Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 131 - There go the Temps Again!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 220, Views: 1,515
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5756716

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/917451/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5756737

MEMEMEMEMEMEME I M FIRST
Now what ?
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5756796

Congratulations Chele!!!!!!!!!!!
A Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pauletta
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5756832

Thanks Pauletta!

No boys named Sue! Geesh. :)

We are looking at boys names that end with N of course. I like Jason, for my nephew and brother and Nolan because my maiden name was Noland. I also like Christian (from a dear sDG pal and her sweet boy). Many, many kids ago, Austin was our boy name but now we know too many of those. LOL

The kids have ruled out several names: Dustin, Mason, Ian, Tristan...I'm sure that list will grow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5756866

LOL... my cousin named his boy Christian... actually it was Christian Hunter, but his wife made him swap first and middle name positions to Hunter Christian.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5756924

I like the name Christian. I'm just afraid I'd call him Kristenne and Carlynne before I could get another C K C K out of my mouth. LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #5756961

Pardon my butting in...Congratulations to all of your family on the impending arrival...Might I suggest that you break the rules and name him Noland Christian??? My Middle name is my Maiden name which is Daniel...and I am certainly not male...

The meaning of the name Noland is: Descendent Of The Famous One

The origin of the name Noland is Irish
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5756996

Thanks!

Yes, my Dad's Father's family was Irish and his Mother's family was French. My Father's middle name was my Grandma's maiden name-Fortney, which I always thought was pretty.

Nolan also translates to chariot fighter or champion. I just jokingly said we should call the new one Fortune. Hoping to change our luck? LOL

All of my kids names are significant to family names. Jazzi's middle name came from Mystic (Peggy's) daughter's middle name.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5757134

Congratulations Chele!!!!!!!!! I KNEW it was a boy!!! Just like Jo...these things come to me...LOL!! I am so happy for you and your family.
Happy belated birthday Darius! Better you than me...lol..but my turn is coming!
Nothing going on here, except therapy...which is going well. I am doing well...except for sleeping at night. I mainly just cat nap as I can.
I drove today for the first time by myself. That felt good! My PT asked me if my dr said it was ok? I said...I didn't ask him!! I just did it.
Dave planted my rose that has been sitting all summer in a pot! So I think everything is in the ground now. I hope it lives.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5757286

Sue is the loft open to the living room? Better start wearing a helmet!!

Chele, when is your interview with KMart? Didn't you work there before? You will probably have that on your side. Sure hope it works out.

Dusty, what is going on in your world? Still packing? Any word on the house?

Paulette how is that baby doing?

Marcy, Hoorah, you got to drive. Wish you had checked with the Dr first, but if you had no problems, then guess it is okay. Have missed your daily check in.

Dispatcher, and Marcy, I don't have any feelings about impending events!! Well, only if it doesn't concern my DTS, and then that is another story.

Neal, and George, need to see you popping in more frequently. I am thinking that maybe a bon fire is in your futures, oh, I would love to do that.

Tomorrow I will get out and finish the fall clean up. I have had many days to get that done, but my energy level has been very low, due to being sick, so knowing that the weather is supposed to change, and I don't want to be out running around in the cold finishing the clean up, it is now or never.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #5757403

Bonnie , He is doing great
Growing like a weed.
He is up to almost 8 lbs now.
I will put up a pic of him soon

I have been busy also.
Been munching leaves, raking leaves, mowing leaves
I think we have around 40 trees aroung our house
I love leaves yet I hate leaves
Just don't know how much longer we
will feel like doing all this yard work.

Pauletta

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5757447

Munching leaves, Pauletta? Tasty are they? ;) Roughage!

My Cricut still hasn't come in. Now they're in the middle of moving their store from the big unit to the new single unit next door. Aaargh.

On the plus side, Howie decided to upgrade our nerd phones to the new T-Mobile G1 phones. They're the ultimate nerd phones, with a Linux-based, open source operating system called Android. It was developed by Google, so the phone syncs up with all the Google services. Christmas shopping is done for us for the next two years now, I think.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5757487

Just a quick note and I gotta scoot...
No problems w/ the 6 Pack dressing him as a girl.
I can't ever remember seeing them dressed as girls... LOL!

I think Bart Simpson would be a good name!
Ric
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5757523

LOL GW, I should have said mulches leaves with a leaf blower/mulcher
Yes I expect they would be pretty rough!!!
Probably wouldn't taste very good either

Pauletta
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5757677

RIC!!!! You are Awful!!!! Rotten lil Bros!!!! ;-P

Anyone have a cure for a puppy who loves your anklez??? Lily loves to lick mine...Every time I sit down, the brat comes and lays across my foot and licks the opposite foots ankle...That tickles dernitt!!!

Marcy !!! Finally!!! Glad to hear from you!! Don't ever think you have nothing to contribute...Just a wave from you makes all of our days!!
We Love you Lady!!!

Bons...Looks like we may have a place...Got a late call tonight from a homeowner we are working with...Negotiating the details now...Should know something by the end of tomorrow...If all goes well, we should be out of here by the first of Dec...That being the case, and barring my having to whiz over there this Saturday, the packing will resume in full force this weekend...I would love to be gone by 12/1 if at all possible...
I just want this to be over with so we can settle...A spring move to the farm will be a piece of cake, since I don't intend to unpack any more than needed to maintain over the winter...There is a spare room in that particular house that I can stuff the boxes, and a 2 car garage...so I wouldn't be lacking for space...

Lana.. Good Luck at the show this weekend!!! Your bunnies are lovely...

Off to my rack...Have a good night all...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5757718

LOL at Ric! You may have a point there!

I knew what you meant, Pauletta. That just tickled me. :D
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5757720

Dusty, wait a minute - did I miss something? Are you not moving into that house in Michigan now? What happened?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5758431

Good morning everyone
Well everyone is busy it looks .
I love the name Nolan !!! i pick that one . Sounds very fitting . :) IMHO
Dusty hoping the move goes well. Still have boxes for you , come and get them when you need too.
Ric !!!!! You sooooo bad.
Marcy HOOORAY FOR YOU so glad to see you posting
GW neat phones !! saw the commercial they look fun. Have you seen the new touch screen comp ? i think its an HP ? that looks totaly cool. I might switch over back to pc for that one ? maybe. I just love the Mac commercials LOL i crack up everytime. Dh thinks i m a weirdo ? go figure. Yeah for the nerds !!!! Nerds rock !!!
I have a mother deer who is visiting us everymorning and guess what ? she has twins !!!!! how cool is that ? I think its a sign ?
sheesh i took a fat burner and well... i m jumping out of my skin "ack" i took a half does too . Won't be taking anymore of them things . Sheesh. oh mighty.
Paulette looking forward to seeing them cute babys pics ! glad things are going well for him .T&P for you and the family.
Ok got to go run on the ellipitcal machine thingy to get my skin back on body.
ttyl
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5758910

Morning everyone. I haven't been avoiding you...I just didn't much feel like talking. When you don't get much sleep...you don't feel very good.
I did sleep pretty good last night...was only up 4 times. My PT says it will get better...WHEN????????
I guess today is supposed to be our last warm day for a while...so think I will go outside and walk...or something!
Sounds like you all have been really busy as usual.
Well...I have to figure out something for supper tonight. Do you all get tired of doing that???? I sure do! I know!! I have a frozen meatloaf in there...that's what we'll have!!! Well...solved that one...LOL!
Seems my life revolved around food...it's now lunch time! Better go help get it ready so Dave can go to work.!!
Waving~~~~~~~~~~~ to all!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5759045

Marcy, good to "see" ya! Figuring out what to fix for dinner gets so tiresome doesn't it. Sometimes I just stare into the freezer in a daze- nothing looks appealing.

Earlier this summer I posted some poppy pics, and seems like one or two of you wanted seeds. Joyce, weren't you one of 'em? I've been busy sorting and packing seeds, and putting names on those saved for someone, so speak up whoever wanted poppy seeds!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5759099

Neal, me, me, I got my hand up waving!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5759156

Me, too, Neal. And, I've already forgotten what I promised to send you. I should write these danged things down!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5759434

Yes, Neal, you're right! I wanted poppy!!

Pauletta, great news on little Denzil. I bet Momma and Poppa are busting buttons as well as G-ma!

Of course, it's going to be cold and nasty this weekend, cause I'll have a chance to be outside. :O( Sure is pretty out today!

Hugs for all!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5759504

Got y'all (Bonnie, Darius, and Joyce) on the list for poppy seeds! I've got a little box of seeds to mail started- I'm rather enjoying the sorting and packing.

Oh, Darius, I had forgotten too, lol. I just remembered, it was leek seed!

This message was edited Nov 6, 2008 2:55 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5759564

Ahhh, yes. I'll make a note right now!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5760166

Hey gang ! :)
whew busy house day
Elliptical machine 2 miles
made pies 4 pumpkin and one coconut
Grocery store
laundry
pick up kids
dinner . Ok that one i cheated cuz its chilli in a crock pot i did this morning LOL :)
gave some pies to the neighbors
came home and decided not to fold laundry and sit and play on comp
whew not really exciting is it ? :P lollllll
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5760257

Sue, my day hasn't been very exciting either. I did get some (actually a LOT) Beef Stroganoff started for dinner. I think I will freeze half before I add the sour cream. No one eating but me tonight. My sis and her kid both say they are sick... although I have some doubts. This makes the 4th time my sis has missed work, and she's only had this job ~3 months.

I had planned to make a huge pot of Vichyssoise, BUT... the leeks I put in the root cellar had mostly rotted. I could tell why after I got them all out of the bucket where they were standing... far too much moisture in the peat mix at the bottom. Good lesson for next year, bad for now as that was about $100 worth of leeks if store-bought. :(
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5760357

Sue, you go, girl!

Darius, bummer on the leeks! I wonder if the leeks themselves released some moisture?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5760387

Doubtful, Neal. The upper part was okay, just not enough of it to be worth a hoot.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5760394

Neal...MEEEEEEEEE...poppy seeds, please!!! What can I send you????
Meant to say earlier...Hi Pauletta!!!! Glad grandbaby is doing well!!!
Sue...you are a whirlwind!!!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5760736

Hi Marcy
Missed you...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to everyone

Ok Here is a pic of Little Denzil
Taken on 10-01-08
Not recent, will get one more recent soon
Pauletta

This message was edited Nov 6, 2008 7:44 PM

Thumbnail by lilyhostaky

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5761208

Ohhhh Pauletta!! He is beautiful...Welllll Handsome... LOL

Neal... If you have any Poppies left, I would love some...

Well it looks like we have a house to go to...I have to go over there Saturday to finalize everything...It is ours for as long as we want or need it, or buy it if we decided we want to stay rather than go to the farmhouse..
GW... The Farmhouse is occupied by a young couple with two very small babies.. The hubby was laid off several months ago, and they have no place to go, and very little money coming in...I refuse to be responsible for kicking them to the curb in the winter and right before the Holidays...
I told son to leave them be, and we will find a rental to do us until the weather breaks come spring...

This house was owned by a woman who passed away back in January... Her elderly Mother moved in to it, but she couldn't manage the upkeep...Her only child, a young daughter in her mid 20's inherited it, and it had to go through probate etc...The girl lives in an apartment in East Lansing, and will not move back to Kalamazoo area...I has been listed for several months and price reduced etc...They just put a new roof on it on Nov 1st...The girl, named Kyle, LOL just wants out from under the management of it, and agreed to lease it to us so she didn't have to have it winterized...The price is most assuredly right, for both sale and lease... It is less than half what we are paying here, and well worth every dime...
It needs some cosmetics, like paint etc. but you all know me by now...

Mind you, the pics you will see were taken in September and Oct before everything was moved out, and cleaned up...All appliances stay...
Needless to say, I will be packing and tossing like a mad fool this next 3 weeks...and giving my 2 week notice at work next Friday...After the day I had today, I almost gave it tonight... :-P Not one of the better days...

http://picasaweb.google.com/DustyDS/NewHomeInMI#

See what ya think...;-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5761496

Dusty, looks good. Now you have a pool, but probably not many too warm days to put it to use.

Neil, did I have anything that you wanted in return for the poppy seeds?

Paulette, Little Denzil is a great looking baby. Handsome comes later.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5761518

Hey Dusty...it looks nice! I don't blame you...I wouldn't feel right putting those kids on the street either! Hopefully..he will find a job soon.
Soo many people out of work...or about to be...it's a very sad thing...and scary too.
How is Jim doing from his back surgery now?
Well..I am up later than usual for me. Guess it's cause I took a nap this afternoon. Seems all my sleeping habits are changing here!
But saying good night to all now. Sleep well.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5762369

Morning all!

Dusty, beautiful. You will call it home soon. How far away from your son?

