Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: What do I need to know?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 7, Views: 257
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5759270

I was given this passiflora last spring and put in directly into the garden soil. At about ten inches, she gave me a cluster of blooms. I didn't see another bloom all summer. She was treated like my other passiflora vines with fertilizer and water, full sun for the most part, and the others did well. I guess I need to know more about this one. She is blooming a cluster since being dug, potted, and brought into the house. (Picture taken today.) Is she picky...need less sun, what temps, etc.? Thanks for any help I can get. I'd sure like to see more blooms from her.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5770208

Nice One Shriley Paul
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5770698

Thanks Paul. I hope I can figure out what it likes by next summer.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5770712

I Belive it would Like to be in Florida With Me LOL
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5770719

If I could just get a piece to root, it could make it to Florida. I've not had good luck trying. Now I have to wait for more to cut on.
mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5779050

Some Passiflora prefer to bloom on shoots that aren't growing upwards anymore, but instead they've begun to trail downwards. Did you have any downward trailing stems when the plant was growing outside? Sometimes some Passiflora will bloom under stressed, even if conditions wouldn't otherwise warrant it. Perhaps digging up the plant stressed it enough to bloom?

Just a couple ideas.
~Nicholas
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #5780962

Thanks. I'll sure watch next year to see if I notice the downward facing shoots. Maybe I should whack it with a stick once in a while and stress it out. If that works...I'll let you know. Thanks for your help.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #5954666

I have a Passi LM that is blooming more from the shoots that are coming up from near the bottom of the plant. Right now it's been on my front porch w/ 20/20 screen Southwest exposure. I've got it on the porch to keep the Zebra Longwings off it till I can get P. Incarnata which is more suitabale for them. Actually it's blooming all over, but more at the botton from new shoots. Am planning on trying layering some of the shoots down there.
mj

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America