Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Roses: What kind of gardener are you?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 258, Views: 2,338
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 5, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5755651

I am watching my across-the-street neighbor in awe once again as she mows her lawn. She mows it every week, and then does her other gardening, dressed in a pink warm up suit, white tennis shoes, and a large-brimmed white floppy hat. Her hair is perfect, her pink gloves look spotless, and she never appears to perspire even in temps approaching 100 degrees. I am amazed! She is what I would call the neat and tidy gardener. She does a beautiful job with her yard and somehow remains beautiful herself through the process. How does she do it?!

I, on the other, am more of the garden warrior type. When I am done gardening for the day, I look like I've gone a couple of rounds in a dirt pit, and that I most likely lost! My gloves, clothing, and sometimes even hair, look as if I was somehow just exiting a jungle home where I'd been lost for 20 years. I'm usually covered with scratches because, although it's wise to cover your arms and legs when working with roses and other thorny foliage, I always somehow forget this wisdom and dress in shorts and a short-sleeve or sleeveless shirt. Now, don't get me wrong... I can priss up with the best of them when going out... but somehow I always seem to wear as much dirt as I've planted in while gardening.

Then there are those who are in the middle... the sensible gardener. These gardeners get the job done without looking like they dived headfirst into the flower bed in the process. They have dirt on their gloves and tools, but not much on themselves.

Of course, there are other types too. Do you fit one of these descriptions or have one of your own? Share, please! =)

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5755730

It takes me about one minute to get covered in dirt, I don't know how it happens! No matter how careful I am it's like the minute I get near a plant the dirt jumps up on my clothes, my arms, my hands, my face and into my hair. And of course even if it's dry somehow my shoes get covered with gooey mud! I have special gardening clothes that are the opposite of your neighbors, really old and beat up, because I know they will get filthy instantly and really need washing after about 5 minutes outside! So I look like a bag lady when I garden.:o)
Catsma
Windermere, FL

November 5, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5756212

I garden in my Crocs, oldest tshirt I can find and elderly shorts because I know, even though I try my hardest, I am going to wind up covered in dirt somehow.

I do wear gloves though because we have nettles popping up here and there in the yard and I can never remember what they look like. You only grab those things barehanded once...LOL The time I did, I spent the rest of the afternoon with fresh aloe sap, ice cubes and then Cortaid all over my palm.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
10:23 PM

Post #5756502

I usually dress with my custom tool belt, it has assorted supplies hanging upon it. On the immediate right is a can of Off (Texas ya know), to the right of that I have Rose gloves the ones with the rubber coating on them, to the right of that I have small clippers for small cuttings, then a pair of larger cutters, then I have a garden pen and cut up blades as lables, on the back of the belt I sport a tool my husband made me it is a stick with a nail inserted in it for picking up leaves too far back in a garden to feetch. On the left side of the belt I have a water bottle with a plastic hose that runs up to a necklace , when I turn my head to the left I can sip from it usually Iced tea, beside that is a misting bottle with the hose running to my left hand, pinned on my long sleeved shirt to the cuff, so I can mist my face when I get hot. Next to that is a bag of cheetos, just in case.
The knee high rubber boots I have on have a few things dangling from them, a camera, a wireless house phone, don't want to miss a call, especially if it concerns daylilies. I carry a bag of epsom salts as well. I stuff an umbrella in the left boot on the outside for shade mostly but an occasional shower does occur , it serves me well. I have a red bandana around my forhead then a straw hat on top of that. Yes I am well equiped for the outside adventures that await me, from catching that butterfly picture to full assault on the red ant hills in the backyard.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 5, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5756620

TroubleX2, you certainly sound like Trouble times two!!! WIth that get-up, you'd be ready for a hurricane while gardening!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5756632

the kind that gets filthy dirty and then complains about hands/feet looking awful, just awful. Folks, to be clear, I do wash my hands/feet but they simply don't look as pretty as my non-gardening friends, sigh.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5756909

trouble, i would say you might be a militant gardner type then?lol? you certainly sound like you are dressed and prepared for combat.

I can't stand the feel of dirt on my hands, it's like they suck all the oil out of them, so i have to wash them often and apply lotion. Gloves are too hot and bulky. I hate to bend over so i usually try and sit on my butte and scoot around, mashing the grass and sometimes weeds. I prefer to do things while standing, so if there is a tool for that i will, otherwise it's down on my rear. A must have for me is a sweat band, otherwise i can't see from all the salt and sweat burning my eyes.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5757414

len lol ! im a filthy gardener too . and my dh says my hands and feet look like they've been through a meat grinder , i go bare foot as much as possible . oh the most painfull thing happened . i was cutting off some big fat canes off of a climber that got hit with a cane bore, i was bare foot of course and glove-less and most likely in my pjs lol. for some reason i took off running and stepped full force on a cane long ways up the middle of my foot . i dropped like i was tackled by a 300 lb football player . i was saying some bad words and had to pull it out of my foot . there were 6 thorns in my foot with the cane attached so i pulled the cane and yelled and limped back to the house .the worst part was, as i stepped down i felt the first one go in then the second and so on .i was moving so fast i couldnt stop. it was like the pain was in slow mo but my foot wasnt .
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 6, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5757604

Iris... OUCH!!!
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5758589

Yikes, iris, my feet hurt just reading that!!

Len, I too don't like to stoop over when gardening if I can help it so being a lazy gardener I bought one of those little rolling seats. It has a place for garden tools underneath plus a cup holder for liquid refreshment, although obviously I'm not nearly as well equipped as TroubleX2! It took some practice to get it to roll straight by wiggling my hips, at first I would go rolling off into the lawn instead of along the edge of the flower bed like I was trying to! :o)
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5760131

My feet get so dirty in the summer months that I have to scrub them with a stiff brush when I shower and they still look dirty. I actually use a Dremel tool sander on my feet to buff down the ground in dirt and callously parts.
I sweat like a hog and my hair gets all wet and I have splothes of dirt all over my shirt and shorts. My eyes get red from the sweat running into them.

Whats up with that lady neighbor of yours?
Thats crazy!
Do you live next door to Martha Stewart?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5760149

wearing no socks in the summer really nastifies your heels. I've been thinking about buying this gadget. anybody uses it? But I also know that the more you scrape, the more tender the area and then the easier and the more often is callouses. It's a losing battle.

http://www.pedegg.com/?directLoad&uid=7A5EA3BBEEE2FF76254C1E4CE50ACD34
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5760191

I love to go barefoot ( so get alot of callouses) but usually wear Crocks in the garden but my feet still get dirty cuz I often kick my Crocks off.
I can't use your basic buffers...hence the Dremel.
That egg thing (metal part) looks like a typical foot scraper you could probably get cheaper at Wal- Mart but it would be just be straight with
a handle. (like a small cheese grater)
I've used every kind of foot cream, anti-fungal, callous remover preperation, ointment and lotion but nothing seemed to work until
I got this stuff on www.hsn.com
called "To Skin Care" Cracked Heel Renewal.
I put it on every night before bed and put some socks or footies on and its actually gotten rid of my cracked heels.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5760207

my poor heels are like asiago cheese. I guess I should forget about thed ped-egg and just get me a cheese grater, lol
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5760228

I bought a puma stone at walmart, it works if you use it after you take a shower, or your feet are well hydrated. Once upon a time i bought some clogs, somewhere online that had little foot messagers built into the shoe, constantly you would have to blow or shake the little flakes of skin out of them. Your feet will look like young children's feet, but you can't wear them constantly, because your feet start getting so tender and sore when you walk.
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5760246

If your feet are "cheesy" tender :o) you could try a pumice stone and moisturizer like Lubriderm.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 6, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5760248

Vicky, the first time I saw Jeanie outside that way when she was working in the yard, a song from the old Disney movie "Summer Magic" came to mind... "The Pink of Perfection"!!! I have no idea how she does it. She's by herself doing all the mowing, gardening... everything. So, she's unloading the grass catcher and hauling dirt just like I am. It's a puzzlement!

I have a PedEgg... I loved it at first, but then over time it was no longer a good idea for me. Like Nery said, over time, it makes the area more tender. Yes, it was softer for a while, but then it got to where it was splitting when I would walk barefoot on the aggregate... so that's definitely not an improvement. I think I'd rather be able to do what I want and have callouses rather than have soft feet but be timid to go barefoot.
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5760249

Hey Len where did you get those?
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5760317

vicki, it may have been clogsonline.com, but i didn't see them this time, they may have quit making them, and they are always changing them.
but here is a link to something i found on the internet, they had the little tentacles like the picture on this sandal or whatever it is.
http://www.happyfeet.com/kenkoh-insole.aspx

(i don't know about the stimulation of organs and muscles, i think all i got was tender feet,lol)
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 6, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5760391

I've really chuckled reading this thread. First let me say that I am definitely a dirty gardener. Just as I can't seem to paint a room without winding up covered in paint myself, I can't garden cleanly and neatly like the pink sweatsuit neighbor! I wear my oldest, most disheveled clothes, most often an old T-shirt of DH's, gloves if I'm working in thorns, otherwise, bare hands. I always look and smell as though I've been gardening, no doubt about it. Neighbors who drop over to visit during gardening hours usually try to stand upwind of me! Some have learned not to visit at this time.

I do wear shoes always and socks sometimes. The problem with dirty hands and fingernails is a constant battle. I keep a nail scrubber and lotion near each sink and use them each time I wash. The foot problem is one I don't usually have, but I do use a pumice stone or foot scub each time I shower and apply foot softening balm or cream each night. This is something I do throughout the year and it helps tremendously with that issue, although I don't have those pretty, well manicured feet that I see on lovely tanned women with beautifully coifed hair and well groomed hands. Just keep the nails short and clean and that's about it.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5760473

i dont even try to keep my feet nice in the summer . i wear flip flops and they dont stay on unless im digging a hole , ive been known to do that with my slippers on lol. next year im investing in boots . im a hairstylist also trained in pedicures , manicures, facials the works and i have access to all the good foot stuff . but the thing that works for me is a foot scrubber that has metal on it that looks like sand paper . it has a course side and a fine side . it dosnt tenderize it just gets off the dead cracked skin. then i slather on creamy Vaseline, then socks . oh it helps to soak your feet first . my feet healed over night . dh even complimented it .
my neighbors think im nuts. i heard them say "she likes to dig in that dirt, dont she?" im like at least my yard isnt just a green square lol
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5763372

Cute thread!

I wear my worst clothes for garden chores. Ratty T-shirt or cami or tank top, bra hanging out, holy jeans or cutoff shorts, and sometimes my camo mini-skort handmedown from my teenage daughter. Crocs on my feet for light chores (usually kicked off quickly) or else my old work boots if I'm going to do any shoveling. Hair goes into a ponytail but stays messy, in my eyes regardless. I almost always have to have gloves on, I can't stand dirt under my nails and it is so drying to my hands.

I sit right down in the dirt and do my work. Filthy and fun!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 7, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5763403

Reading these responses, I KNOW I am truly among kindred spirits here! =)

Keep 'em coming!
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5763480

perhaps too racy sorry!

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 1:59 PM
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5763537

ahem! old women, with sun wrinkled faces under all them straw hats weaar tank tops w/ bras hanging out...
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5763569

lol uh oh len you are in trouble
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5765685

Hey I turned 40 this year but I don't feel old YET! LOL
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5766390

Wow...since I just purchased my first three roses, I came to this forum...this thread caught my attention first and I'm sooo glad that I read it. I laughed out loud a few times, which is always a welcome part of the day! :-D Thanks for sharing.

Troublex2..."the militant gardener" is a good title for you...my goodness, you are one prepared lady!!

Iris28...OUCHx10!!!

MiniPonyFarmer...I can relate with your garden attire on a lot of my days playing outside.

BlissfulGarden...I have a neighbor like that too. I loved your description of her and that you broke into song in your head...lol! I just don't get it - how someone can do all that and look so great before, during and after!? Those are truly the people that live by the saying..."never let 'em see you sweat"

As far as what kind of gardener I am:

I am probably best described as a moody gardener and since Cancer the crab is my sign, that's even more fitting...lol! One day, I could be out in my pink fuzzy robe and slippers, with deshoveled hair, drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette...catch eye of a weed that I've been having a staring contest with for the passing week and decide that today will be the day that it meets it's demise. Then of course, since my hands are already dirty, I keep playing in the dirt.

Once in a while, I will dress up and be ready to go somewhere soon. Then it happens...I start looking at something that just "has to be done" right then, climb into my flower bed and start messing with whatever it was that caught my attention. Only to realize, that I have to go back inside to get "cleaned up" again.

Otherwise, my everyday gardening shoes are flip flops, which I've gotten lectured about many times from family, friends and myself on certain days. I have hurt myself plenty of times by now. So, you would think that I would learn my lesson. If fact, as we speak, I have a open cut on my big toe from tripping over my pineapple shaped hose roller, which I should add - I have already hurt myself on a half a dozen times or more this year. My usual choice for clothes is a tank top and shorts. Sometimes bra hanging out...well, or other things, considering that strapless bras are *definitely* not made for gardening...eeek...yeah, I said it! (Len123, I curious to know what you edited out...hmmm?)