I'd be glad to swap for those poppies too if you have an itch for anything of mine!
(I wouldn't say that to just anyone... ;o)

Chele...this is what a boy baby looks like... ^_^

Hey Marcy, glad you're back! Hi Darius, Sue, Bonnie, Kim, Pauletta and anyone else I missed! Oh yeah, hey to all you lurkers, too!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5762434

Dusty do you remember the name of the Urbana Landfill i took Jim too ? i can't remember what road its on ? duh. You and Jim want a pumpkin pie ?
I m sad your leaving but happy for you that things took a different turn :) seems grandfather was looking in a different direction for you.
Let me know if there is anything i can help iwth for the family with the young ones. I could send stuff with you to give them ?
Darius bummer on the leeks :( i love leeks haven't made that soup in a long time. Oh i miss it.
well i m one pooped pup. Gonna get some things done today before it rains
so just a big ~~~~~~~ and big (((())))) to everyone
cute baby pics
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5762549

Marcy and Dusty, got ya on the list :-)

Marcy, I've got salmon pink doubled and frilled P.somniferum, and mixed Shirley poppes (P.rhoeas) as well as seed from the crimson doubles you sent me the seeds for. Do you still have the red ones? If not I can send you some of those too. On the packs I have ready I've labeled them "Marcy's Red Double" :-)

Otherwise, I'm sending some of all 3 to each of ya.

Bonnie, Marcy, and Cookie nothing in return is necessary, but if ya got something cool I might be interested, LOL. I've been gathering up heirloom and open pollinated veggie and herb seeds if you've got anything like that, and you know I'm a flower fiend so I've always got an eye out for anything I don't have.

LOL, Cookie!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5762602

^_^ Glad you got that...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5762623

Hey Goshsmom...if you're lurking...Happy Birthday!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5762654

Happy Birthday Goshsmom, hope it is a great one.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5762730

Dusty, that place is darling! I love the Cape Cod style. It looks like it will be a lot easier to keep up, too. Who knows, you may find you like having a little place.

Howie and I would like a place in the country someday, but we plan on only maintaining the area right around the house and letting the rest grow wild. We really do love our little house, though.

Happy birthday, GM!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5763105

Gosh, I'm blind, didn't even see that link Dusty. The house is wonderful! It looks like the perfect size too, both in structure and garden area- you won't have to kill yourself with upkeep! Oh, and the pool! I'm green with envy, LOL.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5763536

Happy Birthday Goshmom :)
not much here. Went and did some errands in Springeild then ate a luch ( not on the diet menu :P ) uhg.
came home , did some dishes and well... ho hum . Ate some pie too. lol
Neal i will go look in my seeds and see if i can scrap up some heirloom veg seeds for you. :)
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5763812

Happy Birthday, Pat! ...meant to say that earlier...airhead here, lol.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5763821

Sue, by the way, if you're doing 2 miles on the elliptical, you sure don't need fat burning pills! :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5764426

Evening all...Yes, it is a cute house, but remember I am supposed to be on the Farm...I will likely never swim in that pool, because we will probably be gone by summer...I also have another house to look at tomorrow that my son called me about today that is nearer to him...
I am taking my laptop and camera with me tomorrow so I will be able to upload...
Today is Jims Birthday, so we are leaving here in a few and I am taking him to supper at The Dock, down in Enon...I have wanted to go there forever and now we are going to be leaving OH, I thought tonight would be a good excuse...They have Steaks and Seafood, so he will eat steak and I will eat something from the water...Fishaholic that I am...^_^

I will check in when we get back...Reservation is for 7:30

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5764530

Have fun Dusty. ! you deserve it
GW LOL yeah but remember i m eating pie LOL :) it just kinda gives me a jump start on the day when i havn't sleeped well. Yeah i know not a healthy alternative ,buuuut sometimes i just need more than 4 cups of coffee. :) i did find a source for raw chocolate and cocoa for a alternative drink. Kinda like a chocalote tea ?
Bonnie i opened up my first pickled beets and WOW I M ADDICTED. They are wonderful , i used your recipe . My MIL loves them too.
NOt much to report. Rainy and cool here today. didn't get much done outside.
Gonna try and get some ginger tea for the winter. For those who are always cold that is a great way to keep warm this winter.
take care and have a good night
Our stocks went up a whole .04 cents LOLLLLLLLLLLL we rich !!!! LOLLLLLL
good night
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5764926

Happy Birthday Pat! Hi everyone!
Neal...you don't have to send me red poppy seeds back...lol! I'll look around and see what I have that you might like.
Dusty...tell Jim Happy birthday...better him than me! Hope you enjoy your dinner!
Did some new exercises in therapy today...and am..of course...sore tonight. No pain..no gain...right?
I guess the 'knee thing' is pretty well under control...and now they are working on the weakness in my lower back and hip. They are still trying to see if I can walk without the cane. Time will tell. Had a different PT today. She thinks that is related to my one leg being shorter than the other? Anyway...more work to do there.
I did drive up there again today...no problems with that.
Hope everyone is enjoying their evening!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5764937

Dusty,. hope you have a good meal, and wish Jim Happy Birthday from me, not that he will know who I am!!!

Sue, yep, those beets are very good. We always have a pint open in the fridge, and they don't last long. We sort of eat them like candy!!

What is ginger tea? Say it's good for keeping warm in the winter, any other health benefits?

I tackled some more paper work today, got everything filed away, and got some new soft ware that enabled me to start working on the data base for the cemetery. I worked about 3 hours after supper, and got most of the names entered, just have to proof them, and the next step is to distribute that to the board members, and some older members of the community, to see if they can tell me who some living relatives are. Those will be the people that we will be contacting for donations for the upkeep. After we identify living relatives, then I need to find addresses and prepare a letter to go out in early spring. This will be my winter project.

Neil, do you want some heirloom tomato seeds from me in exchange for the poppy seeds? I have plenty of daylily seeds too, if you would rather have something like that.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5764944

Marcy, have they mentioned a heel insert to go in the shoe for the shorter leg? I was having some back pain years ago, and they discovered that I have one leg shorter than the other, and a simple wedge thing inserted into my shoe helped tremendously. I don't know how much difference there is in the legs, maybe too much for this to help you.

Glad that you at least are out and getting around by yourself. That in itself is a big step.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5765109

Hey Bonnie...I have a built up shoe that I was fitted for after my last back surgery. Wore it for a while...then decided it really didn't make that much difference. Well..this PT is telling me it does? The dr and the other PT's I've mentioned it to, didn't seem to think it made that much difference? So who do you believe??? I told her I would wear it to my next therapy session on Monday, so she can see how it is doing. She is the one who reccommended it in the first place. She seems to think it could make the difference in me walking with a cane or without? Heck...if it works...that would be great. If not...well...I have used a cane for the last 17 yrs...so no biggie. My shoe is built up 3/8 of an inch...so it was more than a wedge could do. We tried the wedge first.
Yeah...it feels good to be able to drive my own vehicle again...lol! Ok...I am off to bed...been a long day...with therapy...supper out...and grocery shopping after supper with Dave. Still riding the cart at Walmart...too much area to walk yet. :)) Night everyone.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5765157

Hey all, sorry have been offline. Have my puter unhooked and everything moved out of the bedroom to paint the floor. Sleeping in the LR floor on an air mattress at the moment. Can start moving stuff back into the bedroom tomorrow. Will have to take pics before moving everything back in tomorrow. Not real happy with the floor color but think it will work with area rugs and maybe some stenciling. Using dh's work laptop tonight. Not making it to the Springfield show this weekend. Having vehicle problems that will have to be looked at next week. Bummer, there's only two more shows I can make it to this year before surgery. Showing starts again in Feb.

Chele, congrats!!!! That poor boy with all those older sisters :) What do the girls think about getting a brother?

Marcy, glad things are going so well for you.

Hi to all ~~~~

Lana
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5765201

See Marcy if you'd spent that extra Buck 98 for the longer knee... ;-)

Ric
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #5765207

ROFL @ Ric :D
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5765334

Hey, everybody,
Thanks for all the birthday greetings. I had a really good time doing nothing much at all. We did go out this evening to the Cheesecake Factory. Good food but they might as well serve it in a wheelbarrow--- every portion is HUGE! I brought home over half my dinner, so I guess we'll find out how it tastes reheated in the microwave.
My son is finishing up his project in Dallas & will probably be going to St. Louis next. He lived there for a year, so he thinks it will be fun to go back. I'm still sad he missed out on a project in Salt Lake City--- I could have moved in with him & worked on my genealogy at the Family History Library. I am really, really grateful that he's got a good job.
You know you're getting older when you get a flannel nightgown for your birthday-- and you love it!!!
I have new windows for the living room and my bedroom on order, & have the electrician lined up to correct some of the wiring & lighting deficiencies in the bathroom. We have only one outlet in there, and that's not enough for 2 women with rechargable toothbrushes & hairdryers, etc. Our 1955 bathroom fan gave out, so we're getting a new one-- I figure anything will be quieter than the old one, which was like standing on a runway at O'Hare at 8 am. Plus some new light fixtures. So I'll be poor but well lit and ventilated for Christmas!
Hmmm, I still haven't done anything to the fireplace. It's still down to the cinderblock. Guess I better get back to the great Search for Tile.
A big howdy to everyone, & another thank you for being such great e-friends.
Pat

ps-- Isabella is doing well and they are talking abt her getting home one of these days!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
7:32 AM

Post #5765522

I know just how those 1954 fans sound, Pat, only our jet engine is in the kitchen ceiling. ;) It's great Isabella's doing so well. Oh, thank God for that!

I got a call from the scrapbook store at about 6:30pm, letting me know my Cricut finally came in today! Howie and I went to the store to pick it up, then we headed over to Royal Thai for dinner. It is sooo good, a local Thai restaurant that cooks everything fresh. The sauce on the entree I got was light enough you could still taste the individual vegetables' flavors, just delicious. We had eggrolls and some fried tofu with plum sauce for appetizers.

After dinner, we headed over to Caribou and played Scrabble for a couple hours. Only after we got home and were watching Leno and Conan did I finally open up the box and play with the new machine! Nerdy me, I cut out the word Cricut! first thing. LOL It was hard peeling those up in our dim living room. These eyes need better light nowadays! Here's a bad picture from the phone, but you get the gist:

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5765589

Good morning! We are up and ready to start running. Bleck. What crazy person schedules 6-7 year olds to play soccer at 8am?? I guess I should feel lucky. State tournaments are usually in Fairfield. This year they are in Milford. Wish them luck. Right now they have 13 wins, 0 losses and 1 tie. I think we are playing a Lakota team. If they win, we go back tomorrow. If they lose we are done.

After that game, we have to bust buns back home because Carly has a basketball game at 11:00. Hubby and Carly are missing the early soccer game since she has to be at her game at 10:30.

I am invited to two daylily banquets, one today and one today but don't know if I can make either. It's probably too late to say yes anyway. :( Oh, to be the mama! LOL

Pat, belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry I didn't get a chance to tell you yesterday. I'm very happy to hear you are getting upgrades! I so miss having a fireplace.

Kimberley, congrats on finally getting your new toy! You are going to have so much fun!

I've been on the run, finishing up soccer, starting basketball, making more barrettes and ribbon goods, teacher conferences, cleaning out closets, packing up summer clothes, looking for maternity clothes and still reeling from the fact that diaper changing is going to be so different this round! LOL Yes! I know I have to keep "it" covered! LOL

Good to see all of you! Guess I better jump and run. We have to get out of here by 6:30.

Have a great day!

Here's the rowdy bunch of butt kickers. Hope they win today! Jazzi is on the back right. She's coughing and gagging this morning. Not good.

Thumbnail by Badseed

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5765720

Good Morning all.. Happy Birthday Pat... Sorry I didn't get back on last night to tell you...

I am off to MI...running about an hour later than I wanted to be, but oh well...

I'll check in later on from over there...Have a great day all!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5765783

Hey everyone
i got some pics of going on with the house and DH projects and my hosta gardens.
OOOOK well i thought i was going to post some pics but i can't find them ? HMmm...
ooops found them . how they got there i have no idea
Dh in Project Mulch

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5765785

we are starting to see ground but it made a mess ! on the gravel driveway.

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5765787

Dh with Project Walkway

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5765790

Dh with Project Garden Beds

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5765792

Dh with His New Grapple for Skidsteer.
ok this i promise is the last one.

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5765802

Have a great day everyone
Bonnie i will check on the ginger tea. I m thinking its like simmering fresh ginger in water or maybe can find in stores ?
I know some drink raw ginger juice and its quiet the experience but i think i won't go that far "ack" :P but be warned it has a kick to it. Start out slow and mild.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5766156

Sue, you have the best toys! :) Everything is coming together great! That dirt looks nice and rich!

We just got home from the soccer game. They won 8-0. Wooo hooo!

Now we are off to the basketball game.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5766173

I've had fresh ginger brewed into tea... pretty good, and very good for you. Of course I don't remember WHY...

Okay, I looked up ginger tea 'benefits'...
Ginger tea has a spicy, invigorating taste. It's used as a home remedy for indigestion, nausea, and to ward off colds, flu, and sore throats. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ginger-tea.html
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm

This message was edited Nov 8, 2008 10:23 AM
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5766413

Hello Everyone!

I'm pretty new to this site and your friend Pauletta sent me a message to jump in the pile here. It took me a while to figure out what ORVG was lol.

Well I guess I should introduce myself a bit.
My name is Carolyn Cropper, (not real creative with the screen names lol) I am 34 and have 3 girls ages 3, 6, and 14. So with that said I have a lot of grey hair which is all over the house because I pull it out daily.
Prayed for boys...someone has a strange sense of humor!
Oh, and I have a husband which hates gardening or any type of yardwork! I'm a solo gardener. I live in a very small town called Lewisburg, Ky which is in Logan county. There are only about 1100 people here, no stop lights and one cop who actually shot himself in the foot like Barney a couple years ago! Interesting place lol.

