Photo by Melody

Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms: Lavender

Communities > Forums > Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender bloomsReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5760069

Nice Article Paul
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5760088

Thanks, Paul! Can you grow lavender, or is the FL humidity too much for it?
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5760138

Nope ive Tried a Few Times As Soon As it Gets Humid it Dies
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5760364

Bummer... it gets pretty humid here too, but probably not quite as much for as long as where you are. A light colored reflective gravel much does seem to help.
vt2sc95
Pinopolis, SC

November 10, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5774706

I grow lavendar on what I call my hell strip - up both sides of a cement driveway here in the LowCountry of SC.
I add gravel and lime when planting and mulch with light colored sea shells. This allows the sun to reflect back up into the plant, helping to keep the plants dry. Around mid-February, I cut the plants way back. We return to VT for the summer during the month of May. The plants receive no attention after their spring cut back and are in great shape when we return home in October. Have entered cuttings in the fall fair flower show and won blue ribbons.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5775390

I've got a plant in the "inferno zone" in a little rock garden between the sidewalk and the road, and it does pretty well there too! I'm glad to know the light colored hard mulch works for you -- I imagine sea shells should be similar in their effects to light colored gravel or sand, and maybe as a bonus they would add just a bit of lime to the soil over time.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lessons from a lavender farm: Growing, harvesting and using lavender blooms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kudos LarryR 1 Nov 6, 2008 11:16 AM
Lavender lust Hemophobic 4 Nov 6, 2008 6:50 PM
Greart article! Abutilon 3 Nov 6, 2008 9:33 PM
Growing tip DriftingDude 7 Nov 17, 2008 8:29 PM
Lavender Gardens ediesd 1 Nov 13, 2008 4:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America