Wearing gloves: I have a dozen or more pairs...they're usually located in what I refer to as my glove stew bucket. A bucket that consists of vinegar and water and other gloves that have been deemed to dirty to use. Now, if I would actually finish the process of washing them, then I would have gloves abound! Yes, I am a procrastinator too. So, if I am doing something that absolutely requires gloves, then I resort to using my dishwashing gloves or wearing one of the lefties that I have found lying around. In other words, most of the time I am gloveless. My hands are rough and usually have that lovely perma-dirt look. Getting a manicure would just be a waste of money for me. I can also relate to the never-ending saga of dirty feet as well. On the subject, I find it funny that my husband-to-be is an engineer and therefore, is the one with beautiful smooth hands. That is, until I enlist his help in the yard. That's usually the only time that he gets his hands dirty and/or roughed up!

Oh, one more thing...I frequently have a Foster's beer in hand or beside me while gardening. ;-)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5766421

couldn't have beer. Would overdo it, then plant things upside down...hickup...

PS: BUT, and that is only a but, no Fosters for me. Has to be Shiner Bock. yeehaw!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 8, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5766455

Dinkel Acker or Spaten here... my German grandmother had a keen influence on those choices for me!
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5766460

Well, most of the time I don't overdo it. ;-) However, there are a few exceptions though, that have led to, uh, let's just say some less than sound transplanting of things! Shiner Bock, huh...haven't had it.

Disclaimer: no plants were killed during the drinking of the Foster's in my garden.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 8, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5766467

Beautiful... your disclaimer made me laugh out loud! Too funny!
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5766519

Blissful, always happy to make someone laugh out loud. ;-)

Also, considering that I am a "Steiner"...I guess I would do well to try some of these German beers!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5767804

In some respects, I am the opposite of your neighbor. I wear pink tennis shoes and white sundresses, and I value suntans too much to ever wear a hat outside.

My gloves and shoes get very dirty, and my knees get dirty if I'm kneeling to weed, but the rest of me doesn't, although I'm usually bleeding from a thousand cuts and scratches every time I come inside.

I carry nothing with me on my rounds of the garden. For one thing, my dresses have no pockets. For another, if I had some sort of carrying device, I'd be tempted to take my cigarettes and lighter outside and I would never go back inside to take a break. Bizarre as it may sound, not to mention contrary to common practice, I never smoke outside. My nicotine addiction forces me to go inside and take a rest from gardening every hour or so.

I'm completely disorganized about my tools. It seems to me that I spend most of my time in the garden walking around in circles in search of shovels, rakes, loppers, etc. I buy the cheapest tools I can find, because I invariably leave mine outside at the mercy of the elements. I always mean to put them away, but something else always comes up to distract me.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5767913

oh my goodness zuzu i just felt like i was reading about myself . in the spring i always find the rusted tools that have been outside all winter , that drives dh crazy .
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5767935

I am so glad I don't have a DH to drive crazy, Iris. I only drive myself crazy.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5767960

it drives me crazy that it drives him crazy .lol i like to follow my own beat and hardly anything bothers me .
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 8, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5768004

Quoted from Zuzu:
"I'm completely disorganized about my tools. It seems to me that I spend most of my time in the garden walking around in circles in search of shovels, rakes, loppers, etc. I buy the cheapest tools I can find, because I invariably leave mine outside at the mercy of the elements. I always mean to put them away, but something else always comes up to distract me."

This is EXACTLY what I do! To complicate matters, DS does the same thing... so I am sometimes looking for tools in totally foreign places. DH is the worst, though, because he will come behind me and put things "away" in a place that makes absolutely NO sense. So, first I'll look where I should have put something away correctly, then I'll wander around the yard trying to find it, and then I'll spend the next 1/2 hour trying to figure out where DH would have thought was the logical place to put it!!! Talk about frustration... =P

(Sometime I need to learn how to do that quote thing on DG...!)
Catsma
Windermere, FL

November 8, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5768020

LOL..at all these replies. I am glad that I am not alone in getting filthy.

Speaking of which, I just got back inside from planting my new Fortunianas, 6 of which went into the back rose bed against the south facing wall. The last one, McCartney is in a pot for the time being as I cannot decide where to put it because the spaces I had available were just not talking to me.

And yes, I was filthy. Kept putting the gloves on and off since I was shovel pruning 13 out of the 20 Jackson Perkins roses I bought this spring and then mixing the cow manure and potting soil before throwing it in the bottom of the hole. I tried dragging the 40 lb bags across the back lawn but it didn't work so I just picked them up and of course got even dirtier. My feet were disgusting..LOL..even with the Crocs on and I had to soak my hands for 5 mins before I could even wash them properly.

Next thing we need to do is get rid of the rose bed bougainvillea as it has never grown properly and is just taking up space.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5768041

Blissh this is how: type the following

left bracket, the word quote, right bracket, words you want to quote, left bracket, backward slash, the word quote, right bracket

[quote] (Sometime I need to learn how to do that quote thing on DG...)[/quote]

now you try it
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 9, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5768114

[quote]now you try it[/quote]

I had been trying to do that using the standard HTML < and >.

Thanks for the info! =)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5768124

[quote]Thanks for the info!=)[/quote]

you're welcome
seawatch888
San Diego-ScrippsR, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2008
7:17 AM

Post #5769275

When i look across the street, or around the cul de sac, all I see are gardeners with their insane gasoline mowers and chain saws for bush trimming and leaf blowers. We are the only folks who do all our own mowing with an old-fashioned push mower. We are the only ones who actually garden. And why would you need a gasoline mower for a pocket size yard?

I am one who always goes out roughly at the same time every afternoon, waters at the wrong time of day, makes notes on what needs to be done then fails to do it. I often listen to my ipod while I deadhead the roses and have a red bull or two when I rest. I wear a chef's apron with great pockets, blue jeans, and rubber garden shoes.

Tonight I forgot about the time change and had to water in the moonlight. That was a wonderful new experience. But I think I will have to do my gardening earlier in the day.

I also have one of those rolling seats but it is hard to control and hard to get off of. I wouldn't want to be on a slope. My son calls it my "Big Wheel."
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5779319

Cute thread. I have gardened for so many years that most of my little tasks are done in bits of time like stopping for 15 minutes to gather roses for a vase on my way in from the mailbox, then watering the plants in pots etc. In Spring and fall when I need to do more than that I wear old jeans, hiking boots, a tee with a denim shirt(to shade my arms and it actually is cooler than no shirt) and the biggest straw sunhat I can find-skin cancer runs in my family and I have had tons of precancerous things zapped off of me. Those days when I am out in my old clothes and big hat I have had delivery men ask if I am the resident! Guess I look like I would not live here! : ) I have neighbors who don't recognize me when they see me "cleaned up" LOL!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5779465

I laughed so hard at this thread. Y'all are hilarious. TroubleX2 -- I want a picture of you in your outfit!

I wear crocks too and the thorns go right through them and so does dirt, but they are washable which is handy b/c somehow I always find some mud just like midwest_tyro. It's also handy not to bother changing out of my pajamas since whatever I'm wearing is going to get wet and dirty and I'll have to strip at the backdoor when I'm done anyway.

I have great gloves but always forget to wear them. I use this bug/sunscreen lotion from Avon that is the best, but if I lay a magazine down in my lap or rest my arm on anything with color, it takes the ink off and stains my clothes. It's also a magnet for dirt. Oh, and somehow, I am still surprised when I'm in the shower washing my hair and I discover that my hair is full of leaves.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5786705

This is a great thread!! Zuzu describe me perfect in this quote "I'm completely disorganized about my tools. It seems to me that I spend most of my time in the garden walking around in circles in search of shovels, rakes, loppers, etc. I buy the cheapest tools I can find, because I invariably leave mine outside at the mercy of the elements. I always mean to put them away, but something else always comes up to distract me."
I consider myself and A CD gardener!! ( Attention Challenged Disorder)

Follow it up with beautifulchaos's comment of "Once in a while, I will dress up and be ready to go somewhere soon. Then it happens...I start looking at something that just "has to be done" right then, climb into my flower bed and start messing with whatever it was that caught my attention. Only to realize, that I have to go back inside to get "cleaned up" again."

Only for me it is a daily event. I am late to work , church and where ever else we have to go. Something always catches my eye that needs pulling, or deadheaded or moved etc...

Blissfulgarden I could only dream to be like your neighbor. I am always covered from head to toe in dirt, leaves etc. I will go outside to feed the cats in the morning in my pj's and before I know it I am doing something in the garden.
milesf1
Woodstock Valley, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5787734

I think I'm uptight and lazy at the same time. I wear old junky clothes, but invested in some ridiculously expensive garden grips clogs this year, which I promptly trashed by September so they leak now when it is wet out. I wrote the company and they claim this never happens so maybe I'll get a new pair for free! I never even look at myself on weekends, or shave, so I resemble mountain man by Sunday evening. I like everything tidy in the garden so I make a round of deadheading and trimming, etc early in the am...I get totally dirty, but the yard looks great! I also get splinters every time I go near wood, so I try to wear gloves, but that doesn't always happen either...I never leave tools around, I've had some of my stuff going on 12 years, including my two beloved trowels I bought at ACE in something like 1996...and they are green too so holding on to those all these years has not been easy ;-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5787750

what a great thread. i'm really enjoying the read.

i'm a sweaty gardener most of the time and totally anal. i don't get very dirty as a rule. maybe because we mostly have sand here. even when i'm in the garden where there is soil, i seem to repel dirt rather than attract. i wear a ball cap always (skin cancers) and grapeseed moisturizer with zinc slathered on my face, neck and ears. i wear leather gloves for the big stuff and these little rubberized close fit ones for little stuff. i'm usually in my pj's when i start out but if it's really hot, i'll change to a long dress or actual gardening clothes if i have a project. my tool handles are all sprayed orange so i can see them on the ground and i pick everything up and put it away at the end of the day. i can't start one project until the last one is finished and i can spend an hour just making sure a pot is level from all angles. other than the rare time when i am into a "more than one day project", the garden looks as perfect as i can get it when sunset rolls around. i know. i'm sick.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 13, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5787761

Debi, you and Zuzu need to start a "How to Stay Neat in the Garden" class for the rest of us! Or maybe all of us should start a "How to Get Dirty With Gusto in the Garden" class for y'all... Hmmmmmm. ;-)

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5787776

lol...i think you dirty people have more fun in the garden than i do! i'm way too serious.
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5787911

I wear Crocs but my feet get so dirty that now I have a pair of ankle socks that I only wear outside with my Crocs and they are filthy every time I'm done( even when all I do is walk around looking at what needs to be done).I am trying to get used to wearing gloves because my hands look so bad by the end of the summer.I tried a floppy hat, but went back to my old "gimme" hat since it didn't seem as hot.It also helps my hair not stick out all over when it gets all sweaty (I'm sorry I don't know how to "glow" like a good Southern belle)But everything needs to be done by 10:30 am here in the summer or I get so hot my husband makes me come in and cool off.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 14, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5787991

Teacup (imagine my best Southern drawl here)... Suuuthernnnn belles glisssten, dawlin! ;-)
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 14, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5788884

Or we get "dewy." Southern ladies never sweat.
seawatch888
San Diego-ScrippsR, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2008
7:50 AM

Post #5789279

A lot of pj's on this thread!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5789282

Pretty amazing, isn't it, Seawatch? They must have high fences. My nightgowns are almost indistinguishable from my dresses, but I would never go outside wearing my nightgown.
valrita

November 14, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5789767

This is a fun thread!

Usually, I wear sweats, gym shoes and socks, and a T-shirt. I seldom put my hair back though. It's hip-length (no bangs) and straight so every time I bend over to do something I look like cousin it. It gets dirt in it and sometimes it gets snipped a little when I'm dead-heading. No gloves though. I usually plop down on the ground---it's the getting up again that's the problem. LOL

I will admit that there have been occasions in the mornings that I remember that I want to do something and I've went outside in my nightgown. I wear the huge, pink, flannel granny gowns and since I can't wear my fuzzy feet outside, I have gym shoes on with it. Yeah...I live in a city with neighbors. But that's okay. I figure there are stranger sights in the city besides me. If not, I'm glad I made them laugh.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5789827

Hmm, it kind of sounds like maybe the trick to staying clean is to wear little sundresses or PJs to garden, I've never tried either. We only have low fences in my neighborhood and my neighbors spend a lot of time outside too. Um, not sure how to bend over to weed/dig/haul dirt in a little sundress without having the neighbors summon the police, maybe I can get lessons?

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5789841

Venita, I've done the flannel nightgown with tennis shoes too or with crocks! I don't usually wear nightgowns though. When it's cold I have a washable coat that I love but it looks like a fuzzy robe, so even when I'm wearing real clothes, it looks like I'm not.