My major passion in life is food. You can tell by looking at me! I am a self taught chef and work from home baking wedding cakes and doing catering for those who can afford it around here, doctors and lawyers mostly. My business is called "The Hillbilly Bakery" and I am currently writing a cookbook named " Hillbilly Baking at Home". Guess you could say that i'm a proud Kentuckian. I'm not inbred but have friends that are so I guess that is close enough, barefoot 99% of the time, and pregnant more times than I needed to be lol. Slap on some overalls and i'm the perfect hillbilly!

As for my gardening, it is compact. I do not have a huge lot so I pack about 40 different things into a 20 x 30 space. I use several 5 ft tall wire cages for things like cucumbers and beans, also small japanese melons and such. I grow 9 different herbs and I just love strange and exotic veggies from around the world. This spring i'm growing some white tomatoes, albino sugar beets, chinese red noodle beans, and rainbow peppers. It should be a lot of fun.

Cant wait to get to know you all.
Thanks for the invite pauletta,

Carolyn

Thumbnail by Carolyn_Cropper

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5766493

Welcome, Carolyn! I'm another gardener who is a "Foodie", LOL. (Not talented enough to sell fancy cakes or write cookbooks, though.)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5766563

Ric...you are too funny...lol!! Now wouldn't that be cool...a short knee and a long knee???? :))
Chele...hooray for the girls!!! Wow! You were sure up early!
Carolyn...WELCOME!!! I used to do wedding cakes ...yrs and yrs ago!! Don't think I could do it now though! Your garden looks great in the picture...and so do you!
Well..not much sleep last night...so think I will be staying home and napping today a bit. Dave wants to get the rest of the mulch off the driveway. He can work out in that cold if he wants to...NOT ME!! Tonight we are going to a church Thanksgiving supper in town. It is always really good. We missed the one in another small town close to us, because I would have had to go down a bunch of steps to the basement...and couldn't do it at the time. There are steps here too...but not as many...and not as steep either. They also have an elevator if needed.
Kimberley...I must have missed it...what is that machine for?? Looks pretty nifty!
Lana...sorry you didn't get to go to your show...what a bummer!
Well...I hope you all have a wonderful day.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5766700

Good afternoon, almost said morning, but a glace at the clock caught my fingers in mid typing.

Went to an estate auction this morning, which had an entertainment center, and a computer desk in the list of items to be auction, and didn't even stay for the start of the auction. A bunch of junk, imho, so shot the morning, and with the cool brisk breeze blowing, it will be an inside afternoon, doing what , I don't know.

Welcome carolyn, I think there is another DG person from lewisburg, name is not coming to me right now. That is the sometimers kicking in!! Hope that you are brave enough to stay around, cause sometimes we are a nutty bunch, but have a lot of fun.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5766808

Hi Carolyn !! and welcome . I also bake at home as a job. Well next year. Just still experimenting with recipes . I don't do the wedding cakes but i do special occasion cakes . THis week is pumpkin pies. So far no has has died .? lollll
Bonnie bummer on the auction. That is a waste.
Darius good to know on the ginger, garden_mermaid told me it helps keep a body warm also. :) good to know on the other stuff. I was just logging on to google ginger tea benifits and thought to myself... " Sue i bet darius has some info on this subject " and low and behold you did . LOL great minds think alike IMHO :) *wink*
well got outside and spent a bout an hr getting some junk in bags and ready to go to the dump.
thats was about it. i had my cartharts on too. IM a wimp in the cold.
Chelle yes Dh is a happy camper iwth his new toys LOLLLLL sheesh :)
take care
stick around Carolyn we are a funny bunch , watch out for Ric *wink* :)
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5767137

Welcome, Carolyn! It sounds like you'll fit right in here. Ditto regarding Ric. *Chuckles*

Marcy, the Cricut is kind of like a printer, only it cuts. There are cartridges you buy for it that contain fonts for it to cut out. They're very expensive, though. I found a third-party software application that will let me cut out anything I want, provided I jump through a few geeky hoops of my own first. There are people who share the cuttable files they've created, though, so I don't have to do everything from scratch. It'll save me a bundle on the cartridges since I can cut anything.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5767259

Sue- It is a great job to have, at least until you are covered in orders and cant get them all done! I used to bake regular pies, cakes, and chocolates for people but in my little kitchen I did not have the time or counter space to keep up. Once I even had my mother making orders to help out. Now I just do big ticket items that pay more. I miss the chaos though.

Gardenwife- I also scrapbook and that picture of the cricut made me druel! I want one of those sooooo BAD! After you play with it for a while let me know if it was really worth the money okay?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Oh, I also dabble in herbal medicines and know that ginger tea will help a sluggish metabolism and has also been used as a blood thinner at times. It is also used as a gargle for sores in the mouth and throat.
I never could use it for a sore throat due to it being so hot and spicy. My mother swears by it though and eats it crystalized. :(

Defoecat- that other strange person from Lewisburg ky is my mother! lol She is the reason i'm here on this site. It was a birthday present for me this year. I think she goes by MamawK.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5767332

No, there is someone else, a daylily person. Yikes, still can't think of the name, I'll go look in the extras and see if anything jogs my memory.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5767346

bluegrassmom, lives in Quality, but seems like she is closer to Lewisburg. Her name is Teresa Barrows. Am I even in the same county?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5767369

This is too good...Your last name is Cropper? And you crop? I love it. :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5767373

Just in the next county over there is a little town called Cropper.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5767401

LOL hey that is good one GW. I didn't catch that until you said something. Love it Carolyn a cropper yeah. I scrap too but am in a stand still since we have moved and its all in storage . Uhg.
Ok i got pies in the oven , wish me luck.
Carolyn can i ask you this question. I use clear jell for my pies . Today i did my usual recipe well the filling its still had that faint taste of raw starch in it. You think it will bake out ? I boiled it as usual but i think it could have gone 30 more seconds ugh i hate that . LOL
I did a coconut struedel topping on these too. I hope ti works , we ain't got no dogs to feed them too if they don't turn out LOL well i guess the racoons might eat them LOLLLLL
thanks for any help you can give . I hope you don't mind if i pick your brain I would love to do wedding cakes but my ADD won't let me LOLLLLL that basket weave is to much for my attention span LOLLLLL i admire people who can do that . :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5767545

Hi, Everyone!

Welcome, Carolyn! Love the picture!

Bonnie, way to go on the memory...bluegrassmom does have Lewisburg listed as her hometown. Finally got my leafcastings done...all 14 of them. Just about every one had at least one leaf point crack clear through. I knew the dog stepping on a few would cause some problems, but sure didn't think a chicken was heavy enough to crack some, too. Have to see how they are next spring. May have lots of new gravel for the driveway. LOL!

Sue, you are too funny about your baking! So, are you just experimenting with recipes now, to decide what your specialties will be?

Been lurking a bit the last few days, but wasn't feeling very talkative. Been fighting a cold or something, probably just due to the weather changes. Ear aches, sore throat, headache, sniffles, yuck! Still been getting out for short times to work on outdoor projects. I don't think we'll ever get everything done that we want to.

Badseed, congratulations on the boy! Bet DH is extremely happy! My ultrasound on 3rd son wasn't as informative and I was told to expect a girl. After delivery, I was told I left the baby in the oven too long (3 weeks over-due) and the baby grew a tail.

Marcy, I'm with you about the cold. My favorite temperatures are in the 60's!

Dusty, how ya doing? Bet you are looking forward to retirement.

Lana, sorry you didn't get to show this weekend.

GW, COOL machine!

Darius, thanks for the links on the ginger. I'll have to look for it next time I go to town. Knew I should have bought some when Sunny and I went to Earthfare, but didn't know what I'd do with it at the time. Just remembered that there was something important about having it at home. LOL!

Hello to everyone else I didn't mention. Think of you all often and hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5768224

About the pie- generally it will cook out if the pie is to bake for 30 minutes or more. What type of fruit are you using? fresh, frozen? It all makes a difference.

I always thought my name fit me to a T. I scrap as often as the hubby and the 3yr old will allow, which really is not near as often as I would like. Most times I wait until I get sick and my mom takes the kiddos to her house. This past spring I was battling cancer and mom had them for weeks at a time. I got a lot done then. Have any of you ever done quilling? i'm just now getting into that. It is really neat, but very tedious work.

I also paint pictures in acrylic and oils, occasionally watercolor but I have not been able to wet my brush since little Olivia was born in 05. I miss that but it takes too much time at once to work on.

Quality is just right down the road from me. If she ever goes to town she would have to drive right past my house. I am horrible with names but I pretty much know everyone in this town,...(which isnt always a good thing) I was a member of the city council for a couple terms and made a lot of friends, though some are not so friendly now lol. Politics will ruin friendships quickly! That is the worst thing about small towns, everyone knows your business and talks about it freely in checkout lines lol.

Speaking of names here, ya'll call eachother by names other than your screen name...Who is who so I can relate to the posts? That is if you dont mind me asking.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5768291

Thanks Carolyn :) I m Sue . I wasn't so creative on my username either. LOL actually i was so computer challenged that i didn't even know what a username was LOLLLLLl good to know on the pie. I used fresh apples . It did bake out . I think they came out good. I have never done the quilling thing. I love to paper piece myself. Old school . :) not very fashionalbe but i enjoy it.
msrobin yes i m experimenting this year . I will sell at Farmers markets . I hope you start to feel better soon. Wow you went to Eathfare oh that must have been fun.
Not a good night for me. I did have a good talk with my friend in Idaho. We don't get to talk to much and we got to chat for an hr. !
well its chilly in our house , gonna get some ginger tea. :) in my body.
good night ,sleep tight.
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5768526

I haven't done quilling, but I do a lot of detail work on my pages, "fussy cutting" as I heard someone describe it once. My mom is a cancer survivor. It makes you thankful for a lot, doesn't it?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5768572

Welcome Carolyn!
I go by Ric here...
(many other unprintable names HAVE been used by my friends here in private..lol!)
My Partner is Robyn so we usually go by RnR as a couple.

There are actually 3 other subscribing members in Lewisburg.
bluegrassmom, KY_IRIS_GAL and Mamaw_K
So you may just have a Dave's Neighbor... DMail them and see...

Today was actually a beautiful day for working outdoors!
Cool but fairly calm. Perfect for starting the trim work.
Because of the cedar shingles we had to 'thicken' the trim to get a proper look.
So in the first shot it looks like we're going backwards... it's the 1/2" OSB sub-trim.

Ric

This message was edited Nov 8, 2008 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5768579

Carolyn, I am Bonnie. I have just started working in stained glass, and also do mosaic and glass etching. I am in the process of setting up an office/craft room in a spare bedroom. When it is warm, I have a garden shed where I do lots of work, but no electricity, and therefore no heat, so needed a place to work this winter. Crafts in the winter and gardening in the summer.

We have 29 acres, and DH raises a big veggie garden, and I can or freeze everything that is grown there. I am the flower gardener, and have just made a memory iris garden, in memory of a good friend who passed last June. Can't wait to see it this coming spring. I interplanted it with crocus and hyacinth, daffodils, scilia and some other spring bulbs. I also plan to sprinkle some poppy seeds there this winter, so I will have something blooming all the time.

Just finished the church bulletins and printed them, and then I found another couple of sheets of cemetery data that I added to the data base. I probably won't get to work on it much this week, as we are leaving for Gatlinburg on Tuesday for our annual get away, shopping trip.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5768585

Hey, Ric, you need to rake your leaves!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5768587

Here's the window trim in place and ready for paint.
The piece over the drip cap will be added last.
First we have to finish the wall trim and rafter box.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5768596

LOL!
We don't rake leaves... we bring them in.
By December the whole yard will be 24" deep in leaves.

Robyn added some metal we had left over from the Garage roof to the 'Bay'.
I have to tighten it up yet and then she'll be painting it.

She also replaced all the excavated dirt from the foundation pour and redesigned the flower bed.
Hopefully all those Hosta we've been tramping on for the last few weeks will return.

Ric

This message was edited Nov 8, 2008 9:41 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5768603

Here's our neighbor Jon on his project saying Hi!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5768865

Ric it sounds like your quite the handyman! I could use you around here this spring. I plan on tearing out my entire bathroom to the studs and reworking it. My house has a leaky basement which has bred mold all through my walls. I am unfortunately extremely allergic to mold. I was told by my doctor to move out of the house or just suffer until I die but that is just not an option for us. I would love to sell it but nobody wants to live here so we are just taking it one room at a time for now. The bathroom is the worst due to all the moisture from the shower. So come this tax time the demo will begin.
I watch that show extreme makeover all the time and I wish they would come to my house lol.

Bonnie I wish I knew how to do stained glass. It looks so beautiful! I did etch a mirror once in highschool art class but that doesnt even compare to what you do.

