Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Violas and Violettas: Violas not blooming - HELP!

Communities > Forums > Violas and Violettas
bookmark
Forum: Violas and ViolettasReplies: 9, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5750799

Hi Everyone,

I ive in Fort Worth Texas, a transplant from Pa. I have always loved the violets and Lily of the Valley and insist on growing both here. The violets (don't know the cultivar, "could be blueberry cream according to my journal" bloomed on short stems the first year I put them in (04'& 05'). The leaves looks healthy but I will only get a couple of flower stems on very short stems in the spring, never any standing above the leaves. I just checked them and I see that they have some flower stems but they seem to be stunted. I can see the stems which are about 1/2" tall in the crown, they never get any taller and just seem to stay in that state. What am I doing wrong? I also put in Labrador violets and the same thing happens, they must be blooming at some time because I am getting seedlings as far as three feet from the mother plant and see the dried seed pods which again do not rise any higher than the crown. Too much soil around the crown? I never had this problem when growing them up North.

Any information on growing these sucessfully would be helpful.

Thanks
DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5750834

CORRECTION ON LAST POST

I just checked my journal again and the violets are not blueberry cream, those were violas I planted in those years.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 4, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5752081

D-12,

I have the same problem with mine here. The only plants I see the flowers showing on are the ones in the lawn. I am sure that is because the large/mature leaves get mowed. I used to grow one kind of violet when I lived in Austin that had showy flowers above the foilage, never knew the name.

You might want to go to a good garden center and ask them for a variety that is adapted to TX. I suspect the variety you are growing is not adapted to living so far south. I do know there are some that will give you a good show, but, now you have to find them.

I just planted seeds for V. hederacea 'Blue Form' (Australian Violet), the seeds I got from some folks in England. I know they grow and give showy blooms here in the deep south. If you see me post some photos this summer just ask for some seeds, always happy to share seeds, especially since I got them for free.

Dale

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5753220

I finally found out which variety these violets are: viola odorata
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5753533

I am not completely certain, but, there are sub-species and many violas that are look-a-likes. Did you bring these plants with you when you moved or did you get them locally?

I only grow violas and pansies (in winter)>

DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5754984

I bought them her in FW, the pic you are showing are what are known as pansies in Tx. We too only plant them in the winter. I will take a close up pic of the leaves and crown and post it to better identify.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 5, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5756120

I've heard that both the viola sorbet and viola penny series are heat tolerant which I think may be what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5756477

Datura,

Technically speaking those plants above are viola, small flowered 'pansies' are Viola cornuta hybrids, (usually) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/118821/ The big flowered pansies are Viola x wittrockiana (hybrids) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/129200/.

Have you ever been here?> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=viola&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search I am always amazed at the number of plants that carry the same species and genus name.

Back to the viola in your garden, the V. odorata. I know they flower best when neglected. If you fertilize or are too generous with compost they will tend to grow leaves at the expense of flowers.

I still believe you need to find a different species, that can be a challenge.

Large Flowering Viola (pansy)>

DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5761037

Dale, went to the link you sent, boy there really is a lot of species. I chkd. the infor. on the Labrador that I have and one person seemed to have the same problem I did. I think your right I need to find a different species, Tx is a tough place to garden especially for a Yankee like me who insists on trying to grow, azalea, lily of the valley and hydrangea..can't take the Yankee memories out of the girl even after 20 years of living here. LOL

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Peg
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5761339

Peg,

I lived in Austin for 13 yrs. and it was a big change from Minnesota, where I grew up. In Mpls we had Aspen trees growing wild. When I compared our plants to other plants around the world I usually found that climate most like ours was Siberia. It is warmer in Alaska in winter than Mpls. I didn't see my first palm tree growing in the ground until I was 16.

If you haven't already, you should get over to http://local.yahoo.com/info-18882627-fort-worth-botanic-garden-fort-worth and use them as a resource. The folks that work or volunteer there will be able to offer you guidance in your struggles. Better advice than you will get online.

I know Dallas has one also. http://www.dallasarboretum.org/ & http://www.texasdiscoverygardens.org/

eye candy that is not a viola>

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
All violets are not the same anastatia 8 Sep 25, 2007 1:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America