" and "handsome hunk" !
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5787232

I think that is a great description of the first picture on this thread!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5787988

You got it!!!
LApalms
Redondo Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

November 21, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5814424

What a beautiful doggie!!! You are so lucky, Bless you
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 9, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #5873495

oh my!
I had heard that Great Danes were lap dogs in disguise...
I have Dalmatians that like to snuggle as close as they can but they just cannot compete with that wonderful Dane in the photo.
cheers from NZ
- Dalfyre
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5877835

Aloha dalfyre, post some pictures of your dalmatians!

My babies aren't going to be with us much longer, they are nine years old - which is vast old age for this breed, and they are getting the stiff back legs and trouble getting up from their beds - I am not sure if the gloucosomine (sp?) is helping or not anymore, but they get it faithfully. Apart from their hind quarters the Vet says that they are in very good condition for dogs their age...we are living on borrowed time now.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5877854

Aloha!

I was told by a vet that a supplement containing both glucosamine and chondroitin is best for stiff limbs and articulations: for humans and dogs.

Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5877980

Aloha Sylvain,

Yep, that's what they get - hard to say if it's working on not because they have been on it for the last two years. Thank goodness for Cosco, we get the liquid type which just gets mixed in with their breakfast and supper and they don't mind the taste - a pill would be left in the dish I am sure. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to pry open a danes mouth to chuck a pill in if they don't want to open up! They are very suspicious of hiding pills in a piece of chicken too, somehow they can eat the chicken and still spit the pill out, so the liquid is great both for them, and for me too!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5879117

Aloha.

Apparently, fresh ground ginger is also very good for arthritis. Trust me, with Gail's arthritis, we have tried everything. Hers is so severe that it didn't work. Nothing short of cortisone injections actually has any effect.

I will wish Brave Heart many more years living with you in your paradise environment under your good care.

Take care,
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 11, 2008
9:39 AM

Post #5880667

I had my old girl Chita on glucosomine & chondroiton but found NZ greenshell mussel extract really helped put a spring back in her step.
Right now it is summer & she is feeling frisky enough to jump up onto the deck & couch in a single bound (most days)
Chita is 14 & her son Copper is 10.
Last year I had him at a show & when the judge asked 'how old' I said '9' she asked 'months?'...
he is a goofy boy!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5883739

Well, what a pair of cutie-pies with lovely spots! Thanks for the info on the NZ greenshell mussel extract, I haven't see it here but I am sure going to look as it has made such a difference for Chita.
You must take very good care of Chita and Copper to be able to throw a judge as to Copper's age! They are beautiful!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 12, 2008
8:47 AM

Post #5883896

I think luck in choosing good stock...
Chita's dam made 14 too - & was put down after a 'stroke'.
I suspect she had what Chita has just recovered from, Canine Vestibular Syndrome.
It is seen in older dogs mostly & results in dogs losing balance, they walk in circles, lose appetite, have vertigo, head can tilt to one side.
For all the world looks like a stroke.
Given a few days to a week or so they recover.
But many vets have put down dogs mistaking the symptoms for a stroke - which actually is very rare in dogs.
So if you have an older dog that appears to have had a stroke - don't be too quick to have them PTS as it is far more likely to be Canine Vestibular Syndrome.
There is no treatment proven to help other than TLC & time.
If I hadn't taken Chita to a clued up vet she wouldn't be here today.
Seeing her in such a state I had her all but dead & buried.
A month later & she is back to her normal self.
Old , slow & half blind but happy & still able to frolic with her son & jump up & down from the deck - approx 2ft high.
She stands at about 19 or 20 inches so it is quite a leap for her.
fleurone
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #5926446