As for the high fence -- nope, 4 ft. chainlink. I dream of the day when I'll have a high fence. I order fence catalogues and go through them excitedly and repeatedly like I would a rose catalogue. I'm sure my neighbors do too!

As for flashing the neighbors, I think I flash more when I'm wearing jeans or shorts. Inevitably, they stretch out and are falling down in no time. Pjs on the other hand have that wonderful invention, the elastic waist which does a wonderful job of keeping my bum in tow!

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5790329

It seems so long ago since I had fancy clothes. I wear ratty clothes for the garden but many times I won't bother to change if I make a store run. Worse part is: I don't care. I think I should care, but I truly don't. I used to have this hat which I loved because it had a really wide brim and I felt protected from the sun. The poor thing was left out in the rain and the crown (?) totaly disintegrated. Well the brim was still good, so I kept using the hat. That is, until the giggles behind my back were rather loud. My friend finally told me I looked crazy, wearing that hat with no crown. Peer pressure got the best of me and I threw it away, finally.

I realize this is more info than you need to know, but here it goes: I've been known to go out in my tee, panties and crocs and do some quickdeadheading. I recommend it, it is truly liberating, lol! My neighbors aren't all that close but there is always the perv with the binoculars. Oh well, if the body of a middle aged woman thrills him, so be it.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5790453

LOL !! that would be me if my neighbors wernt 5 ft away lol .
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5792621

I have a pair of pants that have become almost a uniform, that, and a white (used to be) tee shirt...the pants have been washed and worn so many times they are stained, beyond what the washing machine can do...the shirt too. and worst of all the material is so weak that it is constantly ripping..I sew it up, and it rips again...and I am like Nery...I often wear that outfit to the store, or to the post office...I should care, but I don't. I used to wear my sleep shirt and my shoes outside (in just the back yard...there is a good 6 foot fence) but I fell one time, and it was muddy and mud got into places, where mud, should not be...now I wear long pants so if I get muddy, it is confined to the outside...no gloves, which is dumb, but...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 15, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5793298

It is so liberating to be able to run to the grocery or home improvement store without worrying about one's looks! I know there are women who apply makeup first thing in the morning, every morning, but I'm not one of them. When I'm home working in the yard or cleaning house, no makeup goes anywhere near my face and if I have a quick errand to run, I run it and don't think about stopping to do makeup and hair before going out. Whether that's a result of aging, I don't know, but the point is that I am no longer bound by what people think of me. I'm gardening and happy, so they can think what they will.

I will admit to a moment's pang of guilt once I get to the garden shop and some nice-smelling, model of perfection strolls by with her 2 little cups of pansies and mums, but not for long! I'm to anxious to get back home and back to work.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5793591

I agree, they will soon learn that life it too short to worry so much about fashion right! ; )

Vossner, yep you sound just like me!

I have been trying to organize all my photos from this year. This is a shot of me by the rose Berries and Cream on Mother's Day. DH took it to send to DD as she gave it to me the previous Mother's Day.

I love the total comfort of jeans and am "forever in blue jeans!"

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 15, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5793625

CactusPatch, I'm having a hard time visualizing where you live. That photo looks like a public display garden with the stucco fence and the parking in the background, but if that rose is from your DD, I'm assuming that is your yard. How is it set up?

My typical garden garb is hand-me-down rock climbing shorts from our son and some Sperry boat slides, combined with either a tank top in summer or one of several hand-me-down sweatshirts in cooler weather. I don't bother changing when I go to the nursery or hardware during the day while gardening or doing home repair. Because this is our fourth house to basically reclaim, everybody knows me at the closest Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value, and local garden centers... and they all comment with surprise when I drop by wearing something other than my hand-me-downs or my hair isn't up in a ponytail! =P

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5794002

bliss, cactus' garden is magical. you should dig up some of her old threads and take a peek, but i warn you, big-time jealousy will set in!

i forgot to say what i wear on my feet. first of all, i never go barefoot (fire ants, ya know). i love Trellos from landsend. they look like crocs and act like crocs but they fit your feet a little more streamlined and aren't quite as ugly, a tad more refined. they also don't have the side holes, which fill with sand and ants here, just square holes on top. in winter i wear Traveltimes, a mule made by Easy Spirit. if i have digging to do or have to tromp across the field to empty a wheelbarrow, i wear tall rubber wellie type boots. Penny Loves Kenny is my favorite brand.

i soak my feet once a week in bleach water. it makes them soft and really cleans the dirt out of the cracks. a foot soak is such a luxe feeling for me. i really look forward to it.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5794096

Aw shucks you guys are making me blush. You have to remember that I am OLD and it took us decades to finally move to a nice place! But bliss if you wanna see more of my garden here are my flickr photos that pertain to gardens.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/collections/72157604117264555/
in answer to the set up we are on an acre in the foothills of the Sacramento Mts. our driveway is a large circle drive you see in the background and that rose will be moved this winter. It has gotten way too large for the little trellis. DH took out a tree in the backyard that was messy so I am coveting that site for the rose. Of course the stump is still in the ground so I have tons of digging to do! : (

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5794285

Cactus, I just looked at your flickr link -- WOW!!! You are way too young to have such a gorgeous garden! Beautiful pictures of beautiful subjects. Your roses are unbelievable. Mine never look that good even on their best days! Do you not have any bugs in your part of the country? Fungus? Shade? Thanks for sharing your perfect garden.

I'd better get back to one of my many unfinished projects. Right now, there's a ladder in a tree. I want to cut the branch down, but I'm afraid to climb that high so I just keep looking at it. There's a half dug trench in the front yard b/c I ran into a root that I'm going to have to saw to get it out and my arm hurts just thinking about it. Then I pruned the rose hedge and left debris all over. I'll start with that! Now, where are those gloves?
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5794339

Thanks. I have been gardening since I was a kid tagging along with Grandma, Mom and Dad so it is in my genes. LOL! No we don't have to do much to roses here but water them. I don't use sprays and the ladybugs and mantis feast on aphids. No humidity either so no fungus.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5794414

it's like rose heaven.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5794430

Yep, that is what I call it but of course newcomers don't always think so because they don't know how to water here. ; ) Soak them once or twice weekly and mulch heavily. Succulents or strawberries growing underneath is a good mulch.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5794443

i'm trying Mazus reptans as a groundcover. so far i love it and i don't have to weed that area anymore. it's the lime green stuff to the left of the lamp post.

Thumbnail by trackinsand

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5794450

I have that in my notes and couldn't recall why I wrote it! Thanks for that reminder. Lovely yard, if my memory serves correctly you moved onto a great property just a year or so ago?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5794459

we've actually been in this house 3 years now. time, tide and trolley wait for no man! lol

there is still about a million things to do in this yard. the longer i'm here, the less inclined i am to venture out and expand the garden...so much work and water.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5794574

Cactus, I have always been in love with your house and garden. The whole thing is so perfect that it looks like a movie set.

I'm with you completely on the makeup issue, Angie. I can't imagine anything more awful than having to spend time on something like that. I wore tons of eye makeup in the 60's and 70's, of course, including a huge collection of false eyelashes, different sets suitable for every occasion. After my son was born, though, I never had the time to apply eye makeup again. As for facial makeup, I never could wear it. It just felt icky. Besides, I have always had a tan, and I would have had to buy 20 different shades of makeup to accommodate the different degrees of suntan my face would go through during the year.

As for comfort, I disagree with everyone. I can't think of anything more confining than pants or more comfortable than a dress.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 15, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5794625

Gosh, I can't imagine how wonderful it would be NOT to have to spray for bugs (you name it, we have them), mildew, blackspot, fungus... ah, to live in rose heaven! Thanks for sharing your photos, CactusPatch. Your landscape is gorgeous!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 15, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5795059

Zuzu: I hear you on the comfort issue, but as I'm inclined to get down on the ground in all sorts of unlady-like positions, a dress, even a long one, would not be likely to cover some unflattering views of various ugly parts of my old body, which I'd rather not inflict on the general public ^_^

Cactus: your garden is perfect, just beautiful! So inviting. Is that cotinus behind the Pretty Lady rose? So complimentary to the rose.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 15, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5795067

Cactus: Please disregard the question in my previous message. I realized that I was responding to an earlier message from someone else. This is what happens when you turn 35.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5795491

I have to admit, Angie, that I have a few skorts in reserve for those days when I have to crawl on the ground between plants. I love them. They look just like skirts, but they don't ride up when you're crawling on your stomach.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 16, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5795985

I do love nightgowns much more than PJs, for the same reasons you like dresses, so maybe one day I'll be a convert to dresses. Who knows?
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5797658

Thanks for the sweet comments, my yard doesn't always look that good--I don't take photos of it then! ; ) I like nightgowns and pj's but wear pj's more. Hey I wear them out to carry stuff to the mulch pile some days too. I do live on a large lot but there is a stable nearby and riders sometimes catch me in my pj's out back!
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5810601

love this thread I garden in what ever I have on so I get a lot of do you have to do that nows and hay think you might want to come in and get dressed from the little mister the neighbors are used to me and the kids think I'm nuts my mom and sister are horrified that I can get that dirty and not even care good gardening to every one !!!!
Gloria;0)
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5812529

I received a catalog yesterday from a seed supplier I'd never heard of before, but I'm the type of gardener who thinks this is the perfect present and I wish I got things like this for Christmas:

http://www.superseeds.com/products.php?search=manure%20medley
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 20, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5812678

Tyro, Manure Medley for Christmas! HAHAHAHA! That's awesome. I could just imagine my mother-in-law's face if I had that wrapped under the tree!
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5812894

BG, dreams can come true! It's not too late to hint to friends and family that this is what you REALLY want for Christmas! :-)

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5812958

OMG! I would just jump for joy if I got manure for X-mas! I really want chicken poo though. I hear it's magical -- like Christmas!
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5813144

Must be careful with it though, it strikes up.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5813419

Only this group of fellow gardners would appreciate that I attend the county fair and always make a point to find the 4H kids with rabbits. They love it when I ask if they would let me clean under the stalls. Bunny poop is wonderful fertilizer! LOL!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 20, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5813543

I just read through this great thread. How fun! Cactuspatch, you must go to the same designer as I do. T-shirts and jeans. That's it. Old stuff to garden in, newer to go out in. An occasional denim skirt or a linen outfit for a fancy occasion. Sweats in the winter up here, though. And down jackets, heavy sox and hiking boots. In summer it's flip flops or tevas and my feet are black and cracked from June-August. I wear sunscreen year round and wide brim straw hat in the summer. Baseball caps if too windy. Often garden in my p.j.'s. Nobody can tell the difference anyway. I do wear gloves...most of the time in the garden. I am always getting cut on things, so I keep up with tetnus booster shots. I wear make up about once a year if I'm feeling real insecure or real wild. At 55 I am probably old enough to wear or not wear whatever! Last summer I wore my bathrobe to a dinner party and people complimented me on my nice dress! ( It is a batik, cotton robe that ties securely and covers more than most sundresses do. ) L.O.L.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5815791

Um, blue jean shorts, grey t-shirt, NO HAT, latex gloves underneath my gardening gloves to keep the dirt outta my nails, and those wonderful, waterproof, slip on rubber shoes from SAM'S club. I bought 4 pairs. Oh, and the requisite Deep Woods Off body spray . In winter, change that to a slathering of Skin So Soft, which seals your pores like glue and makes you hold in heat -- which helps in the winter!

Um, no pockets or hip bags for tools (although I visited my friend in NOLA last weekend and she pulled out the most wonderful little canvas chair with a tool belt and tools attached. Absolutely a must find! I try to remember to lay my tools in the same place each time so I can find 'em again. UNLESS the DH goes out there and then it's a hunt for everything.

I moved into the DH's home after we were married. I had just bought my very first house and lived there for 9 months before the wedding. I miss the grass in that yard more than anything else, cause it brought me no greater joy than to be able to step outside in my BARE feet and feel the cool grass underneath. Unlike where I am now. Our yard is the neighborhood kitty litter and stepping outside in your shoes could be hazardous to your health! DH was cleaning a catch of fish, so I went out there last night in the dark with him and everywhere I stepped in the yard smelled like a toilet. Thanks be to God who kept my feet out of the cat poop!!! I do miss clean grass...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 21, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5815830

Gymgirl: Could you get the source for that chair from your friend? Maybe it's a national chain and we could all access it ^_^
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

November 21, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5815969

[quote]UNLESS the DH goes out there and then it's a hunt for everything.[/quote]

I believe this is a universal trait among all husbands!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 21, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5816773

Yes, I think so. Though I do pretty much have mine trained to leave my tools alone. If I can't find them i will just go out and buy new ones. That kind of got to him, after 20 years! and lots of duplicates.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5817246

You wanna talk duplicates? I'd bet anybody on DG that my DH has at LEAST 50 hammers, 500 screwdrivers and over 15,000 pieces of nuts, bolts, and screws. He was about to buy a new router before he cleaned? out the garage and discovered he had one sitting in there already...
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5819046

Yes roybird, aren't tees and jeans the NM official uniform? At least for us natives it is!

