Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Too late to plant hardy hibiscus?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My MIL brought over a hardy hibiscus (hibiscus moscheutos 'pino grigio') for me on Saturday, which altho nice, was unasked for. Anyhoo, she said just throw it in the ground and see what happens. But I'm wondering if I should somehow insulate the container really well and keep it in the garage over the winter? It appears to have gone completely dormant already (or else it's dead). Any advice would be appreciated.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

According to Plantfiles it's only hardy to zone 5. I don't grow hibiscus, but in general I have the best luck with "late arrivals" if I just go ahead and plant them, then mound about a foot of peat moss on top of them when the ground freezes, usually about Thanksgiving. But hopefully someone who knows hibiscus can give a more specific answer.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The tag says it's midwest grown and hardy to -20 F. So we should be ok hardiness-wise (is that a word?) I was mainly concerned that there wouldn't be enough time for it to get settled before the first hard freeze. I guess I'll chance it and mulch it well. Thanks!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I have this plant. Just a word of caution. It is very late to emerge so you may have to wait until early June to determine if the plant survivied. I would recommend sinking the pot in the ground and mulching it well.

Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.