Hi all sorry I hadn't been back to this thread before , I just couldn't .
My Gypsy was pts on Dec 3rd.
I used to foster dogs and had her originally as a rescue/foster she was emaciated, had numerous wounds, lacerations all over her body and feet.She had been beaten around the head so had limited vision on one side. Of all the ones I had fostered and adopted out , Gypsy spoke to me like no other she was my heart dog so I adopted her.Even after all the trauma she had been through she was such a gentle, loving soul.She became ill , deterioration was pretty quick :( and luckily ( in one way ) my next door neighbor is a vet. I called him and he came out from his practice

Gypsy was 10 years old and he diagnosed cancer of the spleen and also internal heamoraghing (sp) , extremely elevated heart rate etc. He did say he could operate and try but chances were very, very slim. I said no , I am not going to put her through that, ( surgery, being away from home etc ) she has been through enough.
This last year I went away for two weeks and she wouldn't eat etc.
So I held her and she slipped gently away.
RIP Gypsy.

The picture , not very good is on the day I received her

This message was edited Dec 25, 2008 12:08 AM

Thumbnail by fleurone

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #5926497

Oh fleurone, I am so terribly sorry - it's one of the most heartbreaking things to lose a pet. Bless you for allowing her to go gently...

love and hugs,

Jenn
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 25, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #5926565

So sorry to hear of your loss. There is no way to protect ourselves from the pain of loss. Bless you for letting Gypsy go gently.

love, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5926591

I am sooo sorry. Had our precious Hannah put down in August. Multiple problems. 16 years old and lived a very pampered life. Fully understand your grief.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5941595

So sorry to hear about your Gypsy. I know the feeling. We lost our Chow, Chelsea, 14 yrs old a few years ago. I think I cried for a solid weekend! I thought I'd never have another pet until we got our cats Dusty, and Rusty. Now they are almost as spoiled as our dogs were!

It is soooo hard to lose a pet! We will keep you in our prayers!

Jeanne
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5942065

Just happened across this thread while "lurking". Love all the pups! Canines are such wonderful creatures! My DH and I hope to someday have another dog in the family but for now it's just 3 older cats (down from 5 last year.)

I don't know anything about the Great Danes but seeing Braveheartsmom's first photo of her Dane sitting on the sofa ... I just had to post this photo of my sister and BIL's dog. They have 3 large dogs in the family, one being a 3 year old English Mastiff that is on a special diet to gain weight ... he's @ 215 lbs now and the Vet said he was underweight. When he wants to sit down he just walks over to the sofa or chair, backs up and sits. In this picture my sister was sitting there reading the paper and he just sat on her. She had to push him to the side and she scooted over to the corner. He is way too heavy to be a lap dog!

This is Big Bubba, a Gentle Giant:

Thumbnail by plantladylin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5942111

He is so cute!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5942120

Fleur: So sorry for the loss of your dear "Gypsy". I know how hard it is to lose a loving member of the family. My Mom used to call our backyard our pet cemetery as we have 3 dogs and 6 or 7 cats, as well as a bird buried out there. It's so hard to make the decision to have a loving pet euthanized but you did the right thing for your Gypsy. I have known some who just can't let go and they don't realize their pets are suffering. I think it's always right to do what's best for our pets, rather than us. We want them to hang on as long as possible but sometimes that isn't the best thing for them and it is the humane thing to let them go.

You truly are an inspiration ... there is a special place in Heaven for those who rescue neglected and abused animals. I am one who truly believes we will see our loved ones again some day ... humans and pets alike. This is for you and everyone who is grieving the loss of a dear pet: http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

edited to say: turn up your volume and get out the hankies. Makes me cry every time I see it, but happy tears!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2008 10:12 PM
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5942163

Pepper: He is cute but HUGE! My sister and her husband have 3 large dogs. Bubba is the largest but they also have a yellow lab that weighs 105 and a black lab/chow mix that is right at 100 lbs (but she is overweight and on a diet to lose a few pounds!) They are very friendly dogs but have NOT been trained! My BIL jokes that "Zach" the yellow lab, flunked out of puppy kindergarten!