Gymgirl, my DH is the same way. He is actually worse now that we have a Lowe's and a Home Depot on the corner. The last time we had a garage sale, most of the $ were made on tools. In our early years of marriage I bought him all kinds of organizers. I have yet to see him use any of them. I find it interesting too that in the OR I have heard from the nurses that he is a stickler for his tools there, everything in it's place--sure not how he is at home! I do lose my garden tools constantly. I try and have 2 of most things but front and back yards. I have one of those buckets with organizer pockets and a tool rack in the front garage. Rose shears are my most misplaced. I sit them on a rock to smell the flowers or snap a cat photo! I have even tried painting them wild colors but I still lose them in all my jumbled mess of plants.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 22, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5819516

Cactuspatch, I grew up in Arizona and it was the same outfit there. Altho, I prefer hiking boots or tevas to cowboy boots! Gymgirl, so funny!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5826539

Hey y'all, I forgot to share a key element in my morning ritual. Every morning, without fail, I spill my coffee. If only some critter would come along and lick it up.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5827321

Yeah I prefer hikers too but not in the hot months of summer. Elphaba, coffee is good for the roses right? Just spill it in their direction! : )
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

November 24, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5827485

Elphaba, I only spill it if I'm wearing a white T-shirt. Consequently, most of my clothes are dark colored! l.o.l.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5827662

Cactus, fear not, I spill it in all directions!
Roybird, coffee seems to know when you're wearing something it can stain well! FYI, that Tide stick for stains doesn't work!
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5828330

lol . i always leave my coffee cup half full outside , i dont even see them or notice until i hear the dreaded " dana where are all the cups! oh let me guess outside " then i sneak out and collect and wash them and say what are you talking about .lol

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
8:08 AM

Post #5828818

LOL! I took out a bed of ferns and cleaned out a couple of other beds and I kept finding spoons. I think I used to use them for measuring. I sure hope that I wasn't using them for digging!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5829447

Speaking of spoons for digging...we have so many catered lunches here at work and every time they bring those black plastic serving utensils. I started salvaging the black plastic sporks (the spoon with the teeth like a fork). They are lightweight and sturdy enough to be a handy little tool for placing potting soil into a small container. I even use em to held me mix up a batch of wet potting mix. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and if you spin one around 360 degrees in your potting mix, it makes a perfect size planting hole for most things!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 3, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6495666

Phab brought up this thread, and it always gives me a chuckle to read... I'm hoping the newcomers to the forum will add their stories here too. Read, laugh, enjoy, and add yours!!! Evey =)
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6495772

My West Highland Terrier, Tiffany, is definitely a dirty gardener. She is not very interested in plants, but ensures the garden is rodent free! Every day, first thing, she sniffs the perimeter of the building. She will chase and dig out any squirrels, mice or chipmunks. She is also very adept at knocking over flower pots with her leash. She gets a bath after we garden.

Perhaps my style is "pale lily?" I try to take care of myself as well as my garden. I am recovering from an auto accident, so I need help with anything heavy. I am very careful not to injure myself. My complexion is beyond fair, so I have to be careful with the sun. I time my gardening when the shade is in that area of the yard. I always wear sunblock (Neutragena 70 on my face and hands, Baby 45 everywhere else.) My motto is, "If you can see outside without a flashlight, you need sunblock!" I wear jeans, socks, sneakers (unless I am digging, then work boots), long sleeved cotton shirts, gloves and a big hat. I get some mud on my knees and bum. I need to make a nifty nylon-covered gardening pillow.

I have been using tons of moisturizer lately. I just put a tube of hand cream in my gardening basket. Another good treatment for rough skin is a homemade salt scrub. I use kosher salt, almond oil and a few drops of scent. Rub it on your feet, knees, elbows, etc in the bath or shower. I also use almond oil with a few drops of scent as a moisturizer after my bath. I have been doing my best to keep up with manicures and pedicures.

I am not naturally neat and perfect like the pink sweat suited miracle gardener, but I try to keep myself together.

This link makes me think of my grandmother. She never wore underpants, but frequently wore skirts. We have several family stories of grandma's gardening fashion mishaps including one with a riding mower.

My gardening outfits aren't glamorous, but at least I don't flash the neighbors.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6496585

lol my grandma never owned a pair of pants . just dresses (mostly house dresses) and rolled down nylons . as for what was under there one could only guess . lol
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6501678

LOL! I had forgotten this thread. My Grandma wore dresses and rolled down nylons too. She would hike up her dress and climb over things in the garden. We were forever trying to get her to wear pants. I am sure she must have flashed the neighbors but she lived on 5 acres so maybe not? LOL!
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6501841

Imagine what folks looked like that lived at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius after that volcano exploded and spewed black dust, dirt, rocks, lava etc. 4 feet deep everywhere all around them...Now that's what I look like after about 30 minutes piddling in the garden on any given day from about 6 a.m. till dark and from the beginning of March till the beginning of November...And even though I stay in that condition most of time my wife still loves me and will even come outside and give me a peck on the cheek with a few kind words...Those kind words being something like this, "Paul you are real mess"...:)

P.S. I wear garden clogs, the biggest I could find, as I wear a size 17 shoe... I would describe what MY feet look like at the end of the day after wading around in broken bags of Black Cow manure but this is a "G" rated forum...:)

Paul from Alabama
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6501886

Catuspatch and Iris we must be related you just described my grammie and shh don't tell anyone but if they still made those "housedresses" I would probably own then and just slip on the crocks or my slippers and a pair of leggings and get ready garden here I come...I look like you describe when I am done only with smaller shoes Paul. You guys are all great , I read the old post and sit and laugh all by myself here at the computer like I had a brain ...thanks for the fun
Robin
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6501986

I love it Paul--LOL! Robin all gardeners must be related for certain!
Katie_Jo
Wadsworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6502019

What a wonderful thread! I'm sorry I missed it until now! Just when you start thinking you're the odd ball on the block, you read this and feel normal again! Thank you all!

I garden barefoot, no gloves, and DEFINITELY in a sundress...usually some incredibly ugly one I've purchased from Walmart. Far more comfortable than anything else, and if I flash a little cheek when I bend over, I can only pray that no one was looking! THe only problem with a dress is getting stuck in the roses as I climb through the garden. But I say it's definitely worth it!
emeraldsgarden
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6502106

What type of Gardner am I, Hmmmmmmmmm...I would resemble a young child out after a rain storm having to jump in every puddle of mud and never satisfied that I got the splash high enough - so I would try again and again! It never matters if I pull one weed or pot 20 plants - I get covered from head to toe. Then if I proceed to water - well let just say the creature from the blue lagoon is coming to mind. I can be pointing the water with the wind watering downhill - and I still get soaked. Do not know how it happens, but my kids seem cleaner and let me tell you they would give a mud catfish a run for its money! Then you have my hubby - he can run out and dig holes for roses and move the sprinkler in his PJs and look the same. I do not understand? I have given up on trying to figure it out! Oh, then if I do anything with a rose bush or berry bush - I look like I just got into a fight with a crazed feral cat and lost! All I have to do is look at the thorny bushes and I walk away with scratches. Despite the cuts, bruises, mud, and drenching - I would not give it up!! Just if you drive by and see a walking mud monster - do not fear, it is only me watering my garden!! LOL

Dana
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 4, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6502135

HAHA! There's got to be a special place in heaven for all of the Mt. Vesuvius walking mud monsters!!!! Thanks for sharing, everybody. Keep 'em coming! =)
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6502206

After a careful re-read of all the posts in this thread I've come to the conclusion that it's possible I might be the only one here that doesn't wear sundresses out in the garden...I'll speak to my wife about that and see if there's anything we can do about it...:)

Paul from Alabama
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

May 4, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6502233

I'm glad someone pulled this thread back up. So funny!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 4, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6502758

Paul: You must post a pic of you gardening in sundress! You might start a new trend.

I guess I'd have to confess that I get dirty no matter what I'm doing. I'm a messy painter and a dirty gardener. I only use gloves when I'm working with thorny plants. My water hose is a living, breathing creature whose only purpose in life is to soak me thoroughly, despite my best efforts, and it does so on a regular basis. Cannot garden barefooted because of yellow jackets and allergies, but wear my DH's old T-shirts and my oldest, baggiest pair of Bermuda shorts or sweat pants, depending on the weather. No makeup unless I'm gardening after work. Thank goodness there are no longer any small children in our neighborhood, because I'm sure I'd scare them to death!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6502810

Paul we all want to see which sundress you pick out. They have them now with the little pedal pushers seen them?
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6502867

Paul, my neighbor wears a "man skirt" in the summertime. I can ask him where he shops if you want.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 4, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6502923

There was a man in Gonzales (a town just outside of Baton Rouge) who had a skin condition that made it uncomfortable for him to wear pants. He did his yard work in a green miniskirt and no underwear... including mowing his lawn on a riding lawn mower. The town council of Gonzales tried to pass a law to keep him from doing that anymore because he kept flashing everybody!!! I'm trying to find a link to the article in the online newspaper... if I find it, I'll post. The whole debate about it was crazy (on both sides)!!!
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6503057

There are also kilts, Paul...even if you don't have any Scottish ancestry pick a clan that has a nice tartan that matches your coloring! :-)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6503414

Paul, I don't garden in a sundress either and I actually own some! ; )
emeraldsgarden
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6503648

I have to say, I understand the concept of wearing a sun dress or skirt with no undies - you sure would stay cooler. Now that being said, I do not belive my neighbors, the UPS man, or even I am ready for me to try it! LOL I live in the country, but it would never fail, I would be fighting with a water hose and end up mooning my neighbor as they drive by! LOL I could hear my DH now - "Dana, the neighbors called and said there was a full moon out - exactly what were you doing?" Oh, I would never live it down!! ; )
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6503800

emaerald, I would never wear a sundress without wearing a pair of "unmentionables" under it...I'm not that kinda girl...:)

You know what, I woke up this morning thinking, "you know if it quits raining I'm going to mix up that soil mixture for my raised beds to grow my tomatoes this year"...but it never quit raining and it looks like I've spent most of the day corresponding with a group of people about me wearing a sun dress, all in all this has been a mighty strange day and not what I planned on doing at all...:)

And you know what else folks... I wish you could've seen the look on my wife's face when I told her what I wanted to do...You see after convincing her that I haven't changed sexual orientation since I woke up this morning but that I just might get her to buy me a large (very large) sun dress for the purpose of her taking my picture wearing it in the garden and then posting that picture on the internet on a gardening forum (Daves) with about 30,000 members, well I must say she had a mighty strange look on her face...:)

Paul from Alabama
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 4, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6504020

HAHAHAHA! Priceless, Paul, just priceless! ;-)
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6504501

I garden in sundresses because I want to have as perpetual a suntan as possible, and they're also much more comfortable than any other kind of clothing, but I see no benefits whatsoever to gardening without undergarments.
Katie_Jo
Wadsworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6507429

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Panties are a must!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6508102

um, I just cannot wrap my mind around that "NO panties" thing.

Day before yesterday I was watering the patio and felt something crawling under my T-shirt. Well, it turned out to be one a those copper colored roache thingies. Crawled from under my right midriff clean across my back and down my left sleeve with me squirming all the while.

Now. Imagine that thing a little further south, and me with no undies on.

TRAGIC! ^_^
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6508151

LOL, saved by undies!!

It's interesting it's people's grannies that were going without. I remember seeing some Victorian era women's undies at a historical farm exhibit, they were "crotchless"! The docent said that was typical for the time because with those long skirts it was very difficult to "use the outhouse" otherwise. Wonder if it was traditional to do without? What did the grannies say to explain their choice (or lack) of underclothing?
glevely
Sanford, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6508161

I bet thats why as a kid I was told Ladies kept there dresses down and there legs crossed ;0)
Gloria
Katie_Jo
Wadsworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6509301

Gymgirl, that, along with the idea of a rose bush getting stuck to my bare bum, is EXACTLY why they are a MUST!!! I have had bees fly up my dress on occasion, but I've only been stung once. Ironically, the bee must have been in my dress for quite some time before I came inside and plopped down on the recliner. That's when I found out he was in there...ouch!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6510658

Zuzu-
I'm with you...I love sundresses and in the summer, they are my uniform. I also believe in undies! There is a time and place to not wear them, but gardening is not one of them!!, lol...

I love it when women dress like women. I think some femininity was lost when women got to start wearing pants.

don't get me wrong...I wear pants...and I grew up in a Christian school that forbade them...

But, I really do believe they are more comfortable, and more flattering on a woman, than pants. I celebrate being a woman and have never ever wanted to be anything other than feminine...

