Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: salvia arborescens

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 7, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
amaranto
Livorno
Italy

November 7, 2008
6:15 AM

Post #5761895

Anyone has any informations about this Salvia? I have read that it is a small tree from Haiti.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

November 7, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5762621

Good luck getting it. Check out Haiti from Google Earth, and you can see it is a barren rock. The eastern 2/3 of Hispaniola is the Dominican Republic, and it still has many of its forests. There may be refugia in Haiti, but I suspect these may not be well enough guarded.
amaranto
Livorno
Italy

November 7, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5763781

Thank you Rich.Haiti is in fact almost completely deforested.Perhaps in Dominican Republic S.arborescens is still alive.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any information on this species.
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5764144

I doubt if it is a tree, as such, probably a large weedy species. I have read from Alziar's list that it is a perennial with white flowers. A picture on the NYBG herbarium site, also mentioning that the flowers are white, indicates a very congested inflorescence, with many small flowers. Would love to see it, nevertheless, but Haiti is not a destination on my priority list!
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

June 4, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8608787

This was recently collected by a botanist in Florida, from the Dominican Republic. Apparently it is like a tree, not at all spectacular, but extremely rare.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

July 2, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8668475

I now have three plants of it, and hope it proves to be a reliable summer bloomer. We need good bee forage here in the southeastern USA. After the copious production of nectar from tulip poplars, summers offer scant nectar, and stressed hives undergo colony collapse.

It is supposed to have small blue flowers.

I'd also like to try out S. flocculosa from Ecuador. I saw this in the hills above Watsonville in 2008, and the plants were a mass of small deep blue flowers and reached 12 to 15 feet tall.
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

July 5, 2011
2:51 AM

Post #8673039

There is a photo of S. arborescens on my website...www.robinssalvias.com .
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

July 17, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8698002

The flowers suggest that arborescens may be moth pollinated, certainly not honeybee or hummingbird pollinated.

Salvia gesneriflora also can grow 15 ft (5 meters) in one year. Even S. flocculosa can get pretty tall, and forms a tall (8 - 12 ft) shrub loaded with many small deep blue flowers

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America