Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cameras and Photography: Megxon S307 camera- Anyone have software/instruction manual?

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 4, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5756821

Hi, all. I recently bought a Megxon S307 camera at a good price on eBay. Silly me - I didn't think about making sure it came with software and an instruction manual. I thought these things would surely be available somewhere online, but I can't find them anywhere. I found a blog from someone in a similar situation that finally got instructions in Chinese, then got them translated into broken English, which turned out to not be very useful.

I just thought I would check to see if anyone here happens to have the same camera or another model from Megxon that could help me out with some software and an instruction manual. I'm not sure how the copyright applies in a case like this, so if you would prefer to contact me by D-mail rather than posting here, that would be fine.

Thanks for any help you can provide! My ancient Polaroid PDC 700 is about ready for the junk pile. If I never find the software/manual for the Megxon, I guess I will just have to chalk up the $26 I spent for it as yet another "learning experience." LOL

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5757265

I found a web site for you. Maybe you already know about it:

http://www.megxon.com

Also, I have found blogs and forums with people who complain about poor construction, faulty USB connections, lousy web site, inexistent customer support, made in China, never again, etc. It doesn't look good, Jeremy. The web site has a CONTACT US link. You could try clicking on that.

Usually, when I am missing an instruction manual, I log onto

http://www.retrevo.com

It didn't work for that product. Sorry, my friend.

Take care and good luck with all that.
Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2008
5:53 AM

Post #5757944

Hi, Sylvain. No, I hadn't come across that website. Thanks so much for sending it! I think I saw the website come up in searches, but I was confused by the Tekxon name, but now I see that it is the company that makes Megxon.

I found a user manual on the site for an S320 model which seems close enough to my S307 in functions that I think I will be able to figure it out.

I sent an E-mail to the Taiwan "contact us" address. I used simple words to request drivers, etc. We'll see what happens.

Well, so much for impulse purchases to try to beat the clock on an auction that was about to expire. I may have to go back and pay more and get something I can actually use if I can't come up with all the accoutrements for this camera.

Jeremy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5760262

My chinese is a bit rusty but your message could have looked something like this.

AyaH, me buyet youse camla, see? Me needi stluxian bouky, see? Me stuk. Preaz rosh. tks

But again, like I said: my chinese is a bit rusty and the people at the chinese take-out restaurant don't seem to understand me. They must be from a distant province inland . Yeah, that must be it. But their deferse, I have to say the food is great.

Let me know how this turns out. Best of luck with that.
Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5931227

Well, here's a happy update! I bought a USB cable from Radio Shack to fit the Megxon S307 camera, put in some new batteries, fumbled around pushing all the buttons until I finally found the on/off switch, used the "Install new hardware" in Windows XP, opened up the photo viewer in Picassa, so now the camera actually works! I even accidentally made a movie of a few seconds duration when I was fumbling with the buttons. I don't think my pan shot of a plastic fast food restaurant cup situated in my computer room is even worthy of UTube, but I was amazed to see the little camera actually could make a film!

Interesting in a very odd and somewhat macabre way -- the former owner of the camera was apparently a Bubba the Deer Stalker type. There are several shots of dead deer being iced down in an SUV cargo space, some human baby photos, and a few eerie out of focus images that seem straight out of Blair Witch Project. One photo is of people in purple/red hues, possibly at night by a campfire. The other is too blurry to determine what it is, with only some green swirls that could be human figures in a very dark setting.

I'm now wondering if this is a relic from the "Twilight Zone" that has been updated to the contemporary era by having the strange creature that crawled out of the TV set in "The Ring" emerge from the tiny lens port. I may never turn it on again, even though I now that I have it working, for fear of demonic possession. LOL

I actually ended up with two working cameras. When it looked hopeless that I would ever get the Megxon to work, I snapped up a local offer on Craig's List for a Nikon Coolpix 3200 for $25 that works great, but actually seems to have fewer features and controls than the Megxon S302. I think the Megxon also has a 8X zoom (if I recall correctly from what I read about it) versus 4x zoom of the Nikon. In either case, maybe I will finally get some closeup shots of flowers without them being woefully out of focus.

Thanks for your assistance in this dilemma!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America