I have a little garden nic-nac...a fairy like creature in a short sundress, watering can in hand, and wild hair and jewelry...hubby once told me he absolutely loved it...i was very surprised. I asked him to elaborate...he said "because it looks just like you...sundress, full jewelry, and wild messy hair", lol...awh, how sweet!...I loved that nic-nac even more after that, but it is true...I bought about a dozen little cotton sundresses from Ross one year, and in the heat of summer, they are all I wear...and my waist-lenght hair does get kinda messing after gardening, lol

I finally bought a neighbor a little sundress. after she kept commenting on mine, and she started wearing them, too!! :0)

Surprising how many men have complimented them too...almost too many! ;0)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6512969

Interesting, I feel so very uncomfortable in a dress. Growing up I thought it was torture that we had to wear them to school. I can not see me climbing a fence and wearing my hiking boots with a dress on! Or hauling rocks with the wind whipping the dress over my head. Very impractical for gardening it seems to me. Paul, you are too funny.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6512998

Mine are short, little longer than a tennis skirt, but come together in the middle, just like a tennis skirt...sorta like a teniis skirt but all one piece...does that make any sense?

I just wear them in general...for days with a lot of bending over, or such, I can switch to shorts and a cami ;0)

my silly winter "uniform" consists of an old 80's pair of peg-legged stirrup pants, with a large tunic top. Now those I love to wear for fall chores, because they hold tight to your leg when maneuvering through roses, they are warm, and also very bend-over-able, lol...
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6512999

I was out the other day hauling around 40 pound bags of cow manure and planting rose bushes, barefoot and in a summer dress. I was wondering what the neighbors were thinking. My usual attire for the garden is shorts and a teeshirt, and my beloved crocs. I love the crocs because I always end up getting very wet. Whether from cleaning out my miniponds, watering, or working in the rain, I seem to always get my feet soaked.

I have to restrain myself when wearing my "good" clothes. It seems like I can't come home from work without pulling a few weeds, doing some deadheading, or getting even more involved, before I even hit the front door. The first thing I know, I'm out in the pond "tidying up", reaching down to pull off spent lilypads and flowers, while I'm still in my "dry clean only" clothes.

While I own several pairs of gloves, including a really cool periwinkle Atlas pair, I NEVER wear them. Maybe it's like wearing a condom (I certainly wouldn't know), but it seems like I just can't feel things with the gloves on. Rather, I'm down in the dirt with both hands. I actually love the feel of the soil. (I wish I had some in my yard without importing it!!) The only way I can get my nails clean is to wash my hair. Anyway, I'm helpless. I love to garden.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6513142

Since you mentioned gloves-- I am the worst at trying to wear them and then taking them off and losing them. But I know they are important especially around my roses and cactus. I have a pair of long ones for the serious pruning of roses. But DH gave me a pair of gloves that I actually like and will wear when raking or hauling rocks etc. Jobs that would give me blisters without a glove on. They are made for mechanics and fit really snuggly. Skin cancer is in my family and I have had lots of precancerous things taken off, so I am trying to wear gloves more to protect my hands.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6513195

lilybud, I felt like you about gloves but I learned that it is a matter of trying several, and I mean several, until you get the one that makes you feel like you are "in touch".
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 6, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6513314

I found that the neoprene gloves that are waterproof on the palms and breathable stretchy fabric on the back and wrists are quite flexible when gardening. I used to never wear gloves, but I was embarrassed by my hands too many times and finally caved in to try some (actually, the first pair was a gift from the owner of the little hardware store around the corner from us). They are thin and flexible enough that you can tell what you are doing (i.e., am I pulling a weed or my plant out?!), but thick enough for protection. I can't stand the typical cloth gardening gloves. I have a pair of the super duper West County pruning gloves, but I never wear them because I feel completely disconnected from my hands when I have them on!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6515430

I find that the best thing I wear when I garden is a smile.

I have lived on my block for 3 years before I decided to try gardening. Between last fall when I started the bulbs and this spring when they bloomed most of the neighbors have stopped to talk, admire and compare notes. I have become a part of a community and that (and the kids on the block asking me questions) always makes me smile.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 7, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6516068

Gardens do tend to encourage smiling and talking, don't they? One of the best things about gardening is sharing the passion.

PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6516408

bookreader & Hemophobic...I couldn't agree with you more, you've nailed it...After all the gloves of every material known to mankind, ergonomically designed tools, earth friendly sprays, clogs by the thousands, it's the interaction with other folks about gardening that's one of the really special things I think... Sometimes it's talking with hardcore gardeners like most of us are I reckon or sometimes just folks who drive by and wave, folks that stop by, walk by or whatever and want to compliment you on what you've done (which brings a smile to your face) and that they found it beautiful to begin with brings a smile to their face, maybe they want to ask about something you've done that they see and want to try themselves which after you tell them more than they ever wanted to know about it but they see they can do it too usually brings a smile to both your faces, or, well you know what I mean...I love the plants, I love the process of gardening which sounds better than "I love wading around in cow manure"...:) but seriously Hemophobic got it when she said one of the best things about gardening is sharing the passion, there's been more passion that's been spilled on the pages of this forum than is in all them Danielle Steele novels my mom reads put together and that ain't no joke...Well enough of this, back to trying to find a sundress to fit a petite man who is 6'8" tall and weighs a well distributed 280 lbs but who after a hard days work in the garden isn't an ounce over 279 I bet, the sight of that should bring a smile to someone's face even it's only my own...:)

OK, one more thing, the solitary, personal enjoyment of gardening is nice too, don't get me wrong, being alone with your plants with a good book, or the sounds of birds, or some nice music by you or just looking at all them plants you put in the ground from the get go and raised through drought and deluge and to see'em blooming all glorious like, well that's special too...And like Forrest Gump said so beautifully and succinctly, "That's all I have to say about that"...:)

Paul from Alabama

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6516632

"I need a box 'a chawklettes..."
mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6517702

I have two standard uniforms - my nightgown or my husband's jersey PJ bottoms and an old T-Shirt that says,

"Auntie Em,

Hate You.
Hate Kansas.
Taking the Dog.

Dorothy"

I have to run and hide whenever the neighbor guy strolls over to chat.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6518134

And you seriously think he's strolling over to chat by accident?
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6518159

ROFL - and you probably thought it was your roses he was coming to talk about mocatmom! :-)
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6518329

Cactuspatch, I'm with you - not comfortable in a dress. I'm an extremely messy, sweaty gardener. It's rare that the humidity isn't high here, so I often water the planters on the patio in my nightgown before my shower, but no dresses in the garden.

Don't know if this link will work or not, but I love these gloves! They protect me when pruning the roses, and the fringe flower shrubs, which I'm obviously somewhat sensitive to. Don't really break out, but itch like crazy for hours afterward. These have solved the problem. http://www.amazon.com/Bionic-Glove-Tech-GLOVE-MEDIUM/dp/B000NNTDYI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1241727616&sr=8-3
I don't use them in the dirt, but they say they're washable, so we'll see.

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6518422

I get dirty when I garden. No matter how hard I try, grit follows me into the house. I know I should wear gloves, but like the feel of the soil. And I'm always separating soil from weeds or pulling up weeds; and none of that works well with gloves. I ought to wear some kind of special shoes - but I just wear walking shoes. I always wear long pants because they deter bugs. I don't have any cute T-shirts. And I wear a Tilley hat to keep the sun from blistering my scalp. I don't think a sundress would work for me ... it just wouldn't look right with the beard.

(Great thread, BTW.)

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6518429

Steve, what is a Tilley hat?
mocatmom
Driftwood, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6518476

I disagree - I think a sundress would complement the beard as long as you wore the proper shoes with the outfit.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 7, 2009

Post #6518491

Steve, you should adopt Paul's idea and join the sundress set!!! I think we'd all vote for you guys in the annual photo contest if you posted pics of it! =))))
NLaw
Fort Worth , TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6518817

I just read this forum even though it's been going on since November. Wow! I was going to say that after gardening even a short while I look like PigPen , the messy little kid in Peanuts cartoons. But, forget PigPen. I want some of those super-equipped rubber boots and tool belts like Troublex2. I was a Girl Scout growing up,and I take the motto seriously, ---- "Be Prepared." I just never thought to hang a camera and phone off my boots! Genius!

Thanks for all the fun stuff you've all written.

Thumbnail by NLaw

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6518904

midwest_tyro:
Tilley Hats http://www.outlandusa.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=Tilley&Click=5794&gclid=CNvMjbCeq5oCFRBbagod33YC0g. I bought my first one almost twenty years ago because:

a) I'm not a baseball hat person.
b) They are guaranteed for life ( one replacement each, please)
c) The story about the zoo keeper whose elephant got a little peeved at him one day & ate his Tilley hat. A few days later... he washed it off very well, dried it, and put it back on again. Not sure I could do that, but it's a great story.

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6519468

The manure resistance feature must have been the deciding factor in your purchase, a perfect product for a gardener! :-)
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 8, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6519549

As a proper Southern gal, I think you guys will be fine in a sundress as long as you have the proper gloves!

Seriously, I just made a vow last weekend to be more careful in my gardening attire after being bitten several times by spiders! I was gardening and saw a crown of thorns plant coming up right smack dab in the middle of a weigela so I grabbed my pruners and got down and dirty with that thorny old thing, grubbed it out, but in the meantime must have gotten into a spider nest, as I had bites on my forehead, one ear, both upper arms and one forearm. Thank God for Benadryl tablets and cream, but it was an experience I don't want to repeat. I'm just lucky they weren't brown recluses!

I hate the thought of having to get all bundled up to work in the garden, but guess that's what it takes to be safe. If it isn't yellow jackets attacking me, now it's spiders! Maybe God is trying to tell me something!

I have a wonderful pair of Wells-Lamont gloves with short gauntlets on them that I love for yard work. Should have bought several pairs, but it was the first time I'd tried them. If I can find them again, I'll buy 3 or 4 sets.

Paul: I'm still trying to picture your "petite" frame in a sundress! Bwahaha!

Angie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6519616

Angie-
I know the ones you are talking about. They are fantastic! We have a garden center nearby that still sells them. I have about 6 pairs of lavender and a few green. I bought extras for gifts. (one is going to my mother this weekend).

They are fantastic for those hard pruning days...

what size are you ,and I'll try to pick some up for you...I know what it is like to find something you really love and not be able to find them to buy...

I don't know the price and can't guarantee I'll find a certain color, but think they were only a ridiculous 12.99, and came in baby blue, lime green and lavender.

-T
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 8, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6519647

Seed: Mine are the green ones, with some leather on them, and that price sounds about right. I don't like to spend a lot of money on gloves, because I do go through them rather quickly. I use them for lots of outdoor jobs, but when I'm working in the dirt, it's usually bare-handed!

I'm a small, ladies small. I have short, short fingers, the longest one being no more than 2 inches. If they still have the green and lavender, that'd be great. Let me know how much to send you. I'm also going to check out Lowe's here, which is where I bought them. No surprise. That's where I buy everything!

More rain today/tonight and I have a patio full of plants to be set out.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6519662

ok, so let me know if you don't find any at lowes...that will save you shipping, if you can find them locally...

I got the impression you'd already looked all over :0)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6541874

Wells Lamont gloves

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?go=Search&q=Wells-Lamont%20gloves&form=SOLTGC
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6544811

I have been enjoying this thread sooo much, that I haven't been out in the garden as long as I usually am this time of year. So, if the weeds take over, it's all your fault! ^_^

Since I have weakness in my lower extremities, I have to use a power chair in the garden. Oh, it is such a wonderful tool! I haul around rocks and potted plants on the foot rest. I pick up pine cones and put them in a 5 gallon bucket that will sit on the foot rest too. Last Fall I towed some rocks around to get them out of the way. I wear long sleeve blouses (mosquitoes, spiders and other insects love me), slacks, rubber soled mesh shoes (from WM) and a large brimmed straw hat. I use Wells Lamont leather gloves for working with rocks and garden tools. So, I stay quite clean, but our hose connections ALWAYS leak, so I get soaked at times!

The needle nosed pliers are used to pull weeds, brick hammer to chip rocks and dig weeds, rubber mallet to force rocks into place without damaging the patina and shears to cut TBI leaves and deadheading plants & etc.

Donna's gardening tools

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6545862

Needle-nose pliers to pull weeds. Cool!

Does anyone use power tools? Maybe a jackhammer to break up caliche? Or a power drill to dig daffodil holes? I think I'm beginning to see even more possibilities in the fine art of gardening.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 14, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6545969

Steve, power tools wouldn't be too practical around here with all the moisture. Barbecued gardener just doesn't sound like a great idea. But, there are battery-powered tools... hmmm... ;-)
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6546173

oh I just saw this thread today... really funny... I am totally a dirty gardener... I ended up needing a real good shower and my feet are usually really dirty... I use crocs also... so no way to keep it clean...