We have always been fond of large breed dogs in my family. My DH and I had an Alaskan Malamute and a mixed breed (Lab/German Shepherd) in the past ... but we could never have any dog, large or small that is not trained! The older I get the scarier it gets going to my sisters house with those big dogs. Their dogs are very friendly, but like to jump up on you to try and get attention. Before my Mom passed away she was very frail, and we were so worried that she would get knocked down by one of the dogs and end up with a broken bone. Luckily that never happened but those dogs are like a bunch of three year olds, vying for attention and trying to push each other out of the way to get all the attention.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 30, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5943135

My dear friends who read this, if you intend to click on the above link, make sure your hankies are at hand. I just clicked and watched without hankies. I am now wearing a white T-shirt with wet sleeves. You have now been warned twice.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5943280

Love the picture of Big Bubba, he IS a big boy!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5943920

It is a wonderful website for all who have lost a dearly loved pet. Whenever we have to have a pet euthanized our Vet sends us a sympathy card for that particular pet, along with a laminated card with the Rainbow Bridge Poem. We've lost many an old guy/gal over the years. We had one cat that almost made it to the ripe old age of 24! We had to have her euthanized 2 months shy of her 24th birthday.

Didn't mean to make anyone sad with posting the link. The first time I saw it, I was very sad but now I find it a joy to click on that link every once in awhile. Reinforces my belief that there is a place in heaven for all of God's creatures!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5946858

Remembering those special companions that are no more is a good kind of sadness.

Thanks.
Sylvain.
fleurone
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #5963102

Thank you everyone I miss my girl but I know one day another needy one will come along.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6532064

bump

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #6532654

Bump... Bumb... Bumbe... Is that like Inspector Clouseau in the original Pink Panther movie: "There iz ae bumbe in ze rumm"?

My other favorite line from that movie is: "Duz yur dogue baate?". And of course, he gets bitten. Seen it a thousand times, it's always funny.

How are you today, princess?

Big kisses and take care.
Pu'ole.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6533286

Better.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 11, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6533491

I'm glad to hear it.

These things take time. We're all pulling for you.

Alhoa.
Pu'ole.
ToucanOasis
Tilaran
Costa Rica

July 15, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6821678

I miss having Danes. I bred them for years...German/Italian bloodlines but the short lifespan was heartbreaking so I converted to American Bulldogs.

Thumbnail by ToucanOasis

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6822051

Jen, how is Braveheart and Sandy?

Christi
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6822489

Aloha,

What beautiful animals ToucanOasis, and you are so right about their heartbreakingly short life span.

Both mine animals are very elderly now (being 9 1/2 years old), and both have back problems which cause them to drag their back feet sometimes. Luckily we have found a vet that comes to the house when needed as it would be almost impossible to load the dogs into the car anymore. We are fast looking at the inevitable although the vet says that given their age they are in good shape.

I have never in my whole life been without a dog (or three!) but I will not be getting more pups when my clowns go - but if I did, it would be Danes again ! If any of you know the cartoon "Marmaduke" - that is just what a Dane is like!

Special hug for you Christi ^_^

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6822843

Aloha!

Oh, BHM and everyone who reads this thread, may your babies live a long, healthy and happy life and may they be with you for a good long time to come, before being recalled to that great dog park in the sky.

And when the inevitable comes, may you find solace in the fact that their life was good, they never lacked for anything and you cared deeply about them. I have lost pets before. It is very hard on those who stay behind. Gail and I are the kind that mope around for 3 days when we lose one of our tropical fish (a rare occurence).

Our ball phython is reputed to have a life span of 30 years. She is just about 1 year old now. So I guess she'll outlive us. Who will take care of her then? Let's live in the moment. The rest will follow soon enough.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6822990

I needed to be reminded, Sylvain. Live in the moment.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6823057

Yes, live in the moment and for the moment. You cannot alter the past and you have precious little control over the future. Live each and every waking moment to the fullest because tomorrow will come but we may not be part of it.