GW- Having cancer is extremely humbling for sure. I battled with depression a lot and had a lot of guilt over the effect it had on my family but every day I wake up now I am thankful. I am currently waiting on test results to find out if I now have breast cancer or not. I should know next week for sure.
I do not have a functioning immune system so dealing with this is very tricky for me. I had to basically lie to a surgeon to get rid of my cervical and uterine cancer. Nobody wants to do surgery on someone without an immune system and chemo was not an option either. there are so many complications afterwards and they are worried about lawsuits. So I went to a doctor I didnt know and was lucky that he didnt ask too many questions. I had a hysterectomy a week later and come out of it pretty good. I did have pneumonia afterwards but I pushed through it. The doctor was pretty ticked off when the pathology report come back with cancer all over it lol. But when I asked him if he would have done the surgery had he known the truth he said no. If I had not had it done I would not be here today, I told him it was a choice I just had to make. Nobody wants to just lay around and die without a fight!
So I totally understand what your mother went through. I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy, not even my x hubby lol.

Sue i'm so glad your pies come out well. makes me want to bake! I think tomorrow I will make a key lime NY style cheesecake. Yummmm!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5769233

Hello Carolyn!
I'm headed to your house tomorrow!! 2 of my favorites key lime and cheesecake. Welcome to our little nut house!
By the way I'm George the crazy plant/animal guy.
I didn't have cancer, but had a heart attack and open heart surgery(at 40). Really makes you see life differently. I play like a kid and don't have to tolerate mean people no more. Thank god my SO never tells me no about any of my new animals or plants. I get a lot of eye rolling and sometimes I do have to sneak and hide something for a day or 2 so he does not see it. Then you catch them gone and plant or add to animals and act like they were there the whole time. LOL
Welcome to the ORV!!!
George
I have had these for 3 weeks and he just noticed them today.
My mandarin ducks

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
6:54 AM

Post #5769254

msrobin wrote:
I knew the dog stepping on a few would cause some problems, but sure didn't think a chicken was heavy enough to crack some, too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I guess it depends on how much the chicken weighs, hm? ;-0

Pat
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #5769259

Good Morning already all...I got back from MI at 11:15pm...Still wound for sound, so here I am... LOL

Congrats to the Team Michele...Good Luck on a win today!!

Beautiful drive up...fighting a massive crosswind on the drivers side and the reverse on the way back ...geeesh...Misted rain from northern IN on up the road into MI...It spit snow while we were in Kalamazoo, but quit when we headed back south towards Nottawa...The little Kazoo house is now out and off the list...The Listing agent lied to my agent (both from the same office)...She told my agent she had talked to the seller, and they had agreed on a monthy rent, but apparently all she did was tell the seller that we would be there at 2pm... According to the seller, who showed up minus her listing agent, she never discussed the rental rate with her...My agent was floored when the girl told us the rate, as was I...
It was alot more than we are paying here, so I told her thank you but I could not afford that especially as I was retiring, and would have no job to support that rate...The Seller lives in East Lansing, and was no more amused than I was to have made that drive expecting a signed lease, and cash exchanged for the deposit...She even told my agent that the seller had agreed to allow me to split the deposit in 2 payments...NOT SO!!! I think I will be complaining to the Board of Realtors...

We headed back to Sons house, and stopped to visit an Amish friend, and Son told him what had just hapened...He may have a house for us that is still English...It was just bought by the father of a 22 yr old boy who was married to a girl from the KY Amish community...The boy and the Father are from Wisconsin community, but have family ties to the Nottawa community...The boy and his wife have 3 small children, and they were given this house by the father...They have 1 year to make it Amish, which is to remove the A/C unit, convert the heat and hot water to propane, wood and deisel, and remove the electricity, and build a shed for the phone so it is outside the house...The Community built them a huge Barn with 6 horse stalls, an area for the family buggy and the buckboard, and a huge room for Sunday Meeting in the winter or rain, and a loft that will easily hold 1000 bales of hay...There was also a stall for the milk cow...

Long story short...The Youngins get a certain time period to taste the English ways, and then they have to make the decision to join the Church, or leave the community...The boy apparently tasted a bit more than he needed to and got involved in the drugs...Supposedly he decided to join the Church, get a bride and go on with his life, but the lure back got to him and he was selling...
The wife called the boys father in secrecy one Sunday after meeting at the neighbors, and told him what was going on...At great inconvenience, the father showed up on the doorstep from Wisconsin and caught the boy in English clothes, and the house was searched by the county sheriff...He was smart enough to have them out in the barn and there was enough there to supply the town of Nottawa for a year...The Father Shunned him with the local Churches Elder, and the sheriff took the drugs, and the Father took the boy back to Wisconsin, and Shunned him in front of the home Church...He is now an outcast...
The ladies from the community came and got the wife and the babies and packed up their clothing and the Elder had my son drive, and the Elder and ladies escorted her home to KY...The Ladies will come and pack up the rest of her belongings, and the Elder will rent a Budget truck for my son to drive to KY...He drives them around in his van alot, and has been very close in the Amish Community...

Since the property has not been converted to Amish yet, the Senior Elder contacted the boys father to see if Jim and I can have it to rent through the winter or longer if we want it, and now we wait and see since they will do no business after sundown Saturday...We may be able to buy it from them because of the drugs...No Amish will be permitted to live there now, and if we can buy it, it would be on Land Contract only as they will not deal with the banks or mortgage or title companies...They go to the owner and pay cash money for what they buy...They have trusted English handle the paperwork for deeds, titles etc...
It is a lovely home, and I feel so bad for the poor girl..Here she thought she was going to die of old age in that house, and barely lived 5 months in it...The horses and milk cow were taken to the Senior Elders farm but the buggy is in the barn...I told Elder that the buggy goes with the house, and I will paint it white so the community knows it's me going down the road, and the Elder just cracked up...He is a funny old man with a full silver beard down to the middle of his chest and a bald head...I got to thinking, and in the 57 yrs I have dealt with those Amish, I have never seen one of the men without his hat on...Blew me away !!! LOL

Side note for Robi JO...this land is just off M-66 just north of Sturgis... Close enough to Krogers and Wally World for this English girl...LOL
I got Gas there for $1.89 tonight... which was great.. as that is what I paid in Dayton on my way home Friday night...

Okay... I am finally off to my bed...Hopefully to sleep past 3:30 like Sat morning...
Hopefully you all will have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Welcome to the tribe Cropper...and ~~~~~~~~~~~ at alll

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #5769277

Nice to meet you George! I have been in your town many many times. Actually my 3rd husband was from there and his parents are still there. Not very nice people, but they know everyone in the town it seems so i'm sure you probably know them as well. They are down round eden hollow. Know where that is?

I too have a huge love of animals, especially reptiles and dogs. My hubby wont let me have even one though! I tell him all the time that I bet my next hubby would buy me a puppy lol. He knows i'm joking, but looking at my track record ya never can tell! Not many men can deal with a sickly wife, for some reason the neighbor ladies always seem to take pitty on them and ...well you can imagine i'm sure. So I got married this time and bought a house with ugly old men on both sides of me HA HA!
I think my plan will work. :)

Anyhow, What kinds of animals do you have?
Your ducks are beautiful btw, and great job hiding them for 3 weeks. I wonder if I got me a puppy how long I could get away with it? lol

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
7:28 AM

Post #5769283

Thanks Dusty! That is quite a story there you told. We have plenty Ammish here around town. Nice people, strange ways, but very nice. We actually have one that is a natural healer that I visit from time to time for herbal medicines. Hope the house works out for you.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:48 AM

Post #5769364

Good morning! Here we go again! We are off to game 15 of the season for this kid. Hmm, plus 2 practices a week since August and several scrimmages...too bad she isn't getting paid. LOL If this was professional, it would have to be a million dollar season. LOL

Thanks for the congrats and well wishes! There was an article in yesterdays paper. I'll have to see if I can link to it.

Unfortunately the basketball game did not go as well. Most of you remember, we were down to a team of 6 by mid season last year (you need 5 to play). This year we lost 2 and picked up four new ones-that have never played before. They got creamed yesterday. I think they will get educated at today's practice. So glad it's not me. That coach (my friend LOL) will be running them ragged. They played the toughest and one of the best teams in the area but they are in trouble for not listening.

Carolyn, it is very nice to meet you! I'm enjoying reading about you. I'm hoping to catch up to you soon for a proper hello. Somewhere you might have caught that I have six daughters and just found out my "bun in the oven" is a boy. Oh me oh my!

Did someone say daylilies??

My turn for the shower! We have to leave in half an hour.

You all have a great day!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008

Post #5769589

Hi Carolyn, good to meet ya! Plants, food, and creativity...you fit in great here! I'm Neal, an admitted flower fiend, and I love to cook too. My sister is a retired pastry chef, and I grew up appreciating beautiful food. I can make good stuff with good presentation, but haven't mastered real cake decorating. A shell design edge that doesn't go lopsided is a challenge for me, but I'm real good with garnishing, LOL. Congrats on beating cancer, you have a great attitude, a huge part of healing. Welcome!

I've used ginger for nausea for years, works like a charm. Even has made a great motion sickness preventative without getting drowsy. Ginger ale used to be good for nausea, when it had real ginger in it, LOL.

I've got everyone's poppy seeds ready to go in the mail tomorrow :-)

An idea hit me yesterday that I'm most excited about. Most of y'all know about the backhoe work we had done. Part of the project was creating a leach field, where tons of soil had to be brought in from where the land owner was digging a pond. So at the bottom of the hill, where the driveway starts, is this huge area of fresh tilled top soil. He's planning on sowing grass seed there, but, when life hands you lemons...I'm thinking I need to sow the whole thing in wildflowers! They can't use it for hay anymore, because the heavy tractor could collapse the lines eventually. And we sure aint gonna mow all the way down there! I keep envisioning what a cheery hello that would be upon entering the driveway :-)

Have a great day everybody!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5769803

Dusty - what a time you have had finding a place to live. But, I think it will all work out for you for the best. I wish I had been able to bring a lot more clothing and so forth to you for your Veteran ladies - I hope to finally gather the stuff up and give it to someone - we have a Goodwill here and will probably drop off there when I do get it together. I was on a nasty medication a few years ago when all this mess started and I gained 60 lbs. I have kept all these clothes thinking I will wear them again - and it's time face the fact that I won't and to pass them on to someone who can use them.

Michelle - congrats on the "boy" news! Did you make it to the Midwest Hybridizers? Did you Laura? I wanted to go, but it's just to long a day for me anymore.

Kimberley - Where is that Thai place you talked about? Is that anything like eating traditional Chinese food? I have never eaten Thai that I know of, but it sounds interesting. Always looking for a good place to eat around here.

Carolyn - welcome! You will get the hang of everyone's name - it just takes a bit of hanging out in here. I don't post often, so some don't know my name well. Do you know about "roundups"? We try to get together spring and fall to swap plants, visit and have a pot luck. Great group here! Hope your test results are negative next week. The wait must be awful. Many of us have health challenges here. I have a rare and painful nerve disease that keeps me from doing much gardening anymore. You mentioned painting. I have been thinking of taking painting up again. I used to be pretty good with watercolors and oil - mostly landscapes. I especially liked painting old barns. I've been into photography but it's hard for me to hold a camera for long - so that can be a bit limiting. I've never been into scrapbooking, or needle arts. My elderly Mom lives with me, and she has been into crewl (sp?), needlepoint, knitting etc. but, arthritis has kept her from doing that in the last few years. I am a "cat" person - I have a handicapped cat inside that I adore, and an old Australian Shepherd. Then, three half tame outdoor cats. I have 17 acres out in the country that is getting increasing overgrown because I am physically unable to do much anymore with it. But, I love living here and am dragging my feet as long as I can about moving into a condo.

Ric- that is quite a project you have been doing. Is it a complete house remodel? It seems once you get one thing done your tearing into something else?

George, it's good to see you post!

I actually was able to sleep a bit last night (yeah!!! ) Am going to tackle trying to make a pumpkin roll today. I have never made a "roll"... LOL. Mom wants one and she's not feeling up to it. She has a cold - which she gets maybe once every 20 years. So I went to the store yesterday and got a chicken to make some chicken and dumplings today. She loves that. Then, the leftover we will have over biscuits tomorrow.

waving to everyone!

Jules
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5770059

We are back home! Yippee, we won again. These girls are getting so tired! It was 38 degrees when they played this morning. Today we only won 3-2 but we'll take it! LOL

Jules, I didn't make it to either daylily function. The Midwest Hybridizer's meeting was going to be an all day thing from what Bob said. I was just too pooped by the time we got home. The GCDHS banquet was also last night. It started at 7:00 and we were laying in bed by 8:30. I figured if I went, I'd never make it out of bed at 5am again today.

It is SO nap time!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5770188

Chele
the Midwest Hybridizer is a "must go to" if you can. Both spring and fall are great meetings. I remember when it was just 8 or 10 people. It has grown into quite an event. It just won't be the same without Shirley.

Chicken's on stewing and I am trying to grasp putting powdered sugar on a towel that I am to flop a hot cake onto, roll it up and let it cool. I tell myself, my Mom's not a great cook, and she has made this thing before... get on with it! Somehow I see myself flopping a hot cake onto the floor and Pebbles having fun gulping down hunks of hot cake...

LOL! Guess I am not as adventurous as I once was in the kitchen! Scared of a pumpkin roll!

(slinks back to kitchen to face the Kitchenaid and that dreaded sugar covered towel...)