I sweat a lot and of course I get my hair all messy and dirty... but I enjoy doing tons of things at the same time... so sometimes I am all over the garden... wish my garden was organized... lol...
yeah you can totally say that I am muddy girl! but I have fun! so I guess its ok,,,
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 14, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6546188

Kassia, we're kindred spirits! It just doesn't feel like gardening to me if I can't feel the dirt!!!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 14, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6546826

Having fun is what gardening is all about! Even the work doesn't seem like work to me. Just had my first manicure yesterday in many years and it was a real treat. Kept telling the manicurist that I abuse my hands terribly because I dig in the dirt with them and the typing I do as part of my work, so no chance for long, lovely nails. Besides, mine split badly, so just ask to have them filed short and clear polish. But, oh, did it feel good to have the hands massaged and pampered! If I had lots of money, I could really get used to that.

Speaking of dirt, I'm hoping to get in the middle of some of it tomorrow afternoon, as I set out lots more of my seedlings and daylilies.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6546954

Right the work does not feel like work. I have to share this good news too, I needed to lower my cholesterol and the Dr. gave me 3 months. I had planned to walk but with my asthma and the fact that the morning temps here are still cold (too cold for me to walk in lower 50's--even though our high around 1PM has been in the 85-90) So I get out in the AM to putter in the garden. Had some big jobs to do also--well just got the bloodwork back and it is 40 points lower in the part that has to do with exercise. To me that indicates that all my "play in the garden" is truly exercise---shhhhh it only felt like fun. Now I know not to get a cholesterol test in the cold months when I am not gardening!

I still had to go on the meds because the LDL is a genetic thing my Dr. said and she needed it to be 40 points lower too. : (

As for power tools in the garden I do love the power saw and using the edger on the few shrubs makes quick work of it. Steve, I use water to soften the soil before I dig. Scrape the area a bit, lay a slow hose there for about 30 minutes and come back the next morning to dig. In our dry climate that works great. Speaking low humidity ours has been 8 lately. I know we need rain but it feels so good! We don't really have mud this time of year. Never feel sweaty either. Have a great day!

This message was edited May 14, 2009 7:16 AM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6546985

Steve-
I've used those long bits on the end of a drill to power-drill bulb holes. It was fantastic!

I've also used a rented sod-cutter, so I could replace my grass with dichondra. That was like a child steering a wild bull hooked to an old-fashioned hand plow, but it sure was fun.

midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6546987

"I use water to soften the soil before I dig Steve"

I hate to think what this means...
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6546994

LOL! It is early as I typed that--give me a break! ; )
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6547005

LOL - I'm going to thank you, I got a good laugh to start the morning! :-)
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 14, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6547225

Hehe, softening the soil... reminds me of what happened with our sweet Ms. Dougie this past weekend. By now, y'all know I mean our 93-year-old neighbor. Her son sent her a huge oleander plant on Friday as a Mother's Day gift. Ms. Dougie still tries to insist on doing all her own gardening, but she is TINY and it's already in the 90's here. I came home to find her on the side of her house in full sun, trying to dig a hole for this huge rootball, looking like she was about to pass out. She kept filling the hole with water to "soften the soil" and then was trying to pick up the heavy mud with a spade. She wouldn't let me help her, so I convinced her to let the hole sit overnight to "soften even more". About midnight that night, after she was finally asleep, hubby and I went out there and finished digging her hole in that muddy mess. We saw her the next morning out there with a yardstick, measuring and remeasuring, trying to figure out how the hole was already the correct size. She happily put in the oleander and looked very satisfied. On Sunday, when she had company over and they were sitting on the patio, we heard Ms. Dougie talking about how great it is to fill a hole with water because it makes it double overnight in size...! =P
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6547286

oh,poor thing...now you are going to have to go sneak over in the night and dig ALL her holes, lol
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6547355

ROFL - I can just imagine the two of you out there digging in the dark trying to keep very quiet ... good thing the police didn't decide to drive by right then, might have been hard to explain why you were digging up your neighbors garden in the middle of the night!
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6547936

Blissful: Great story! Re: the cultivation of holes - just add water. ( And not too much compost.)

I'm lucky here. The native soil is relatively sandy. And a previous owner hauled in hundreds of yards of fertile loam to fill a raised area. It's the first place I've lived where bone-dry dirt did not require power tools to make holes. But the downside of that is that they do appear on their own. The place is infested with some small subterranean animal that is very facile in making mud-domed passages. And is effective in eating my favorite new plants.

I wonder if I should view this as an opportunity to get a power snake?
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6549140

Yes, we do have a lot of sand which is probably why we don't really get mud. It drains to just soften. But I loved your story. Reminds me of my neighbor Kathryn. She is also in her 90's and would insist on digging her own holes, which she was able to do but it would literally take her DAYS to plant sometimes. When I try to help she will say "honey, once you can't dig your own holes somebody will be digging one to plant you in!" LOL! Probably good advice.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6550172

oh you guys are funny... great stories!!!!! I was planting until 8:30 tonight... oh it was so fun... I was so dirty today that it took me 1/2 hour to get clean... and I even found a thick... oh I wanted to scream! goodness gracious that was not fun... but I got so much planted... and of course did not wear gloves... and now I have to re-do my nails because I am working tomorrow and the weekend... oh well, I do my nails every week... can't stand having my nails not done... that's the girly girl on me...

HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6550471

Gosh Blissful, wish you lived next door to us! My DH gets out the post hole digger (not a power one because of the rocks) and starts digging, then we fill the hole with water and let it sit over night. Unlike Steve who has sandy soil in Prescott, we have clay and rocks. Some of the rocks are soft - more or less - when they are still underground, so soaking the holes can sometimes soften the rock and he can dig right through a thin rock. He has used a forklift to lift rocks, a cherry picker (man lift) to trim or cut down the trees. He uses an electric pole saw for trimming trees. We could use our friend's tractor or backhoe, but DH finds them hard to get on and off of them now. He uses his Honda FourTrax ATV to tow the garden trailer around our acre. All in all we really love a challenge of gardening in our area. If we didn't have these motorized tools, we would probably have to have a mule. BTW another good friend raises donkeys and mules.

Our front driveway from 40 feet up ^_^

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

emeraldsgarden
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6552149

I just started putting flowers beds in and all I do is tell DH I need dirt and he jumps in the Bobcat and off he goes. He drives across part of the property and gets me a bucket full of dirt and dumps it where I need it! Saves so much time and back breaking work. Then if I need gravel or sand - off he goes in the Bobcat down to the creek. Sure makes it nice and easier on me! Of course he loves running around in the Bobcat also!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 15, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6552201

Well, the "creek" down the street from here is a drainage ditch... something tells me if we took a Bobcat down there for gravel and sand, the police would show up and arrest us for destroying city property!!! But, it sure does sound a lot easier (until the jail part...). =P

This message was edited May 15, 2009 10:58 AM
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6552947

This has been a most informative and delightfully funny hour that I have just spent when I should have been gardening!

I am 73 and I am a dirty, lazy, and procrastinating gardener. Oh, and a penny- pincher too.

My backyard is larger and takes more of my time, and it is fenced, so lots of times I go out in my jammies to work--no time for changing clothes. I always get dirty and my hair is always full of leaves or tiny flowers from some tree or another. I hate closed-in shoes (real shoes) so I wear Teva sandals with or without socks, or sometimes just flip-flops. But that's just to protect my feet; they sure don't keep my feet clean. I have some light cotton gloves that I only wear to pull weeds or for using any wood-handled tool (to prevent callouses). Have some heavy leather ones that a workman left once. I know him very well but don't think for a minute I'm going to call him and tell him--I need these for handling roses!

So even with all these shoes and gloves, my hands and feet are a mess. My hands are grubby and I scrub them with a brush but they never look clean, especially the cuticles. I soak my feet in Johnson's Foot Soap, and that helps a lot. Softens them and I put cream on, then socks for the night. But who has time for that EVERY night? Not me; too tired.

As for pinching pennies--I never buy a plant. Dave's is a wonderful place to trade, and I get lots of cuttings by stopping at some stranger's house and asking. Not one has ever turned me down. My sweetheart works at a nursery so he brings me plants that the owners throw away so I can coddle them back to health.

Some times, especially when the front yard needs me, I do wear real clothes.
Just some old pants and shirt. The shirt has to have a busy pattern/print because when I don't wear a bra it's not obvious. I go the dollar store and the hardware store in the neighborhood, because the know me and know why I look tacky and scrubby. And they see me often enough to know that I "clean up good."

Last year I put in a pipe/emitter irrigation system (all by myself) so that this summer I would not have to water anything this. It gets too hot for me when the temp is over 80, so I thought all I would have to do would be go out and turn on the system. But I only got the back yard and 1/2 of the front yard done before running out of money, so I still have water the other 1/2. We have already had some days in the 90's and it's going to get worse! We are in a severe drought condition so that means things have to be watered often, and I keep adding plants. Maybe I should have added "greedy" to my description above, huh?

So that's the kind of gardener I am and it seems I have a lot in common with a lot of you! Take care and don't get heat stroke!

Jo
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 16, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6554482

Wow, Jo, maybe I still have at least six more good years of gardening left in me if you're any measure! I never could go braless. Don't know why, just one of those quirks. AND while I might wander outside in my nightgown carrying a cup of coffee, once the coffee's gone, I'm into some clothes. Can't do the gardening in nightgowns either.

BUT my usual gardening attire is one of my husband's old T shirts (the rattier the better), an old, old pair of Bermudas, preferably cotton knit, some beat up shoes and, if I'm not going anywhere, no makeup. I like to let my skin breathe after a full week of warpaint.

Last night by the time I came in, I was both dirty and bloody, the blood coming from a rose I was planting. It slipped out of my hands and scraped my leg. I thought nothing of it, continued gardening and suddenly noticed the blood running down my leg. Just smeared it real good over the rest of the leg and kept gardening! To coin a phrase, Neither heat nor dark nor blood on leg shall stay a gardener from her appointed rounds! ^_^

But, Jo, I love your style and that's one dear sweetie to bring you plants for nursing back to health. You are a real inspiration! We all share a love of the earth, beautiful flowers and respect for nature. Have fun and keep your sweetheart happy.

Angie

This message was edited May 17, 2009 1:04 PM
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6555601

[quote]"honey, once you can't dig your own holes somebody will be digging one to plant you in!" [/quote]
oh, wow...what a thing to say, but it is probably that very same persistent determination that keeps these women going for so many years. One of my really goog friends is 75, still runs a 400 acre working ranch, and she can run circles around me!

Kassia-did you mean to write 'tick'?? I found one on my leg for the very first time about a month ago. That same day found one on one of my dogs, too. Euw. I was so disgusted one had gotten on me, but hubby said, "oh, that's nothing...you should have seen us back in the army"...he said they got them all over their heads. yuk. He has all sorts of disgusting stories from his army days, lol...leeches, ticks, etc.

The one on my little boy dog did not want to come off. We tried all the old-fashioned tricks, but still wouldn't let go, then saw a u-tube video, and now have a super easy way to keep in mind, in case we ever get one, again.

...oh, and I'm a painted nails gal, too. I only have long nails if I paint them. If I don't paint them, they brake right away. I read in an article many many years ago, when I was a teen, that if you paint BOTH sides of your nails that the water cannot soak in and then dry out(which each time it does it dries out your nails and makes them brittle), so I always paint both sides. It really works, plus, with several coats, actually makes them stronger, too. Especially because you are a nurse, you are always washing your hands. Try it, if you don't already :-)
[quote]I always get dirty and my hair is always full of leaves or tiny flowers from some tree or another.[/quote]
Jo-my hair always gets the same way. My husband will come home to take me to dinner after gardening all day ,and he'll say 'why don't you go in and clean up that birds nest, and get ready, so we can go eat",lol I looked at it one day, and it really did look like a bird nest. Now I try to wear a pink bandanda over my head, and I really like it. It keeps my hair from getting so littered with petals and such, and also keeps my hair from contantly tickling my face...
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6564243

Taylor, you are right... lol... I meant tick... so far have not find any... hope to keep it that way...

Oh Jo, you are funny... I am hopeless some days... I do garden on my pajamas! sometimes I just can't help it... I just go outside and don't come back inside to change... something will get my attention and there it goes... the no bra thing happens too... lol... not much to show so it's decent in my case... lol... I can't cover my head... it gets soo hot... and rain does not keep me away from my garden... and of course I still water if I am planting something new! I love to water the plants... I have an irrigation but I don't use it... to me it's the only way to know what is really going on... and in my case its a genetic trait... my dad used to do all the watering when I was growing up... I was talking with my sister about it... my dad and I would really be fighting over the hose!!!!!

I have my nails cut sooo short right now... can't paint both sides ... it's painted bright orange today!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6565307

I have often been known to run out to do "just one thing" in my pj's and stay out there way too long. Not that you can do heavy garden work in them, but I start deadheading or pulling weeds and just can't stop. Short nails are the only way to go Kassia, mine grow really quickly and I am constantly cutting them so that I don't end up with tons of dirt under them--for most of the time when I take the gloves off and do more than I should with them off! As for covering my head, I like a straw hat. I learned early (and the weather guy had a story on it today) that in my climate shade is always several degrees cooler than in the sun. Appartently that isn't so in humid areas??? But I learned from following the migrant workers on Grandpa's farm that if you wear a wide brimmed straw hat and keep it wet--they would dunk it in the irrigation I just spritz mine--the evaporation in our low humidity keeps you very cool.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6565312

Um, last week as I drove home on my street I passed what looked like a 2 ft. snake laying in the street. I hit the brakes, backed up and, sure enough, it was a 2 ft. snake laying in the street. He had been mortally wounded by the neighbor.