Five years ago, I was forced to look inwards into a deep, dark, hidden corner of myself. It's a place you will only enter kicking and screaming and only when you are forced into it. It doesn't kill you but you inevitably come back a changed person. I remember the day I went there like it was yesterday, like it was a physical place, like a place I visited in my cruises. I returned a changed man. Every day, I thank Him above for that experience. It was like being reborn. It saved me.

My conclusion: live fully and regret nothing. Je ne regrette rien. I regret nothing. Here's a link Mme Edith Piaf singing what has become an anthem for me. I offer you 2 minutes 24 seconds of pure pleasure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gpBncR8zI

I love you all, my friends. Keep well.
Sylvain.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6823412

Pure beauty. Could that be loosely translated: Never regret?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 19, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6837845

"I regret nothing" would be the translation...and if you knew the life of Mme. Piaf (beautiful but depressing movie for me) you will know what a mouthful that is!!!!

Carol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6838024

Thank you, Carol. I'm more accustomed to Spanish dialogue.
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

July 19, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6838077

My daughter in law recently brought home a Neopolitian mastiff puppy. I think it is 4 months old. What a funny looking creature. He is all feet, and legs and is falling all over himself. He has these giant eyes and he has just begun to sag. hahahah She says he at full growth will be 185 pounds!!!!!! Now that is a big pile of poo!!!!!!!!!.

I lost my elderly dog recently. It was a big loss to me. After about 2 weeks of saying to myself and everybody else NO MORE DOGS,I got so lonely i went to the Humane Society, lucked out and found the love of my life, a 7 year old Brussels Griffin mix. What a darling!!!!! He is 13 pounds of cute. A running puffball. He looks like a cross between a Benji and and an Ewok. He took over the house in about 3 days.

Because he is so small i was concerned my 3 cats might beat him up. No chance. He put them in their place very quickly!

The only thing i know about him is his previous owners passed away and he had been a running back yard, flea bag for quite awhile before he ended up in the pound. Whoever had him before me really loved him because he is perfectly trained, except an occasional leg lift on the nearest flower pot. This island (Kaua`i) is so small I keep expecting someone to come up to me and tell me they recognize the little guy and tell me who his previous owners were.

I have never let a dog sleep in my bed. This one can sleep in my bed. This one can do what ever he wants. He has completely won my heart. He has completely won me over about regarding adult dogs. From now on if i am ever faced with having to get another dog it will be an adult.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6838747

Hi, everyone.

I am writing this on my laptop, a task I totally despise because I find the keyboard's flatness awkward. A brown-out wreaked havock with my hard drives on my desktop and I lost all my data. Luckily, the data was backed-up every night on my external hard disk. That is how i came to find out that my desktop should NEVER have been conveted to Windows Vista in the first place. I am now the proud owner of an idiot box that can't even connect to the internet. I will be re-installing programs for weeks to come.

QWe are now in the middle of a downpour here but no thunder or lightning. I am sorry I couldn't provide a translation for Rien de Rien. The fates conspired against me there. Anyhow, I'm back and yes Carol (thank you), Rien de rien translates as I regret nothing.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6838790

I have now owned my first iMac laptop for two weeks today. You're right about the keyboard but I have the option of purchasing a wireless regular size keyboard. I did get the wireless mouse right away. Can't do without that. Presently on our "remodeled" deck and I love the freedom of having the pc outside.

PK

It would take 25 pictures to begin to show even half of it. The chair with the back to the camera is where I am sitting right now.

Thumbnail by LouC

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 19, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6838944

That looks cozy.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6839234

This is Becky's view.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6839254

my view of the koi pond

Thumbnail by LouC

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6839433

Gorgeous pictures. I notice you have what appears to be a thalia dealbata near the waterfall in the pond. I had one of those in Montreal that resisted the frightful winters over there every years, grew to 5 feet as soon as it got warm and bloomed year after year. Ah, memories...