Jules
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5770221

Jules, you're cracking me up!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5770225

Good Morning all...33* here this morning, and a stiff wind from the WSW coming across that corn field...

Congrats to the girls again Michele...They should be very proud of that record...

Juli...Not to worry my dear...Sue gave me 2 big bags for them, and they were delighted...I also got 3 bags from one of my lady patients last week after work...More people are stepping up to the plate for them, so they will be in good hands when I leave...Buck up there girl!!! That towel can't be all that bad!!! LOL

Neal...A wildflower field sounds like just the thing!!! I have some seeds I will send to you for the cause...There is a leach field there behind the Amish house where the girl had her garden, and it was huge...They installed a windmill there behind the house that my son moved in with a boom truck for them...It pumps water up from the pond to the garden and the barn...My son said her garden grew like crazy...I know whenever I have been on a septic system, the grass was always thicker and greener over the leach field... ;-))

If we are blessed to get that house, I would likely be boarding horses there...Quite a need for it, and it is good income...My son has my sulky hanging in his barn...I haven't seen that thing in 15 yrs...I couldn't believe he still had it...LOL

I am off to the laundry and kitchen cleaning...Gotta keep busy or I will go batty waiting on a phone call... LOL Have a good day y'all...

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5770238

Jules- No I have no idea what a round-up is but it sounds very interesting.
I know that in my younger years when I used to chat a lot on the internet we had a group of about 200 from all around ky that would meet a couple times a year and party till we dropped. I grew out of that a long time ago but I do love meeting people in person. It is amazing how attached to people you get just from typing on the computer, and then it is so wonderful to actually see them in person.

I understand what you mean about not being able to get out and do what you want to do. It is very frustrating at times. On most days I know that I have very limited energy and will only be good for one good spurt of it before i'm down on the couch again to rest. I choose to get outside for an hour or so and dig around in the dirt with the kids instead of mopping floors and dusting. My hubby just hates that! But he has never been very sick before and has no idea how depressing it can be not being able to wake up with energy and do whatever you want all day. I pick and choose my battles and as far as i'm concerned the dishes will be there when I get to them lol. I would rather enjoy that hour and the peace and satisfaction it brings, if only for a little while.
You should get your brushes wet again! Quiet self expression is a wonderful thing and even if your not feeling well it is something that you dabble with for a bit and then set aside and pick it back up later,...that is if you dont have a toddler around lol.

Neal, It is great to meet you as well. I have found this place to be very friendly. I have not spent this much time on the computer in years! I do tend to babble alot it seems, so just overlook most of my posts lol.
I think it is wonderful that you grew up around someone who could cook. Oddly I didnt have much interest in cooking when i was a kid. I was 90lbs soaking wet and really didnt eat much so I guess that is why. I wish I would have had someone around to teach me pastry arts at that age. Ya never know, I might actually be someone today if I had.

Badseed, OMG 6? wow! now I have heard of trying until you get a boy, but geez! I had to stop at 3. I cannot even imagine having that much estrogen under one roof!! You poor, poor man lol. I hope you have a male dog to keep you company. No seriously, Huge Congrats! I always wanted a boy. I heard that they were so much easier than girls to raise. But as all parents, I would not trade mine for anything. I do have one that acts like a boy so I guess that is good enough.
Honestly though, the makeup and hairspray alone would take a second job!

I am very happy to have met you all here. I enjoy getting to know you all and if you can stand my somewhat lopsided sense of humor I may just stick around for a while. If I have learned anything through my battles it is not to take things so seriously, Humor can be found in almost every situation. My doctors over the years have taught me that. One refers to me as the human milk cow, but that is a story for another day lol.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5770279

Lol Jules, push your hair back...tighten your apron strings...and hold those oven mitts high! Get in there and show that roll who is boss!
Yes! You will dust, spread, roll, and CONQUER!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5770327

Good Morning, Gang... Wow, y'all have been busy! Great story, Dusty. Great idea on wildflowers, Neal. Looking good, Ric/Robyn. Congrats on the girls' win, Chele. Rats... now I've already forgotten who else did what... sigh.

I had a wonderful day yesterday! I was sick and tired of myself for being so crabby about my family in this house, so I ran away. I drove up to Blacksburg, a heavily college-saturated area. Many of you know I like to cook, and I found a fantastic (for this area) international food store. I couldn't read most of the labels but managed to buy a few things I could recognize or were in English. They had 2 full bushels of very fresh, fat ginger roots, so I bought a handful. I'll crystallize some, and use the rest for hot tea. Found some rice wrappers for spring rolls but forgot to get some mung beans to sprout. I haven't made spring rolls in a long time! I used to make up a batch of wontons and spring rolls to freeze. Great when you need a small pick-me-up or a quick appetizer.

Gotta run... Have a great Day!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5770396

Darius, How do you crystalize your ginger? Does it turn out like the store bought kind?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5770438

Yes, like store-bought but cheaper and better. I think I have instructions in a Word file... I'll look for it and dmail it to you...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5770475

Carolyn, I seem to have several recipes for making crystallized ginger, and photos from the last batch. If you'd dmail me your regular email address, I can send them all to you.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5770503

Well, the kitchen looks like it snowed powdered sugar, but the cake is cooling in it's towel wrap up! I refuse to look in the mirror to see how much sugar I am wearing - and wouldn't you know I have on a dark blue shirt. Talk about bad planning! I should put a note right on the recipe that says "wear white shirt while making"

Something does not seem right about rolling a hot cake up to cool. It seems like it would get soft and mushy inside, since the steam cannot escape. Jelly rolls use the same method, but for some reason, this just seems "wrong" to me. I did make sure that I left the ends open so the steam could get out there.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5770671

Ohhhhh Juli... What a mental picture I have right now... ROFLLLLLLLL
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5770944

Extra moisture in a roll cake is actually a good thing. It should insure that when you unroll it and add the filling that it doesn't crack and crumble.
Oh I just love a good pumpkin roll!

My cheesecake got put on hold today. The kids are running wildly through the house like they are hopped up on coffee or something! I decided that today was just not the day for 4 hours of baking to end up in ruins.

As for your wardrobe... well my apron is my best friend in the kitchen. If I dont wear it I always end up with white handprints all over my hips! It seems I always end up with flour on my face and in my hair for some reason. My father always makes fun of me for it. A proper chef school would have a field day with me for sure. I think i'm the messiest cook I know.

I did manage to make some chocolate truffles for the hubby though,
I have been working on taking pictures of food for my book to go along with the recipes.

I am wondering if I should shoot the truffles with a different color background instead of the white.
What do yall think?

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5770955

I think leave it alone... It puts the focus on that DeeeeVine Brown stuff!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
8:46 PM

Post #5771003

If I thought I could taste those truffles, I'd be licking the screen! Don't tease a pregnant lady with chocolate! You are so mean! :)

Jules, I was sorry to miss both daylily functions. GCDHS is my local club and Midwest has me on the mailing list. I miss so many functions so I can do things with/for my kids. Now that the youngest is 4.5, I was finding some me time but now I get to start over. LOL They are all junior AHS members (courtesy of Region 2) and love going to the functions. My girls (and me) absolutely love Tom and Doug and Bob. I saw my youngest give Shirley a really precious hug just before she passed on. We can always count on Dan and JR to rib the girls and make them feel welcome. There are far too many to mention. The Ohio daylily people are such a wonderful group of souls. We've gone to the Northern Mecca twice. They've been very good to us. They tell me often, to enjoy the time with the kids as it will go too fast. My oldest is already 15. Zoooooooooom!

The article about the girls soccer team had full names on it but didn't have a lot of information so I thought I'd just show you all the "fun" picture. They did this at the coaches house the night of their soccer party, wearing the hoodies that he printed and the hats he embroidered for them. What a riot! Don't they look mean?!?!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5771086

(( cowering beneath the screen in utter shame and disbelief ))

Badseed, I just have to tell you that, um...? Yes!... That little blurb earlier about too much estrogen,...well I was just joking there... I knew you were female the Whole time...

lol. sorry dear, we will just pretend that I wrote that to your husband, ok?

I personally cannot stand chocolate! I know that is strange for a woman, but my hubby craves it enough for both of us. I think our roles are reversed hormone wise...he is moody and emotional, craving everything in sight and i'm the laid back logical mind who rules the kingdom...(or so I tell myself) lol

I cook, he eats, it works!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5771098

ROTFLOL I kind of thought you thought I was Dad and not Mom. chuckle I wasn't going to say anything. Did you know you can click on someone's name and (most of the time) find a picture of them?

I so wish I could swear of chocolate (and cheese, mayonnaise, salad dressing, peanut butter...). Guess I'll enjoy being a BIG baby machine instead. LOL
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5771166

Ya well, BUSTED!

and no I did not know you could click on people. Perhaps I should investigate this feature before I open my mouth again lol. Thanks for the tip!

As for being a baby machine...UGH! I always gained huge amounts of weight and had little bitty babies! my body just did not like being pregnant,...or perhaps it liked it too much, i'm not sure.
With my first one I went from 98lbs to 186! With olivia I gained nearly 80lbs and she was born 2 months premature! She still weighed 5.6lbs though. Its been nearly 3 years now and I have only lost 30 of that!

Of course my sister n law is a true baby making machine. She has had 3 so far and only gained like 20lbs, had 8lb kids and fit back into her jeans 2 weeks later!! Oh she makes me sick! lucky little twig lol.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5771182

Carolyn, I agree with Dusty, the pic is perfect as is. I'm slobbering now..thanks a lot! LOL

For me, chocolate is one of the major food groups!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5771216

I wish I liked it.
It kinda makes me feel...not female sometimes lol

now you give me anything peanut butter or strawberry and i'm all over it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #5771230

That's a very lovely photo, Carolyn. If not for the band on the dish, I wouldn't find it as inviting. I generally find the stark white background used when shooting chocolates does not make me want them, whereas a light mocha color does. Mind you, I am NOT a photographer. I sometimes buy photos from istockphoto.com for an article when I don't have one myself, and I'm beginning to notice what colors affect my taste buds in a photo.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5771243

I plan on this being a cover page for the candy section of the book. the background will be a picture of molten chocolate with this photo on top. I kinda want the truffles to pop off the page in contrast to the background. Think that would help?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5771247

You are in good company Carolyn, I don't particularly care for chocolate either, and I am female. I like the salty stuff, give me a bag of chips any time.

Just discovered one of the freezers has not been working. Nothing ruined, we have been having some problems with plug ins, and evidently this one has a problem too. So calling an electrician tomorrow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5771266

Carolyn, why not go here and look at a bunch of photos, and see what "pops" for you?
http://tinyurl.com/6rglpk
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5771278

Y'all just don't get it, its strawberries or peanut butter WITH chocolate, and chips to cleanse the palate, LOL. I'm kinda serious about my chocolate, can ya tell?

Bonnie, good thing you discovered the freezer wasn't working. My dad was always more of a fisherman than a hunter, but once he did bring home a deer. The cat unplugged the freezer and it was all lost. Dad stuck to fishing after that, LOL (although I think he discovered he was a little too sensitive for killing warm blooded creatures).

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5771319

I'm also not a chocolate fan. I will eat it, more lately than in many years, but I don't crave it.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5771337

Ok, I know I'm a "girlie boy", but did I get y'alls estrogen? LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5771387

ROTFLOL Neal, you have such a way with words!

Peanut butter and chocolate have to be the perfect pair! Strawberries and chocolate, yum yum!!

My mother always like Hershey bars with plain chips. I have a thing for chocolate covered nuts or pretzels.

Did I mention I like chocolate???

I love to cook but the closest I ever came to professional, was restaurant work. With six kids, none having the same palate, cooking can be a burden. You know, you can't make them all happy!

I thought I'd share some more of the barrettes I've been making. They are fun and easy and any combo works-from school colors to holidays to matching a favorite outfit.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5771390

This one shows the tails, with and without beads.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5771392

My teens love the beaded bobby pins for small touches of color and taming stray bangs.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5771394

My younger girls love the pony O's for their sports.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5771400

I just started playing with the ribbon candy design barrettes. If nothing else, the girls love having them and their friends and moms have many compliments. :)

Now I must go play "soup" kitchen. A quick easy dinner of soup and grilled cheese sounded good on this cool night. Of course I have to make two kinds of soup. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5771825

Wow you guys have been busy. Whew.
The chocolate pic is nice , i wonder if you used a gold dish ? it would bring out the color of the truffles more. ? or drapped a gold doily over the edge of the dish ? Just a thought. :) my two cents. :)
I worked at a chocolate factory and made truffles by the truck load. Ugh . I didn't eat chocolate for a whole year after when i quit.
My kids are acting like wild animals at this moment ugh.
Chelle wow on all the things your doing with all them games to go to. Those clips are so pretty. :) i love the beaded ones.
Geo i was getting worried about you . we haven't seen you lately. ? i was thinking of you all day . :)
Neal great idea on the wildflower area . !
darius with the ginger tea, do i just use a small chunk of ginger and simmer in a pot of water ? lucky score on the international market. I miss those. We had a great asian culture in CA oh just loved them noodle houses !!! and the mongolian BBQ . San Franciso had the best china town . The thai was the best ! spicy spicy and spicy .
well battery is low got to run
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5771847

Michele.. if you could do some in these colors, once I get moved, I could sell them for you like crazy... It must be in that order as it is in the order of the Nam Campaign ribbon...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5771869

I would say more, but I am frosted at the moment...Furious is more like it but I'll save it for later when I cool off...
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5771947

oh my darius what an awesome site! thanks. I see what you mean now.
You wanna talk about making your mouth water. after looking at those pics I almost wanna eat chocolate!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5772111

Well, the pumpkin roll turned out just fine. We will freeze most of it to have Thanksgiving weekend. I don't exactly know what happened with the powdered sugar... but it happened when I was dusting the cloth before putting the cake on it. I dropped the bag of sugar onto the counter and it was like a small explosion. Pebbles (the dog) always hangs around the kitchen when anything is going on, and she even had some on her back! The bag of sugar only dropped about 6 inches. Thankfully, it only had about half a cup left in the bag! Geez!

