Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Sunflowers as sentinels: Sunflower cross pollenation.

Communities > Forums > Article: Sunflowers as sentinels
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sunflowers as sentinelsReplies: 1, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ronmac46
Fair Oaks, CA

November 7, 2008
4:50 AM

Post #5761726

Do you get many different types of sunflowers each year, that are not at all like the ones you planted? I also have noticed that the red and orange colors seem to breed out. Guess I'll have to just keep buying some red ones and keep introducing them. I have found some wild ones that grow along the hyway around Woodland, california, they seem to be very drought tollerant as they get no water all summer and thrive. I got some seed from some and will give them a try next spring. My sunflower forest was the center of my garden!

thanks for your article.

Thumbnail by ronmac46
Click the image for an enlarged view.

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5763183

I have a patch of reds that come back but maybe that's because they are off on their own a bit. But I'll watch next summer to see whether you're right about the cross-marrying!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sunflowers as sentinels Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love Sunflowers! Herkimer_flower 1 Sep 1, 2008 7:16 PM
Beautiful Sunflowers rosewood513 8 Sep 8, 2008 4:53 PM
How encouraging! gloriag 3 Sep 2, 2008 2:48 AM
Well written, fun, informative epan 3 Jun 22, 2013 8:05 PM
What's not to love bjspeachyn5 2 Sep 2, 2008 12:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America