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
ToucanOasis
Tilaran
Costa Rica

July 20, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6840861

I used to know a dude named Sylvain that lived in Delray.
Are you a machinist ?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6840943

Hi Sylvain,

BHM, could you tell me more about the liquid that you put in your dog's food for arthritis? My Lil' Boy is starting to have problems jumping up and no longer likes to go for walks. (He's a Shih Tzu.) The vet has tried 2 different meds, to no avail.

Thanks.

Oh, Hi everyone.

Hap
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6841831

Aloha.

Hap, I give them Glucosamine made by Wellesse. It has 2000 mg glucosamine, 1200 mg chondroitin and 500 mg of msm (whatever that is). They get 2 Tbs per day - one mixed in with each meal. We buy it at Cosco. We also give them 1 baby aspirin a day. The glucosamine has been okayed by the vet who also added the 1 baby aspirin per day. I can't tell you if this really works or not because they have been on it for the past few years and they have never missed a dose, so I am not sure just how stiff they would be without it. I am so sorry to hear Lil' Boy is starting to have problems, perhaps you can give this a try - I am not sure of the dosage for your little guy though... do let us know if it helps.

d_Thom, your new friend sounds wonderful - we need pictures! Many of the dogs we have had in the past have been adult or adult-ish dogs from the pound, and they have always been wonderful, although not as well trained as yours! I am so glad you have found such a nice "new best friend".

Christi, what a lovely lanai! I could sit there all day long, especially as it looks like Mike is preparing to bbq in the picture! I think of you guys often...

Jenn

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6842756

Hi, everyone.

Nancy, that dosage is for a great dane. Archie would need much, much less. Jenn, how much does your big guy weigh? Let's say for example that the great dane is 80 lbs and Archie is 8 pounds, you would only give him 1/10 of the dosage. Most dosage is by weight.

Sheldon sent me a recipe for golden raisins soaked in gin for a week and that you eat 9 raisins every morning for arthritis relief. Now, if a person can be helped with 9 raisins, Archie could probably find relief with 2 raisins.

ToucanOasis, you used to know someone called Sylvain that lived in Delray Beach... must have been a good guy but it's not me. All the time I lived in Montreal, I never came across another Sylvain Forest. Now that I am living in Florida, I know of 3 with that unusual name.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6843071

I tried the raisin/gin thing. Didn't help the arthritis much but I did care less.

hahahaha.

We finally had 1/2 inch rain today. First in weeks, plus a break in the 100+ temps.

The neighbors are shocked that we have essentially joined our yards. It has worked out quite well as we are both avid gardners and now they are sharing the koi pond with us. Somehow we have been very respectful of the others privacy. Sometimes we chatter, sometimes we don't.This is actually the side yards of each home...long narrow spaces. Happens we each have doors opening out to this area. The lion's share of my yard is to the south and east. Covered with plants. Goal is to eliminate all st. augustine grass as it is useless and is a water hog. Wish I had a wide lense camera. Will try another little piece.

Thumbnail by LouC

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 20, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6843108

Never, never, never give a dog raisins or grapes. It messes up their kidneys, causes them to have uncontrollable bowel movements.

Garlic, onions, and chocolate are also toxic to dogs.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6843278

Thanks to both Sylvain and Dave. You are probably life savers. Sylvain is close, but with his father's treats, Archie now weighs 15 lbs, which is really not that bad.

Yes, I would like to know how much he would need at 15lbs. I'll give anything a try. I like the ASA thingy. But even 81mg, would that be too much?

I had a nun tell me over 50 years ago when I was in HS, that I should take 1 ASA a day. How did she know? She was surely right on and she was in her late 70s at that time. Smart lady!! Loved her and think of her often.

Thanks again all.

Hap
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 20, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6843340

What a diverse conversation! Perfect example of how to meander blissfully, and yet find our way back home.

Christi - how I want to just cuddle up on that deck and talk the day away! Iced ginger tea, good conversation and gentle scents wafted in on cool breezes...heaven!

d_thom - your new friend sounds like a match made in heaven. Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics!