Mom had a huge "hankering" for things pumpkin. A can of pumpkin has just enough in to make a batch of old fashioned pumpkin cookies and a pumpkin roll. So she has plenty of pumpkin stuff to eat for a while. They are "ok" to me - but there are plenty of other desserts I like better. Cinnamon and I don't get along so every time I eat something with it, I pay for it later. :-( Chocolate treats me much better! Dark chocolate and coconut is my favorite combo...

I no longer have to be fearful of pumpkin rolls. Whew! Maybe I will tackle a Jelly Roll one of these days!

Chele - cute pic of the girls!

Carolyn - I may be wrong, but when I looked at your candy photo, I see what I think is a small chip or imperfection in the rim of the dish and also on the foot of the dish. Maybe you could turn the dish around and reshoot the shot? I do photo touch up as part of my job and it just jumped out at me... (I work for a printing company in computer graphics and do a lot of photo work on "product" shots, and have been trained to notice things like that. ) otherwise, I think it looks good enough to eat!

Jules
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5772148

Touch cold out today.
So we didn't break the wall to finish the little patch around the front door in the FPR.
But we did get the window trim done and a good start on the rafter box.
Hopefully it will be warm enough to get some primer on this week.
The caulk we put on yesterday afternoon still hadn't fully cured by this morning...
The Shingle pattern on the walls will be the same as on the eave in this shot.
A basic up/down pattern w/ a design thrown into the large blank area on the right.

We finally got all the 'tenders' indoors.
We've been doing the cover bit every few days so we finally took time to winterize.

Neal here you go...

Homemade Ginger Ale Recipe :

Ingredients
Ginger water
1 cup peeled, finely chopped ginger
2 cups water

Simple Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Club soda
Lime juice
Lime wedges

Method
1 Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add ginger. Reduce heat to medium low and let ginger sit in the simmering water for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Discard ginger pieces.

2 In a separate saucepan, make the Simple Syrup by dissolving 1 cup granulated sugar into 1 cup of boiling water. Set aside.

3 Make individual (tall) glasses of ginger ale by mixing 1/2 cup of ginger water with 1/3 cup of Simple Syrup and 1/2 cup of club soda. Add a few drops of fresh lime juice and a lime wedge to each glass.

Makes four servings.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5772170

Jules! LOL!
Try a PB & Jelly Roll... the kids LOVE them!

Carolyn I 'played' w/ your photo a bit.
For Book Art I'd suggest a bit deeper depth of field, so all the picture is in focus.
Also a touch less exposure... the beige background sounds good.
Great composition and WONDERFUL looking candies!
YUMMY!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5772455

Wow, I am out of my depth here, with the candy making, the shingling, the barrette making, I feel so untalented!! I just can't whip out my stained glass, and mosiacs and etchings, on a whim, oh, I forgot Jules pumpkin roll.

What a riot reading about the powedered sugar explosion!!

Ric, thanks for the ginger ale recipe, now I just have to find someplace that sells ginger. Where would I look, in a specialty store? The vet also recommends a ginger snap or two for a dog that tends to get car sick. A lot easier than trying to give meds for it. (you can deposit your money in my pay pal account for that tip)!!

Darius, you seem to have all the answers, or to be able to find all the answers, in addition to all of your other many talents. I think we should start an Ask Darius column here!!

I have made the most stupid error. We are planning a trip to Gatlinburg with my twin sister and her husband and I thought we were leaving on Tuesday. Well I called her tonight to see what time we needed to meet, on Tuesday, and she said, we are leaving in the morning. Oh, my gosh, you should have seen the clothes flying into the opened suitcase!! I think I have it all ready, but will double check again in the morning. Had to call my friend who will be taking care of Mr. B and tell her to be sure and stop and get him tomorrow after she gets off work. Poor baby would have been all alone. Don't know how I made that error, but glad I called her tonight. So will not be around for a couple of days. You all try not to swamp this thread, so it doesn't take me too long to get caught up!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
7:22 AM

Post #5772968

Oh, those truffles look soooo good! I like your photo's exposure, but I think it needs a little color. I'm thinking a red napkin placed beneath them so it drapes a little over the edge of the plate in a few spots.

Earlier today, I was thinking about possible names for a website. One that popped into my head for a Cricut-related crafting blog was JiminyCricut.com --- guess what. It was available. :) http://www.gardenwife.com/jiminy-cricut Please pardon my site's theme. I'm playing around with different themes and that's where I stopped today. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5773376

Whew! I'm with Bonnie...out of my league with you all! So much talent out there!

Neal, too funny!

Suzy-Homemaker, I'm not! I tasted a cream cheesed filled pumpkin roll a few weeks ago and loved it. Thought about trying to make it at home and then came to my senses...who am I kidding, thinking I could do that. LOL!

Carolyn, the Truffles look delicious! Love the photo and thought it looked really sophisticated. Would never have thought of any of the suggestions made for presentation. Ric's version of your picture has such a subtle difference, but a lot of impact!

GW, love the name of the blog!

So, I'm feeling...what's the word I'm looking for? Inadequate, maybe! LOL!

Yep, good to see so many checking in again! I second the motion for an "Ask Darius" forum!

Woke up to a very frosty morning! 23*, oh my, winter is really here!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5773451

27* here Robin...and we had a short flurry of the white stuff yesterday evening, but the sun is out now...

I'm off to the bank and grocery, and stop and rent a store room for some of the stuff we don't have to have right away, like the yard and workshop things...We can come back and get them later on...
I will be packing in earnest today for sure...

Have a good day everyone...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5773478

Now, y'all quit thinking I'm smarter than I really am before I get a swelled head. I just have a wide range of interests and retain lots of junk information while forgetting the stuff like names, birthdays, phone numbers... and what day to leave for vacation! (LOL @ Bonnie!)

Sue, I peel and dice fresh ginger and simmer several minutes, about a heaping tablespoon per cup of water. Start small, and increase to taste... sweeten with honey rather than sugar if you have it. Ginger peels best with the tip of a teaspoon; you just scrape it. Bonnie, you can get fresh ginger in most grocery stores (produce section) but an asian market will have cheaper and fresher ginger. I paid $1.99/pound Saturday in the international food store, and the natural foods store next door had organic ginger for $8.99/pound. I prefer organic foods, but not at that price!

Jules, try a pinch of cardamom in place of cinnamon... you might like it!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5773496

Bonnie! Don't be silly! You have many talents and knowledge of things that one could not pick up overnight or in years probably! I don't know how to do stained glass! Same for you msrobin! I know you have some secret talent that you have yet to share with us!

Before I had kids, I painted, sketched, sewed and did crafts. When I only had a couple of kids, I hand painted clothes and made wall stencils and such. By the time I had 3-4 kids, I was down to making some jewelry and sketching on and off. Now I barely do anything besides run kids to sports. LOL

It's been just recently that I became determined to do things I could possibly sell during the winter when the gardens are closed. I'm hoping to get back into gourds and ornamental corn and seeds that can be used for beading. I'd like to get back to some of the nature crafts I used to enjoy.

My kids found a bunch of my sketches, pastels and a whole plastic bin of paints and books and were thrilled. BUT, they are my kids. I guess I get to amaze them every now and then. And I have to nicely tell them I don't have time anymore. I know they are all going to grow up and bail out then I'll have nothing else to do. LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5774030

Hi everyone...and good morning!
Well...Bonnie...I hope you got away on your vacation...LOL! NEVER...would I forget that!!! Of course..that's because we seldom take vacations here!
Chele...I LOVE your hair barrettes and ribbons and beads! You do NICE work!
Hey Ric? What happened to the pics of my 'babies' anyway??????? Nice job on the house BTW! Tell Robyn I said Hi.
Well...just wanted to say hi. Nothing going on here...except I am off to therapy AGAIN! Can't get Dave to go with me now that I can drive..:((. But he is getting things put away outside...and covered up, etc...so that's a good thing.
I liked the name Kimberley!!
Well...hope you all have a good and productive day. Waving to all~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5774266

Marcy I have some shots I thought I posted them.
Can't access them from here but I'll get them up tonight.
They are doing fine... lots of leaf lose but that's to be expected.
Three blooms only on the Petunia... the Red Hibiscus has been blooming non-stop...

It was actually near 40 here this morning.
Breezy and cool now...

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5774294

Well, thank you, Chele! Yes, we all have talents of some sort, although I am more a "jill of all trades, master of none". LOL! Forgot to mention earlier that your barretts are so cute. I think Hobby Lobby has a couple of books on making all kinds, but of course, there's probably tons of directions on line, too. They are really popular with the youngin's!

Darius, if you aren't as smart as we all think you are, you do a mighty fine job of locating the info quickly!

Dusty, hope this all gets settled soon for you and you can get moved before winter really sets in.

Marcy, yeah on the feeling well enough to drive!

Up to a whopping 45*, so guess I'll get back to amending the garden and enjoying this sunshine. Forecast is for quite a few rainy days starting tomorrow.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5774526

Chele, no one could ever call you a grasshopper. You're an ant all the way, planning for winter. Those barrettes are neat. It makes me wish I had any hair to put up in one! ;)

I ran across this article while surfing this morning and, naturally, this thread came to mind. Enjoy!

Using Ginger to Stay Warm in the Winter: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/512385/using_ginger_to_stay_warm_in_the_winter.html?cat=68

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5774635

Carolyn and Neal: I forgot to tell you the leek seeds are not cleaned. Sorry... I thought they'd just fall out of the seed heads as they dried. They'll go out tomorrow.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5775137

No hurry, no problem :-) I just got all y'alls poppy seeds mailed today.

Dusty, thanks for the seed donation to my cause! It was so funny, the health inspector was here to do the final inspection and I told him about my plan. He said "Wow! that will be impressive. You might be on the cover of Septic News!" I said "you mean with a sash and a tiara?". Just the fact there is such a periodical as Septic News cracks me up!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5775174

I just lost a mouth full of popcorn! Neal, you are so not right!

Are you going to use "wild" wildflowers or a wild mix of what you have?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5775231

...breaking out of lurkdom to say, ROFL, Neal! Yeah, wow, there should be a copy of that magazine on every coffee table, huh? eeeew...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5775319

It would make great bathroom reading, though!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5775510

no problem darius, I can clean them. About how many seeds do you think will be in there though?

Thanks for playing with my photo and giving comments. One thing I am not is a photographer! And as for the chips in the dish...the other side looks worse! lol Perhaps I will just use another one next time. I have quite a while until I will need the pictures. My book is no where near completed.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5775554

LOL...really...I'm still laughing every time I think about it!

Carolyn, don't sell yourself short. You show great potential as a photographer. This is coming from someone who, until the age of modern digital cameras, could not take a decent picture. They always looked like I convulsed in mid click!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5775572

NEAL!!!!! You just caused a mouth explosion on my keyboard!!!! Not to mention the screen!!! You rotten Chile you !!! Shame upon you !!!
(((Psssssttt, Wanna borrow my Mailott??? It is black after alll ... ) ROFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

P.S. I have some deeevine drop earrings you can borrow to match your Tiara...
Love you !!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5775592

LOL Neal . i got the mental image of you in a sash also. Giggle.
I like the idea Dusty had with the colors . I would go for that also. :) with the clips
Carol you do relize the pressure is on for the next RU , that if you don't come and bring your wonderful treats and candies . There could be a RIOT !!!! , but please don't feel pressured LOL :) we will just shun you . Muwhahahah... Just kidding :)
Hey Ky get out of the lurkdon and get talking to us and tell us what you've been doing with yourself. :)
well not much here to report
Im kinda grumpy , Dh has been on my butt nagging me on just about everything. Got our gas bill and it was over 500.00 !! so he is a bit *irked* . I havn't had any sugar today either. ugh.
peace
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5775597

NO WAY SUE!!!!!!! You haven't been there long enough for a bill that high...Maybe that is the stench you smelled!!! You could have a Gas leak!!!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5775620

Is there a Round Up planned in the near future? I just love to feed people! no threats needed at all Sue :)

Sounds like a lot of fun.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5775646

we have one every spring and fall.
LOL well that is what he is *irked* about . Most of it is labor ?
well got to run. get the kids in the shower. and my battery is loooow again
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5775711

Welllllll NOW he knows what CWAP you have been dealing with all this time!!!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5775953

Have yall already had the fall one? When is the spring one planned for?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5776121

LOL Neal!
You could use a Plunger as a Sceptre...

