Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Cookie Sprinkles

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 17, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5762904

What say you on the shelf life for these things? I didn't die growing up eating them but can recall using the same bottles year after cookie decorating year.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5764710

I use the same ones year after year. It's just sugar after all, and they are sealed.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5764721

That's what I was thinking. :)

I like to buy the seasonal colored ones AFTER the holiday because they are like 75% off. Wanted to make sure it was safe though because we can have a bottle for a whole decade for as often as we make cookies 'round here haha.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

November 8, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5764737

I think that as long as moisture hasn't gotten into the bottle so they are all stuck together, they should be just fine. We raised 5 children to adulthood, we always used the sprinkles until it was empty, no matter how long it took, and I can't ever remember one of them getting sick from cookies. (Although I did tell them that they might if they ate too many)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5764751

HA!
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5767065

Those sprinkles are like the honey in Egyptian tombs. I'll bet you could leave them to your great-great-grandchildren and they'd still be just the same.

Carol
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5767093

LOL!
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 11, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5777130

I reused them as well. I am not dead as far as I can tell.

Plus, I can't imagine anything harmful surviving the baking process.

(I am reminded of party I was at as a kid where the cupcakes had those silver ball decorations in the frosting. I guess they were a novelty at the time. A panicked debate ensued among the moms after some of the kids ate them. Are they edible? They don't look edible! Should we race to the hospital? The embarrassed hostess mom had to explain that they could be eaten.)
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2008
9:35 AM

Post #5777131

Dragées. I don't think they're legal in California, but you'd have to eat a lot of them to do real harm.

I'd be more concerned about breaking a tooth on the darned things.

Carol
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 11, 2008
9:44 AM

Post #5777134

I never knew they had a name! And they are awful. Doesn't everyone scrape them off of the cookie? They are a triumph of appearance over substance.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5777756

I love the silver balls! In fact saw them grocery shopping in the baking aisle by spices but in an "international" section. They were 10 bucks a jar! They even had (never seen before) PASTEL colored jar of them and those were 10 but red ones (NOT red hots) were only 5 lol, guess it has to do with the cost of that metallic coating?

I don't bake sprinkles into my cookies. I prefer frosting and then a light sprinkle as decoration. Oh man growing up my sibs would decorate the cookies and there'd be GOBS of sprinkles and just enough icing to hold them to the center of the cookies. Yuck. I would always hold out the ones I'd do (frosting to the edge, just a touch of sprinkle or none) and then who's do you think still were eaten first!? MINE!

Funny, I'd bet they are banned in CA. :)
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5778710

The FDA doesn't consider the metallic dragées to be food. (Makes sense.) The silver ones used to contain mercury, which is really scary.

Sellers can't ship to California buyers because they were banned after some sort of lawsuit in 2003. Probably similar to the lady who sued McDonalds when she spilled coffee in her lap.

Carol

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5778759

Ugh, hate stories like that---all the lawsuits that is.

Containing mercury that IS scary.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5830478

I am moving and you know what my sprinkles that are at best 15 years old are moving with me. If there is enough in the bottle to warrant $30.00 per carton to move it.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

November 25, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5830496

Check out the flat rate boxes at the post office. You could send them overnight to your new place for less than than. Just use some loose newspaper to pack them. Seriously.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2009
10:19 AM

Post #6039474

Okay so what do you think the shelf life be on after holiday chocolates? I'm talking like Christmas m&m's lol. I bought the bags of them at 69 cents (!!!) divided out the reds from the greens (it's easy, you can watch TV same time and with rubber gloves even the kids can help!). Reds = valentines cookies, greens = st. patty's day (yes we honor the Irish here!).

But there was NO expiration on any of the bags???

DH sealed them in foil packs with oxygen absorbers but other than that I've no clue.
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 23, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6040144

I wouldn't worry about it a bit, as long as they don't get too warm. March isn't that far away, and sealed in foil packs they should be just fine.
For a little while when I was going to college I worked part time at a candy factory. (It's not as appealing as you might think.) They were making chocolate bunnies in the summertime...maybe 9 months ahead of when they were going to be sold.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6040426

LOL thanks ooojen!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America