Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Can anyone ID this one?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 8, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5756171

Hi, I'm just getting into growing gingers and got this plant from a friendly neighbor. She said it blooms pink for her. It just started to bloom about a week ago for us and it is white and VERY FRAGRANT :)

Thanks for any help on the ID
~Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

November 5, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5756186

probably Hedychium coronarium, but there are some other white hedychiums. In zone 6B I would guess coronarium though, its the most common white in the trade

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5756253

Thank you, I was just wondering and thinking the same thing after seeing a similar photo a few posts down in the forum. I was mistakenly thinking it was Z. officinales.

this is the bottom and what the leaves look like

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

November 5, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #5756364

Zingiber officinales is the common kitchen ginger you buy at the store. Its blooms are basilar, not terminal. It blooms with little green and yellow "pinecones" like a shampoo ginger.

Your plant is a Hedychium, a butterfly ginger. It looks like it is supposed to, but it is badly in need of repotting. Yo need to cover those rhizomes with fresh soil and put it in a larger container.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5756532

Thanks, I had just re-potted it this summer into this pot, which gave it another couple inches all around plus added depth for the roots. The way I received it was with the rhizomes showing like that and my friend is a master gardener, I didn't question it. So, the rhizomes are best covered up more?
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

November 6, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5756844

As a general rule, yes.

As you can probably tell, hedychiums extend their rhizome mass quickly. You will likely have to repot yearly, unless you start splitting your plant in half. Eventually you will be at the point where you will have to split it up.

Sometimes here in FL when people decide to move, thin, or REMOVE hedychiums, we have to use powertools, LOL.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5756937

That's funny :) I know what you mean because when I took it out of the pot to transplant it, it was pretty tightly bound!

Is it normal then, to have to add surface dirt to cover the rhizomes periodically?

Thank you for your help,
~Diana
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

November 6, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5757126

I have extensive stands of hedychiums growing on my property, and I always make certain that the rhizomes are covered. Squirrels and other animals will chew them, and cold can harm them in a freeze if they are not buried.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5758371

Good to know...Thanks! I kept ours potted and recently took it inside because I figured it would not survive a zone 6b winter.

I also have another pot of ginger growing that was started from seed from a DGer. It is in its second year now, still has not bloomed yet, but it is looking good and growing. The blooms are supposed to be red. I don't know the genus or species on that one either.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America