I sat there for a long while studying its markings. I decided it was an Eastern Hognose snake, because we had two in our yard before my DH hacked 'em to death. I kept trying to tell him I had researched in Dave's Garden and learned they were beneficial, only eating frogs, toads, lizards, mice, and rats. And, when they felt threatened, they actually roll over and play dead, even to the point of letting their tongues hang out one side of their mouth.

But, ya'll still might wanna rethink that no panties thing. Just imagine that crawling under one 'a those sundresses as you're squatting down admiring the roses and such.

Just a thought.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 19, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6567631

Gymgirl... my most recent unwanted garden visitor was also a snake, only not a beneficial. Some snakes are definitely beneficial, and I certainly wished we had a large king snake hanging out at our house when I saw a copperhead looking most angry that I had dared to come in HIS territory. Here is the identifying mark of that 19-inch meanie once he met my shovel:

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden

Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

May 19, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6569309

There's no doubt I'm the warrior type. More specifically, the Dying Gaul sort of warrior. I've got a few 'conditions' that make me very unsuited to working out in the hot sun, but I simply can't help myself, so as it starts getting really hot and unbearable out there (read: over 70 degrees)I have to start wearing my collection of white and natural linen shirts which I have to regularly soak them down with the garden hose repeatedly to keep going. And with the mud and the gritting of the teeth and the tufts of yanked-out weeds in the hair, tic-tac-toe scratches from the roses and the soaked head, (because when I become dangerously overheated, I find washing my hair saves me from heat stroke) it AIN'T a pretty picture!

Melis
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2009

Post #6571130

Melissande, It might not be a pretty picture, but I'll bet any gardener would find it a pleasant picture!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6571463

Wow, if I went without a bra when gardening, where would I put my Kleenex??

Another gardening tool that is my favorite, is the Hula Hoe. I really could use several more to lean against more trees so I wouldn't have to hunt the one down so often. ^_^ As I look out the den window, I see my Hula Hoe leaning against the big Juniper tree, a shovel (DH's) leaning on a Ponderosa pine, my lawn rake (I use it for everything) on a Ponderosa, a post hole digger leaning on the fence in Grandma's Garden. So guess you could say these are leaning tools, not gardening tools.
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6579536

I have some leaning tools, too! Also some bucket tools--can't remember which bucket I put them in. Leaning tools are easier to find. If they are actually leaning. Sometimes leaning tools are found LYING in the grass.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6579973

Except when you step on them as they're lying in the grass. Then they become whoppers, 'cause, "whoops -- you've been whopped!"
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6580252

I use 5 gal buckets to put weeds & leaves in for my DH to take to the compost pile. I also use them to haul around gravel and put pine cones in. These seem to wander around the yard and hide from me. Now after Grand Kitty sitting our Son's cat, I have kitty litter buckets. So at any given time you will see from the street all these different colored buckets scattered around the yard.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6581286

I am not happy with the kitty that lives in our yard right now, 'cause she's been using my raised beds as a litter box...
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6588484

ah, defiying all logic today I decided to garden wearing a dress... it was so nice for 10 min... in fact I promissed myself that I was just going to be watering the plants today... ha... nice try... needless to say my dress got dirty... oh well, can't help it!

here is my new veggie garden... when is finished I hope it will look nice and organized!

Thumbnail by Kassia

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 24, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6588841

Wow, Kassia, that looks GREAT!

I have to admit, I giggled out loud when I read about your dress experience... "it was so nice for 10 min"! =P
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6588928

Kassia-
mercy, girl! how much land do you have? an acre? I love your new veggie garden. I'm sure it will be lovely. Looks great, already!
:0)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6588935

very nice. what are you growing in the tall beds, the ones that look like tables.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6589025

yes... life is pretty entretaining when you garden in a dress... specially if you try to be clean and proper... definitely not for me...

I have 1/2 acre with the house in the middle... slowly I am getting rid of the grass... what a work... tons of work to get rid of it...

The raised beds have lettucce, parsley, oregano, nasturtiums, scallions, chives ... one thing I will use it for it is to start seeds next year... I am going to try to winter sow on those also... let's see...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6590821

Kassia-
that is the same size as mine, but yours seems so much bigger...guess it is because of all my trees...they really shrink the growing area

Great job! You have such a wonderful garden. I'll bet it gives you great satisfaction to look at it now. I remember when your neighbors were giving you looks.

'You've come a long way baby!'
-T
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6592521

Kassia, your veggie garden already looks nice and organized!! Bet you get some great produce out of it!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6592883

Taylor my dear friend I still get the looks from the neighboors... I just really don't care any longer... and my family is coming around slowly... but my garden changes so much each year... sometimes I think I will never finish! but you are right, I really love to walk around and just forget about everything else... hey I just started a thread on NE forum about my garden this year... I have some roses blooming... the rugosas are such a blessing!

Midwest - Tyro I am counting on it... can't wait to eat tomatoes specially!!!!
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #6593559

Great thread!! How did I miss it? Kassia, what a nice garden!! I thought I'd see pots of mii-roses all over, though.

I got into gardening practically unequipped. All money spent was mostly for plants and new rakes which seem to always break or fall apart on me. But as time goes by, things like good tools and functional clothes mean more than they used to. I never go outside without my secateurs. They're always in my hands. I like to garden best when the weather is cool, and have a thing for fleece and jersey sweatshirts and pants. During the warm months, I like to expose my arms and legs to get a bit of tanning, and go for the tanks and cut-offs. I have gone through so many pairs of cheap kid gloves that I am ready for some good ones that I can't take off to lose. I take them off to grab every weed I see. Even around roses, I touch petals and feel buds with my bare hands, try to catch darn Japanese beetles. Or feel down a rose stem for the bud node to prune it. But I try to take care of my hands, and dunk them in cocoa butter or salves. I buy those farmer salves. The sun has bleached my hair out so much that now I wear hats all the time, cold or not, when I work outside. It's a NY Yankees or Washington Nationals baseball cap, or a straw Steston. And I always wear sunglasses outside whatever the weather.

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6593575

Foxn, I have several miniature roses... but this year they are late to open! actually even the peonies are late also... I love mini roses... I always get some every year... some are trully gorgeous... and so healthy...

I did lazy garden today... just went out and enjoyed the view! but even if I just planted one plant I still got dirty and sweaty... unbelievable!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6594309

Kassia, glad to see you are enjoying veggie gardening too. It will expand I am sure! We have an acre but it is mostly rocks and the critters eat so much that this year I decided to remove some of the gravel edging and make previous flower beds into larger veggie beds. Still it will be the smallest garden I have had so I hope it will work out for us. I wanted to comment on you saying "sometimes I think I will never finish" let's hope you don't! Not finishing is part of the joy of gardening for me. Always something to work on and look forward too, then you add in the surprises provided by Mother Nature--it is an adventure! It is much easier now that my basic structure is done, but like I said even that is something I keep changing, like this year with moving gravel.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6594574

fox&firefly, I don't ever go outside w/o my hat. I can't stand the hot sun hitting my head, makes me that much hotter. In fact, I got some cheap straw hats at Walgreens and I keep 1 hat in each car just so I never go to a nursery w/o protection.

as to gloves, i like having a gazillion cheap gloves. The kind that are thin and have rubberized palms don't feel awkward and are washable. Atlas Gloves are an example of what I'm talking about. They're cheap too so you can buy several and rotate them as they're being washed. Just don't put them in the dryer. The thick leather gloves make it hard to handle tools, the fine leather gloves get ripped by thorns in no time. The gauntlet gloves make my forearms sweaty and uncomfortable.

I have an apron w/ 2-3 pockets which is perfect for clippers, tape for securing stray branches, gloves and is great...when I remember to wear it, lol.
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6594745

Paul called me from Home Depot yesterday asking if I needed anything, and I told him yes, some type of gardening apron, tool holder something, and this is what he brought home. So far I like it a lot. Haven't gotten everything in it yet.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6596377

I have had one of those for years. I also have a stool with a little apron on it, several aprons etc. I still lose stuff and lay my clippers down. Now I am trying to keep the bucket thing on the back porch and the stool on the front. With duplicate tools in each and that helps me since my property is large and I have been known to forget what I am hunting by the time I get back "around front" or whatever!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6601734

I have a set up similar to that too, a bucket with an apron on it and the bucket sits on a hand cart. That holds the tall tools that can be placed in the bucket along with the hand tools. Their handles are secured in place with bungee cord, as is the bucket itself.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 27, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6602348

Wow, y'all are WAY too organized for me! I suspect if I had everything neatly tucked into one bucket, I would promptly lose the bucket and spend my day looking for it!
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6602503

Well, I can't say I have everything tucked in the bucket, but I'm trying to get as much in there as I can. My garden implements are encroaching on our studio space (fused glass) and I am going to get chewed out by daughter #1 next time she comes up to work on glass if I don't get it put up. There's been so much to do in the garden (not to mention at work) that I haven't needed the space for glass in a while.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6603023

I received an apron as a gift, but didn't like to wear it because the pockets were so deep and low that when I put my pruning sheers or trowel in them, they got between my legs when I walked!! Also, I used it for bulb planting and the bubls got "buried" and I thought I had finished and found more when I took the apron off. I wish for a utility jacket, light-weight, w/pockets and hooks. Getting more sophistocated with gardening. It's a pain to be out in an area and have to go back to the shed for tools.

We ought to have a gardeners' hat exhibition!! Wos, I got a $10 straw Stetson from a local nusery and love it!! I also like the bandana scarves on the head. They hold your hair out of the way and cover it for maximum protection. Those bandanas look groovy with sunglasses. LOL!!! The sunglasses keep the gnats and dirt from flinging into my eyes when I yank weeds.

Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6603031

BTW, I heard of the Atlas gloves. I am going to look into them. Thanks!!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6603611

Fox-
I really thought that I had posted these on this thread, but just realized I hadn't...

Here are two links for you. The first one is my waist pouch by fiskars. It will not hang down too far, and holds just the right amount of stuff, and is thick enough my shears never poke me.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6506643

The second are my gloves just of of the washser, that I keep in rotation. The atlas are the thin baby blue and also the thin lime green colored pair. I get them at a local nursery for $5.99, but a friend got some through a co-op for only $2, so they are very affordable, and so you can buy several pairs, so you always have one clean. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6506652

and I wear the bandanas, (as you can see on the washer), but I don't wear sunglasses in the garden, so I guess I'm not a groovy gardener :0)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6603925

I end up with a small pair of clippers in my back pocket and that really works best for me. But the bucket and apron on the stool were helpful to me for a consistent place to stash the phone. Seeing your apron with the phone reminded me to that! : ) But now I have everyone trained to call my cell and it is tiny and fits in a pocket so that is really helpful as I tend to wander way off from the bucket/stool and then couldn't hear the phone anyhow! Of course if it is not between the hours of 9-5 I figure I am not on work time (self employed and work at home) so I don't take it out with me then. Garden time is my fun time after all--they can leave a message.
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6606185

Speaking of gloves and gadgets, I'm thinking of buying my wife one of those Garden Tractor Scoots from Gardeners Supply, any of you have one of those and if so how do you like it...Thanks

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.gardeners.com/Deluxe-Tractor-Scoot/37-770,default,pd.html?SC=MTP9W421
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 27, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6606197

I have a wagon that I can use as a scoot, but never do. The sides come up and down, so you can haul things in it or sit on it while working in the garden. It's comfortable, but I just can't get low enough to pull weeds and that type of thing in it. I find that anything that forces me to stay at one height while in the garden, such as a seat, is more of a hinderance than a help. But, they sell a lot of them, so apparently they are liked by some people...
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6606201

I think that one would be great. I have the earlier version that you can't steer, and it's a PIA. Also, no way to pull it to the area where you need it, so it tends to stay in the shed. I've been debating on whether to get that one.
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6606290

I prefer to be on my knees to weed, but since my knee replacement it's a little uncomfortable. What I think I need is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kids-Ride-On-Self-Propelled-Flying-Turtle-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ120329145480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c042d0c88&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 27, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6606362

Haha... "zips along any smooth surface"... I can't see using that in a garden! Here's one that really inexpensive and looks fairly handy, I think. You could add a handle if you want, but I think it's easier to fit in tight spaces in the garden without a handle.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792923310-step2-garden-scooter.html
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6606659

I've had one of those, too. I like the tractor seat one better. If mine had a handle like the new one it would be fine, it's just heavy and awkward to carry anywhere.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6606928

I just have a little seat that rocks so I can sit on it to pull weeds. I used it the last 2 summers when my feet were killing me and I could not stand. Now that my chiropractor has me walking I rarely use it. I tore a knee ligament a few years ago and the Dr. told me to never kneel on my knees. I would guess that with a knee replacement that might be a good idea too.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6606986

I have one of those little plastic ones and it has an opening in the middle of the seat you can fit your hand through so it's easy to carry. I mostly use it for weeding, sure saves my knees!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6607144

Paul, I have the one without steering and long handle. It works fine as I can screw the seat to height to make it easy for me to get up. With my broad rear, that tractor style seat is very comfortable. BUT, it's awkward to move around, so now I want the steerable one! ^_^
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6607328

Thanks for all your feedback and ideas...My wife has knee problems and uses one of those styrofoam or something like that knee kneelers when she helps me with the weeds, I'm hoping this will make her time out in the garden piddling around more comfortable and enjoyable...Again thanks for everything.