NO NO NO - there cannot be another Sylvain! One is quite enough! Precious he is, but no duplications please!

Yokwe all,
Shari
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6843506

This is my little Erin's hideaway

Thumbnail by LouC

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6843510

Hi Princess
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6843511

wish I could send more than one at a time. Deck is actually 4 levels...then there is the rock patio below with a canopy. The deck is covered with wisteria...drops the temps at least 15 degrees.

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6843521

Oh wow! Here we start with Jen's beautiful Danes and look where we are now. My favorite people. Hi, Randy. Cooled off a little a 1/2 inch rain which really helped the plants. Howsomever, (as my grandmother would say) it is to be short lived. Back to 100+ by the weekend. If I could only get all of you here at one time...heaven it would be.

Princess Kilikina

For those of you that don't know: When I went to Jennies in Feb., 2008, it was necessary to translate my name into Hawaiian. Hence, Kilikina. One a very good day I am PK or Princess Kilikina. I am definitely a missplaced islander...

Thumbnail by LouC

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6843528

"If I could turn back time..." Cher
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6843532

It was cloudy most of the day, so I crammed some gardening in this morning before work.
I've been working every weekend since June for overtime, which reminds me I need to sign up for this weekend.
I figure as long as it's horrible hot I'll put in some ot and make some extra money.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6843539

Don't forget, we still have a date.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6843546

I haven't, and I'm needing a full weekend soon.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6843561

If you can stand the heat...I need a personal consultation. Mainly a hug.

PK

Thumbnail by LouC

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6843573

LOL, me too!
and a glass of wine, some silly chat...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6843583

Got all of the above and then some. Mike has been asking about you.
Soon??
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6843599

Yes soon, I think drive again so I can bring more plants.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 20, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6843633

See me...green with jealousy! Have fun!!

Yokwe,
Shari
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6843660

Yes, well wait till your stuck with the Princess and I on your little Island Nation! You may send us on an underwater tour with out oxygen! LOL
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6843732

Aloha,

No, please NEVER give a dog raisins as Dave says - toxic!

My danes are 130lbs or there about...

Having great troubles with the internet, hope to be up to speed soon here at home. I will be checking in when I am at at work!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 21, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6844543

Stuck??? Not on your life! It would be so wonderful to chat with everyone without having computer/internet problems to deal with! It seems like as soon as one of us gets things all fixed up, someone else goes into pooter purgatory.

130 lbs!!! I just weighed Bogie at the vet tech's office...almost 8 lbs. I can't even imagine an indoor pet at 130! Brave indeed is Braveheartsmom!

Yokwe,
Shari
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 21, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #6845028

During avocado season Thelma can weigh up there at about 110 but drops down to about 99 off season!! But she is convinced she weighs about 8 and is a lap dog!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
9:02 AM

Post #6845280

oh I know! My friend has a Great Dane, and those dogs simply think they are people and should be treated as such!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 21, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6845420

hope that Neo pup is getting obedience trained :)
easy to let cute puppies get away with stuff that later isn't going to seem nearly as funny...
they need positive reinforcement from an early age, any dog does but a giant dog with no manners is hard to live with
I swear by Karen Pryor's Clicker Training.
It works wonders & is so much fun for the dog & owner.
My two dalmatians think training time is the best time of the day although the old girl is retired now.
My little old Chita is nearly 15 & she can attest to glucosomine being good for sore joints.
She is getting fish oil too as that is an anti inflammatory.
Can upset tummies in some dogs.
Flax seed is another good one - but my two are allergic to it so it pays to be careful with these herbal remedies & supplements.
My 11 year old 'puppy ' Copper is on the couch with his head resting on his flank, I cannot believe how tightly he can curl himself up.
Very flexible pooch!
I am giving him the supplements to try & keep him that way.
I left it until Chita was showing signs of stiffness & while it has helped I wish I started earlier for her.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6845612