The Fall RU was at Cookie's (Joyce) house.
Carolyn the Spring RU will probably be after Groundhog's Day but before Memorial Day...
But that too is subject to change... lol!

If you're ever in the Cincy area though give a Yell.
We get together informally too...

Ric
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5776197

This was Neals last title!
Sorry Neal. You started this idea!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5776230

LOL!

George I have a feeling you are going to die...

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5776256

Yes, I know. He also has some uh.. questionable pics of me, but thank god for the DG policies on using them! LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5776532

Geo... I second that...you are going to pay dearly for that one...;-P

Carolyn...the Spring RU is held on the second Saturday in June at a public park easily accessible by most of us...the Fall Mini RU has been hosted by some members at their home...Jazzpunkin held it last year, and Joycet held it this year...
We are a pretty diverse but tightknit group...from young enough to still be hatching Babies like Badseed, to Great GrandParents like me...

Welcome to the mixer... LOL
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
5:29 AM

Post #5776857

Thank you Dusty. I'm still young enough to make one but my plumbing broke so I cant pop them out anymore lol.

OMG!! LOL at Neal's pic...I have a feeling the next function we all attend will be someones funeral!!

OH my, too funny people! :)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5776864

Trust me. I did a load of doctored photos years ago when I got my first photo program. Neals was just the funniest of them all! I even had it as a screen saver for awhile. I still get a big kick out of it. He started it with his sewer mag. idea!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5777183

LOL, Ric- a plunger as a sceptre is a great idea! George, replace the roses with a plunger and its perfect, LOL- won't Deb be green with envy! (..that pic entered my mind talking about this, LOL)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5777207

Have a great day all...It is 19* here and I am off to Xenia for the first one...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5777541

just a quickie hello and have a great day i m off to the elliptical machine for torture. Ugh .
then off to do the GH cover and hope it stays on. We got a good size burn today with all of brush . Truck is in the shop so we are stuck at home .
big ~~~~~~~~ and (((()))) to you all
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5777553

ROTFLMAO Ya all ain't right! Neal, that is a stunning picture of you, though! And I am sooo jealous that I don't look that good in a swimsuit...never mind the honor of the award.

Psst, Geo...yep, you took your life in own hands on that posting! I just want you to know I'm so sorry I haven't had the chance to meet you in person before this! LOL!

It was 40* when I woke up this morning, but we've already had about an inch of rain. Looks like an indoor day for me. Good thing, so I can finish sorting through all the stuff I pulled out of a big closet the other day when it was too cold for me outside. I did get to spend a couple of hours outside in the sun and garden yesterday...not too hot, not too cold!

Bonnie, hope you are having a great time!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5777635

Rain?? What's that?

I attacked the laundry room yesterday-all 8x10' of it?? I think giving up the basement with the huge laundry room at the other house, has been the hardest to get over! This one always looks awful unless you have no dirty clothes. Eight people live here! We ALWAYS have dirty clothes! I'm trying to figure out how to hang a curtain without covering the window. I enjoy the light that comes in. I don't enjoy staring at the laundry from the kitchen and my desk. LOL

One of my neighbors gave me a very nice changing table. I had hubby bring it in yesterday so the moisture of the garage wouldn't ruin it. I'm starting to sort through baby stuff to figure out where I am. Having six girls, it's pretty easy to see I have little for a boy! I told hubby I want to start picking up a pack of baby wipes here and there and cream and diapers and stuff we KNOW we will need. That way the impact won't be so bad. Most of my big ticket items are really old and beyond use. The stroller/car seat combo seems to have dry rotted. My pack and play is still good and I need to check on the swing still. Much of this pregnancy still seems unreal. My girth tells me it is really real! LOL

I did get two 55 gallon buckets of clothes packed up yesterday and hubby took those out when he brought in the changing table. It was mostly out of season, too small and things that need sewn. Ha! I'll get to that some day! I have been going through stuff in the garage to see what we can garage sale or give to charity.

I moved my elliptical from my room to one of the kids rooms and suddenly a weld is broken. So, it too went to the garage. You wouldn't think that would break in 2 years time. Trust me, I wasn't on it THAT much!

I'm down to about 2 loads of laundry so I guess I'll sort the food shelf and see what we need so hubby can go to the grocery. He's setting the chickens free right now. I should feel bad. He's been doing it the last two months. I've just had no desire to do it in the cold...

Okay, someone shove me out of this chair so I do something??
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5777692

Chele, my friend...hop to it...you're burning daylight! :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5777707

Hubby has the grocery ad...this can't be good. LOL

We are in the dinner rut! Two kids won't eat meat and one of them is trying to give up chicken. Um no! The only veggie hubby likes, we all hate. Frankly, hubby and I are sick of chicken! We replace most meat with turkey or chicken...We did have country fried steak a few days ago and some cheap steaks the week before. Wish a magical menu would pop into my head...

It's not very LIGHT out there!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5777808

Lasagna !!!! Bean soup with pork in it. ( the 15 bean soup mix package ) pancakes and scrambled eggs , spagetti ? pasta with veggies , Ham and eggs omellet. or a quiche ? Beans and rice with ham ? I love breakfast for dinner . LOLLLLL
i got the same problem DD won't eat anything , Tim is worse ! LOL only corn and ketchup is his veg of choice LOLL.
Ds and i eat just about anything .
let me see if i can find my vegatarian quick meal book and i will get back to you
gonna go check in the basement for boy stuff for you. !! also today.
have a great day
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5777926

You guys always make me ^_^!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5778024

Chele, the chicken and turkey smoked sausage are pretty good, and work well for 15 bean soup.

Give us some ideas what the girls do like for inspiration. Will the vegetarians eat tofu? Or what protein do they eat?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5778121

You guys are too funny!! Good morning all.
First...I want you all to take a look at this video. If it helps just ONE child...it is worth it!
http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/index. I was really amazed by it. Chele...please watch it...I know you have a pool.
Ok...well...looks like you all are having fun here...lol.
No therapy today...and Dave has to work the whole day...filling in for someone. Sooooo...I need to find something to do! Not sure what that will be...since I can't do much yet? Supper is leftover soup...so that is taken care of. Maybe I will make some cookies we don't need...lol! And take a nap too!
Hope you all have a great day!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5778501

Did someone say cookies?????????????????

^_^

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5778524

LOL, you can drool all day since I'm baking cookies too! New recipe trials for what I'll make for Christmas gifts...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5778582

UhHum...snickerdoodles are my fav...DH isn't much into cookies, so I don't bake them. He likes things like pineapple upside cake, peach cobbler, strawberry shortcake, cherry-topped cheesecake. Question: since these desserts have fruit, they're healthy, right? LOL!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5778660

Well darn! I just tried that link...and it didn't work??? What's up with that????

Ok...let's try this.

http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/index.html

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 1:44 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5778702

I've never had snickerdoodles.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5778704

Well I baked the cheesecake last night... I had never made this recipe before and not sure if I will make it again. Atleast not in the same way. this one has 4 parts to it, the crust which is only grahm crackers and butter, (mine is more complex usually) a key lime custard on the bottom which is about 3/4 inch thick, then the cheese mixture which has lime juice and peel with sugar and more eggs. Then a mixture of sour cream and sugar on top.

The crust did not have enough butter I suppose and became soggy on the sides. The custard which is only lime juice, sugar, and eggs is sooo strong and a very strange green color plus it is more a gel than a solid which does not stand up to the heavy cream cheese on top of it. It squishes out when you take a bite or even try to cut it. The filling is pretty good but very dense and what the point of the sour cream was on top I will never understand. It just seems lost.

All in All it tastes pretty good together, but not great. next time I will try it with my own crust, put the custard on top, and mix the sour cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it.

I was so excited to try this recipe since it come out of Gourmet magazine and was one of their top picks. I know I followed the recipe exactly but it sure isnt my idea of a prize recipe. Especially when it takes half again more time to make than my white chocolate truffle cheesecake which is a 3 hour ordeal in itself!

I guess I will tinker with it until I make it worthy. The way it is i would not think of serving it to a customer.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5778741

Yum..

DARIUS!! I can't believe you've never had snickerdoodles!! One of my favs...course you guys know me...only one cookie I ever met I hated...Filled raisin. Yuk. Don't like raisins, so Oatmeal raisin isn't high on my list either, but I CAN pick the raisins out!

Welcome, Carolyn...hope you don't find us too weird. ^_^

Neal...love it girlfriend... :O)

OMG George!!!! The duck is awesome!!!!!!!!! I love it! Are they just hanging out at the pond?

Hey Marcy...hope you didn't get in too much trouble today.

Bertie is finally getting her computer. Mark brought it last night and they're setting her roadrunner up today. Bout time...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5778778

Carolyn...hmmmm...I want to say it looks yummy..even with the oozing...lol! I LOVE cheesecake!!
Joyce...I haven't EVEN gotten into trouble yet...lol. NO COOKIES either! Can't seem to make up my mind what to do? So here I am...on the puter! Yay for Bertie...with the puter!! Of course you are getting her on here too ...right???
I have to say...Snickerdoodle are not my fav cookie...but I do like them. My grandma made them ALL the time. Me...I would rather have a choc chip cookie! And with grandma...if you had to ask what kind she had? You didn't get any!!! LOL!! So I ate a LOT of snickerdoodles!! She was tight with the choc chips!!

Edited to say...I really liked those ducks too George!

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 2:16 PM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5778784

I'd rather have a sugar cookie, snickerdoodle or butter cookie than any other kind. That's why I don't make them... :O(

I did make rice krispie treats for the grandgirls last night. They were happy.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5778845

Okay, y'all have convinced me to make a batch of snickerdoodles today to try.

Today, I wanted to conquer Palmiers, my favorite pastry... but homemade puff pastry takes 2-3 days, and I have no frozen puff pastry. :(

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5778925

What are Palmiers?

If you don't like those snickerdoodles...I know where you can toss them!!!! ^_^ They don't call me cookie for nuttin!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5778984

darius have you ever deep fried your left over puff pastry ! oh its soooooo gooooood. I m not one who deep frys , maybe 1 time a year for chicken . Julia Childs does it and then sprinkles with cinnamon.
Carol to bad on the cheescake. I never have had good luck with graham cracker crust ? maybe its just me ? lolllll unless its a really light whipped chocolate filing. I love Gourment mag !!! I have two that i really love and keep around . I have one for cookies and one for cakes. Whoops sorry its a Bon Appatite mag LOLL sorry but i do have some of my old Gourmet around somewhere.
Hey maybe we need to do a COOKIE SWAP RU !!!
Marcy good link. We used to live in AZ and child drowning were rampant !!!! Everyone has a pool in AZ . Gates and guards are not a state law i think. Might be by now but when we were there they weren't . 8 yrs .
Well i got my vac and seal to work for my last two pies. Apple crumbs . You think the stuessell topping will freeze well ? i forgot to add flour so it got a bit soggy but i did add coconut . lollll
I M POOPED i did 3 miles on the elliptical and then i couldn't take it , I had to have sugar !!!! i dove into my kids halloween candy and woofed down 2 chocolate bars LOLLLLL " oh there is something so wrong with me " !!!!!
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5779000

I have only met very few cookies I didnt like. And most of them were sent to us from my brother in Germany. Lebchukan? not sure on the spelling but they were Nasty! Also in that bunch were lots make with marzipan and filled with licorice paste...that bite got spit in the trash!

My lawyer calls me all the time to make her snickerdoodles. Normally about 8 dozen at a time lol. She cant get enough.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5779018

Halloween candy is EVIL! lol (doing the same here)

And this recipe come from Bon Appatite mag as well. Got it confused with my Gourmet one. I have the 50th anniversiary edition so if you see this recipe, pass it by lol.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5779043

Every year i make the chocolate fruit cake soaked in Brandy ! oh sooooo gooooood. Which reminds me i have to find it !! not good at remembering a reciepe no matter how many times i make it ! ?
Yes candy is just evil in general !! LOLLLL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5779139

Palmiers are often called Elephant Ears at bakery shops (and expensive). There are elephant ear recipes that are not made with puff pastry, but the real things are much better.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5779268

Stop talking about all those baked goods and candy! You are killing me. :)

Okay, our menu issues:
Budget $600 month for food/give or take.
Two don't eat beef or pork.
Six are sick of chicken. LOL
Four love beef.

For the upcoming week:
1)Bean soup, one pot with ham, one without, PB&J/grilled cheese.
2)Hoagies (1/2 of Steakums left) and turkey burgers for two, fries.
3)Chicken N Dumplings
4)Mexican wraps-ground turkey, taco seas, refried beans, sour cream, veggies
5)Coneys-meat or meatless chili, cheese, chips, onions optional
6)Veggie soup or veggie soup with meat, grilled cheese
7)Chicken patty sandwiches, pasta, veggie
8)Homemade pizza (darn it! forgot to put Mozz on the list!)

Total=$155.11 Food=$113.87 (also includes bread, buns, potatoes, onions, pop, cereal, veg oil, shortening, granola bars, syrup, pancake mix, cookies, paper towels, toilet paper, etc).

It's just hard to come up with one meal that 8 different people like. Someone is always complaining! We try not to have the same thing more than 2-3 times a month max. Now it's getting to cold to grill...