Paul
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6607477

Paul, that's what we're here for. ^_^
kastrol
West Chester, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6607667

I came in over 2 hours ago from gardening and just finished reading this thread. What fun to read...
and laugh...
What kind of gardener am I? The dress is- old t-shirt, old sweat pants or old shorts, (depending on how cold) flip flops and hair in a pony tail. Get a big cup of coffee and go outside and try to decide what you are going to do today...Think you have Decided. Go get the tools you will need for the job. Stop along the way to weed, take a sip of coffee, look around for awhile and try to remember what you were going to get. Can not remember, decide to do something else. Go get what you need for that job. Along the way you remember you should probably feed the fish, so you go get their food, feed them and watch them for awhile. Take a sip of your cold coffee and realize you should probably clean the filter before you start anything. Get that finished and go in to get a cold drink. Come back out and try to really started on something.
Some how I already have dirt all over me. I start out with gloves but they always get lost somewhere along the way. When I get to a place I can sit and weed or plant I slide on my butt to the next area, no need to get up. That is when I usually loose the flip flops, and spend the rest of the day in bare feet. By the end of the day My feet are black (they never come clean in the summer) my hands are stained with dirt (you take a layer or two of skin to get clean) My clothes are filthy and my hair is still in the pony tail but pulled out all over from some rose bush that got ahold of me.
I am exhausted but I look around at my garden and I smile! I can't wait to get up and do it again tomorrow.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6607796

That sounds like a true gardener. I used to sit on my fanny on the ground also, but after all these years, it would take a crane to get me back up.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #6608401

Paul-
just one tiny suggestion before you purchase. I have this and love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Garden-Rocker-Seat-Cushion/dp/B000MMGWGW

you can adjust the height, and it leans in with you, and makes activities at that level so much easier.

Why not show her her options, and let HER pick?

That is what my hubby has learned to do, lol...no more exchanging my gifts,lol
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 28, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6608434

Kastrol: You're my kind of gardener! I have a neighbor who loves to garden but hates to get dirty and she never does! I'm amazed how anyone can do that. AND she doesn't get paint all over her when she paints. Well, that's talent IMO.

Me, you can always tell if I'm gardening or painting. I get into it in a big way: sweaty (not dewy as proper Southern ladies are supposed to be), dirty and sometimes bloody!
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6608696

Well seedpicker, I decided to try the rocker. Looks like you can adjust it pretty low, which should save those lower back muscles.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 28, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6608961

Taylor, you don't have trouble rocking too far and hitting your bum with that stool? With that small base, I could just imagine myself trying to lean to reach something just a bit too far and then falling over. And, isn't it kind of a pain to get up and move the stool everytime you want to scoot a bit further? Just wondering... I'm like Kastrol, scooting along on my fanny as I work.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6609290

Irwells-
Yes, you can set it pretty low. I have mine on the lowest setting.

Evey-
The base is probably larger than you think. Also it is flat on the bottom, but just has curved edges, so it can tip forward, or to the side if you want it to. I've never fallen, but hubby used it the other day, and fell backward, but he was leaning way too far, lol...

I don't mind scooting it as I go, because usually with what I'm doing at the time, I'm focusing on primarily one spot for a while, so I don't even notice having to scoot it once in a while.

Everyone does things differently, so it is so nice that there are different products out there for everyone's taste. That is why I think for something so personal, maybe letting his wife pick would be best :0)

I have a neighbor who has one of those scooting ones like Paul is considering, but she said she never used it, and complained about how big it is, & how much space it consumed.

She said she's tried just giving it away, but no one would take it.

I bought several garden rockers at Home Depot recently for gifts, and everyone says how much they really love them
-T
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6609553

T, those look nice, but I would never be able to get up off one. Plus, I can just see me tipping over do to my balance problem right on a rock! ^_^

This message was edited Jun 3, 2009 7:27 AM
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6609814

Yeah, I'm such a klutz getting up may be interesting. I bet Paul watches out the window the first time I use it so I don't hear him laughing.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6609940

If you rock hard forward, it basically ejects you up, lol...
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 28, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6610448

Haha, Taylor, that's just what I'm afraid of with that one. At least I could entertain the neighborhood children with it... "Let's go out and watch Ms. Ev fly off her chair!!!!" =P

P.S. - I'm sure all the dirt, messy hair, wet clothes, scratched arms and other amenities that go along with my gardening are already entertaining enough!

This message was edited May 28, 2009 3:47 PM
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
5:23 AM

Post #6620739

That rocker seat is the one I have and I love it. I find that sitting on one that doesn't rock is difficult. The rocking actions makes it perfect for working while sitting.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6621074

Has it ever ejected you? :-)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6621152

a good portion of the base is flat, so it stays flat unless you purposefully lean to make it lean forward.
It was designed well.

I have found I use it for many more things than just gardening.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6621837

No I have never been "ejected" either. LOL! I have taken a tumble out of one that didn't have the rocker feature though.
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6621844

I got an email that mine shipped - we'll see this week how it works.
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #6634972

seedpicker, thanks for the heads up on the rocker and I took your suggestion about showing her all of them and letting her pick the one she wanted so we don't end up scoot'n, rocking and rolling around the yard all at one time...:) So far we've got it narrowed down to all of them...:)

Paul from Alabama
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6635254

[quote]...narrowed down to all of them[/quote]
lol
:0)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6669939

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/str?guid=20090609/4a2dde40_3ca6_15526200906091312176433
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7709579

I'm resurrecting this very funny thread to add this link about a gardener who had to fight the housing authority to defend the way they wanted to dress while gardening!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36576854/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7709675

OMG! That is hilarious! and to think, I feel guilty when I'm out there without a bra -- like this morning!

My new garden style is to let nature do its thing. There are weeds all over and I think they're kind of pretty. The grass in the backyard is looking very like a prairie. Prairies are good.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7711475

Midwest_tyro, Re: Your article:

Awk!! Last line: "...reflects the community's values." That won't do HERE. Some places do, most don't. Doing that here would mean jail. But I still have my tube & halter tops from Texas and I wear them whenever. Fortunately, I don't need permission from anyone to do so. A bathing suit is warranted in extreme heat.

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7711863

On most days, I wear my husband's work clothes to garden, but sometimes I wear my PJ's. That's me!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

April 19, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7718250

LOL, I was surprised and happy to see this thread resurrected. There are some REALLY funny posts in here! I'm still a "garden in whatever you happen to have on when you notice something needs to be done" kind of girl... from formal dresses and heels to pull weeds while walking out for the night to pj's early in the morning when a plant needs deadheading. =P

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7718579

I gotta stop showing up to work with muddy shoes on!

But, It's the first stop I make after I get dressed for work -- check'n on the babies before I leave!
juliabentley62
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8887166

I get down and dirty and wouldn't have it any other way. I am more interested in seeing how many medicinal plants I can grow and use... have been doing this forever. I am just now getting into flowers and other pretty plants but my main interest lies in my herbs and other medicinal plants. I use them for medicine and I make my own tea, salves, lotions and soaps, tinctures and so forth.
What most people call invasive or bothersome...are plants I call friends and have for almost three decades now.
meisgreen
Phoenix, AZ

November 16, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8893284

Yes, gardening should be enjoyed with all senses. Dirty's the word.

Just dug up 3 palo verde trees/large bushes last weekend (no easy shore) and I'm sure the neighbors had a few chuckles watching me out in my plastic slip on shoes with socks, pants that are 3 sizes too big, a tee shirt about the same, sitting on my back side while straddling the rootball, sawing away at it (I must say that taking down or otherwise destroying any plant/tree (except weeds) no matter placement or detriment to other plants or property is frowned upon, however necessary it might be. I do what I have to do) Needless to say a thorny branch whalloped me on my toes in protest. A toe can really bled. Even with a blosom of blood blooming on my sock I continued.

Gymgirl, I, too, have a habit of running around in the mud with work shoes. Sometimes i get to work and realize that I'm still wearing my gardening shows. Better the work shoes show some dirt!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8893691

I did that last week. Looked down and realized I had on rubber shoes just before I got on the freeway.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8894021

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has shown up to work (or at least almost to work) in my gardening shoes. Back then I wore nice suit and blouse, hose, and heels. Walked into my office before I notices the shoes. Too late to go home until lunch! Luckily I didn't have to work out n the library that day =)! After that I kept a spare pair of heels in my desk. Just in case...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8894061

Uh, yeah...spare heels under my desk! LOL!
meisgreen
Phoenix, AZ

November 17, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8894214

3 pairs of shoes! LOL
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8894291

Awww gee! LOL! You all know those were high heeled shoes now. We call them heels in Chicago. You know: pumps. =D

Anyway, everyone I used to work with was used to my "garden mania". No one complained when I brought in little rose bouquets for the front desk. The fragrance of just a few stems of Stanwell Perpetual and Mary Rose could fill the whole library. That made up for the muddy garden shoes.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8894301

I just hid out at my desk all day. Sneaked into the bathroom. Didn't ride the elevator up or down...
victorengel
Austin, TX

November 17, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8894533

I haven't read the entire thread yet. I've decided it would be better if I'm not inspired by other posts. I can summarize myself by saying that I am who I am. I don't change anything for gardening. I don't use gloves, since I like to feel what I'm doing. I feel like I'm missing out on some essence of gardening if I protect myself too much. Having said that, I tread extremely carefully around my 'Little Mermaid'. My standard 'Mermaid' is by itself and hasn't hit its growth spurt yet. All other roses that I have, in comparison, are nothing.

I do have what apparently is a permanent lump in one finger from having skewered myself on an agave leaf point.

If I mix soil for potting, I sometimes use a tool, but I invariably end up doing the mixing with my hands. I can tell better if something needs to be added or when the mixture is completely blended this way.

I also don't arrange my plants formally or in a regimented style. I prefer something more haphazard. My roses are planted too close together. That sort of just happened and is sort of on purpose. My main line of roses goes along the driveway. A primary purpose was to form a barrier to prevent the mailman from treading along the same path along my front lawn. Who wants a mailman trail in the middle of their front lawn? My effort against this trail started with placing obstacles directly in the trail. Eventually, though, the rose (plus other plants) barrier grew, and now it effectively keeps the mailman off the grass.

Getting back to clothing, there is a piece of attire I sometimes don for gardening -- boots. Boot-shod feet are more effective at driving a spade or garden fork than tennis-shoe-shod feet. I also have long hair and a long beard. I've learned from experience that it's wise to braid my hair and tie up my beard before gardening. Moving wisps of hair out of ones face with a muddy hand is not fun. And even on calm days, there are invariably gusts that like to move hair around. I don't wear a hat, but I probably should.

I tend to let the plants work out their spacing requirements. They compete with each other and crowd out the weaklings. What remains are healthy plants filling an area. If a large plant dies, what goes in its place frequently bears no resemblance to what died.

I'm also easily distracted by critters and may interrupt a project to document some interesting bug.

In the warm season, I have a great relationship with mud daubers. They know that when I come out it's watering time and that there will be some nice mud to gather. They immediately investigate the ground near where I am for the best mud. Sometimes they will perch on the end of my watering wand watching for good mud. At the end of the day, they gather together in one of my plants by the dozens. I let them make nests in the garage, on the front door, wherever.

Mowing is fun. The female grackles know it's lunch time when the mowing starts. I have a concept of a comic strip a la Far Side, where a gardener is pushing a lawn mower around the yard, his head turned to look at a grackle. Meanwhile, the grackle is pushing a shopping cart around the same yard, its head turned to look at the man mowing the yard.

If I find truffles in the rose bed, I eat them -- usually with scrambled eggs.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8894544

Where I mow, the house swallows follow LOL! I love it.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 17, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8894614

When I'm shredding pastures (mowing - just on a larger scale) the cattle egrets always show up and hunt the bugs flushed by the tractor. Then the hawks arrive watching for rabbits and voles. At this point the egrets often leave. Neatest of all was when a group of purple martins came insect hunting. They were too fast to count, but they swooped about for about 30 minutes then disappeared only to return two hours later for a repeat performance. I nearly ran into a tree watching them!
jimwil22
rhinelander, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8923530

dirt is good or soil i should say -- after many cuts i wear gloves now though

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America