Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Bulb Lovers Unite: A Year of Bloom: Great

Communities > Forums > Article: Bulb Lovers Unite: A Year of Bloom
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bulb Lovers Unite: A Year of BloomReplies: 5, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5761132

Great Article Good Pics Paul
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5774894

My computer had a brain cramp so I think I lost my thread. What lovely pix! What is the last one? It looks like an iris growing on an apple tree!
You obviously don't have the lily beetle yet in Ohio. It is spreading ruin here in Massachusetts, not only decimating the lilies but appearing on the little fritillaria. I hate using poisons, but when it came to my precious Canada lilies I attacked with a can of Raid Flying Insect. It helped, but one must spray constantly to keep the little nasties at bay.
I apologise if this duplicates the one I tried to previous before. Jean
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5775568

Quiltjean, sorry to have confused you on that last image! It is indeed a Dutch Iris, but it's growing up between the leaves of a Scheffelera I had in the same bed!

Thanks for the nice comments.

On another subject, we don't have anything here that eats the lilies, except the occasional earwig munch. I'm interested in your bug. Is "Lily Beetle" the real name?

Toni
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6114294

Sorry to be so long. I have no idea what its Latin name is--I only do plant names. It is red, curved sides with blunt ends, perhaps 3/8". The larvae hatch in the ground, I think, then travel up on the plant and disguise themselves with their own excrement carried on their backs. They are not dainty eaters! They make large holes not only in the leaves but in the blossoms.
My son lives in Vermont. He got the lily beetle, apparently in the soil of a lily, so be careful of sources for lilies.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

November 8, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9327679

The lily beetle is now in parts of Calgary.
They are trying to get a predatory wasp which would attack them.
I do not have it in my yard, but one of my daughters had her lilies decimated by it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9327888

Great time of year to see these pictures. it is pretty dismal outside up here. All gray, frozen and desolate. I really enjoyed seeing the flowers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bulb Lovers Unite: A Year of Bloom Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
test Terry 1 Nov 7, 2008 2:11 AM
Formatting tonileland 0 Nov 7, 2008 5:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America