Hello, Aloha, Bonjour, Konichi wa, everyone.
After re-reading that first line, I feel like that teutonic trollop in Blazing Saddles. LOL

Shari, I understand your incredulity. Let me reassure you: there is only one lourspolaire (the polar bear) named Sylvain. I remain to this day often imitated, rarely equalled and absolutely never surpassed. Sometimes, when I am proven right about something, I'll tell Gail: "In the Bear...". She is expected to answer "We trust and all others pay cash". Then we laugh. The Cree indians of James Bay (Canada) believe that The Creator realized that all the other animals would be jealous of the polar bear's beauty and witt. That's why He confined them to the Northern polar regions. And since penguins are so clumsy on land and so tasty, He placed them at the South pole to protect them from the Polar Bear's voracious appetite. Those were truly wise decisions, if you ask me.

My father's side of the family always fancied dried fruits and nuts of every kind. I like all foods. In my pre-diabetic life, I had dried fruit almost every day: figs, dates, prunes, raisins, pineapple, papaya, trail mix, etc. We owned this very good little Lhassa Hapso mixed-breed dog that lived to the ripe old age of 16 1/2 years old. As a rule of thumb, what I ate, the dog ate with the notable exception of chocolate. The dog even knew that when I had chocolate, she couldn't have any. Smart little dog, she was.

I tell you all this about dried fruits and nuts because I swear I had no idea that raisins were bad for dogs. Nancy, I am sorry I mentionned that soaked raisin thing. You know I wouldn't hurt Archie. With Gail's arthritis, I leave no stone unturned to try to bring her some sort, any sort of relief. If it entailed dancing the can-can naked on the roof under the full moon, I'd be there and you all know it. I can see it from here: Delray Beach's production of Polar Bear On The Roof. It would stop traffic. As they say in showbiz, it would bring down the house (literally). The roof would probably need a roofer's attention afterwards but I'd do it. The raisins are soaking in the kitchen. I'll let you know how that turns out. The way I see it, it's the gin and she should have a good swig of it at least once a day.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
Edited because I can't make a coherent sentence this morning. Where's that coffee?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 8:42 AM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6845789

Have you given up your Thong Dance?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6846560

Of course not. But that is to be used with the greatest of restraint because it can cause such calamities worldwide. As a matter of fact, thanks for reminding me. My flowery purple thong is still in its secret hiding place in Lauderhill. I will have to retrieve it and hide it in Delray Beach. I shudder at the thought of the condo's new owner finding it by mistake and the devastation it might bring.

Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6846611

RITFLMBO
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 21, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6847926

Ha ha ha...I second that emotion!

Yokwe,
Shari
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

July 22, 2009
8:12 AM

Post #6849826

lol - I have an image of a polar bear in a purple thong tap dancing on a hot tin roof :)

I work at an RSA - Returned & Services Association, we have a few WWII veterans but more K-Force (Korea) & Vietnam Vets come in to the bar these days.
Anyway many of them swear by prunes in gin.
They need soaking for 6 weeks before eating one a day.
I am guessing it is similar to the raisins - but I suspect a person of mature years might benefit from the daily prune as well as the dose of gin ;)

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6849929

My grandmother soaked fresh-picked plums in rhum and sugar for 4 months. They were a Holiday dessert item for adults only. The leftover heavy syrup was used to make cookies. Nothing went to waste in our house. She kept the prunes' pits to stuff pillows for our guests so they wouldn't overstay their welcome. She also used peach pits for stuffing pillows but we had way more plums growing in our trees than the amount of peaches we bought at the store. Waste not, want not.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6850529

hahahaha House guests and fish begin to stink after three days. Never thought of putting rocks in the pillows.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6851150

