Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: Too late to plant hardy hibiscus?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5749732

My MIL brought over a hardy hibiscus (hibiscus moscheutos 'pino grigio') for me on Saturday, which altho nice, was unasked for. Anyhoo, she said just throw it in the ground and see what happens. But I'm wondering if I should somehow insulate the container really well and keep it in the garage over the winter? It appears to have gone completely dormant already (or else it's dead). Any advice would be appreciated.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5751831

According to Plantfiles it's only hardy to zone 5. I don't grow hibiscus, but in general I have the best luck with "late arrivals" if I just go ahead and plant them, then mound about a foot of peat moss on top of them when the ground freezes, usually about Thanksgiving. But hopefully someone who knows hibiscus can give a more specific answer.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5753214

The tag says it's midwest grown and hardy to -20 F. So we should be ok hardiness-wise (is that a word?) I was mainly concerned that there wouldn't be enough time for it to get settled before the first hard freeze. I guess I'll chance it and mulch it well. Thanks!
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5754515

I have this plant. Just a word of caution. It is very late to emerge so you may have to wait until early June to determine if the plant survivied. I would recommend sinking the pot in the ground and mulching it well.

Good luck.

Felisa

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America