The kids actually like the veggie lasagna so we do that and also a meat lasagna sometimes. Thanks Sue! We had breakfast for dinner last night-sausage links, eggs every style and biscuits.

Carolyn, I LOVE cheesecake but that one looks like it's puking!

Neal, I've not tried the 15 bean soup. We get the Great Northern beans for free.

I've not done much at all today! Did the menu and grocery list and forgot to put the mozzarella on there. I sat and cut up a pretty new mini blind that met with the kids. Oh well, cheap plant tags. I put on two pots of bean soup, helped hubby put the groceries away then ran kid number 2 to basketball. She gets done at 5 which is when kid number 5 has soccer. Hubby gets that job! I'm going to help kid number 4 with homework. Oh, the life.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5779489

Chele, your family eats pretty well given that budget. Variety with those preferences must be hard, though. My budget for one is $150; that includes cat food (4 cats including 1 who is strictly outside and doesn't always come for food), cat litter, and canning supplies, but I also get $14 a month in food stamps (whoopee).

The snickerdoodles were/are pretty good, thanks... I like rather plain cookies anyway. My sister's kid wants me to help her make my recipe for choc. mint brownies... a brownie layer, a creamy mint layer and then a semi-sweet choc. layer. Right now I'm refusing because she's being most unpleasant (and lazy). I used to make a lot of fancy holiday treats, not as fancy as the truffles Carolyn makes.

I love key lime pie, and this time of year sometimes the bigger Walmarts carry real key limes. It takes about 40-60 key limes. I'll have to look next time I venture away from this town.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5779555

Living off the state is definitely not fun. I know a lot of people that either pass it up and go without being proud or hide it like it is a huge disgrace. I can worry about my dignity later and feed my kids now. It's the first time we've ever gotten help and Lord knows we've paid enough into the system. Our income on unemployment is less than $2,000/month. Our food stamps went from $1,000 a month to $600 this month because we are FINALLY getting the unemployment. Every little bit helps. We don't have enough coming in to pay all the bills but we are doing what we can. Let me say as many others have, that Countrywide sucks eggs! They would honestly sit on vacant properties than work with you.

Now that I got that out, I have to keep the menu varied or I meet with restless natives. LOL We don't eat the same stuff all the time. Most of the summer, we grill out, eat lots of salads and pastas, fresh veggies and salsa. It's sort of nice to enjoy all the soups and heavy foods in the colder months.

I like snickerdoodles! They are more of a cake type cookie to me. I think I had them for the first time when I worked at Target. One of the bosses bought them for us for doing a good job. They are a nice light cookie. If I'm in a real cookie mood, it's got to be peanut butter or chocolate chip! I also like iced oatmeal and plain oatmeal with NO RAISINS! Some of those no bake cookies are pretty good too but more like candy.

Ummm, I like to eat. LOL

We do make goodies at Christmas time that we do not make the rest of the year-like buckeyes, potato candy, fudge, caramel, etc. I don't think I've ever made truffles.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #5779559

buckeyes? I thought that was a nut-like seed from a tree??

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5779807

darius it is LOL but there is a candy that is a chocolate with a peanut butter center and it looks like a buckeye. KInda like a rececces Peanut butter cup that is a round ball. They are yummmmmy.
Chelle i think you are doing great !!! . To feed 8 peps and no one complain , well it just aint done. LOLL
If you get a large roast , you can do a roast one night , beef hot shots the next. then beef burritos with eggs and potatos the next night ! I know the price of a big roast is scary !!! but it goes a loooooong way and if you think of it as price per serving . Thar you have it. :) Maybe you already new this ? and i m just babbling on about stuff you already know , if i m. Sorry :) kisses.
What stupid time of year to start a diet !!! duh. There is something seriously wrong with me ?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5779826

Well...I never got any cookies made today...so enjoy yours Darius...lol!! What I finally did, was to put the loveseat and chair on Craig's List...and wow! In just a matter of minutes...I had wayyyyy too many emails on it! The second one said he lived in Eaton and could come right away to get it! I asked him to wait until we had supper ...and then come. He did. He was very nice...had help...and knew how to get an awkward piece of furniture out of a small doorway without tearing everything up.
So that didn't take long at all! On Yahoo...it was on for days...and no response. Now I have room for my exercise equipment in here...woohoo!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5779994

Yippee! Marcy gets an in house gym! (ouch) LOL

Buckeyes are delicious! It's a mix of peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioner's sugar. You mix all that and roll them into one inch balls. Then you roll each one in melted semi-sweet chocolate, leaving a space not covered on the top so they look like a buckeye. Some people use parafin or shortening in the chocolate. I prefer them without. My Great Aunt and Grandma made them so they are very special to me. Same with the potato candy and fudge. :)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5780404

You all are killing me with food talk! Thank god my chicken is almost done for the chicken and dumplings. Now I have to add cornbread.

Busy week. We decided it was fall cleaning week. We tear the whole house apart, clean everything and put back together. I decided to add some new accessories and the next thing you know. Furniture had to be moved, new lamps(my land lady just bought 2 gorgeous crystal lamps for 90.00 each and paid 35 each for shades and gave them to me. She said they didn't work??) She also had bought a new huge green filigree mirror for 150.00 and gave that to me also. Talk about luck. I have been wanting new lamps and needed something large for a wall and my colors are in sage green colors.

Then cleaned closets and found all kinds of goodies to add to the house and the place looks really good. Ready for the winter. It always takes a little prodding to get everyone going on major house projects, but this weekend we are having the whole gang over for our fall harvest dinner. I am doing a apple stack cake, pork loin cooked with apples and other fall spices, loaded mashed potatoes and beer bread. The others all make harvest theme goodies also. We will eat like pigs!! I am a little worried about putting that many people in this house, but it always seems to get bigger when you have good company.
Well I better run. The chickens done and I'm getting a lot of gripping from the boys about being hungry!
George
Joyce the ducks are flying ducks. They are a type of wood duck. They roost off the ground and make nest in tree hollows. I cheated with that pic. Thats what mine will look like when he and his girl get their habitat finished. I am enclosing the koi pond and giving them the whole area to live in and hopefully make babies. My hope is that with the ducks, koi and oriental styled plants it will be a nice garden and habitat for them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5780648

So Geo what time is that dinner of yours this weekend ? Hmmmmm. i might need to show up . IT sounds sooo o goood
well been watching alot of tv today . Veterans day and all. I like the special that come on . CNN had a good one and we just saw one on the nurses of Nam . Very interesting. Yep thought of our little Dusty while watching it. :)
take care and God bless us , everyone of us .
Sue
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5781078

Michele, I thought it looked like that too lol. good thing it tasted better than it looked!

Have you tried various casseroles? I make several that everyone seems to love. You can never go wrong with a good shepards pie... make it half beef half vegetarian. It is super cheap too.

I have been where you are, it sucks, but you will make your way out of it eventually. I did. Never let anyone make you feel like you dont deserve the help! Almost Everyone needs help at one time or another, and if they dont ask for it then they just suffer needlessly in my opinion.

((Huggs!))

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5781715

Good morning everyone !
getting my hair done today . The grey is not behaving and eye brows gone wild. HA.
i hope everyone had a great day
up in the high 30 's here
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5781717

I knew I liked you Carolyn. ;)

One of hubby's favorites is noodle burger-which is just ground beef, tomato paste, egg noodles and seasoning. We still make that, sometimes two smaller ones, one with beef and the other with turkey or just one huge one with ground turkey. We also love lasagna. The girls use to love pot pies with Thanksgiving leftovers too. They've gotten funky about stuff. They won't even touch quiche!

Sue, we can work a roast down to nothing! :) We do the roast, then stew (as soup, over noodles or with bread), then hubby likes it over toast. The big girls will eat the veggies from the roast crock pot and eat chicken with it. They'll also eat the spaghetti sauce out of the pot the meatballs were cooked in. They only think they are fooling someone. LOL

Neal, turkey products are getting harder to find around here! Kroger stopped carrying them and also Walmart. We did find turkey meatballs at Kmart and had those the other night but they had an icky spongy texture and kid number three hated them. The flavor was okay.

Budget wise, I think we do okay for a big family. We try to stock up on canned goods and frozen veggies when they are on sale. We often take advantage of the 10/$10 deals at Kroger. Sometimes hubby buys more at Walmart. I usually make the list and he does the shopping. He does better because he can get out of here with no kids. LOL

Gosh George, you got some great stuff! I never have that kind of luck! I don't even have a sense of style anymore. I like all sorts of stuff that does not go together. Thankfully I don't have money to blow or it's hard telling what this place would look like. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5781740

Chele, you are such a good Mom trying to accomodate everyone's tastes! I can't even imagine what you must go through trying to pull meals together. You and DH are also doing a great job of accomadating all the girls interests and getting them to their games.

Hope everyone is doing good this morning! :-)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008

Post #5781766

There are times we scream "I am not a short order cook!". LOL A few nights ago, we had salad dinner which is tuna salad, fruit, crackers, sometimes cottage cheese, etc. My husband nicely made dinner for us all. He calls the kids in for dinner and my 15 year old goes off about not liking mayonnaise on her tuna. Hubby about busted a vein. He just needs to learn the rules. hahahaha

I'm sitting here looking at the laundry, the dishes (my 13 year old is sick so we let her off the hook) and wondering where I'm going to start...Guess I'll dress the 4 year old from preschool and go from there.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5781824

LOL about Craig not knowing the ropes of food freakiness. :D

I'm kind of in a stupor, got to bed late and got up early. If I didn't get up when Howie did, I would have slept way too late. The new phones alarm is LOUD. Need to change that ringer or I'll wake up as I peel myself off the ceiling each morning.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5781825

Chele, do you ever buy the institutional cans of vegetables? They are pretty cheap and feed a crowd. I'm thinking chili beans, just add meat. Green beans with potatoes and ham cooked together.Tuna cassorole (cooked on the stove top). I've got a cook book of beans, pastas and rice recipes. I'll check it for some ideas for you if you want me to.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5781834

Dusy, help! This thread is getting really slow to load for us on dialup and wi-fi! :-(
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5781842

Do all the kids like beans? I was going to say, chili you could make veggie and with meat. Howie and I do a lot of easy beans and rice dishes using brown rice (more fiber and more satisfying), beans, sauteed onions, canned diced tomatoes, and spices. I'll make up a big batch and we'll have it for meals the next few days. We're just trying to please the two of us, and neither of us minds eating the same thing if it's good. Sometimes we'll freeze the leftovers into portion sizes and have them on hand for quick meals later.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008

Post #5781857

Oh Kimberley, he has fits worse than the girls! The oldest two are in the "that's stupid" phase which really gets his goat. Then he gets all ticked off because they don't listen. I keep telling him "Congratulations! You have teen daughters!" and hoping he will catch on. We all knew everything at that age. LOL I've heard him say many times how stupid he thought his parents were but when he reached adulthood, he realized they were the smartest people he knew.

msrobin, sometimes we buy huge cans of stuff and sometimes smaller. We are very good about price checking and seeing what is cheaper by the ounce. I'll open ten cans to save a buck. chuckle I have actually been wanting to try a tuna casserole using home made egg noodles. I found it on the web one day. Seems like I remember it having velveeta, home made egg noodles, tuna and some other minute things. I'm not big on tuna casserole but that sounded good.

An elder at the church told me how easy it is to make egg noodles so I've been whipping them out. I should make a bunch to freeze because we have plenty of eggs and the noodles are cheap to make. Darn things are $3 a bag at the store! We love those fat frozen ones so I make my own now.

Well, I got Craig and Maddie out the door so now I'm going to throw on some clothes, throw on some laundry then whip up some special order barrettes. :) I'm already dreading this weekends 5am wake up time...The article finally made it online. :) http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=158824&TM=32411.64
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008

Post #5781859

Dusty's gone for the day, I bet. I started a new one. Here you go: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923029/
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5782012

Chele, recently I've been looking up recipes for making my own sausage because all the stuff you buy has so many preservatives. Breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, and Chorizo don't need to be stuffed in casings and are very easy. They can easily be made with ground turkey or chicken, and you'd get better flavor and texture.

In the next couple of weeks I need to go to the Food Co op in Lexington. If any of you need herbs or spices, I'd be glad to pick them up for you. They're so cheap when you're not paying for packaging- you just scoop into bags and weigh them. The amount of most herbs and spices in the store containers average 50cents- $1, and if you keep your spice jars you're in good shape. I usually have more than will fit in my containers, and just keep the bags in the freezer (well..I keep them all in the freezer). The herbs and spices are much better quality there too. Sue, weren't you having a tough time finding Ginger? With holidays approaching, its a good way to stock up without spending a bundle. They're light weight, so it should be fairly inexpensive to send them- still a significant savings I'm sure.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5782075

That is really inexpensive! I wish we had a local food co-op like that here, Neal. There was one in Granville years ago, I think. We might take you up on that offer. I'll have to ask Howie if there's anything in particular he'd like. Do they have good mixes of peppercorns? We love grinding fresh pepper. Mmmmm.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5782190

Oh yeah! Its the only way I can afford peppercorns for the grinder.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5782903

Well Neal would be to modest to tell you all, but he made the cover!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5783476

ROFL!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5784086

Psst - new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923029/
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5784511

LOL!
Killer George!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America