As everyone knows, there are many ways to get rid of guests. Here are a few of mine:
- serve tofu, beans and broccoli a every meal,
- When you pass wind, blame the snake,
- brew weak and tepid coffee,
- use the chipped dishes,
- have the food you cook burn and stick.
- tell them the dishwasher is broken and have them pitch in at the sink,
- play classical music (I love harpsichord and pipe organ music anyway),
- watch recorded Laurence Welk tapes and André Rieux specials you recorded on PBS (HUGH),
- walk around in your underwear,
- scratch even if it doesn't itch,
- turn off the water heater,
- fight with your spouse constantly,
- make sure everyone is up and at it at 6AM,
- challenge them to a scrabble tournament (best 40 out of 79),
- hide the snake somewhere safe and tell them it escaped - enlist everyone in the search,
- etc., etc., etc.,

I could go on for hours.What's your technique for getting rid of sticky guests?

Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 22, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6851264

Wandering abck to an earlier topic, I have alway heard that garlic is OK for dogs and mine eat a lotof it. Onions and chocolate are no-no's.

Regardeing the last subject, six garlic-eating dogs is another way to discourage company from over-staying their welcome.

kb
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6851269

whew!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6851309

As always, Sylvain, you have it down to a science. LOL

Hap
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 22, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6851940

I never want guests to leave! Well, almost never! I really enjoy having friends and family stay for a while, does that make me weird?

Yokwe,
Shari

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 22, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6852114

No, Shari. I don't think that makes you weird at all. But you see, Gail and I are used to being just the 2 of us alone in our house. After a while, we long for our quiet life back. Company pleases twice: once when they arrive and once again when they leave. Luckily, we don't have sticky friends and we have never needed to oust any of them away but as you can tell, I have a plan if that ever happened.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6852570

Also being on an island that is controlled by the gvomint precludes an awful lot of compny.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 23, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6853646

Yep, that is true Christi, but we can sponsor anytime we want someone to come visit...and I always loved company at our home stateside too. I guess it comes down to I like company, but I'd rather have it than be it...ya know?

Yokwe,
Shari
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6854407

someday...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6873842

It's a beautiful confirmation of love/friendship = good friends/family who enjoy being with you SO much they come out to you. Magnificent!!! And people like that are bound to be 'close'... Really hard on short visits, eh Shari. So you share your little rock and get to relive it's beauty and uniqueness with them which renews your love for it each time!!! I hear you girlfriend..

We used to live on the small island of Menorca in Spain. It was 2 miles wide and 10 miles long and full of history...but when we lived there there were few flights per week and it was a real hassle, so we knew whenever anyone made that effort to visit us, they were really good people and good friends. (half crazy and bored enough to do it!)

Bob would rather come out of his shop for nutrients when he only MUST...but I do notice he lights up with company!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6876460

LOL...sounds like Bob hasn't changed too much! :)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6877058

Carol, it is so nice to hear my feelings put into words like that! It is obvious that you completely "grok" my situation...ha, anybody read Heinlein? I loved the concept of "grok" from Stranger in a Strange Land. My goodness! How we have gotten off topic yet again! Jenny dear, maybe we all want to be reincarnated as one of YOUR great danes! Talk about livin loved!!!

Yokwe,
Shari
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6877090

Yep Shari...grok is one of my very most favorite words!!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6877107

aaah Grok, Stranger in a Strange Land!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6877258

And to any who don't know what we're talking about...give it a read, great story, great characters and a wonderful concept of total understanding. Have fun!

Yokwe,
Shari
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6877721

Hear Hear...
funny that we've read that..that gives me a deeper look! Cheers!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 29, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6877784

Yup...I grok you both mo'bettah!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 29, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6881748

You are surprised???? Not I. There is a reason we are friends...ha ha. Do you guys read David Baldacci? That is another guy that makes me THINK. Every story is like a challenge to ones little grey cells...he says, "OK, so that's what you are being told by TV, Newspapers, your government; so question, analyze, think! Now make up your own mind!" I love him. And here I go off topic yet again!!!

Yokwe,
Shari
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6881827

only in the sense that it is an obscure subject, but not surprised in the sense that we're cut from the same cloth so to speak.
I have read a Baldacci or two.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America